ADVERTISEMENT

I Feel Another Classic Battle is Coming

I pray that both of our teams hold up their ends and meet again in a classic Elite 8 battle. Congrats on your season and best of luck (until you play the Vols)!
Appreciate the well wishes. You guys have a hell of a team this season and was really hoping we wouldn't have to face you again this season. I guess with the bracket as it is we would both welcome a rematch at this point. One of us would get the Final Four monkey off our back.

I've been a big fan of the "rivalry" since Barnes became head coach and started getting us into high level tournaments, which has resulted in the teams playing each other quite a bit. And then of course the incredible 2019 Sweet 16 game. Hoping we can finally win one of these close ones. Edey is a beast though.

Reactions: tjreese
As a Purdue fan, I hope not!

Knecht is even better than he was then, and no way Purdue holds him to 3 points in the second half again!
I don't even remember the first game. Is there a specific that you see him doing better? I don't remember his game, but do remember he was suppose to be very good.

I don't even remember the first game. Is there a specific that you see him doing better? I don't remember his game, but do remember he was suppose to be very good.
Believe in Maui/Hawaii he was dealing with cramping/dehydration and had to sit. And when he wasn't sitting, he wasn't as explosive.

I've been a big fan of the "rivalry" since Barnes became head coach and started getting us into high level tournaments, which has resulted in the teams playing each other quite a bit. And then of course the incredible 2019 Sweet 16 game. Hoping we can finally win one of these close ones. Edey is a beast though.
TN was the one team I hoped we wouldn't have to play again.
The NCAA though put us in the same region for a reason.
Some really good games in BB and Football.

TN was the one team I hoped we wouldn't have to play again.
The NCAA though put us in the same region for a reason.
Some really good games in BB and Football.
A lot of fans did not want to see Tennessee again this year. Some were concerned if the physical D would be allowed and many were concerned about hearing Rocky Top over...and over...and over...and over several times again. I understand some still have a hard time sleeping at night hearing it in their heads even today. ;) Tenn has had too many tough games to not take a toll on the heart a little...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
You haven't seen TN play since Hawaii?

Knecht got the 2nd most votes/points (behind Edey) for 1st team All-American. He scores at all 3 levels and is a nightmare. As someone said above he was having cramping issues in Hawaii. Long way off, but if we meet them, I don't know who we put on him.

Knecht got the 2nd most votes/points (behind Edey) for 1st team All-American. He scores at all 3 levels and is a nightmare. As someone said above he was having cramping issues in Hawaii. Long way off, but if we meet them, I don't know who we put on him.
I was aware from reading what you typed, but no I haven't seen Tenn play again this year. Between the forums, time going to and from Purdue for games, seeing the Purdue games again on TV, and catching other Big teams, Butler and some Big East a little, my plate is more full than it needs to be. Certainly if it appears Purdue and Tenn are headed to a rematch I'll try to see them if possible. I have no idea if YoutubeTV has it recorded or not.

I have no idea how Purdue defended him before and even though he had some physical struggles...that approach at the time is what the coaches thought best for defending Tenn and his weighing inside that team. It probably is the starting point for the next time I'm guessing? Don't have to depend on youtubetv

I was aware from reading what you typed, but no I haven't seen Tenn play again this year. Between the forums, time going to and from Purdue for games, seeing the Purdue games again on TV, and catching other Big teams, Butler and some Big East a little, my plate is more full than it needs to be. Certainly if it appears Purdue and Tenn are headed to a rematch I'll try to see them if possible. I have no idea if YoutubeTV has it recorded or not.

I have no idea how Purdue defended him before and even though he had some physical struggles...that approach at the time is what the coaches thought best for defending Tenn and his weighing inside that team. It probably is the starting point for the next time I'm guessing? Don't have to depend on youtubetv
I don't want to play them again because I'm sure it would not be called the same way, we lived at the charity stripe

It will be different for another reason. Their PG was just coming back from Knee injury in Hawaii. He is full go now, making them a much tougher team.

I don't spend any time worrying about the #2 seed this far out, so much can happen to either of us before then. But this was the team I did not want to see as our #2 seed. I've seen all of the top teams multiple times this year and I think they are the strongest #2.

It will be different for another reason. Their PG was just coming back from Knee injury in Hawaii. He is full go now, making them a much tougher team.

I don't spend any time worrying about the #2 seed this far out, so much can happen to either of us before then. But this was the team I did not want to see as our #2 seed. I've seen all of the top teams multiple times this year and I think they are the strongest #2.
Agreed - I do think we are a better team right now, as our PG (Zeigler) is 100% recovered, made 1st Team All SEC and was SEC Defensive player of the year. Just wish he was taller than 5'9" - he can drive by anyone but has a hard time finishing around the basket due to his height (or lack thereof). And Knecht has gotten better as the year has progressed, as his conditioning seems to be much better. The one issue I see with him is he can miss on drives against physical defense.

The one think I would say about our "physical play" is that it has been overblown this year. This team is built to run, and does not generally fare well in slow tempo, pure half court games. South Carolina and Miss State abused us several times this year in those type of games. Our center (Aidoo) is not strong enough to go against physical big guys.

I just watched the first half. Purdue is MUCH better than the first half and I imagine Tenn is as well. Caleb got a lot of minutes, Ethan a few and Myles in the game with half of the first half to go. Lot of missed shots by Purdue and some can be attributed to Tenn D speeding up Purdue a bit. Tenn really swarmed to the lane with all five going to board and when the ball entered to Zach. Purdue, not sagging as much as the last 2 or 3 games, but THAT can be all team dependent in how so and so is covered.

I see Knecht as a quicker and weaker Domask. If they play, we might see Cam on him. Fletch had his share of time on him. He is much quicker, but not as strong inside it appears...maybe taller too? Again he wasn't feeling well. A lot of up and down running with both teams not having much to show for it. 30pts at half. NO idea of the stats and can't recall where this game was in the progression of teams or days. Zach got two fouls and sat out some and not sure if both teams thought they had more depth after previous days, but it was much more up and down game in the first half. As the half wore on Tenn extended the pressure.

can see them trying to speed up Purdue the next game and take Zach out a bit and hope for turnovers and I can also see them playing Zach with a double some and selective scrapes and digs depending on who the defender in both cases has. Purdue got some looks and missed and they may not count on that again. Still some credit goes to Tenn for speeding up those looks. The little PG mentioned above concerns me with his D on Braden and any penetration he has where he can find a bounce pass around Zach to an undefended player. I suspect not know anything other than a few minutes about Tenn that Purdue is a bit slower and utilizing Zach to score and kick out for the three ball if he can find the shooter...and as always run when it is there. Tenn will want to speed it up and Purdue will want to play slower...except when there is a clear advantage it seems

I just watched the first half. Purdue is MUCH better than the first half and I imagine Tenn is as well. Caleb got a lot of minutes, Ethan a few and Myles in the game with half of the first half to go. Lot of missed shots by Purdue and some can be attributed to Tenn D speeding up Purdue a bit. Tenn really swarmed to the lane with all five going to board and when the ball entered to Zach. Purdue, not sagging as much as the last 2 or 3 games, but THAT can be all team dependent in how so and so is covered.

I see Knecht as a quicker and weaker Domask. If they play, we might see Cam on him. Fletch had his share of time on him. He is much quicker, but not as strong inside it appears...maybe taller too? Again he wasn't feeling well. A lot of up and down running with both teams not having much to show for it. 30pts at half. NO idea of the stats and can't recall where this game was in the progression of teams or days. Zach got two fouls and sat out some and not sure if both teams thought they had more depth after previous days, but it was much more up and down game in the first half. As the half wore on Tenn extended the pressure.

can see them trying to speed up Purdue the next game and take Zach out a bit and hope for turnovers and I can also see them playing Zach with a double some and selective scrapes and digs depending on who the defender in both cases has. Purdue got some looks and missed and they may not count on that again. Still some credit goes to Tenn for speeding up those looks. The little PG mentioned above concerns me with his D on Braden and any penetration he has where he can find a bounce pass around Zach to an undefended player. I suspect not know anything other than a few minutes about Tenn that Purdue is a bit slower and utilizing Zach to score and kick out for the three ball if he can find the shooter...and as always run when it is there. Tenn will want to speed it up and Purdue will want to play slower...except when there is a clear advantage it seems
If you want to "scout" TN, you'd do better to watch a more recent game of theirs. Again, they are much better now with Ziegler full speed. He was a shell of himself against PU. 2/28 game against Auburn and 3/9 vs Kentucky would be good ones.

Knecht and Domask are both listed as 6'6". Domask is listed as 10 lbs heavier.

IMO, Knecht is a much more dynamic and dangerous player. I believe he puts the defense in much more of a bind than Domask. His 3 pt % is 40% compared to 29% for Domask. I'm guessing Cam would be best and be ready to help him when possible. Once Knecht gets going he's hard to shut off.

We played them in the 2nd game of Hawaii. 1 day after Gonzaga and day before Marquette.

If you want to "scout" TN, you'd do better to watch a more recent game of theirs. Again, they are much better now with Ziegler full speed. He was a shell of himself against PU. 2/28 game against Auburn and 3/9 vs Kentucky would be good ones.

IMO, Knecht is a much more dynamic and dangerous player. I believe he puts the defense in much more of a bind than Domask. His 3 pt % is 40% compared to 29% for Domask. I'm guessing Cam would be best and be ready to help him when possible. Once Knecht gets going he's hard to shut off.

We played them in the 2nd game of Hawaii. 1 day after Gonzaga and day before Marquette.
Yeah Domask has one thing. It's a really really good thing but he's one dimensional.

Yeah, I was just trying to refresh my mind a bit. No question a player without a health issue at the time could be a bit different than later in the year. Other than the 3 ball (he did hit a couple in that first half) which I didn't know (%), my quick guess agrees with what you wrote. What I can't tell is how Knecht does as far as giving up the ball when he is inside a bit. We know Domask is very much comfortable inside and will pass out. That quick glance looked to me a bit like Knecht prefers the perimeter shot, but will also drive the ball and I think Domask prefers to get deep, but will shoot the 3 ball and in-between as well. Knecht is quicker and Domask stronger. Both can score inside and out, but in a quick look at Knecht back then in the first half he appears to prefer the 3 ball where it seems to me that Domask prefers close to the rim. Yeah, if it gets closer I'll try to catch a tourney game

Another rematch. Checking the box score from months ago... edey only played 26 minutes. We shot AWFUL from the ft line. If edey plays 35 min or more I think we take it, but Dalton scares me big time

All we heard was how much better Gonzaga is versus the first time we played. Now the same about Tennessee. I don’t doubt either statement. But it turns out ( and Gonzaga found out) that Purdue is much better too. Smith was not looking to score back then vs the Vols. Lance Jones was still finding his way on a new team. Gillis was not a go to bench scorer ( he had zero) now he is a three point scorer at about 40% and an excellent post passer. Furst played 20 minutes, but Painter now says he is going with his more skilled players, Freshman Heide and Colvin, who weren’t really ready versus Tennessee ( they had zero points, rebounds and assists). Edey missed 8 free throws, Smith was 2-6. Not likely to happen again. It likely will be like a Big Ten grinder of a game. I think Purdue can compete against improved Tennessee.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I really think it's about holding others down. Got to keep the rest of their guys off the boards where they score. That might be a more achievable outcome? K will get his pts, just keep him below 25. And that is a challenge right there.

This almost feels like this is going to be the same type of Carsen Edwards Tennessee NCAA Tournament game. Just hope it is the same result for us.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT