ADVERTISEMENT

CJB Contract

I don't get this forum's obsession with discussing a prior coach or AD.

Good grief, folks. We have programs rolling along, and it's like you guys want to talk about the former girlfriend.
To illustrate how far CJB (with MBob’s help) has brought the program in 2 years, it’s necessary to note where the program was when he took over. Which was at the bottom. The very bottom. Maybe below the bottom. Otherwise, a .500 record doesn’t seem to be all that big a deal.

Should we use different names so they aren’t offended? Like, Harrell Dazel and Borgan Murke?

To illustrate how far CJB (with MBob’s help) has brought the program in 2 years, it’s necessary to note where the program was when he took over. Which was at the bottom. The very bottom. Maybe below the bottom. Otherwise, a .500 record doesn’t seem to be all that big a deal.

Should we use different names so they aren’t offended? Like, Harrell Dazel and Borgan Murke?

I don't care about offending anyone. Really. When people start talking about the bad days with "Haze", it's worthy of and eye roll and head shake.

Yes ... I remember my old girlfriends, but never have a need to talk about them.

I don't care about offending anyone. Really. When people start talking about the bad days with "Haze", it's worthy of and eye roll and head shake.

Yes ... I remember my old girlfriends, but never have a need to talk about them.

I can understand your point. but sometimes reflection of the past is not a bad thing.

For me, rather than comparing against Purdue's past, I prefer to compare to the competition. how has Brohm compared to Fleck, and Lovie and Allen the past two years? How has Purdue compared against NW, Iowa, UW and Nebraska? for me, to get a true gauge and assessment of how well he has done and what our future holds, we need to compare our current team and coach against the accomplishments of the teams we will play against.

in the past, Purdue was 13-14th in recruiting in the BIG 10. and now we're in the top 5 in the BIG and top 25 in the country depending on which rating you use (Total or average). When was the last time that happened? Tiller did it once or twice. Brohm has done a great job against his peers in recruiting. On the field, Brohm has taken a bottom feeder in the BIG 10, and made it a top 3 in the West and a contender with UW for a West Championship. I have a lot of friends and family from Wisconsin. They fear and respect Purdue.

And that's why I'm so positive about Brohm. Purdue could have hired anybody to be an improvement over Hazell. but Brohm has done more at Purdue than his contemporaries. And going into this year, I don't hope we'll beat NW and minn and UW. Rather , I expect we will. I no longer hope we'll win the bucket game. I look at it as a "given". and that is what Brohm has done. he's changed "hopes" to "expectations".

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
No, Brohm's success is getting him paid.

7-6 and 6-6 doesn’t get you 5 million a year. If you believe that, then there is nothing I can do for you.

Brohm has a top level staff and deserves to be paid, but if not for the 8 mediocre at best years including several at the absolute bottom of the Big, it’s unlikely he would have gotten 2 pay raises in the first 2 years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we did and I think he deserves it. Don’t misunderstand. But without the Haze’s absolute failures and seeing how low this program can get, the AD and fans were willing to do anything to prevent that from happening again.

7-6 and 6-6 doesn’t get you 5 million a year. If you believe that, then there is nothing I can do for you.

Brohm has a top level staff and deserves to be paid, but if not for the 8 mediocre at best years including several at the absolute bottom of the Big, it’s unlikely he would have gotten 2 pay raises in the first 2 years. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad we did and I think he deserves it. Don’t misunderstand. But without the Haze’s absolute failures and seeing how low this program can get, the AD and fans were willing to do anything to prevent that from happening again.

Brohm is being paid for HIS results. If you deny that, there's nothing I can do to help you.

This admin isn't looking at the prior coach's results, saying, "d@mn! it could be so much worse, so lets pay Brohm more!"

No, of course not. He's a d@mn good coach, and he's getting paid for his work.

Brohm is being paid for HIS results. If you deny that, there's nothing I can do to help you.

This admin isn't looking at the prior coach's results, saying, "d@mn! it could be so much worse, so lets pay Brohm more!"

No, of course not. He's a d@mn good coach, and he's getting paid for his work.

Show me another coach that got a pay raise after going 7-6 and then another one bumping him into the top 20 paid coaches after going 6-7. I’ll wait.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Show me another coach that got a pay raise after going 7-6 and then another one bumping him into the top 20 paid coaches after going 6-7. I’ll wait.

You said Hazell's failures got Brohm paid.

That's utter nonsense.

Brohm's performance is getting him paid.

Period. Citing records is fan-speak. You're justifying his pay with his record. It's Brohm's peformance that's getting him paid. Hazell's failures did nothing for Brohm.

Do you think Brohm’s ability to take Purdue from the mid 70’s in recruiting to mid 20’s in one year, the huge surge in attendance, and overall buzz not seen since the Brees years had any impact on the raises? Let me answer that question for you - they did.

Reactions: Purdue85
I believe a lot of his increased salary had a lot more to do with the increased revenue he and his team generated. Forget about the previous coach and administration. Forget the record. Just look at the increase in attendance and increased revenue. Brohm brought that to Purdue and he is worth being rewarded for doing so.

Reactions: er5reni
I believe a lot of his increased salary had a lot more to do with the increased revenue he and his team generated. Forget about the previous coach and administration. Forget the record. Just look at the increase in attendance and increased revenue. Brohm brought that to Purdue and he is worth being rewarded for doing so.
That contract was about retention. A lot was funded by big fish.

Not sure what your old girlfriends have to do with any of this, but OK. Haze’s performance, or lack thereof, is public record, and is going to be used as part of the measuring stick for CJB.

In other words, if CJB was .500 after taking over for Tiller in 2009, it wouldn’t have been nearly as impressive.

The past is prologue.

Do you think Brohm’s ability to take Purdue from the mid 70’s in recruiting to mid 20’s in one year, the huge surge in attendance, and overall buzz not seen since the Brees years had any impact on the raises? Let me answer that question for you - they did.

Or you could scroll up and read my other posts. That was an option too.

Not sure what your old girlfriends have to do with any of this, but OK. Haze’s performance, or lack thereof, is public record, and is going to be used as part of the measuring stick for CJB.

In other words, if CJB was .500 after taking over for Tiller in 2009, it wouldn’t have been nearly as impressive.

The past is prologue.

"...(Hazell's) failures helped Brohm get paid."

Use your noggin, brother. That's just ridiculous. It cannot be defended.

Brohm's work is getting his own @ss paid, and it has nothing to do with DH.

Let's have some intellectual honesty.

The past is prologue.

Your facts are not welcome in this argument with 85. Clearly Hope should have gotten two raises. You can’t ignore how awful Purdue was and how little the fans supporting the program. Seeing the increase in revenue and excitement on top of a top 25 class is why he got paid. Not his record, even if he did overachieve and do a phenomenal job. If Brohm leaves, the momentum and that class were gone. The raise was a no brainer and it absolutely had some pet to do with how horrible Purdue was in the Hazel years. Just look at the attendance jump and revenue jump. That is why. And the excitement of fans got the right folks to pony up. But 13-13 alone isn’t getting you 5 mil a year. Crazy to think that people believe that is ok. 6-6 just isn’t acceptable at that pay rate. I think that floor moves up to about 10 wins. Less will seem like underachieving.

Your facts are not welcome in this argument with 85. Clearly Hope should have gotten two raises. You can’t ignore how awful Purdue was and how little the fans supporting the program. Seeing the increase in revenue and excitement on top of a top 25 class is why he got paid. Not his record, even if he did overachieve and do a phenomenal job. If Brohm leaves, the momentum and that class were gone. The raise was a no brainer and it absolutely had some pet to do with how horrible Purdue was in the Hazel years. Just look at the attendance jump and revenue jump. That is why. And the excitement of fans got the right folks to pony up. But 13-13 alone isn’t getting you 5 mil a year. Crazy to think that people believe that is ok. 6-6 just isn’t acceptable at that pay rate. I think that floor moves up to about 10 wins. Less will seem like underachieving.

What "facts"?

I'm open to facts. Your initial silly remark has been shot down, now it's ad hominem.

It was, is and will continue to be a fact... Brohm's work is getting his OWN @ss paid, and has nothing to do with DH. Nothing. Fact that.

What "facts"?

I'm open to facts. Your initial silly remark has been shot down, now it's ad hominem.

It was, is and will continue to be a fact... Brohm's work is getting his OWN @ss paid, and has nothing to do with DH. Nothing. Fact that.

Ok... show me another HC getting two pay bumps for 13-13. I am still waiting.

What Brohm did with what he had was impressive. But it’s because of how awful Hazel was and how little he got out of those players that made what Brohm did so impressive. You can keep repeating the same nonsense, but you still can’t show anybody getting a double pay raise on 13-13. It’s because of how bad Hazel was and what he left and what Brohm did with them.

Ok... show me another HC getting two pay bumps for 13-13. I am still waiting.

What Brohm did with what he had was impressive. But it’s because of how awful Hazel was and how little he got out of those players that made what Brohm did so impressive. You can keep repeating the same nonsense, but you still can’t show anybody getting a double pay raise on 13-13. It’s because of how bad Hazel was and what he left and what Brohm did with them.

Horse crap. DH has nothing to do with Brohm's work. Nothing.

You want to engage in "fan-speak." The Purdue Admin recognizes the great work he's doing. That doesn't have one d@mn thing to do with "(DH's failures) help(ing) Brohm get paid."

You cannot defend such ridiculous statement. Purdue is paying Brohm for his work. Period.

Horse crap. DH has nothing to do with Brohm's work. Nothing.

You want to engage in "fan-speak." The Purdue Admin recognizes the great work he's doing. That doesn't have one d@mn thing to do with "(DH's failures) help(ing) Brohm get paid."

You cannot defend such ridiculous statement. Purdue is paying Brohm for his work. Period.

Guess you gave up showing any other coach turning a 13-13 into a double contract. I accept your gracious defeat.

Guess you gave up showing any other coach turning a 13-13 into a double contract. I accept your gracious defeat.

You made a poorly thought out statement, and now you're trying desperately to make it relevant.

Had DH gone 11-2, 12-1, 10-3, etc., before leaving for another job, they would have brought in a coach at a MUCH higher salary than Brohm initially got.

Period. (Don't argue that. That will just make you look worse.)

Now, when Brohm... BROHM(!)... demonstrates he's a winner, and he gets his pay bumped, you make a foolish, moronic statement that it's DH's "failures" that got Brohm paid.

Brother, I've tried to be kind, but you're having none of it, so I'll just be blunt: That's stupid. It's moronic. Brohm is getting paid NOT because of how bad DH was, he's getting paid because the admin LOVES the direction of the program, and the work Brohm is doing. To suggest anything else is just dumb as h#ll.

Reactions: Inspector100
Why would hiring a guy as a head coach at a power 5 conference that was going to be at retirement age in two or three years ever be a good idea?

I can't tell you which team is going to be better this year, Kansas or Purdue, but I can tell you who is more likely to be leading a successful team ten years from now. The thought of hiring Les Miles sends shivers down my spine (not good shivers).

If you had been as bad as The Jayhawks have been you would take what you could today and
let tomorrow take care of itself. Few remember that Miami was downtrodden and then the amazing Lou Saban showed up and turned them into a winning program and began a strong legacy of quarterbacks by bringing Jim Kelly to Coral Gables. He got it started and restored the program.

And while you are waiting I will wait to hear the name of the last Power5 coach to inherit a team that went 9-39 in the previous four years and proceeded to go 13-13, go to consecutive bowls, beat the # 2 team in the nation by 29 points and increase the attendance average from 34,000 to 51,000?

Last edited:
"...(Hazell's) failures helped Brohm get paid."

Use your noggin, brother. That's just ridiculous. It cannot be defended.

Brohm's work is getting his own @ss paid, and it has nothing to do with DH.

Let's have some intellectual honesty.
The Haze’s historically awful performance created an opportunity
for Brohm, and will always be the prologue for Brohm’s story here, like it or not.

Just like the disastrous state of Apple when Jobs came back is an integral part of his miraculous turnaround story there.

To fully appreciate the work CJB has done, you have to really know how bad a shape Morgue and the Haze left the program in. Twin degrees doesn’t, and that’s why he doesn’t understand the contract extension. That’s why I brought it up in the first place.

Reactions: 70boiler
And while you are waiting I will wait to hear the name of the last Power5 coach to inherit a team that went 9-39 in the previous four years and proceeded to go 13-13, go to consecutive bowls, beat the # 2 team in the nation by 29 points and increase the attendance average from 34,000 to 51,000?
The increase in attendance is self-explanatory. Under Tiller the crowds were there, early Hope the crowds were there, late Hope the crowds were less. Under Haze, they picked up early, and very early they went away when the work of art was displayed for all to see. Now, with the Brohm hype getting PU fans in a frenzy after 6-6 back-to-back seasons, and bowl appearances, there's the appearance of gold in them hills again. What we don't know is, is it real or is it pyrite. I'd guess another so-so season and the crowds will again decrease.

for Brohm, and will always be the prologue for Brohm’s story here, like it or not.

Just like the disastrous state of Apple when Jobs came back is an integral part of his miraculous turnaround story there.

To fully appreciate the work CJB has done, you have to really know how bad a shape Morgue and the Haze left the program in. Twin degrees doesn’t, and that’s why he doesn’t understand the contract extension. That’s why I brought it up in the first place.
Sorry, but Twin does understand. What I don't understand is why so soon....Brohm is under contract with a huge buyout and he's won a total of 13 games, two against the weakest FB team in America. Why not let him work for what he agreed to, and then re-evaluate in two years. Personally, I think it's nuts to do what Bo did with this, but that's just my opinion. And I do believe anything less than 8 wins this year is a failure.

The increase in attendance is self-explanatory. Under Tiller the crowds were there, early Hope the crowds were there, late Hope the crowds were less. Under Haze, they picked up early, and very early they went away when the work of art was displayed for all to see. Now, with the Brohm hype getting PU fans in a frenzy after 6-6 back-to-back seasons, and bowl appearances, there's the appearance of gold in them hills again. What we don't know is, is it real or is it pyrite. I'd guess another so-so season and the crowds will again decrease.

Purdue has never invested money in marketing and making the game day experience a positive one like they are today. Previous regimes would have scoffed at assigning a specific sales person to the account of every ticket holder as a personal concierge. They will win, they will prosper and the crappy “Poor Us” attitude of Purdue fans will become a distant memory.

Purdue has never invested money in marketing and making the game day experience a positive one like they are today. Previous regimes would have scoffed at assigning a specific sales person to the account of every ticket holder as a personal concierge. They will win, they will prosper and the crappy “Poor Us” attitude of Purdue fans will become a distant memory.
Will you and the PU Nation be happy with 6 wins again this season? What will it take...7, 8? When will you and others hold him accountable for winning the conference and major bowl games? With what he's being paid, minor bowls are now unacceptable IMHO.

I'm not against the guy, even though I did want Les, but with the year's behind him building, and a top 20ish class coming in, it's time the pudding shows the proof. Again, less than 8 wins this year is, in my opinion, a failure.

Happy Easter and a blessed day to all.

Sorry, but Twin does understand. What I don't understand is why so soon....Brohm is under contract with a huge buyout and he's won a total of 13 games, two against the weakest FB team in America. Why not let him work for what he agreed to, and then re-evaluate in two years. Personally, I think it's nuts to do what Bo did with this, but that's just my opinion. And I do believe anything less than 8 wins this year is a failure.
From reading your posts over the years, it’s obvious that you follow hoops and baseball much closer than football. And that’s fine. The college football world (including Tennessee and UL obviously) understood the amazing job CJB did in his first 2 years.

He is averaging SIX TIMES the number of conference wins per season than the Haze did. That cannot be minimized. Especially given the terrible shape Haze left the lines in.

Why so soon? The market dictated it. And it was NOT a “huge buyout” for he and a new school to pay, relatively speaking.

You literally just made my argument, thank you.

Sindelar is the key for good season. If he plays well, unlike first few games last year, then the team will win more than 6.

All that was pointless.

Brohm gets what he earns. Not because of Hazell.
Gene Keady's retirement created an opportunity for Painter. that doesn't mean Painter got his money because of Keady.

Goodness.

All that was pointless.

Brohm gets what he earns. Not because of Hazell.
Gene Keady's retirement created an opportunity for Painter. that doesn't mean Painter got his money because of Keady.

Goodness.
Of course CJB has earned his money. If you don’t understand how Haze’s performance created an OPPORTUNITY for CJB, or any other good coach for that matter, then we are probably done here.

Reactions: StickPurdue
From reading your posts over the years, it’s obvious that you follow hoops and baseball much closer than football. And that’s fine. The college football world (including Tennessee and UL obviously) understood the amazing job CJB did in his first 2 years.

He is averaging SIX TIMES the number of conference wins per season than the Haze did. That cannot be minimized. Especially given the terrible shape Haze left the lines in.

Why so soon? The market dictated it. And it was NOT a “huge buyout” for he and a new school to pay, relatively speaking.
New Pal, I do follow and watch college football....way too many games. About the only things I don't watch are NBA, Soccer, & Tennis. I've backed off the NFL as well, but still sneak a peak at my Bears once in awhile. And averaging 6X the number of conference...or any wins...that Haze had, really isn't something I'd be bragging about.

Oh...one other little point about UT and Brohm....UT had been turned down by everyone including...well, everyone. They were trying to get anyone they could.

Oh...one other little point about UT and Brohm....UT had been turned down by everyone including...well, everyone. They were trying to get anyone they could.[/QUOTE]

Yet UT never went after your choice - Miles. In fact no one wanted him until Kansas called. He would not have come close to what Brohm has done so far at Purdue. He would've been much more like Fred Akers. He wouldn't have been able to get the type of recruits that he was able to get at LSU(for multiple reasons) nor been able to find any type of real success in the first two years.

Reactions: Inspector100
You haven't made a case for the argument that "(DH's) failures helped Brohm get paid."

Keep trying, if you must. That statement is just absurd.
I don’t believe I said that. I said Haze’s incompetence created an opportunity, for CJB, or some other quality coach, to come in and work their tail off to get the program back where it has been before.

I don’t believe I said that. I said Haze’s incompetence created an opportunity, for CJB, or some other quality coach, to come in and work their tail off to get the program back where it has been before.

No, that was what generated my response, which you then chose to engage. If you didn't agree with it, don't disagree with my comment/criticism of it.

My position is, was, and will continue to be, Brohm is being paid because of BROHM, and nothing else.

Reactions: destewart
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT