ADVERTISEMENT

CJB Contract

That would be interesting to watch. It's a very similar situation to what Brohm walked into. Although not known as a great football traditional powerhouse, he should be able to recruit the same players k state, Iowa st, and Iowa recruit. And they all have produced winning programs. My expectations would be he should be able to have a respectable program. And I'm not one who buys into these 4-6 year rebuilding programs. To me, a quality coach should be able to win 5-7 games their first year.

And rather than comparing Brohm to Hazel, I believe comparing him to Miles at Kansas would be fair.

And I'm not one who buys into these 4-6 year rebuilding programs. To me, a quality coach should be able to win 5-7 games their first year.
It's 4-6 years. Some coaches get lucky and walk into good rosters, but most times the prior coach was fired for a reason. Alvarez took 4 years, Ferentz took 4 years.

I'm just saying it will be interesting to compare Brohm and Miles. Each walked into similar situations.

And I've never bought into the rebuilding requirements. To me that's just an excuse for losing and a coach trying to save his job by keeping expectations low. Just an excuse.

Reactions: NVboiler
I'm just saying it will be interesting to compare Brohm and Miles. Each walked into similar situations.

And I've never bought into the rebuilding requirements. To me that's just an excuse for losing and a coach trying to save his job by keeping expectations low. Just an excuse.

Jesus may have turned water into wine but but all of the other mortals can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Yeah, but that was my point... it wasn't the first time you voiced that opinion. Or the 2nd. Or....
TD has voiced displeasure with the hire since 2016. Given who he wanted and the fact that Les couldnt land anything but the worst job in the P5, i dont know why you give credence to the dumb shit he spews.

Reactions: BoilerAlumni12
Why would hiring a guy as a head coach at a power 5 conference that was going to be at retirement age in two or three years ever be a good idea?

I can't tell you which team is going to be better this year, Kansas or Purdue, but I can tell you who is more likely to be leading a successful team ten years from now. The thought of hiring Les Miles sends shivers down my spine (not good shivers).

Why would hiring a guy as a head coach at a power 5 conference that was going to be at retirement age in two or three years ever be a good idea?

I can't tell you which team is going to be better this year, Kansas or Purdue, but I can tell you who is more likely to be leading a successful team ten years from now. The thought of hiring Les Miles sends shivers down my spine (not good shivers).
And ground and pound offense has always been so successful at Purdue, with the truckloads of five star RBs and OLs we haul in every year, oh wait... that’s OSU and Michigan who do that... never mind.

Ground and pound could be successful at Purdue. It's just a matter of coach's philosophy and recruiting. We don't recruit the massive olinemen required for a ground and pound team. UW does.

Ground and pound could be successful at Purdue. It's just a matter of coach's philosophy and recruiting. We don't recruit the massive olinemen required for a ground and pound team. UW does.
We have a legacy of quarterbacks, regardless of coach. Why the hell would we turn away from that, especially given the fact that the game is pass oriented now?

I don't agree with this at all. Hazell, when he came to Purdue, said he was going to run a traditional style offense and that seemed like a bad idea to me at the time. Purdue didn't, and likely still doesn't, have the talent to line up and beat the opposing team by traditional means. How can Purdue beat anyone consistently playing a style that opposing teams see with great regularity when they are outmatched in eight out of the eleven positions? Of course they can recruit better but they will never be able to recruit at the level needed to beat top tier teams playing such a game.

I have always believed that Purdue needs to be "gimmicky". They need to run something that other teams don't see a lot of and aren't going to spend a lot of time figuring out how to beat because they see it once per year at most. That's why Tiller was successful for most of his time.

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
This is Miles first year at Kansas. I believe a fair comparison would be to Brohm's first year at Purdue. I have to believe the cupboard left Miles was about equal to what Brohm received. And his Schedule is about the same. Can Miles win 6 games this year? I don't know. But I believe it would make a good comparison.

I believe you do Brohm a vast disservice by saying he couldn't develop a ground and pound offense at Purdue. I believe if he wanted one, he could create a very successful one. but that's just not his style. I believe he wanted an explosive offense that was passing oriented. Tiller had his own offense which was closer to the West coast style using a lot of short passes and he was very successful. Brohm likes to include the long pass in his offense.

We have observed Brohm through 3 recruiting seasons. the type of player he has recruited is the type of player that fits his system and style of play. That first year, he dumped almost all of the commitments Hazell had secured and replaced them with his own recruits and transfers.

Hazell wanted to install a ground and pound team. but the players he recruited were not talented enough to do so. Then again, the players Hazell recruited were not talented enough to do anything. Hazell was lucky if he could get a 200 pound lineman to come to Purdue.

and this is where I believe Purdue fans are wrong about Brohm. I truly believe if Brohm wanted to install a boring run oriented offense with a massive o line, he could do it, and he would succeed with it. In the past two years, I've seen several elite "HUGE" lineman have interest in Purdue, but they didn't fit the style brohm was looking for, so they signed with Iowa, UW and OSU, I truly believe if Brohm wanted to implement that type of style, he could have recruited the offensive linemen to implement it. I don't believe the old myths about Purdue just not being able to attract elite offensive linemen.

As for gimmicks, I believe Brohm used them to succeed because he had to because of a lack of talent. We saw last year with a more talented team, Brohm's gimmick plays decreased. I suspect as we go forward, we will see less gimmick plays being used.

I have to believe part of Brohm's reasoning for his style of football was that he wanted to generate fan interest and create excitement as well as win games. Fans get excited about high scoring games even if we lose. I have to believe if our record was the same, but our passing yardage was under 2,000 yards, our attendance would be a lot lower, with more fans grumbling about how boring the team is.

Many people complain about painter's style of offense even though he wins games. Duke was must see basketball because of Zion. Virginia was boring. and to create excitement, and boost attendance, Brohm incorporated a must see style of football rather than a boring ground and pound.

Fans are different. Some want excitement, while others prefer a victory even if it's 7-6. it's the same in baseball and basketball. many people think low scoring games are boring. I believe Brohm was faced with two challenges. Not only to bring winning back to Purdue, but also to bring the fans and excitement back. If he went 7-5 with a run oriented team, he may have accomplished one goal, but the fans would not have come back.

I watch recruiting closer than some. Brohm definitely recruits players who fit his system. he has passed on some larger talented athletes who did not fit his system. I don't expect him to change his style or his system. However, if he did, I have full confidence in him that he would be successful.

I look at Brohm's offense much like Painter's defense. I believe if Painter wanted to install a zone defense, he'd be successful at it. And if Painter installed a zone defense, his recruiting would probably change as he would no longer recruit players who were great two way players. the same with Brohm. he has a style. It's HIS style. I believe he could be successful if he changed his style. but I accept he is bringing in players that fit his style.

a related comment about Les Miles. I believe if he came to Purdue, he would have been able to produce victories. but I highly doubt he would have been able to create excitement or fan interest. because his style is not what Purdue fans crave. for the most part, SEC football is rather boring. more than anything else, LSU fans craved beating Alabama, and they didn't really care how they did it. they went to see the games for the beer, girls and the win. huge drums and large bands are not the draw in the deep South.

I'd put the KU 2019 over/under at 3.5 wins

that seems fair. looking back that was also the average prediction of Brohm on this site prior to his first year. Even the most optimistic Purdue fan wasn't expecting much from Brohm before his first season. Any Purdue fan that predicted 6 wins from Brohm before his first year was called crazy and other things.

on a related subject, if Brohm left Purdue this year to accept the Kansas job, given the exact same timing and circumstances as Miles, how many wins do you believe Brohm could generate at Kansas this year? 3? 4? 8?

I believe you do Brohm a vast disservice by saying he couldn't develop a ground and pound offense at Purdue. I believe if he wanted one, he could create a very successful one. but that's just not his style. I believe he wanted an explosive offense that was passing oriented. Tiller had his own offense which was closer to the West coast style using a lot of short passes and he was very successful. Brohm likes to include the long pass in his offense.

We have observed Brohm through 3 recruiting seasons. the type of player he has recruited is the type of player that fits his system and style of play. That first year, he dumped almost all of the commitments Hazell had secured and replaced them with his own recruits and transfers.

Hazell wanted to install a ground and pound team. but the players he recruited were not talented enough to do so. Then again, the players Hazell recruited were not talented enough to do anything. Hazell was lucky if he could get a 200 pound lineman to come to Purdue.

and this is where I believe Purdue fans are wrong about Brohm. I truly believe if Brohm wanted to install a boring run oriented offense with a massive o line, he could do it, and he would succeed with it. In the past two years, I've seen several elite "HUGE" lineman have interest in Purdue, but they didn't fit the style brohm was looking for, so they signed with Iowa, UW and OSU, I truly believe if Brohm wanted to implement that type of style, he could have recruited the offensive linemen to implement it. I don't believe the old myths about Purdue just not being able to attract elite offensive linemen.

As for gimmicks, I believe Brohm used them to succeed because he had to because of a lack of talent. We saw last year with a more talented team, Brohm's gimmick plays decreased. I suspect as we go forward, we will see less gimmick plays being used.

I have to believe part of Brohm's reasoning for his style of football was that he wanted to generate fan interest and create excitement as well as win games. Fans get excited about high scoring games even if we lose. I have to believe if our record was the same, but our passing yardage was under 2,000 yards, our attendance would be a lot lower, with more fans grumbling about how boring the team is.

Many people complain about painter's style of offense even though he wins games. Duke was must see basketball because of Zion. Virginia was boring. and to create excitement, and boost attendance, Brohm incorporated a must see style of football rather than a boring ground and pound.

Fans are different. Some want excitement, while others prefer a victory even if it's 7-6. it's the same in baseball and basketball. many people think low scoring games are boring. I believe Brohm was faced with two challenges. Not only to bring winning back to Purdue, but also to bring the fans and excitement back. If he went 7-5 with a run oriented team, he may have accomplished one goal, but the fans would not have come back.

I watch recruiting closer than some. Brohm definitely recruits players who fit his system. he has passed on some larger talented athletes who did not fit his system. I don't expect him to change his style or his system. However, if he did, I have full confidence in him that he would be successful.

I look at Brohm's offense much like Painter's defense. I believe if Painter wanted to install a zone defense, he'd be successful at it. And if Painter installed a zone defense, his recruiting would probably change as he would no longer recruit players who were great two way players. the same with Brohm. he has a style. It's HIS style. I believe he could be successful if he changed his style. but I accept he is bringing in players that fit his style.

a related comment about Les Miles. I believe if he came to Purdue, he would have been able to produce victories. but I highly doubt he would have been able to create excitement or fan interest. because his style is not what Purdue fans crave. for the most part, SEC football is rather boring. more than anything else, LSU fans craved beating Alabama, and they didn't really care how they did it. they went to see the games for the beer, girls and the win. huge drums and large bands are not the draw in the deep South.

TRYING to read that is like...

giphy.gif

TRYING to read that is like...

giphy.gif

I'm sorry. I don't recommend you reading anything by Twain, Rowling, Jordan, Auel, Brooks, McCullough, or Tolkien. My target audience is not the Captain Underpants reading comprehension level. :cool:

I find it odd if my name was Brian, there would be no complaints about the length of my post. o_O

that seems fair. looking back that was also the average prediction of Brohm on this site prior to his first year. Even the most optimistic Purdue fan wasn't expecting much from Brohm before his first season. Any Purdue fan that predicted 6 wins from Brohm before his first year was called crazy and other things.

on a related subject, if Brohm left Purdue this year to accept the Kansas job, given the exact same timing and circumstances as Miles, how many wins do you believe Brohm could generate at Kansas this year? 3? 4? 8?
Depends on a lot of factors. Would he have Holt as DC? Are there some key pieces on KU’s defense that were misused by the previous staff? Would he be able to bring in a couple of key grad transfers to plug the holes in their roster? But regardless I do think Brohm would have more of an immediate impact just because of his innovation and he has proven he can do more with less talent.

I'm sorry. I don't recommend you reading anything by Twain, Rowling, Jordan, Auel, Brooks, McCullough, or Tolkien. My target audience is not the Captain Underpants reading comprehension level. :cool:

I find it odd if my name was Brian, there would be no complaints about the length of my post. o_O

Brother, I've read McCullough. I've also read works like Homer (Odyssey), and (not to compare the two) was also a LONG time fan of Tom Clancy (RIP), who's books frequently topped 800 pages.

What's more, let me tell you, you're no Twain, Rowling, or any of the others. :p

I would also suggest, you've yet to "find" your audience.

;)

Brother, I've read McCullough. I've also read works like Homer (Odyssey), and (not to compare the two) was also a LONG time fan of Tom Clancy (RIP), who's books frequently topped 800 pages.

What's more, let me tell you, you're no Twain, Rowling, or any of the others. :p

I would also suggest, you've yet to "find" your audience.

;)

I'll take my likes/posts made ratio over those who disagree with me. :D

Purdue should end up somewhere between 7 and 9 wins this year in the regular season. That is with a pretty difficult schedule as well. Certainly far more difficult than what the Haze was cooking up.

For those expecting an immediate bump in success with pay, you have to be patient. He is still working with the majority of his players in classes ranked 50-70. The ‘19 class was huge and extremely talented, but they will be true freshmen. I expect 4 or 5 to be major contributors, maybe more if some folks don’t pan out or injuries happen, but their will be learning curves and bumps along the way.

Brohm earned this class by the hype he brought back to the program (games are actually watchable and worth attending!), the over achieving (the talent on both rosters was maybe 2-4 wins), and by landing a top 25 class. If Brohm leaves, that class was gone and all momentum lost. It was a no brainer, we had to match Louisville and keep him here. It didn’t speed anything else up. Purdue just did what needed done. The next step will be in 2-3 years when they can be consistently expected as a favorite to win the West. To do that, Brohm needs to keep the recruiting momentum. So this June-July period will be extremely important, probably even more important than this year’s record.

Under normal circumstances, a coach going 6-6 in the regular season two years in a row wouldn’t get a pay raise each year. But, for what he has done resurrecting the program, it has been worth it. Purdue is a program dependent upon it’s coach. They have been at the bottom and the top. Purdue has the coach to get them to the top. Personally, I am glad to see it. Had Brohm walked away, they would have slipped right back to the bottom, all momentum lost. Now, if Brohm leaves, but Purdue remains willing to commit money to the program, they can hire another top end coach to keep momentum going. I sure hope so because college football is so much more enjoyable when Purdue is competing and playing exciting football.

Reactions: 72Boiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT