ADVERTISEMENT

CJB Contract

No, that was what generated my response, which you then chose to engage. If you didn't agree with it, don't disagree with my comment/criticism of it.

My position is, was, and will continue to be, Brohm is being paid because of BROHM, and nothing else.
I never defended any point other than my own: you have to understand how bad the program was when CJB took it over from The Haze to understand how great a job he has done. Otherwise, a .500 record wouldn’t seem to justify that contract.

I never defended any point other than my own: you have to understand how bad the program was when CJB took it over from The Haze to understand how great a job he has done. Otherwise, a .500 record wouldn’t seem to justify that contract.

I don't think we're in disagreement. Brohm's compensation is only reflective of his work. Period.

If you want to look at it from a fan's perspective, comparing his comp vs W/L record, then it becomes relevant. That's what I meant by "fan-speak".

He's being paid for his work, which has ZERO to do with DH.

a question/comment.

if Brohm produced the same record, but had a less exciting team, and attendance wasn't that much improved, and revenues really hadn't increased that much, do you believe he would be receiving increases in his contract ? I don't.

I believe regardless of his record, his contract increases were a direct reflection of the revenue increases his team generated. I don't believe they are a reflection of how much work he has put into the job, or how great he is compared to Hazell.

if he had a terrible work ethic, and played golf every other day, but his team won 8-10 games and the stadium was sold out, I believe he would have received a raise.

I wil l agree with Purdue 85. the raise had nothing to do with Hazell and had everything to do with increased revenue and increased exposure. Purdue made national headlines, and it wasn't because of a comparison to being better than Hazell. brohm put Purdue on the map and made them a media darling. Win or lose, they were an exciting team to watch. Purdue became known for the gimmick play and wide open offense. If Purdue was a conservative, ground and pound, I doubt the media or fans would have paid much attention. But fans and the media love the home run pass / long ball. Look at the packers verses the bears. Who gets the most press? who had the better record?

Purdue became a media darling. And some of that was due in part to a passionate Purdue fan. and the way Purdue and Brohm handled it brought positive national attention to the program. Purdue became a family - a national loving family. and you can't deny that.

As Purdue 85 has been trying to say, Brohm received a contract increase, because he earned it for al l the things he has done, not just for improving Purdue's record. if Miles came to Purdue, I have no doubt he would have improved their record. but with his boring brand of football, I doubt he would have improved attendance or revenue very much. And he definitely would not have created the national excitement / media attention that Purdue now enjoys. and I highly doubt if miles had directed Purdue to a 13-13 record with two bowl trips that he would have received a raise.

Brohm's raise is not about wins or a comparison with Hazell. it's about increased revenue and putting Purdue back on the national map. Hope won 6 games and took Purdue to a couple of bowl games and was fired. Why? because he didn't generate interest or revenue or create any excitement, or attention to the program. .

Brohm's raise is not about wins or a comparison with Hazell. it's about increased revenue and putting Purdue back on the national map. Hope won 6 games and took Purdue to a couple of bowl games and was fired. Why? because he didn't generate interest or revenue or create any excitement, or attention to the program. .
Correct. Relevance. Revenue. Excitement.

Reactions: ejs1111
a question/comment.

if Brohm produced the same record, but had a less exciting team, and attendance wasn't that much improved, and revenues really hadn't increased that much, do you believe he would be receiving increases in his contract ? I don't.

I believe regardless of his record, his contract increases were a direct reflection of the revenue increases his team generated. I don't believe they are a reflection of how much work he has put into the job, or how great he is compared to Hazell.

if he had a terrible work ethic, and played golf every other day, but his team won 8-10 games and the stadium was sold out, I believe he would have received a raise.

I wil l agree with Purdue 85. the raise had nothing to do with Hazell and had everything to do with increased revenue and increased exposure. Purdue made national headlines, and it wasn't because of a comparison to being better than Hazell. brohm put Purdue on the map and made them a media darling. Win or lose, they were an exciting team to watch. Purdue became known for the gimmick play and wide open offense. If Purdue was a conservative, ground and pound, I doubt the media or fans would have paid much attention. But fans and the media love the home run pass / long ball. Look at the packers verses the bears. Who gets the most press? who had the better record?

Purdue became a media darling. And some of that was due in part to a passionate Purdue fan. and the way Purdue and Brohm handled it brought positive national attention to the program. Purdue became a family - a national loving family. and you can't deny that.

As Purdue 85 has been trying to say, Brohm received a contract increase, because he earned it for al l the things he has done, not just for improving Purdue's record. if Miles came to Purdue, I have no doubt he would have improved their record. but with his boring brand of football, I doubt he would have improved attendance or revenue very much. And he definitely would not have created the national excitement / media attention that Purdue now enjoys. and I highly doubt if miles had directed Purdue to a 13-13 record with two bowl trips that he would have received a raise.

Brohm can’t have that increased relevance, attention, fan support, or revenue without the complete failure of the Haze. What Brohm did to resurrect the program was outstanding and worth every penny. I am not arguing the value. But the complete turnaround is what got him paid and that doesn’t happen without the Haze’s complete failures. 13-13 doesn’t get you two raises. Nobody has shown a single example of that. It is because of where the program was and what he had that makes the 13-13 impressive. And the program was in that state due to the Haze. Those are facts and irrefutable. Zero arguments can be made that Brohm’s performance was worth the contract with out acknowledging what he had to overcome and what letting him go would have cost (the top 25 class and any momentum). You also can’t deny that going 13-13 over he next two years will not get it done.

Brohm can’t have that increased relevance, attention, fan support, or revenue without the complete failure of the Haze. What Brohm did to resurrect the program was outstanding and worth every penny. I am not arguing the value. But the complete turnaround is what got him paid and that doesn’t happen without the Haze’s complete failures. 13-13 doesn’t get you two raises. Nobody has shown a single example of that. It is because of where the program was and what he had that makes the 13-13 impressive. And the program was in that state due to the Haze. Those are facts and irrefutable. Zero arguments can be made that Brohm’s performance was worth the contract with out acknowledging what he had to overcome and what letting him go would have cost (the top 25 class and any momentum). You also can’t deny that going 13-13 over he next two years will not get it done.

That has to be one of the most bizarre arguments I've seen, devoid of any logic.

If a coach comes in and turns around a failing program, his predecessor's "failures helped (him) get paid."

If a coach follows a wildly successful coach, it only goes to follow that his predecessor's "successes helped (him) get paid."

What an abundantly silly position.

Reactions: destewart
That has to be one of the most bizarre arguments I've seen, devoid of any logic.

If a coach comes in and turns around a failing program, his predecessor's "failures helped (him) get paid."

If a coach follows a wildly successful coach, it only goes to follow that his predecessor's "successes helped (him) get paid."

What an abundantly silly position.

You can’t ignore what happened before him when you look at a 13-13 record getting two pay increases, even as much as you want to do that. You can’t acknowledge where Purdue is right now without acknowledging where it was before Brohm. And how losing that top 25 class would sink them right back to where they were.

You can’t give another example of a 13-13 getting two raises or deny that 13-13 in the next two years is unacceptable and would not get two more pay raises. The argument really is that simple. The 13-13 only got that kind of pay increase because of where the program was, where he took them, and where it is going. Hope accomplished the same thing after Tiller, and he didn’t get two raises.

I am not saying Brohm didn’t deserve the pay, the exact opposite actually. But, if not for the Haze, that 13-13 isn’t getting the raises he did. And 13-13 will not cut it going forward. Period. You can’t provide any examples to counter my first two points and I provided one within the same program that supported my point. At this point I am not even sure you know and/or understand what you are even arguing.

My related thoughts are that if Brohm followed Hope, and accomplished what he did by creating excitement and increasing revenue, attendance, and improving recruiting, and Louisville came calling, Brohm would get a raise, much like Painter used Missouri as leverage to get a raise.

We don't talk about Painter much. but he used Missouri to get a raise. he didn't get a raise because he took the program to another level higher than the previous coach. Basically, he had an offer from Missouri. and Purdue decided to pay him to keep him.

Isn't that exactly what brohm just did? he received an offer from Louisville. that offer came without any relation to Hazell or Brohm's accomplishments. Louisville has wanted Brohm for a long time. So Louisville made Brohm an offer. and like Painter, Purdue countered the offer and paid brohm to stay.

it happens all the time.

My related thoughts are that if Brohm followed Hope, and accomplished what he did by creating excitement and increasing revenue, attendance, and improving recruiting, and Louisville came calling, Brohm would get a raise, much like Painter used Missouri as leverage to get a raise.

We don't talk about Painter much. but he used Missouri to get a raise. he didn't get a raise because he took the program to another level higher than the previous coach. Basically, he had an offer from Missouri. and Purdue decided to pay him to keep him.

Isn't that exactly what brohm just did? he received an offer from Louisville. that offer came without any relation to Hazell or Brohm's accomplishments. Louisville has wanted Brohm for a long time. So Louisville made Brohm an offer. and like Painter, Purdue countered the offer and paid brohm to stay.

it happens all the time.

Following hope’s 6-7 with a 7-6 wouldn’t have raised all of things you mentioned and therefor wouldn’t have earned the raise. I don’t think he would have followed Hope with a 6-6, I think he would have done much better. Brohm has an exciting offense that has gotten national attention. He has gotten the attention of recruits as well. Again, not arguing what Brohm has done. But he brought excitement when Purdue was at a historic low. That is why he is making 5 mil after going 13-13. You have to consider where Purdue was in order to explain a double raise on 13-13.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
You can’t ignore what happened before him when you look at a 13-13 record getting two pay increases, even as much as you want to do that. You can’t acknowledge where Purdue is right now without acknowledging where it was before Brohm. And how losing that top 25 class would sink them right back to where they were.

You can’t give another example of a 13-13 getting two raises or deny that 13-13 in the next two years is unacceptable and would not get two more pay raises. The argument really is that simple. The 13-13 only got that kind of pay increase because of where the program was, where he took them, and where it is going. Hope accomplished the same thing after Tiller, and he didn’t get two raises.

I am not saying Brohm didn’t deserve the pay, the exact opposite actually. But, if not for the Haze, that 13-13 isn’t getting the raises he did. And 13-13 will not cut it going forward. Period. You can’t provide any examples to counter my first two points and I provided one within the same program that supported my point. At this point I am not even sure you know and/or understand what you are even arguing.

Of course you can ignore it.

If he took over a consistent national contender, his work would stand on its own.

You continue to talk as a fan, justifying the increases vs the record. He's going to have to earn his pay, regardless the success level of the prior coaches. To continue to argue otherwise is foolish.

There is a WHOLE lot of context missing when you just look at record. I think the people that are saying the record doesn't justify the contract are either not really paying attention to the football program, can't see the forest for the trees, or they are haters/jealous of the football program and it's resurgence (resurgence in the Purdue football sense of resurgence).

I also think there are a lot of people that are only seeing the very near future of the contract and not the value of it a few years down the road? I don't think people realize that a 5 million dollar per year contact four or five years down the road isn't going to be that big of a contract. I could be wrong but there are going to be a lot of coaches that see what Jeff Brohm signed to and are going to be wanting the same. I think this contract is going to resonate somewhat through the college football ranks.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if Jeff Brohm achieves the level of success that a few people think he needs to achieve with this contract in order to justify it, it will need to renegotiated before it is complete.

Of course you can ignore it.

If he took over a consistent national contender, his work would stand on its own.

You continue to talk as a fan, justifying the increases vs the record. He's going to have to earn his pay, regardless the success level of the prior coaches. To continue to argue otherwise is foolish.

At least we both agree your argument is foolish.

There is a WHOLE lot of context missing when you just look at record. I think the people that are saying the record doesn't justify the contract are either not really paying attention to the football program, can't see the forest for the trees, or they are haters/jealous of the football program and it's resurgence (resurgence in the Purdue football sense of resurgence).

I also think there are a lot of people that are only seeing the very near future of the contract and not the value of it a few years down the road? I don't think people realize that a 5 million dollar per year contact four or five years down the road isn't going to be that big of a contract. I could be wrong but there are going to be a lot of coaches that see what Jeff Brohm signed to and are going to be wanting the same. I think this contract is going to resonate somewhat through the college football ranks.

I've said it before and I will say it again, if Jeff Brohm achieves the level of success that a few people think he needs to achieve with this contract in order to justify it, it will need to renegotiated before it is complete.

You are making the exact argument New Pal and I are making. The Context (meaning where the Haze had the program and where Brohm brought it) is what is needed. That is all we are saying. It’s why people bring up the prior coach when justifying what Brohm got paid. Because you have to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT