ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to George on Winning Second SB!

Congrats to George, but according to Mahomes after the game, God was an advisor to the Chiefs, which is an unfair advantage.
If only the 49ers had thought to do the same thing. Maybe they would have understood the overtime rules.

If only the 49ers had thought to do the same thing. Maybe they would have understood the overtime rules.
Supposedly, at least Shanahan knew, which really should be enough. He wanted to take the ball first so he could have it 3rd, and thus sudden death. Only problem is it didn't get that far. Also sounded like KC would have gone for 2 if it went TD-TD.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Supposedly, at least Shanahan knew, which really should be enough. He wanted to take the ball first so he could have it 3rd, and thus sudden death. Only problem is it didn't get that far. Also sounded like KC would have gone for 2 if it went TD-TD.
I thought it was a good move because the SF defense needed a rest .

I'm mostly being snarky about Mahomes, but I think you're right about Shanahan. There was some reporting that suggested players on both teams didn't understand the rules.

I thought it was a good move because the SF defense needed a rest .
In the end, this format isn't all that much different than college. Possibly makes MORE sense to go on D first because it's really not separate possessions and you can force a punt and get the ball on the 40 or so. Which KC almost did.

If you go as far as Shanahan's theory, it MIGHT make sense to take the ball.

In the end, this format isn't all that much different than college. Possibly makes MORE sense to go on D first because it's really not separate possessions and you can force a punt and get the ball on the 40 or so. Which KC almost did.

If you go as far as Shanahan's theory, it MIGHT make sense to take the ball.
After each team has a possession, it is sudden death, so SF made the smart choice.

After each team has a possession, it is sudden death, so SF made the smart choice.
But you have to get there. He's getting ripped for it, which is a bit result-based, but the team that sounded like they planned for it would have done it differently, so that tells you something.

As a packers fan, I wanted Green Bay to draft George! I had a lot of confidence he would do well in the NFL. But the Packers were stupid and drafted some loser.

Congrats to George. He’s definitely deserving!

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
But you have to get there. He's getting ripped for it, which is a bit result-based, but the team that sounded like they planned for it would have done it differently, so that tells you something.
If there’s a 50% chance that you are either tied or ahead after each team gets a possession, (and I think there is) then you want the ball first, so you get the 3rd possession.

His mistake was not playing for the touchdown.

EDIT- and as others have noted, a tired defense would only add to that being the correct choice.

Reactions: pboiler18
If there’s a 50% chance that you are either tied or ahead after each team gets a possession, (and I think there is) then you want the ball first, so you get the 3rd possession.

His mistake was not playing for the touchdown.

EDIT- and as others have noted, a tired defense would only add to that being the correct choice.
Also, it has come out that KC would have gone for 2 if it went TD-TD, so that counters the 3rd-possession idea as well.

To me, you defer for more reasons than in college because you can get a 3-and-out and get the ball on your own 30-40 yard-line only needing a FG to win. Which they almost did if not for the holding penalty that was legit, but came out of nowhere. At least on the Nickelodeon broadcast.

Also, it has come out that KC would have gone for 2 if it went TD-TD, so that counters the 3rd-possession idea as well.

To me, you defer for more reasons than in college because you can get a 3-and-out and get the ball on your own 30-40 yard-line only needing a FG to win. Which they almost did if not for the holding penalty that was legit, but came out of nowhere. At least on the Nickelodeon broadcast.
If SF had scored a TD, and kicked, the chances of KC scoring a Touchdown and then converting a 2 point play would be pretty low IMO.

And in that OT, no way SF is punting on fourth down unless its long yardage. It’s like Belichick going for it on his own 29 yard line against the colts.

And in that OT, no way SF is punting on fourth down unless its long yardage. It’s like Belichick going for it on his own 29 yard line against the colts.
They were going to be 4th and 13 on their own 22 if not for the hold. They were lucky to recover a fumble in the first place.

I'm a 49ers fan so this one hurt a little. 49ers had plenty of chances though. That extra point and punt return issue screwed us. I just can't stand Mahomes for some reason. I really can't figure out why.

I'm a 49ers fan so this one hurt a little. 49ers had plenty of chances though. That extra point and punt return issue screwed us. I just can't stand Mahomes for some reason. I really can't figure out why.
can't stand Kelce, Niners had plenty of chances, some of the play calling was weird. The one series near the end of regulation, McCaffrey gets 6 on 1st down, then 2 straight passes? run the offensive POY 3 times, get 1st down kick FG game over

Reactions: pboiler18
The game was what it was, with bonehead plays by supposedly good football players. My exwife used to work for Ma Bell south of SF in the distant past when they won Superbowls, and they had many Niner players as customers. Comments after speaking to some by the women working there were frequently of the sort, That ***** is a really stupid *****. So intelligence and football definitely don't necessarily go together.

can't stand Kelce, Niners had plenty of chances, some of the play calling was weird. The one series near the end of regulation, McCaffrey gets 6 on 1st down, then 2 straight passes? run the offensive POY 3 times, get 1st down kick FG game over
Yeah they stopped running after halftime until the end of the 4th quarter. It made 0 sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT