ADVERTISEMENT

CMP getting eviscerated on the SCORE

Apr 1, 2019
Bernstein and Holmes just gutted CMP's coaching in last night's game. Said there's no way you go into that game with the plan to simply throw it inside and not have a way for your team to get open 3s...especially when you're down double digits and you're trading 2s for 3s. Felt that at the 4-minute mark with Purdue walking the ball up the floor, CMP and everybody but Edey quit. It was BRUTAL.

Bernstein and Holmes just gutted CMP's coaching in last night's game. Said there's no way you go into that game with the plan to simply throw it inside and not have a way for your team to get open 3s...especially when you're down double digits and you're trading 2s for 3s. Felt that at the 4-minute mark with Purdue walking the ball up the floor, CMP and everybody but Edey quit. It was BRUTAL.
Guess they didn’t watch this interview after the game with Hurley then…

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
"...and not have a way for your team to get open 3s."

No team we played all season had a long, athletic, full NBA blanket perimeter coverage that they had.
The mercenaries certainly made it tough. Would have liked to have seen going under screens on certain players rather than trailing them which made the drop tougher. Ever since the Tenn game Purdue has not drawn the fouls it did for 30+ games and losing that part of the game also made a difference

That's the type of brutal analysis that keeps me from listening to the The Score. I get that The Score is the OG of Chicago sports talk, but I prefer most of the guys on ESPN Radio.

So, is everyone saying that once UConn came up with its game plan to take away the 3, Purdue had no chance to win? Or, that Purdue needed UConn to be bad in order to win. Nothing that Purdue could do to win? Is that what everyone's saying? Or, is that just what I'm hearing?

There was no scheme that would have worked.

If one must blame Painter then blame the lack of taller athletic guards I guess but Loyer, Smith and Jones weren't getting open looks against guards who were taller, faster and stronger and dedicated to stopping us from three.

It's not like Colvin and Heide were getting open much either.

UCONN was simply much better everywhere but Edey.

So, is everyone saying that once UConn came up with its game plan to take away the 3, Purdue had no chance to win? Or, that Purdue needed UConn to be bad in order to win. Nothing that Purdue could do to win? Is that what everyone's saying? Or, is that just what I'm hearing?
I mean, yeah.
Our chance to win required a B game from UCONN at both ends. I said that before the game started but folks don't like to hear that.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
"...and not have a way for your team to get open 3s."

No team we played all season had a long, athletic, full NBA blanket perimeter coverage that they had.
How did Bama get there 3s off then? Because I'm sure Hurley fully expected Bama to try to win shooting 3s.

Reactions: drewjin
I mean we have faced taller more athletic guards this year and still gotten 3s off. Yes they executed their D at a very high level but we had no sets we could run to get a good look? Doesn't Painter have like 10,000 plays?

Reactions: Boiler8285
I mean we have faced taller more athletic guards this year and still gotten 3s off. Yes they executed their D at a very high level but we had no sets we could run to get a good look? Doesn't Painter have like 10,000 plays?
Who is that? We've faced a team with three guards NBA or near NBA level of those attributes?

The bigger problem is we couldn't stop Uconn. The essentially had 4 or 5 guys on the coirt at all times that were a threat. Meanwhile we had Edey and a nice dose of Smith, but it was zilch after that.

First, UConn had no game plan different than anyone else. They just had the people able to do it effectively. Relative to the 3 ball, Braden was the only person that can come off the dribble and shoot it. Fletch can sidestep with a dribble, but nobody can move 5-8 feet or more and effectively shoot it and so getting a 3 ball shot off has a bit to do with some shortcomings in the players. This normally is not a problem, but since the Tenn game Purdue did not draw the same kind of fouls and since Purdue was not going to the line and removing players off the court and not worried that Zach is going to score effectively against the players you have that are not in foul trouble...why remove your eyes off the person you are defending? Had Zach started removing players, they would have been chancing more players on Zach which would have led to open 3s.

If you had the Boo type of player that could handle the ball and hit 3s on his own it would be harder to eliminate the 3 ball. NW like Uconn had a lot of screens around the arc, but unlike NW it resulted in drives inside the lane where the 3 NW players when healthy hit shots behind the arc. I'm unsure that Purdue not taking the 3 ball or not making any essentially was any worse of a problem than Uconn getting all the 50-50 balls, getting some good boards with friendly bounces and getting inside the lane to score as much as they did. Being better on the D inside the lane would have more than made up the 3 pt shot differential as many of those were off scrambles and such with maybe one or two off of a nice pass

Last edited:
First, UConn had no game plan different than anyone else. They just had the people able to do it effectively. Relative to the 3 ball, only Braden was the only person that can come off the dribble and shoot it. Fletch can sidestep with a dribble, but nobody can move 5-8 feet or more and effectively shoot it and so getting a 3 ball shot off has a bit to do with some shortcomings in the players. This normally is not a problem, but since the Tenn game Purdue did not draw the same kind of fouls and since Purdue was not going to the line and removing players off the court and not worried that Zach is going to score effectively against the players you have that are not in foul trouble...why remove your eyes off the person you are defending? Had Zach started removing players, they would have been chancing more players on Zach which would have led to open 3s.

If you had the Boo type of player that could handle the ball and hit 3s on his own it would be harder to eliminate the 3 ball. NW like Uconn had a lot of screens around the arc, but unlike NW it resulted in drives inside the lane where the 3 NW players when healthy hit shots behind the arc. I'm unsure that Purdue not taking the 3 ball or not making any essentially was any worse of a problem than Uconn getting all the 50-50 balls, getting some good boards with friendly bounces and getting inside the lane to score as much as they did. Being better on the D inside the lane would have more than made up the 3 pt shot differential as many of those were off scrambles and such with maybe one or two off of a nice pass
relative to this and what I wrote in the "et the guesses fly thread" where I talked about D concerns and coverage of people and screens I was immediately happy to see Lance on Spencer, but then Spencer scored I think maybe the first 7 out of 9 pts? Then we saw others going over the top on screens and the lobs in drop. I certainly don't have the insight that the coaches do, but hated seeing them get into the lane so much...and of course going under might not have helped and gave up 3 pointers? It was a tough one for thee kids...

No other team had a 7 ft+ center who could guard Edey one on one and not need any help.

Talking heads need to bloviate. And nothing gets clicks like hyperbolic hot takes. But, it's not just a question of pounding it inside vs. getting free for 3s.

Purdue probably left 10 points out there just on missed jumpers from around the elbow, several if which were open shots. Braden, in particular, did a good job of creating open mid-range jumpers. Just couldn't connect on many last night.

So nobody got 3s off on uconn this year?
Sure, teams that actually have athletic guards, we don't.

Smith and Loyer aren't that. Jones is decent but not elite level.

Our guards have done great things but yes part of it has been because of Edey and the extreme focus he brings that leads to open shots. Without that added focus, they aren't capable of getting open consistently. Braden a little bit but almost all of his penetration came off Edey pick and roll.

I mean giving up 75 isn't horrible.
Scoring 60 was the bigger problem IMO.
def should have scored more, Smith missed 2 layups and the first play of the game he had an opening but chose to throw it out 20 ft from basket, TKR plays small sometimes , always bent over by the time he puts it up could be blocked or he hesistates, Loyer missed a couple of doable runners ( wish he sometimes would just pull up for a 6 to 8 fter instead)

Talking heads need to bloviate. And nothing gets clicks like hyperbolic hot takes. But, it's not just a question of pounding it inside vs. getting free for 3s.

Purdue probably left 10 points out there just on missed jumpers from around the elbow, several if which were open shots. Braden, in particular, did a good job of creating open mid-range jumpers. Just couldn't connect on many last night.
he had another subpar game, not as bad as vs NCST

2 of UConn's 3 guards could be lottery picks in NBA this coming year, so yes if you can get athletic NBA quality guards that is a good thing, Mr. Obvious.
Yeah, and coaching all of a sudden gets a lot easier when you have those types of guards. Jalen-hood shafeenow(sp) proved that when he played for sleepy Mike.

Why do you listen to dumbasses who don't know basketball?

That's the type of brutal analysis that keeps me from listening to the The Score. I get that The Score is the OG of Chicago sports talk, but I prefer most of the guys on ESPN Radio.
They made a lot of sense though. I love Painter, last nights strategy was odd. Also, down 14 with 5 minutes left they were talking about why was Purdue slowing the ball down forcing it in? I realize UCONN has great defense, there’s no way that Gilles or Jones couldn’t get a shot off? Shooting 5 three’s was ridiculous.

The mercenaries certainly made it tough. Would have liked to have seen going under screens on certain players rather than trailing them which made the drop tougher. Ever since the Tenn game Purdue has not drawn the fouls it did for 30+ games and losing that part of the game also made a difference
Who are these mercenaries? I'm assuming you mean Spencer because he transferred there? Does that make Jones a mercenary too?

Spencer is the only guy that transferred to Uconn this past season. So they had 1 and we had 1. Correct? Or am I missing someone else that transferred there this past year?

Who says they don’t know basketball? Bernstein announced at the pro level, Holmes announced on the college level, they know the game. I love Painter, yesterday’s offensive set was goofy, I’m sorry, guys like Gilles and Jones needed to shoot the damn ball.
Gillis and Jones didn't shoot the ball because they couldn't get open.

Who are these mercenaries? I'm assuming you mean Spencer because he transferred there? Does that make Jones a mercenary too?

Spencer is the only guy that transferred to Uconn this past season. So they had 1 and we had 1. Correct? Or am I missing someone else that transferred there this past year?
Diarra and Newton transferred in prior to this past year. I agree though. Can't knock the transfers when we desperately needed someone linke Jones and it worked out very well for us.

Diarra and Newton transferred in prior to this past year. I agree though. Can't knock the transfers when we desperately needed someone linke Jones and it worked out very well for us.
As I said, Spencer is the only transfer from this past year. He's the one I'm assuming TJ is referring to. But he said mercenaries, so not sure who he meant. Anyone transferring more than a year ago wouldn't be considered that I wouldn't think.

Just don't like the negative term. We needed Jones just as much, if not more, than they needed Spencer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT