ADVERTISEMENT

CJB Contract

Purdue is going to regret this contract within 2 years. That is win the West money, and the West ain't getting any easier. What a great deal for him.

Terrible take, lol.
Let's elaborate then. He's now the highest paid coach in the West including incentives. So where is the bar set at? What happens when he goes 6-6 or 7-5 next season? How long will that be acceptable? He hasn't even had any turnover at the most important position on the field (QB) during his tenure. I get fans are excited about what he's done in 2 years but it's a new ball game with that contract. I'm interested to see how long the Honeymoon lasts.

Let's elaborate then. He's now the highest paid coach in the West including incentives. So where is the bar set at? What happens when he goes 6-6 or 7-5 next season? How long will that be acceptable? He hasn't even had any turnover at the most important position on the field (QB) during his tenure. I get fans are excited about what he's done in 2 years but it's a new ball game with that contract. I'm interested to see how long the Honeymoon lasts.

Championships are won in the trenches, which also take the longest to build. He will be fine, as he continues to bring in more talent.

He is just now (classes 2018 and 2019) getting his type of recruits that he has been wanting to get, and they are young, so a 6-6 or 7-5 is very possible next year. People seem to forget that we are still digging out of the Hazell era. It might be different in a couple of years, if that is still the case, but I don’t believe it will be. I think we can win the West in 2020. I think it is possible this year if everything goes our way.

Last edited:

Your crystal ball is at best, as foggy as any one else's. No one really knows how this contract will pan out. Purdue is using the information they have available right now to make a seemingly very solid decision. Also, after five years he will no longer be the highest paid coach in the west unless there is a new contract before. He may be a HUGE bargain by then.

Actually less than most people thought. I guess this shows the Louisville offer wasn’t as much as their fans led us to believe.

Money well spent IMO.

The UL fans were only doing that to make themselves feel better about being spurned.

Not just UL fans, but IU fans, too.

They just can't wrap their heads around someone (Brohm) seeing all the positives going on at Purdue, and wanting to be a part of it.

And I'm LOVING it!

That's for Purdue leadership to address.

On April 12, 2019, it's great news, and will continue to be horrible news for those that don't want to see Purdue succeed.

I doubt that anyone knows the real value he brings to Purdue. There are increased ticket sales, increased merchandise sales, increased alumni contributions, etc. A successful football program assists a successful basketball program, and vice versa. There is an increase in recognition of Purdue University in a positive manner. who knows the future benefits of this. I had become very disillusioned with Purdue, now I'm actively concerned because of this one man, and this is over 50 years after I graduated. I may not bequeath any money to Purdue, but others might.

As long as there is incremental improvement, our butts will be in the stands. Don’t need a microwaved Rose Bowl. If we were lucky and it happened, that would be icing on the cake.
I believe we are smart enough to remember so Crappy Horrific Haze Days. Still have to knock off Wiscy and they’ll put up a good fight with their offense and #1 RB in the nation with some serious Beef to block for him.

Fair responses. No ill will intended. Just stressing the point where things now get serious quickly. That’s not fringe bowl territory money. Leadership is all in and I can respect that. I think his work is cut out for him and at the moment I think Purdue grossly overpaid. Time will tell but this year will be tough when Fleck finishes better at half the price.

Fair responses. No ill will intended. Just stressing the point where things now get serious quickly. That’s not fringe bowl territory money. Leadership is all in and I can respect that. I think his work is cut out for him and at the moment I think Purdue grossly overpaid. Time will tell but this year will be tough when Fleck finishes better at half the price.

Oh, good gawwwwd.

The Boat Rower?

I will admit I was going with you as a possible disgruntled Purdue fan til that last sentence about Fleck. Absolutely NO Purdue fan would have sent that sentence out onto the internet. No problem- it is allowed- this is after all a free board. Just out of curiosity, what school are you a fan of? Curious minds want to know.

I’d rather grossly overpay and not have expectations reached than to let other schools poach coaches that have shown promise and have us never try to move the program forward.

There’s a reason a$$holes from other canvases have come over to talk about this...because they think of us as a threat and are worried. At the end of the day, we can afford the $5mil, it’s not my personal money so why do I really care?

I can’t name a guy better than Brohm willing to come to Purdue and coach for $5Mil or less...so again...who is it a bad move? Waiting for results to pay a guy...somebody is going to pay him first and snatch him out from under us. This would have already happened had we not have promised him this contract

I will admit I was going with you as a possible disgruntled Purdue fan til that last sentence about Fleck. Absolutely NO Purdue fan would have sent that sentence out onto the internet. No problem- it is allowed- this is after all a free board. Just out of curiosity, what school are you a fan of? Curious minds want to know.

I’m a Boat Rower and cautiously giddy about this upcoming season with something like 90% of our 2 deeps back. To be clear, had a good buddy go to Purdue as a student athlete and visited circa 2000. Really enjoyed my trip. I’d rather see Purdue do better than about 3-4 other teams in the West. Just like our guy and where our program is better at the moment.

I'd rather pay Brohm 8 million to be coach of Purdue than fleck 2 million to be coach of Purdue. Also, Brohm is better.

I'd rather pay Brohm 8 million to be coach of Purdue than fleck 2 million to be coach of Purdue. Also, Brohm is better.

That’s great. Just remember it’s much easier to come out of the toilet than it is to reach big boy level. He has his work cut out for him. You’re now paying (admin) for big boy level like it or not. Expectations will adjust sooner than later. Let’s see how he does when key positions turn over. Fleck has one of the best WR and RB units in the B1G coming back including 3 of his best players who sat out last season. Those are just the facts.

Last edited:
Obviously the trolls come out with the new contract. The fact remains that Purdue football was unwatchable under Hazel and Brohm has brought the excitement back. The school down south constantly talked about how Brohm would use Purdue as a stepping stone. Well, he has turned down at least 2 offers from other schools in as many years, and I don’t see other schools targeting Fleck or Allen. There is a reason for that no matter how much noise they make.

That’s great. Just remember it’s much easier to come out of the toilet than it is to reach big boy level. He has his work cut out for him. You’re now paying (admin) for big boy level like it or not. Expectations will adjust sooner than later. Let’s see how he does when key positions turn over. Fleck has one of the best WR and RB units in the B1G coming back including 3 of his best players who sat out last season. Those are just the facts.
PJ is that you? Thanks for visiting and take care with all that bad weather there in the twin cities. Oh and someday maybe you can earn a contract like Brohm’s. Stranger things have happened.

I’d rather grossly overpay and not have expectations reached than to let other schools poach coaches that have shown promise and have us never try to move the program forward.

There’s a reason a$$holes from other canvases have come over to talk about this...because they think of us as a threat and are worried. At the end of the day, we can afford the $5mil, it’s not my personal money so why do I really care?

I can’t name a guy better than Brohm willing to come to Purdue and coach for $5Mil or less...so again...who is it a bad move? Waiting for results to pay a guy...somebody is going to pay him first and snatch him out from under us. This would have already happened had we not have promised him this contract
Woot woot!

Nailed it, brother!

I’m a Boat Rower and cautiously giddy about this upcoming season with something like 90% of our 2 deeps back. To be clear, had a good buddy go to Purdue as a student athlete and visited circa 2000. Really enjoyed my trip. I’d rather see Purdue do better than about 3-4 other teams in the West. Just like our guy and where our program is better at the moment.

I like your "cautiously giddy". That would serve as a great descriptor of the vast majority of all serious Purdue fans as to the current state of our program, I am fairly certain. Perhaps somewhat more giddy than cautious but then that is what being a fan is all about, n'est pa?

Now, with the compliment out of the way, I have a serious question for you. I am in no way trying to be obnoxious or derogatory. You appear to be fairly grounded for an "opposing" fan- a good representative of your school. But you openly refer to yourself as a Boat Rower so I will feel free to inquire about that. When Brohm was hired the other serious front runner (in fan's minds, in terms of discussion on this board) was your own much loved Mr Fleck. He has taken that boat rowing thing with him to U of M. A lot of the "opposition" to him on this board at that time was that very scenario, with an almost universal feeling that we would not want that at Purdue- not what he is representing with that analogy but rather just the way he is loudly hammering away at it all the time. As in, methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Was there no trepidation with that at first? Is it widely accepted, nay even embraced within the community of Gopher fans? Is there a fringe group that has reservations about it or does everyone seem to accept it at least?

Please believe there is no underhanded insult here. I am just genuinely curious how this has been viewed up in the land of the midnight sun and we get so few fans from your neck of the woods down here to ask. One additional point- we would put our wide receiver group up against anyone in the country right now, counting incoming (and yes, admittedly unproven) freshman. So don't come here crowing about your hot WR group, we don't want to hear that!! (tic)

Hi Full,
I don’t think anyone would disagree that Minny was better than Purdue last season but I disagree in part with your statement “Just remember it’s much easier to come out of the toilet than it is to reach big boy level.“
It is easier for Nader normal circumstances but Purdue’s circumstances were SO BAD. The teams leading up to Brohm were not even competitive with mid majors much less the bottom of the BIG.
Purdue has become capable of beating the very best, albeit inconsistent, and coach has done it instantaneously. The fact that he has done it with the same kids who were losing almost every game they played prior to his arrival is the key. Granted further leaps up the ladder are not guaranteed but the leap in recruiting bodes well. Not paying Brohm does nothing to elevate the program and increases the risk of losing the coach. He is now building not only skill positions but indications of strong recruiting in the trenches. That is the hardest piece of the puzzle to solve. We will know in the next two years if the contract is a good value. Just as you will know about if Fleck can get there sooner given his talent level head start.

Obviously the trolls come out with the new contract. The fact remains that Purdue football was unwatchable under Hazel and Brohm has brought the excitement back. The school down south constantly talked about how Brohm would use Purdue as a stepping stone. Well, he has turned down at least 2 offers from other schools in as many years, and I don’t see other schools targeting Fleck or Allen. There is a reason for that no matter how much noise they make.

Well Allen has new marketing graphics for the stadium. Its nonsense going after him right now.

For what?
For bringing excitement back to Purdue Football.
For increased ticket sales.
For increased revenues from alumni
For national recognition program buzz
For getting guys like Rondale and George to buy in and come to Purdue.
For winning 9 big ten games in 2 years as opposed to 10 total in the last 6 years.
For putting Purdues name on the lists of players who would have probably never even given them thought.
For putting our recruiting back in the top 25
For not putting the program back at square one because the AD recognizes the value that this coach has and that others schools will gladly take him off our hands.
Those are just a few reasons why. CJB has become a known commodity you have to pay for that, and the athletic department can afford it.. Is there a chance this won't work out, of course but I'd say the decision is an educated one and our AD understands the market better than most.

For winning 9 big ten games in 2 years as opposed to 10 total in the last 6 years.
For putting Purdues name on the lists of players who would have probably never even given them thought.
For not putting the program back at square one because the AD recognizes the value that this coach has and that others schools will gladly take him off our hands.
Those are just a few reasons why. CJB has become a known commodity you have to pay for that, and the athletic department can afford it.. Is there a chance this won't work out, of course but I'd say the decision is an educated one and our AD understands the market better than most.
Three cheers. I'll second all of that.

Twin degrees does not follow Purdue football very closely. So he has no idea how bad of shape morgue and The Haze left the program in. So he therefore has no idea how great a job CJB has done in two years.

Reactions: pboiler18
A curious question. I believe the entire board would agree with how bad of a coach Hazell was. And the entire board would agree with how much better of a coach Brohm is over Hazell.

I have two questions. How many other BIG 10 coaches is Brohm better than? Is he better than UW's coach? Or Iowa? Or MSU? Or Mich? Or OSU? Minn? NW? If not is he deserving of being paid more?

Second question. If Purdue didn't hire Brohm, but hired somebody else. What do you expect his record would be? Would he have been able to go 6-6? Surely he would have been an improvement over Hazell. Is it possible a different coach could have guided Purdue to two 6-6 seasons?

He doesn't necessarily have to be a better coach than all the others, he only has to be a better coach for Purdue's situation when it was totally bleak, and now, moving forward. $$'s, that's for others to decide and they have now spoken.

I can't answer whether or not someone else may have gone 6-6. Seems like the odds were against it even if Nick Saban would have taken over the roster.

He doesn't necessarily have to be a better coach than all the others, he only has to be a better coach for Purdue's situation when it was totally bleak, and now, moving forward. $$'s, that's for others to decide and they have now spoken.

I can't answer whether or not someone else may have gone 6-6. Seems like the odds were against it even if Nick Saban would have taken over the roster.

As soon as we added beer at Ross-Ade, I knew Brohm was getting a raise. Man’s wicked smart.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT