ADVERTISEMENT

CJB Contract

Purdue is going to regret this contract within 2 years. That is win the West money, and the West ain't getting any easier. What a great deal for him.

Yes, Purdue is so far away from winning the B1G West. Bobinksi probably has second thoughts already.

Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Fair responses. No ill will intended. Just stressing the point where things now get serious quickly. That’s not fringe bowl territory money. Leadership is all in and I can respect that. I think his work is cut out for him and at the moment I think Purdue grossly overpaid. Time will tell but this year will be tough when Fleck finishes better at half the price.

Fleck inherited a team that was 9-3. Always nice to build on a solid foundation. Recruiting is where it is at and Brohm and his staff have brought an ability to put Purdue in the conversation for top recruits. In 3 years, I have little doubt Purdue will be in the Top 30 with recruiting classes in the Top 20.

I see this year as the year Purdue and Brohm start to make the leap to the next plateau . I've followed Brohm from his hiring. He is night and day better and more involved in his job than the two previous coaches. I look forward to this year.

My only regret is I have really scrutinized his work ethic and accomplishments against his two previous Purdue coaches and not his contemporaries. He does so many things in the off season they never even thought of doing. To me he is amazing at how many things he does outside of just coaching. I just am led to wonder if he is special and extraordinary or if what he is doing is what all successful coaches do.

I recall an interview Saban had once after winning a Bowl game. They asked him if he was going to sit back and enjoy and celebrate now that the season was over. His reply was he was going to celebrate for an hour; watch some game film; and then catch a flight to hit the recruiting trail. The victory was nice, but he works football 24/7 and 365. Brohm's work ethic reminds me a lot of Saban. Coaching football is more than just a job to him.

I like Brohm and I want to see him and also Purdue succeed! With success comes greater hopes and also expectations.

Fair responses. No ill will intended. Just stressing the point where things now get serious quickly. That’s not fringe bowl territory money. Leadership is all in and I can respect that. I think his work is cut out for him and at the moment I think Purdue grossly overpaid. Time will tell but this year will be tough when Fleck finishes better at half the price.

You seem either bitter or nervous? Which are you: iu or Lville fan?

Actually less than most people thought. I guess this shows the Louisville offer wasn’t as much as their fans led us to believe.

Money well spent IMO.
I was thinking maybe CJB was tipped off about possible sanctions given UofL was notified last week of them. If so, they bumbled getting their home run hire and a little more luck this athletic season to go Purdue's way.

Let's elaborate then. He's now the highest paid coach in the West including incentives. So where is the bar set at? What happens when he goes 6-6 or 7-5 next season? How long will that be acceptable? He hasn't even had any turnover at the most important position on the field (QB) during his tenure. I get fans are excited about what he's done in 2 years but it's a new ball game with that contract. I'm interested to see how long the Honeymoon lasts.
We aren’t spending any more on our head coaching position this year than we have the last 2 years. Appreciate your concern about our finances though.

A curious question. I believe the entire board would agree with how bad of a coach Hazell was. And the entire board would agree with how much better of a coach Brohm is over Hazell.

I have two questions. How many other BIG 10 coaches is Brohm better than? Is he better than UW's coach? Or Iowa? Or MSU? Or Mich? Or OSU? Minn? NW? If not is he deserving of being paid more?

Second question. If Purdue didn't hire Brohm, but hired somebody else. What do you expect his record would be? Would he have been able to go 6-6? Surely he would have been an improvement over Hazell. Is it possible a different coach could have guided Purdue to two 6-6 seasons?

Your first question is completely subjective and the second is impossible to answer other than to say, yes I'm sure there is a coach that could have guided them to two 6-6 seasons as no one could make a valid argument that he is the best football coach alive right now.

Last edited:
I asked the two questions, because Hazell "ALMOST" won a few more games if not for a couple of bad breaks, and dropped passes. our talent was not as bad as our record indicated. I believe any coach could have come here and produced 4-6 wins with a little luck and some receivers who could hold onto the ball. While he would not be popular, and his style would be boring, I believe Miles could have produced a 5-6 win season. I'm not a Fleck fan, but I have to believe he could have produced a 5-6 win season. the same could probably be said about Frost.

From an MB perspective, he was probably looking at a return on investment. At the press conference when he introduced Hazell, he said Hazell should be able to bring Purdue back to the top half of the BIG 10. I will always remember those words. MB didn't say championship, or rose bowl or Western Conference champion, or championship contender. he said top half of the BIG 10. While that might be a realistic viewpoint, it's definitely not something you say publically as your goal when introducing your new coach.

I believe Brohm can take this team to the 8-9 win level. he has already earned his paycheck in increased fan support, revenue, excitement and improved talent level.

Following a business model, some businesses reward success following a successful performance. if you have a good year, they pay out dividends. however, the more successful businesses take the risk and spend the money upfront and build a successful business, and then sit back and watch as the success unfolds. the later of the two usually achieve greater success, but also with greater risk. you will always have critics. Did the Yankees and Dodgers spend too much money? Should the brewers have spent more on a ace starting pitcher? Purdue is follow the model set by the Yankees and Dodgers. They're going for it, in a win now mode with Brohm. I'll take the win now mode any day over the we need a 5 year rebuilding plan.

My previous comments were made with the thought if the goal was to just become a .500 team, there were probably many coaches who probably could have come to Purdue and produced a 6-6 season at a cheaper salary than brohm.

But Purdue is paying Brohm up front with the belief he can take Purdue to a higher 8-10 win plateau. it's a risk. they believe he's worth the risk. he's already brought back the revenue and excitement.

I asked the two questions, because Hazell "ALMOST" won a few more games if not for a couple of bad breaks, and dropped passes. our talent was not as bad as our record indicated. I believe any coach could have come here and produced 4-6 wins with a little luck and some receivers who could hold onto the ball. While he would not be popular, and his style would be boring, I believe Miles could have produced a 5-6 win season. I'm not a Fleck fan, but I have to believe he could have produced a 5-6 win season. the same could probably be said about Frost.
1) Hazell had better talent left to him than he left behind. Not sure if that is what you are trying to say. Hazell did Purdue no favors with his recruiting.
2) I looked at all games from the 3.5 seasons Hazell coached.
  • IN 2013, he lost 2 games by seven points or less. No shot a .500 record. Average margin of loss was 25.7
  • In 2014, he lost 2 games by seven points or less. No shot at a .500 record. Average margin of loss was 15
  • In 2015, he lost 3 games by 7 points or less. No shot at a .500 record. Average margin of loss 23.4
  • In 2016, he lost 0 games by 7 points or less. Was fired (long overdue). Average margin of loss in the six games he coached was 25.
He was awful. Just awful and no amount of luck one way or the other played a hand in it.

A curious question. I believe the entire board would agree with how bad of a coach Hazell was. And the entire board would agree with how much better of a coach Brohm is over Hazell.

I have two questions. How many other BIG 10 coaches is Brohm better than? Is he better than UW's coach? Or Iowa? Or MSU? Or Mich? Or OSU? Minn? NW? If not is he deserving of being paid more?

Second question. If Purdue didn't hire Brohm, but hired somebody else. What do you expect his record would be? Would he have been able to go 6-6? Surely he would have been an improvement over Hazell. Is it possible a different coach could have guided Purdue to two 6-6 seasons?
1) Better than most of coaches in the Big Ten. Now that Urban Meyer is gone, he goes up a notch. Mark Dantonio has 3 Big Ten Titles since 2010. That is clear he is near the top. 2) Tied James Franklin PSU and Paul Chryst UW have taken over solid FB powerhouses and have not slipped at all. 3) Pat Fitzgerald NW. Pat does more with his players than most any coach in the Big Ten and in the country for that matter.
4) Jim Harbaugh MI - don't like him, but he wins. Not being able to overcome tO$U might cost the now highest paid coach in the Big Ten his job. 5) Tied Scott Frost and Coach Jeff Brohm both have high powered offensive minds. Both might move up this list in due time, but this is where I see both of them now. The rest without comment are in this respective order: Kirk Ferentz, P.J. Fleck, Chris Ash, Mike Locksley, Tom Allen, Lovie Smith.
2) Not better than .500 at this juncture. In fact, I'd say worse. The cupboard was bare in a lot of spots and it is only starting to look like a Big Ten team across the board right now from an eyeball test.
We dabbled with trying to hire tO$U template and it backfired horribly. I tend to believe you are who you are and we are a school built around successful QB's since the Dawson era. Sprinkle in a very good RB (Keyes, Alstott) and that helps, but never forget Purdue is cradle of QB's.
CJB's style of Football (pass early and often) is what excites most avid fans. We are and can be an upper tier Big West team. Till we knock off UW, we will be that next level team. I want to see us take down UW, but our boys will have to improve considerably and have depth on both the Off Line and Def Line to make that happen. WI is often not pretty, but they are consistently one of the better Off Lines in the Big.

My early season prediction 8-4, but could be 7-5 with Neb and Minn being swing games. Purdue really layed an egg at MN last year. I hope we are better prepared this year.

1) Hazell had better talent left to him than he left behind. Not sure if that is what you are trying to say. Hazell did Purdue no favors with his recruiting.
2) I looked at all games from the 3.5 seasons Hazell coached.
  • IN 2013, he lost 2 games by seven points or less. No shot a .500 record. Average margin of loss was 25.7
  • In 2014, he lost 2 games by seven points or less. No shot at a .500 record. Average margin of loss was 15
  • In 2015, he lost 3 games by 7 points or less. No shot at a .500 record. Average margin of loss 23.4
  • In 2016, he lost 0 games by 7 points or less. Was fired (long overdue). Average margin of loss in the six games he coached was 25.
He was awful. Just awful and no amount of luck one way or the other played a hand in it.

I admit. he was awful. I was banned from the other Purdue because I called him and his recruits awful. I said he was awful his second week on the job, Others thought I was being too critical.

I'm not saying he would have ever been a .500 coach. but there were a few games he might have won. What I'm saying is two fold.

the first is I believe any coach probably could have taken over the team, and produced 4-6 wins or at least produced a better record taking over for Hazell. Looking at both Fleck and brohm, they each brought with them a lot of their recruits to their schools. It was amazing how many recruits Fleck brought with him to Minnesota. it's true Hazell left a bare cupboard, but a new coach could have easily filled it.

the other is an AD should never set the goal at mediocrity or .500 when hiring a coach. and that's exactly what Morgan did. All Morgan wanted or expected from Hazell was to be in the top half of the BIG 10, which is basically a .500 team. Morgan wanted and easily accepted mediocrity.

You can see the difference. Yes, brohm was 6-6. But rather than accepting it, he is going out of his way to improve upon it. Going 6-6 is no longer the goal or the ceiling.. it's the floor.

Hi Full,
I don’t think anyone would disagree that Minny was better than Purdue last season but I disagree in part with your statement “Just remember it’s much easier to come out of the toilet than it is to reach big boy level.“
It is easier for Nader normal circumstances but Purdue’s circumstances were SO BAD. The teams leading up to Brohm were not even competitive with mid majors much less the bottom of the BIG.
Purdue has become capable of beating the very best, albeit inconsistent, and coach has done it instantaneously. The fact that he has done it with the same kids who were losing almost every game they played prior to his arrival is the key. Granted further leaps up the ladder are not guaranteed but the leap in recruiting bodes well. Not paying Brohm does nothing to elevate the program and increases the risk of losing the coach. He is now building not only skill positions but indications of strong recruiting in the trenches. That is the hardest piece of the puzzle to solve. We will know in the next two years if the contract is a good value. Just as you will know about if Fleck can get there sooner given his talent level head start.
Purdue has certainly paid Brohm extremely well for what...12 wins, two of which are over the worst team in the B10. Going to be a lot of unhappy Boilers if he screws that same pooch again this year.

Purdue has certainly paid Brohm extremely well for what...12 wins, two of which are over the worst team in the B10. Going to be a lot of unhappy Boilers if he screws that same pooch again this year.

Dude, you're the person at the party everyone walks away from, then wonders why you're left staring at your own shoes.

Stop.

We get it. You don't see the value in what he's doing. Most other people do, and it's unnecessary to constantly walk around the party, passing gas.

Edit: My comments apply to this topic only, TD.

Last edited:
Yo, IU centric anti-IU fan, a few thoughts on your post.

1. IU wasn't the worst team in the B1G the last two years. Worst two or three for sure and historically worst in P5 for sure. We were in the conversation for worst in the B1G for a few years before that.

2. Surprisingly Purdue has decided to break the mold and prepay a guy with huge upside and let the chips fall where they may. It would have been so easy to sign a vanilla MAC coach, pay him 2.5 mil a year and phone in 4-8 type seasons. For a Purdue guy who got on the train when Leon Burtnett was driving it that’s an amazing change.

3. For us long time fans to be disappointed this year would require a Hazel like reversion to stupidity. Brohm recruited a top 25 class to our school, his 6-6 seasons were with upperclass ranks in the 70s. If he wins less with higher talent I will be the most surprised guy here. BTW, you'd kill for IU to approach top 25 recruiting classes.

4. Why would I care how much Purdue pays Brohm? It’s not my money and the only way it could possibly hurt our team is if he fails on a very short time scale, hurting our attendance and concessions revenue. I’m pretty sure both of those revenue streams will be enhanced next year.

is the football coach paid by the university using university funds? or by the John Purdue Club using privately donated funds? if the later, why should anyone care how much his salary is? it's not my money being spent.

is the football coach paid by the university using university funds? or by the John Purdue Club using privately donated funds? if the later, why should anyone care how much his salary is? it's not my money being spent.
I believe his salary is paid by the state.

I believe his salary is paid by the state.

Considering that the BoT approves all expenditures, such as coaches salaries, and also that the BoT approved his recent contract, it's very safe to say he's paid by the state.

With that said, Purdue has been one of only a handful of universities where the athletics do not require subsidy.

JPC funds go to scholarships only, if memory serves.

Considering that the BoT approves all expenditures, such as coaches salaries, and also that the BoT approved his recent contract, it's very safe to say he's paid by the state.

With that said, Purdue has been one of only a handful of universities where the athletics do not require subsidy.

JPC funds go to scholarships only, if memory serves.
Correct.

Yo, IU centric anti-IU fan, a few thoughts on your post.

1. IU wasn't the worst team in the B1G the last two years. Worst two or three for sure and historically worst in P5 for sure. We were in the conversation for worst in the B1G for a few years before that.

2. Surprisingly Purdue has decided to break the mold and prepay a guy with huge upside and let the chips fall where they may. It would have been so easy to sign a vanilla MAC coach, pay him 2.5 mil a year and phone in 4-8 type seasons. For a Purdue guy who got on the train when Leon Burtnett was driving it that’s an amazing change.

3. For us long time fans to be disappointed this year would require a Hazel like reversion to stupidity. Brohm recruited a top 25 class to our school, his 6-6 seasons were with upperclass ranks in the 70s. If he wins less with higher talent I will be the most surprised guy here. BTW, you'd kill for IU to approach top 25 recruiting classes.

4. Why would I care how much Purdue pays Brohm? It’s not my money and the only way it could possibly hurt our team is if he fails on a very short time scale, hurting our attendance and concessions revenue. I’m pretty sure both of those revenue streams will be enhanced next year.

Sometimes you're dumber than a rock. I'm not an IU fan, I can't stand Allen, believe they are pre-destined by a higher power to suck at football forever. And I stand by my statement re Brohm and his ability to take PU to the top of the heap. Right now, he's in the easiest division, not having to coach against the best the B10 has to offer. Will he change my opinion...when he does something to change my opinion. Anything less than 8 wins this season is not good.

The OOC part of the schedule this season is the key I think. I think they have a decent chance to sweep it. And gotta return the favor on the boat rowers from last year. Gotta defend the home field.

For those complaining about the number, this contract is going to look like an absolute bargain in a few years. Remember when Drew Brees signed a new contract a few years ago that made him the highest paid QB in the NFL? Now, that contract puts him at #7 behind guys like Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and Matt Stafford. Contracts in big revenue sports are escalating. Within a couple years there will be several B1G schools paying their coaches more than what Brohm just signed.

I've met Coach Kill a couple of times. My son is a current SIU athlete, so he has also met him many times. Coach Kill is a very honest and personable guy who calls it like it is.

For those complaining about the number, this contract is going to look like an absolute bargain in a few years. Remember when Drew Brees signed a new contract a few years ago that made him the highest paid QB in the NFL? Now, that contract puts him at #7 behind guys like Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and Matt Stafford. Contracts in big revenue sports are escalating. Within a couple years there will be several B1G schools paying their coaches more than what Brohm just signed.

I think there are a lot of people, and I mean a lot of people, that totally underestimate just how flush the major sports are with money right now (both college and professional), and it's only getting more so. If Brohm is anywhere near as successful and most people think he needs to be with this current contract, Purdue is going to need to renegotiate a new contract before the current is complete.

If they stick with the current contract, I suspect that after seven years he will be in the lower half of the Big 10 as far as salary goes and it will not seem so big sooner rather than later.

Also what doesn't seem to be getting mentioned is that two schools came hard after him on his first two years at Purdue. This clearly indicates that he was getting paid below market value. There is also a great deal of piece of mind for the AD knowing that it will be VERY difficult for anyone to make a run at him for the next couple of years. This not only helps the AD but it helps recruits and assistant coaches.

Dude, you're the person at the party everyone walks away from, then wonders why you're left staring at your own shoes.

Stop.

We get it. You don't see the value in what he's doing. Most other people do, and it's unnecessary to constantly walk around the party, passing gas.

Edit: My comments apply to this topic only, TD.
Nah, not really PU. Am I not allowed as you are to share MY opinion? I just haven't seen the work to deserve the money....yet.

I think there are a lot of people, and I mean a lot of people, that totally underestimate just how flush the major sports are with money right now (both college and professional), and it's only getting more so. If Brohm is anywhere near as successful and most people think he needs to be with this current contract, Purdue is going to need to renegotiate a new contract before the current is complete.

If they stick with the current contract, I suspect that after seven years he will be in the lower half of the Big 10 as far as salary goes and it will not seem so big sooner rather than later.

Also what doesn't seem to be getting mentioned is that two schools came hard after him on his first two years at Purdue. This clearly indicates that he was getting paid below market value. There is also a great deal of piece of mind for the AD knowing that it will be VERY difficult for anyone to make a run at him for the next couple of years. This not only helps the AD but it helps recruits and assistant coaches.
Your absolutely right Henry about escalating salaries. The local radio station reminded us yesterday that Hope’s salary in 2012 was actually below $1.0 million per year.

Nah, not really PU. Am I not allowed as you are to share MY opinion? I just haven't seen the work to deserve the money....yet.

Don't play that game. You're well aware, you can post any opinion you like, and people can also comment on that opinion.

It seems like every time the issue of Brohm's contract comes up, you want to drop the turd in the punchbowl.

Okay, fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, and others are entitled to comment on it.

Are we done with that, or do you wish to discuss it further?

I'm glad the athletic department and board of trustees don't share your opinion. Because we'd be starting from scratch and more than likely wouldn't have a top 75 recruiting class coming in this year.

Reactions: Purdue85
Don't play that game. You're well aware, you can post any opinion you like, and people can also comment on that opinion.

It seems like every time the issue of Brohm's contract comes up, you want to drop the turd in the punchbowl.

Okay, fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, and others are entitled to comment on it.

Are we done with that, or do you wish to discuss it further?
I was done after posting my 1st opinion.:cool: And, I really hope he earns that money.

Reactions: mathboy
I would tend to agree with TD. I also believe with his 3 years of recruiting, and his big contract, if Brohm only produces another 6-6 record, there will be more people speaking out against him. high scoring offenses are nice, top 25 recruiting classes are great. but most people place results and wins above all other things. a 6-6 year isn't going to cut it. A 5-7 year, people will start becoming very vocal.

I'm not blaming Brohm. I'm just saying I've seen it before from Purdue fans. Hope wasn't good enough. Fans started to complain about both Tiller and Keady. After their success, fans expected even better results. Fans are complaining about Versyp not winning a BIG 10 title despite two elite 8 NCAA runs.

I fully expect Brohm to do well this year. however, if he doesn't, I fully expect Purdue fans to be all over his case, saying this is your third year, and we expect to see progression and improvement over the two previous years. We have a relatively easier BIG 10 schedule. Minnesota, Northwestern, and Nebraska will be our key statement games. I don't expect Purdue to go undefeated. but to climb another notch up the ladder to the 8 win plateau, those are games that will be close, that we need to win. I believe we will win those games. But I also believe if we don't, you will see the negative roseys coming out of the woodwork.

Brohm came in and immediately bested all expectations. Like it or not, we pay him now if we want to see where he can take us. I’m all for paying him and seeing where he takes us. Sure beats a revolving door to the coaches office and starting from scratch every three years after multiple three (or less) win seasons

Reactions: Inspector100
I was done after posting my 1st opinion.:cool: And, I really hope he earns that money.
CJB is averaging SIX TIMES MORE B1G WINS PER SEASON than the Haze. Let that sink in.

To put this in IU hoops parlance: Imagine if Crean averaged 2 conference wins per season, and Lil Arch came in and averaged 12 B1G wins in his first 2 years. He would have gotten a 10 year extension.

I dont know why people continue to argue with TD over football. He legitimately wanted Les Miles. Let that sink in.

I will agree with TD's premise. Brohm is now being paid as much or more than the vast majority of Big 10 and power 5 coaches. With a big paycheck comes bigger expectations. He's not being paid that type of money to produce a losing program. And if he doesn't produce, fans and influential alumni will be calling for his replacement.

It's time we stopped comparing Brohm to Hazell and started comparing him to real head coaches like the coaches at UW, Iowa, Nebraska, Minn and Northwestern. Anybody and everybody should be leaps and bounds better than Hazell.

ADVERTISEMENT