ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Edey discussed on 670 the Score

Why am I not surprised one of the hurt butts belonged to you? Lol

Yes with Aidan it would have been 63-21, way better.

By the way, how'd Gillis do last game?

Figures you’d chirp about facing the worst frontcourt in the Big Ten. Northwestern is least and last in rebounding. Even so, in their 45 minutes, our alternating forwards had only four points in the paint, to my point. A more impressive set of 10 combined rebounds came against the third-best board team, Wisconsin. Although the two had only six points in their 39 minutes, their boardwork was vital. They also did an outstanding job standing outside with Crowl, watching play inside where the Badger forwards were scoring 34. Thankfully Lance really manned up -- 6-2 against 6-7.

I will say, if Edey can refine his perimeter shot the way Gillis did, we’ll be talking NBA All-Star.

Well, thank goodness. No lawn could ever handle that much manure.

I was around to hear your first words. Said the future champion of deserters, “No mas.”
I'm sure you were around to hear a lot of first words gramps. You'd think you be smarter with all that experience but some folks never get better I guess.

I'm sure you were around to hear a lot of first words gramps. You'd think you be smarter with all that experience but some folks never get better I guess.

Oh, come on. You’ve got better than that.

Like … so old, my first basketball game was Naismith vs. Spalding.

Or … so old, the first gleam in my eye was the first fire.

Or … so old, my first pin-up girl was a carving named Eve.

Or you're so old you got apples and popcorn balls trick or treating on Halloween.

Or you're so old you walked 4 miles to school in a snow storm all winter.

Or you're so old, you bought penny candy.

Or you're so old that flip-flops were called thongs.

Been there.

Reactions: Born Boiler

I save my best material for people worthy of it.

Reactions: pboiler18
Why can't anyone just enjoy what he is now? Why must we always get stuck in our "but what about the NBA" type of thinking, and enjoy the greatness of Zach today?

My advice? Stop listening to sports-related talk on the radio by people who don't really know anything about anything!
Agree 100%. None of his college achievements will be diminished or elevated based on what he does or doesn't do at the next level. However, to state he's "just big" is such a stupid comment, but I expect nothing less than stupid comments from the sports "commentators."

You list many good points. I hope he can find the right team that runs the type of offense that best matches Zach’s skills, and gives him a realistic and honest chance. After that, I unfortunately believe the speed of the game will be a big challenge that he will need to meet, but I believe he can. Lastly, if he/we think he gets beat up now, it will be worse in the NBA, even with no doubles. Those guys are all much stronger than most college kids. And Ken is no Troll. He’s an 83 Purdue Grad. He’s old too.
I realized several years ago that I was not older than the average poster here. And I am still not. But there are some here who graduated in the 80's and 90's calling themselves old. I don't think they know how old some of you guys are.

I think Zach makes it in the NBA being Zach. Defensively he has come a long way. No doubt that opposing teams will try to attack him with ball screens, but he moves his feet and plays to his strengths well enough that I think he is playable.

Offensively, I still see him doing most of his damage inside where he has a huge advantage still. Teams aren’t going to build their offenses around the post, but they can get him in pick and roll or other advantageous situations where he has an angle and he will be a load to deal with. I think that the spacing of the NBA game works to his advantage as he becomes harder to help on. Maybe he adds a dimension with his jump shot as well, but I don’t think that’s where he is most effective.

Where I think he earns his money is on the boards. I think that he can be one of the best rebounders per minute played in the league and get a ton of put backs.

Of course, all of this is me guessing. Edey is a hard player to project because he is so unique. That said, you just don’t see 7’4” guys who can do what he does and I think he will find success in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: pboiler18
Bernstein is a pompous Dookie, so he knows everything, just ask him. I’ve listened to the Score since it started, but as soon as Bernstein’s shows came on, off it went.
Long time score listener back to the 90s with the Heavy Full Crew (North, Jigs and....was it Boars?) Then Boars n Bernstein for a long time.

Long time score listener back to the 90s with the Heavy Full Crew (North, Jigs and....was it Boars?) Then Boars n Bernstein for a long time.
In January of the 1992, the “The Score” signed on at 7:15 a.m. and signed off at 5:45 p.m. Only daylight hours at that time.

THE Original LINEUP was:

Morning — Tom Shaer
Midday — Dan Jiggetts and Mike North
Afternoon — Dan McNeil with either Sun-Times writers Brian Hanley and Terry Boers
When the day light was longer, Mike Murphy finished the day’s programming.

McNeil came from Chet Coppeck’s show.

Great radio days back then. After only having the Sportswriter’s show Sunday’s on WGN, then we had the Sport Huddle on WMAQ and CPOS on AM 1000 I believe. But only WSCR has endured the test of time. Unfortunately now though, not all programming is local, but most of it is.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
In January of the 1992, the “The Score” signed on at 7:15 a.m. and signed off at 5:45 p.m. Only daylight hours at that time.

THE Original LINEUP was:

Morning — Tom Shaer
Midday — Dan Jiggetts and Mike North
Afternoon — Dan McNeil with either Sun-Times writers Brian Hanley and Terry Boers
When the day light was longer, Mike Murphy finished the day’s programming.

McNeil came from Chet Coppeck’s show.

Great radio days back then. After only having the Sportswriter’s show Sunday’s on WGN, then we had the Sport Huddle on WMAQ and CPOS on AM 1000 I believe. But only WSCR has endured the test of time. Unfortunately now though, not all programming is local, but most of it is.
Forgot about McNeil. He was great. Good thing cancel culture didn't exist back then.

Impressed there’s been no negativity for quite some time, Bone. You doin ok?! 😂
Negativity about what? Purdue basketball, work or life in general?
Work has been a bit*h, traveling my ass off and a ridiculous level of stress.
Life in general is OK, all things considered. My sleep pattern sucks, which is annoying.

As for Purdue BB, we've seen this movie before. Sure, I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but I felt this same way last year at this time....and the year before that. The plot is the same, I just hope the ending is different.

Negativity about what? Purdue basketball, work or life in general?
Work has been a bit*h, traveling my ass off and a ridiculous level of stress.
Life in general is OK, all things considered. My sleep pattern sucks, which is annoying.

As for Purdue BB, we've seen this movie before. Sure, I'm enjoying the hell out of it, but I felt this same way last year at this time....and the year before that. The plot is the same, I just hope the ending is different.
If you have seen this movie before, you can tell us how it ends. I have been watching Purdue basketball for 50 years. This year, playing style and results, seem much different than last year.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I think that the style of play and the way we are winning look much different this year. I think we are scoring something like 12 pts. per game more.
Defense is better, too. Much, much better than 2 years ago. With the freshmen becoming sophomores and the addition of Jones, they are taking it much more seriously.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
If you have seen this movie before, you can tell us how it ends. I have been watching Purdue basketball for 50 years. This year, playing style and results, seem much different than last year.

Is the style that much different though? Painter is a creature of habit. He has an offense going through the low post with a back to the basket big, surrounded by shooters who you hope don't all go cold on the same night. Pretty similar to the last 10+ years.
The biggest difference is Jones. He's the next gear player Painter hasn't had very often.

Is the style that much different though? Painter is a creature of habit. He has an offense going through the low post with a back to the basket big, surrounded by shooters who you hope don't all go cold on the same night. Pretty similar to the last 10+ years.
The biggest difference is Jones. He's the next gear player Painter hasn't had very often.
You really don't see it?

Oh, I see it, but like I said, I've seen it before. We saw it last year.
OK. You don't see the difference. But you did say you have been travelling. So if you can't watch, you can't see it.

Former players like Robbie Hummel and Raphael Davis have talked at length about how differently they are playing this year.

OK. You don't see the difference. But you did say you have been travelling. So if you can't watch, you can't see it.

Former players like Robbie Hummel and Raphael Davis have talked at length about how differently they are playing this year.

I'm not disputing any of that. But, as Gemini posted, on this exact date last year, we were 22-2 and ranked #1.
All the talking heads are saying Purdue is different than last year, and I don't disagree. But, until Painter proves he can get over the hump in the tourney....

Do you think Purdue makes the FF this year? If so, how confident are you?

Bernstein is a pompous Dookie, so he knows everything, just ask him. I’ve listened to the Score since it started, but as soon as Bernstein’s shows came on, off it went.
I too have soured on the Score and listen to Waddle and Silvy on 1000 when I'm able. I was more or less done with the Score several years ago when the Mike North Show changed its programming format to being NOT just sports. I actually called in one day and asked. "When is he going to talk about sports?" The producer, a woman, sighed and said something about the show being more general than just sports. I hung up and changed the dial. Haven't really been back since unless there's a game on it.

Reactions: DrEss
I miss the days when St.Patrick’s Day was during the first week of the NCAA tournament. We had a group that came from all over just to sit in Jake’s from the tip of the first game on Thursday until the last game of the day was over, for the first two days. Fun, fun times. Could not do that now. Haha
Been there for it as well, late 90s probably. I know I watched Duke lose in the first round there, maybe to Lehigh?

Usually went to Hi-Tops by Wrigley back in those days. Long been in the burbs now though, so it's the local B-Dubs.

Reactions: DrEss

We noticeably take off and move up court faster after a rebound this year, but I do have to say that Mr. Jones has something to do with some of that. The slower pace used to cause those hemorrhaging backcourt traps that caused many coronas to be consumed in three gulps. My wife calls it my 10 second consumption talent. I'm proud that I'm good at something.

I'm not disputing any of that. But, as Gemini posted, on this exact date last year, we were 22-2 and ranked #1.
All the talking heads are saying Purdue is different than last year, and I don't disagree. But, until Painter proves he can get over the hump in the tourney....

Do you think Purdue makes the FF this year? If so, how confident are you?
Robbie Hummel and Rapheal Davis are just talking heads? lol Maybe they should read your posts to learn something about Purdue basketball?

As you know, I never predict. I don't set goals for a bunch of college kids where I have no stake in their output. And I would not have a public meltdown when they don't meet my goals. As usual, I watch the team and enjoy the moment. Like the time last year, I am enjoying watching this team play. I believe that being 22-2 is actually a GOOD thing, as opposed to something negative. But to each his own.

Do you not like the team playing through Edey because you still think he is just another Matt ten Dam?

I listened, WSCR in Chicago, I mean they’re sort of right, I do think that Edey can make a team and a lot of money though, Cardinal made a ton, Edey can stick around the league. If he can’t he’ll make plenty overseas. Those guys didn’t say anything bad about him, they just questioned his role in today’s NBA, they’re not wrong. As for Edey coming back, think there’s a chance Gilles does, Edey, I highly doubt.
No chance on either coming back

Who said, or in any way, shape, or form even implied that it's a negative?
Bonefish said and implied it. It's his counterpoint to how well the team is performing. You have to understand the context. In his mind, last year was an abject failure, and we are in the same spot we were in this time last year. Same center, same style of play, same record,...

Our guards get to the rim better than any team that we have played. And it isn't only because Edey is down there. But that helps too. We aren't just Edey or a 3 pointer this year.

I used to pick up AM 1000 sometimes in my car at Purdue in the mid 90s. Norm Van Lier, Lance McCallister, Les Grobstein…Harry something or other…

Purdue fans butt hurt? Look at the books. Purdue got its whole ass kicked 63-7 -- a record margin of eight touchdowns, for those who think it didn’t count -- in a nationally televised New Year’s Day bowl game, failing to even remotely compete because its six best players each followed the leads of their self-serving coaches and quit the team, with none of them getting drafted one damned spot higher than they’d been projected midseason.

Since you enjoy butt kickings, why not ask Zach to do the same and “opt-out” of the NCAA to “prepare for the draft” four months early? Then bend over.
No one cares about the non CFP postseason exhibition games now. Sad but true.

I used to pick up AM 1000 sometimes in my car at Purdue in the mid 90s. Norm Van Lier, Lance McCallister, Les Grobstein…Harry something or other…
Harry Teinowitz. Good dude, going thru a lot of health problems currently but keeps a fantastic attitude. Always liked him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT