ADVERTISEMENT

Bubble Drama

BoilerPride08

Senior
May 18, 2006
Not a good day for Bubble teams. Portland upset Gonzaga in the WCC final. USF lost in the AAC quarterfinals.

Right now Creme has 2 Ivy Leagues getting in with Columbia and Princeton. Has us playing 11 seed Princeton in play in game. I don’t get it. We have road wins against Ohio State, Illinois, neutral site win against Oklahoma State, W against bubble team Syracuse, W against MVC champ Illinois State. Road win against very competitive Michigan State. 6 of our 10 losses came against top 20 teams.

Princeton - lost to Harvard by 8 - a team we beat by 22 - their best OOC win was against 18-14 Seton Hall. Their best overall win was vs. Columbia.

How are these two resumes even remotely similar?

Purdue is 3-7 versus teams in the field, but one of those wins is heavily discounted as OSU was without 2 starters and went 2-5 in the stretch in which we beat them before coming back at full strength and beating Michigan and IU.

Purdue is 6-5 in road games, with two really bad losses to PSU and UMinn. Additionally we have a home loss to Nebraska that makes it hard to put us in ahead of them. If we had swapped conference schedules with Nebraska, they would be on the edge of being in and we would be out of consideration, that may hurt us and keep both teams out.

Our OOC, much debated here is a factor. Someone stated is was below 100 in strength but did not provide a link. I don't think it was that bad, but it is hurting us as we only had the one make up road game against A&M.

We finished the season poorly. Bad loss to UMinn, ugly win against UWisc in a game the committee members were probably watching to see if we deserved in, and blown out at IU. Total we were 6-4 our last 10 games.

We have a 49 NET rating, luckily some of the teams ahead of us won't get in, MSU and Nebraska being two of them, but I don't know that it will be enough to get us in, especially with the upsets you cite in your post.

So, we sweat it out..... anyone saying we are safely in is speaking from the heart, not the brain. Frankly in or out, we have little to complain about, this team had a bid in its pocket going to Minnesota and lost it. Then played like they didn't care against UWisc for the first half with all eyes on them.......

Princeton is 21-5 with no bad losses, and played Villanova, Texas, and UConn OOC losing all three, but showing moxy by scheduling them. Their only losses in IVY are at Harvard (borderline bad loss) and home to Columbia. They have a NET rating of 40 (higher than Illinois and OkSU) and should be higher seeded than Creme is giving them credit for IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgarlitz
Purdue is 3-7 versus teams in the field, but one of those wins is heavily discounted as OSU was without 2 starters and went 2-5 in the stretch in which we beat them before coming back at full strength and beating Michigan and IU.

Purdue is 6-5 in road games, with two really bad losses to PSU and UMinn. Additionally we have a home loss to Nebraska that makes it hard to put us in ahead of them. If we had swapped conference schedules with Nebraska, they would be on the edge of being in and we would be out of consideration, that may hurt us and keep both teams out.

Our OOC, much debated here is a factor. Someone stated is was below 100 in strength but did not provide a link. I don't think it was that bad, but it is hurting us as we only had the one make up road game against A&M.

We finished the season poorly. Bad loss to UMinn, ugly win against UWisc in a game the committee members were probably watching to see if we deserved in, and blown out at IU. Total we were 6-4 our last 10 games.

We have a 49 NET rating, luckily some of the teams ahead of us won't get in, MSU and Nebraska being two of them, but I don't know that it will be enough to get us in, especially with the upsets you cite in your post.

So, we sweat it out..... anyone saying we are safely in is speaking from the heart, not the brain. Frankly in or out, we have little to complain about, this team had a bid in its pocket going to Minnesota and lost it. Then played like they didn't care against UWisc for the first half with all eyes on them.......

Princeton is 21-5 with no bad losses, and played Villanova, Texas, and UConn OOC losing all three, but showing moxy by scheduling them. Their only losses in IVY are at Harvard (borderline bad loss) and home to Columbia. They have a NET rating of 40 (higher than Illinois and OkSU) and should be higher seeded than Creme is giving them credit for IMO.
Ah so you’re giving a team credit for losing all three NCAA tournament teams they played - yet Purdue lost to Maryland by 3, Iowa by 11, Florida St by 1. “Moxy” - Purdue didn’t have to schedule top 25 teams pre season. We played 6 games against top 10-15 teams in conference play.

If Princeton played our schedule they’d barely be .500

Reactions: purduedavie
Ah so you’re giving a team credit for losing all three NCAA tournament teams they played - yet Purdue lost to Maryland by 3, Iowa by 11, Florida St by 1. “Moxy” - Purdue didn’t have to schedule top 25 teams pre season. We played 6 games against top 10-15 teams in conference play.

No one said our SOS was below 100 except for the voice in your head. Our SOS is in the 50s.

Princeton’s is in the 80s

For a school from a small conference, Princeton stepped up and scheduled some quality OOC teams, it matters. Read the criteria for selection the NCAA puts out. Creme also way discounts NET #19 Oregon because of their 17-14 schedule. But they had a ton of injuries, just got healthy at the end of the year and won 3 of their last 4 including a win over ranked Arizona.

4040PrincetonIvy League21-510-30-011-20-0
4142IllinoisBig Ten22-98-42-212-30-0
4243MarquetteBig East21-105-53-213-30-0
4344NebraskaBig Ten16-144-82-110-50-0
4445ColumbiaIvy League23-413-21-09-20-0
4541GonzagaWCC28-410-23-215-00-0
4646Michigan St.Big Ten16-144-51-311-60-0
4747Oklahoma St.Big 1220-104-62-114-30-0
4848ArkansasSEC21-126-54-311-40-0
4949PurdueBig Ten19-106-43-210-40-0
5050Miami (FL)ACC19-124-71-114-40-0
5151UNLVMountain West29-210-20-019-01-0
5252VirginiaACC15-154-90-111-50-0
5353DrakeMVC19-96-61-112-20-0
5454Oregon St.Pac-1213-181-82-410-60-0
5555St. John's (NY)Big East22-86-42-114-30-0
5656MissouriSEC17-135-52-210-60-0
5757SyracuseACC18-124-80-114-30-0
5858ClemsonACC17-154-72-311-50-0

No one said our SOS was below 100 except for the voice in your head. Our SOS is in the 50s.

Princeton’s is in the 80s
No, someone did, I asked for a link, and now going back they have pulled the initial comment and my reply.

RPI has us at 51 with a SoS of 57. Luckily RPI is no longer used by NCAA or we'd be out in the cold.

Still think Purdue will be in, however, the women’s game will likely see UCONN in its 16th straight final 4, SC likely winning another title, hoping Iowa or even IU gets in, otherwise there’s no interest. Unlike the men’s game this tourney is usually chalk city that will likely have SC and UCONN slotted opposite each other with hopes of that being the final game, sorry, no interest in that at all. I’ll watch Purdue if they make it, IU because they’re local and fun to watch and Iowa because of Clark, after that no interest.

Still think Purdue will be in, however, the women’s game will likely see UCONN in its 16th straight final 4, SC likely winning another title, hoping Iowa or even IU gets in, otherwise there’s no interest. Unlike the men’s game this tourney is usually chalk city that will likely have SC and UCONN slotted opposite each other with hopes of that being the final game, sorry, no interest in that at all. I’ll watch Purdue if they make it, IU because they’re local and fun to watch and Iowa because of Clark, after that no interest.
And not to beat you up, but that is typical of the casualness of WBB fans and why the sport is stagnant in support. I very much doubt IU or Iowa play in the FF, and I would be surprised if more than 4 BT teams make the sweet 16. UConn is probably the second highest #1 and Standford the third. IU or LSU will round out the #1 seeds. Either way that puts IU against LSU in the elite 8 and I think LSU has the advantage with Mulkey on their bench.

And not to beat you up, but that is typical of the casualness of WBB fans and why the sport is stagnant in support. I very much doubt IU or Iowa play in the FF, and I would be surprised if more than 4 BT teams make the sweet 16. UConn is probably the second highest #1 and Standford the third. IU or LSU will round out the #1 seeds. Either way that puts IU against LSU in the elite 8 and I think LSU has the advantage with Mulkey on their bench.
Good post and points, that’s why my interest is low, it sucks seeing the same stuff every year, at least Tenn isn’t the power they used to be.

Big win for Purdue - Oklahoma State knocks out WVU in the B12 quarters - we have a W vs OSU and that probably eliminates WVU from contention.

Big win for Purdue - Oklahoma State knocks out WVU in the B12 quarters - we have a W vs OSU and that probably eliminates WVU from contention.
WVU was only in contention in Creme's dreams.... NET of 61 before today (63 or lower now) 19-10 record, 3-7 in road games, 76 ranked SoS, all meant they had to win the B12 tournament to get to the dance, they were not in contention for an at large bid no matter how much Creme wants to pander to the big conferences.

I think the big win for Purdue came last night when TCU beat Kansas. Forgot makalo ended up at TCU after transferring. The WarenNolan site shows Kansas has very similar numbers to Purdue but a higher net.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Columbia lost to Harvard in the semis - no way 2 Ivy teams get in.

Harvard is the team Purdue beat by 22.

Last edited:
University X beat University Y on Y's home floor, Is 6 places higher in NET ranking, beat one of the opponents Y was beaten by with a margin of 29, another that they both lost to, Y lost by 8 and X only lost by 3 and one team Y beat by 10 X beat by 33 in an away game. Does that mean University X deserves a bid over University Y? Transitive properties mean exactly squat, and be glad they do or Purdue would not have a prayer for a bid.

I read an article 2-3 years ago concerning Women's Basketball (both college and pro). It was putting in their perspective to why there isn't more fan/viewer support.

They pointed at first to 4 tiers of the women college game-1. dominant teams (4-5 teams at the most each year), 2. really good, but still need an A+ game to beat the dominant teams, but can still be beaten by the next lower tier teams on an odd night 3. the bulk of teams that are okay in a sense and have competitive games in their own tier 4. teams that are there just to satisfy the women sports equality agendas or have no support from the University or area. The point was that the dominant teams make the sport boring to many, other than their own specific fanbase. I think this is a given as I feel that way.

The other thing they pointed out was that Women's basketball (both college and pro) does okay in attracting men fans, but not women fans. The bulk of women fans that they have were there from the beginning, but they have trouble getting over the hump with new women fans. They felt women would watch a men's game before a women's game, or if a married couple went to a game, it would be a men's game.

They also said the sports leads were doing somethings to make it more attractive like going to 4 quarters and having more game times where they didn't compete one-on-one with the men. Also having smaller venues where it is more fan-filled than big arenas. I think this works for women's volleyball, especially at Purdue.

That said, they also pointed out that there is some creeping up, but very slowly. They wondered if the women's game should occur at a different season then the men's game. I think the WNBA does this some. Could it do better doing football season? I'm not sure since there is already overlap.

I read an article 2-3 years ago concerning Women's Basketball (both college and pro). It was putting in their perspective to why there isn't more fan/viewer support.

They pointed at first to 4 tiers of the women college game-1. dominant teams (4-5 teams at the most each year), 2. really good, but still need an A+ game to beat the dominant teams, but can still be beaten by the next lower tier teams on an odd night 3. the bulk of teams that are okay in a sense and have competitive games in their own tier 4. teams that are there just to satisfy the women sports equality agendas or have no support from the University or area. The point was that the dominant teams make the sport boring to many, other than their own specific fanbase. I think this is a given as I feel that way.

The other thing they pointed out was that Women's basketball (both college and pro) does okay in attracting men fans, but not women fans. The bulk of women fans that they have were there from the beginning, but they have trouble getting over the hump with new women fans. They felt women would watch a men's game before a women's game, or if a married couple went to a game, it would be a men's game.

They also said the sports leads were doing somethings to make it more attractive like going to 4 quarters and having more game times where they didn't compete one-on-one with the men. Also having smaller venues where it is more fan-filled than big arenas. I think this works for women's volleyball, especially at Purdue.

That said, they also pointed out that there is some creeping up, but very slowly. They wondered if the women's game should occur at a different season then the men's game. I think the WNBA does this some. Could it do better doing football season? I'm not sure since there is already overlap.
WNBA plays in June so they're players can play overseas during bball season and earn much bigger money. They still cannot attract a fan base and half the WNBA teams that have won the title don't exist anymore.

Good post, let’s be honest, the National Champ will likely be South Carolina, UCONN, Stanford, with IU and Iowa in the mix as well. The men’s game has 10-12 teams in the mix, that makes a huge difference for me. Also, the first two rounds on the favorites Home courts where we see 30-40 point blowouts sucks, we’ll see scores like 80-35, no fun watching that at all. Give me a 10-11 seed anyday of the week over a 8/9 where you have 0 chance of beating a 1 on their home court, often the 2’s and 3 seeds are a huge step behind the 1’s.

I am shocked, W. Virginia made it in as a 10. Obviously NET was not used by this committee hardly at all.

Also Illinois is in one of the 11 play off games, that bodes poorly for us.

They're in and that's all that matters. I'm excited to see what they can do. Maybe they can pull off an upset or two!
If we beat St Johns its UNC then OSU, and OSU is back to full strength and I am sure they would love to show us what they can do when they have everyone available.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
We played OSU without 1 of their best players (Sheldon) who is now back coming off the bench for them. Had a whopping 1 pt in their blow out loss to Iowa. The rest of OSU’s regular lineup was intact.

Looking at Purdue’s resume and St John’s resume its a joke that the committee sees it as identical. SJU played an awful OOC schedule. I mean really bad. Monmouth, St Francis BK, Temple, Stony Brook, Memphis, UTSA, Bethune, Wagner. Their OOC highlight is a home game against the MAAC champ Iona. Had Purdue played that OOC - Micheals head would literally explode. Purdue’s OOC blows theirs out of the water. So obviously the committee picks and chooses which elements of a resume they want to focus on.

It’s pretty obvious teams like Marquette and St Johns took advantage of a severely depleted and run down UCONN team to secure their premier wins that allowed them to coast into the tournament. The committee looked at those wins against the vaunted huskies and that’s apparently all they needed - no matter how bad/mediocre the rest of their body of work is. The fact Illinois is a play-in 11 seed and Marquette is a 9 seed is a joke. The NCAA is clearly trying to boost up the Big East to try and make them relevant but it’s still pretty telling that UConn, who was playing with like 6 healthy players and without 3 starters all year still ended up winning the league pretty easily.

If we beat St Johns its UNC then OSU, and OSU is back to full strength and I am sure they would love to show us what they can do when they have everyone available.
I expect laughter fun you Russ.... You still don't realize we ARE still running Versys offense... ROFL

• Haha
We played OSU without 1 of their best players (Sheldon) who is now back coming off the bench for them. Had a whopping 1 pt in their blow out loss to Iowa. The rest of OSU’s regular lineup was intact.

Looking at Purdue’s resume and St John’s resume its a joke that the committee sees it as identical. SJU played an awful OOC schedule. I mean really bad. Monmouth, St Francis BK, Temple, Stony Brook, Memphis, UTSA, Bethune, Wagner. Their OOC highlight is a home game against the MAAC champ Iona. Had Purdue played that OOC - Micheals head would literally explode. Purdue’s OOC blows theirs out of the water. So obviously the committee picks and chooses which elements of a resume they want to focus on.

It’s pretty obvious teams like Marquette and St Johns took advantage of a severely depleted and run down UCONN team to secure their premier wins that allowed them to coast into the tournament. The committee looked at those wins against the vaunted huskies and that’s apparently all they needed - no matter how bad/mediocre the rest of their body of work is. The fact Illinois is a play-in 11 seed and Marquette is a 9 seed is a joke. The NCAA is clearly trying to boost up the Big East to try and make them relevant but it’s still pretty telling that UConn, who was playing with like 6 healthy players and without 3 starters all year still ended up winning the league pretty easily.
You know they did a horrible job when Pride and I mostly agree. 😄

Looking at Purdue’s resume and St John’s resume its a joke that the committee sees it as identical.
The seeding is certainly insulting but the situation is pretty good. The SJU matchup gives us a chance for a win, and if we make it past the play-in game, we've beaten better teams than UNC during our conference schedule.

This team isn't Final Four bound, but making the tourney and getting one or two wins will secure a legacy for this group as starting our journey back to the top.

Like Matt Painter said the other day "We got what we came for."

Told everyone Purdue was a lock to get in lol. In all seriousness it’s better to get a 11 seed than a 8 or 9, no way Purdue would have a prayer against a 1 seed, in this scenario maybe they win a few games before playing Ohio State? Anyway, one at a time, hopefully, they can beat St John!

I expect laughter fun you Russ.... You still don't realize we ARE still running Versys offense... ROFL
Just when I thought your darkness retreat when the team was winning did you some good and you started making sense. You go and say moronic stuff like this.

It isn't. If you watch and actually have an understanding of the game... which is clear you do not despite trying to pass yourself off as an expert... You could easily see CKG is running. A totally different offense and defense. When did CSV set bigs up for threes when did CSV have the team push in transition. Never

Quit with this slanderus bs. The program is heading in the right direction. Unless you thought we forgot your prediction of just 10 wins.

Just when I thought your darkness retreat when the team was winning did you some good and you started making sense. You go and say moronic stuff like this.

It isn't. If you watch and actually have an understanding of the game... which is clear you do not despite trying to pass yourself off as an expert... You could easily see CKG is running. A totally different offense and defense. When did CSV set bigs up for threes when did CSV have the team push in transition. Never

Quit with this slanderus bs. The program is heading in the right direction. Unless you thought we forgot your prediction of just 10 wins.
ROFL. I guess you know better than Katie Gearlds who said she hasn't changed the offense yet, as she was focusing on the defense.... Some of you are so pitifully uniformed and yet determined to display your ignorance for all to see🤣🤣🤣

CKG is running it at a higher tempo and has made some minor tweaks in somee of the plays, but like it or not, according to CKG, she is still running Versyp's offense🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thank you for putting not only your insurance but your inability to discuss things civilly on display so everyone knows how hopeless you are.

Yup, I was wrong on the win total last year, Ellis and Terry were far better than I was expecting. I got it pretty close this year though, although I thought they would just miss the NCAAs, didn't expect the mid-season OSU collapse.

Here's another tidbit you are likely going to deny in your ignorance, KG only has them practice offense 20-30 minutes per practice as in her exact words "The offense will always be there" from an interview she did back in January.

Last edited:
ROFL. I guess you know better than Katie Gearlds who said she hasn't changed the offense yet, as she was focusing on the defense.... Some of you are so pitifully uniformed and yet determined to display your ignorance for all to see🤣🤣🤣

CKG is running it at a higher tempo and has made some minor tweaks in somee of the plays, but like it or not, according to CKG, she is still running Versyp's offense🤣🤣🤣🤣. Thank you for putting not only your insurance but your inability to discuss things civilly on display so everyone knows how hopeless you are.

Yup, I was wrong on the win total last year, Ellis and Terry were far better than I was expecting. I got it pretty close this year though, although I thought they would just miss the NCAAs, didn't expect the mid-season OSU collapse.

Here's another tidbit you are likely going to deny in your ignorance, KG only has them practice offense 20-30 minutes per practice as in her exact words "The offense will always be there" from an interview she did back in January.

Please explain to me what midseason “collapse” Ohio State went through? Sure they were 19-0 and rose to #2 in the rankings after a very strong start to conference play - but then dropped back to back games to Iowa and IU - that’s not considered a “collapse”. The fact Purdue was able to go into OSU with their talent and pick up a road win will always be considered a great win. No matter how you try to frame it. Sure you can say they might have been tired playing their 3rd game in seven days but it wasn’t a “collapse”. If anyone had a midseason collapse it was UCONN, losing to 2 games to super mediocre teams in Marquette and SJU - mainly do to being exhausted from their lack of depth. OSU lost to two great teams in a 4 day stretch and then Purdue capitalized on the road.

OSU closed the season with a murderous slate of games - 2 games vs MD, 2 game vs Michigan, 3 games vs IU and 2 games vs Iowa.

NINE games vs top 15-18 opponents.

Last edited:
Please explain to me what midseason “collapse” Ohio State went through? Sure they were 19-0 and rose to #2 in the rankings after a very strong start to conference play - but then dropped back to back games to Iowa and IU - that’s not considered a “collapse”. The fact Purdue was able to go into OSU with their talent and pick up a road win will always be considered a great win. No matter how you try to frame it. Sure you can say they might have been tired playing their 3rd game in seven days but it wasn’t a “collapse”. If anyone had a midseason collapse it was UCONN, losing to 2 games to super mediocre teams in Marquette and SJU - mainly do to being exhausted from their lack of depth. OSU lost to two great teams in a 4 day stretch and then Purdue capitalized on the road.

OSU closed the season with a murderous slate of games - 2 games vs MD, 2 game vs Michigan, 3 games vs IU and 2 games vs Iowa.

NINE games vs top 15-18 opponents.
OSU lost 5 of 7 games barely beating PSU and UMinn in that stretch.... Wouldn't you call that a mid-season collapse?

OSU lost 5 of 7 games barely beating PSU and UMinn in that stretch.... Wouldn't you call that a mid-season collapse?

Again - ignorance on full display - they beat Wisconsin by 23, Minnesota by 30, and penn state by 12. Playing 2 of 3 on road. You say things as if they can’t easily be disproven. And the teams they did lose to were top ranked teams nationally. This is an unfair/unbalanced schedule. It’s not a “collapse”

Again - ignorance on full display - they beat Wisconsin by 23, Minnesota by 30, and penn state by 12. Playing 2 of 3 on road. You say things as if they can’t easily be disproven. And the teams they did lose to were top ranked teams nationally. This is an unfair/unbalanced schedule. It’s not a “collapse”

They beat Michigan 3 times!! They are a 3 seed for a reason. Teams don’t collapse mid season and get a 3 seed

You are right it was UWisc, I messed up which bottom feeder it was. Of the 5 games they lost in that stretch, ours was the only one not by double digits. I also was wrong about the two wins being close, such is memory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT