ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Newman OV

Do we have schollies enough for Newman, Hall, and Franklin?
We know we will have 4 open scholarships. Two of those are IT and Gillis. If Carsen were to go pro, then yes we could take all 3 of the guys you mentioned.

With that being said, it has been reported that Franklin and Newman will not be attending the same college.

Watch for an Armaan Franklin commit before the 30th. If he really wants to be here he will take no chances. I'd be happy with either committing.

Reactions: KisteK
We know we will have 4 open scholarships. Two of those are IT and Gillis. If Carsen were to go pro, then yes we could take all 3 of the guys you mentioned.

With that being said, it has been reported that Franklin and Newman will not be attending the same college.
I think they’d both come to Purdue honestly. The more 6’3 to 6’7 guys who can ball handle on the team, the better. Painter will find minutes for those guys.

Where was it reported they don't want to play together? Just curious since they played AAU all summer on the same team.

It would be nice to add them both.

I think they’d both come to Purdue honestly. The more 6’3 to 6’7 guys who can ball handle on the team, the better. Painter will find minutes for those guys.
Also, I bet painter has them visiting together for a reason. To play together.
Where was it reported they don't want to play together? Just curious since they played AAU all summer on the same team.

It would be nice to add them both.
Brian Snow (247 national analyst) reported it early this week.

Brian Snow (247 national analyst) reported it early this week.

Interesting, if true I wonder if it is a race to commit if both are high on Purdue and that's the reason Newman scheduled this visit so quickly. Hopefully it still would work out for both though.

Interesting, if true I wonder if it is a race to commit if both are high on Purdue and that's the reason Newman scheduled this visit so quickly. Hopefully it still would work out for both though.
It has been looking like Franklin is closer to making his decision than Newman. Maybe that has changed? However, I expect Franklin to commit first, and I expect it to be to Purdue.

Do we have schollies enough for Newman, Hall, and Franklin?

'18-'19 Scholarships:

1. Ryan Cline (Sr.)
2. Grady Eifert (Sr.) (likely to get scholly)
3. Evan Boudreaux (RS Jr.)
4. Carsen Edwards (Jr.)
5. Matt Haarms (RS So.)
6. Nojel Eastern (So.)
7. Aaron Wheeler (RS Fr.)
8. Sasha Stefanovic (RS Fr.)
9. Eric Hunter (Fr.)
10. Trevion Williams (Fr.)
11. Emmanuel Dowuona (Fr.)
12. vacant
13. vacant

'19-'20 Scholarships:

1. Boudreaux (RS Sr.)
2. Edwards (Sr.)
3. Haarms (RS Jr.)
4. Eastern (Jr.)
5. Wheeler (RS So.)
6. Stefanovic (RS So.)
7. Hunter (So.)
8. Williams (So.)
9. Dowuona (So.)
10. Thompson (Fr.)
11. Gillis (Fr.)
12. vacant
13. vacant

If Gillis' injuries are career-ending, it could open up a spot for either Hall, Newman, or Franklin.

He’s commented on the same topic several times
When you said you trust him over Snow, I assumed you meant he commented directly about Snow's report. I texted a friend who is a prem member, and he said Brian didnt comment on it. He said the only thing he said in the thread was that he wont be texting a kid every day in order to get on the recruit's blast list.

My friend also said he expects Brian will address it directly in Wednesday's chat.

When you said you trust him over Snow, I assumed you meant he commented directly about Snow's report. I texted a friend who is a prem member, and he said Brian didnt comment on it. He said the only thing he said in the thread was that he wont be texting a kid every day in order to get on the recruit's blast list.

My friend also said he expects Brian will address it directly in Wednesday's chat.
He didn’t directly address Snow’s report because he didn’t have to. Neubert addressed Franklin and Newman playing for the same school several times before Snow even thought about the topic. I trust him over guys like Snow 100% when talking about Purdue targets from the state of Indiana.

Reactions: Gary Boiler
He didn’t directly address Snow’s report because he didn’t have to. Neubert addressed Franklin and Newman playing for the same school several times before Snow even thought about the topic. I trust him over guys like Snow 100% when talking about Purdue targets from the state of Indiana.
And you are free to have that opinion.

With IT already in the fold, is it a wise management of scholarships to sign both Franklin and Newman who basically would play the same position at Purdue? Admittedly, they are both great players, and Painter would find time for them, but they are reminding me of the year we signed Martin and Hummel. They were both great players as well. I like both players, but I'm unsure I want both players to come to Purdue. I hate to overload at one position.

Reactions: nagemj02
With IT already in the fold, is it a wise management of scholarships to sign both Franklin and Newman who basically would play the same position at Purdue? Admittedly, they are both great players, and Painter would find time for them, but they are reminding me of the year we signed Martin and Hummel. They were both great players as well. I like both players, but I'm unsure I want both players to come to Purdue. I hate to overload at one position.

The previous class had two Centers. Perhaps that factors.

Reactions: Boiler Buck

If Carsen goes pro that leaves guards next year as IT, Hunter, Eastern, Sasha. If Eastern decides to leave it gets even thinner. Also, I think Franklin is more of a 1/2 combo and Newman is a 2/3 on the wing.

If you look at depth you pontentially have:
1- Eastern (?), IT, Franklin (?)
2 - Carsen (?), Hunter, Sasha
3- Wheeler, Newman (?)
4 - EB, Gillis, Hall (?)
5 - Haarms, Dow, Williams

I know that is 14, but not sure how question marks will work out.

I had thought Williams was projecting out to be a 4 much like Biggie than a 5. This is a problem college coaches face with recruiting and the earlier signing period. The majority of the best recruits sign early with exceptions like Langford. But most colleges knew long before he signed if they were in the running for him. You have to recruit with anticipation of current players either leaving or staying. If they decide to leave, as we saw with Biggie, it's hard to find a quality recruit to replace them at that late stage in the recruiting season. If they decide to stay, then you over recruit and don't have enough scholarships to go around so you tell somebody to commit but not sign until later or you take the first 4 to commit and may miss out on the best talent. I would still like to see a big man 5 added to this class, but it appears there will be no scholarships available.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
I had thought Williams was projecting out to be a 4 much like Biggie than a 5. This is a problem college coaches face with recruiting and the earlier signing period. The majority of the best recruits sign early with exceptions like Langford. But most colleges knew long before he signed if they were in the running for him. You have to recruit with anticipation of current players either leaving or staying. If they decide to leave, as we saw with Biggie, it's hard to find a quality recruit to replace them at that late stage in the recruiting season. If they decide to stay, then you over recruit and don't have enough scholarships to go around so you tell somebody to commit but not sign until later or you take the first 4 to commit and may miss out on the best talent. I would still like to see a big man 5 added to this class, but it appears there will be no scholarships available.
If Trevion came in day 1 and was closer to 275-265 range - he could have been molded into a 4 much quicker. Since he was over 300 it is going to take time.

Now regarding wanting a 5 - I think this is part of Painter evolving his team to fit more of a positionless basketball. You aren’t going to see him go after as many traditional 5s who don’t have a face up game and can’t run the floor.

JMO

You have a solid two fours in Wheeler and Evan along with a plethora of big men. CMP's offense for the 1-3 can easily be fluid for those positions. You can easily have 6-8 players for the 1-3 positions and not hamper much PT. For after the 2020 season, at worst you would have:

Sasha
Hunter
Thompson
Gillis
Franklin
Newman

Reactions: tjreese and Schnelk
If Trevion came in day 1 and was closer to 275-265 range - he could have been molded into a 4 much quicker. Since he was over 300 it is going to take time.

Now regarding wanting a 5 - I think this is part of Painter evolving his team to fit more of a positionless basketball. You aren’t going to see him go after as many traditional 5s who don’t have a face up game and can’t run the floor.

JMO
Tre came in over 300 LBs?

You have a solid two fours in Wheeler and Evan along with a plethora of big men. CMP's offense for the 1-3 can easily be fluid for those positions. You can easily have 6-8 players for the 1-3 positions and not hamper much PT. For after the 2020 season, at worst you would have:

Sasha
Hunter
Thompson
Gillis
Franklin
Newman
I think Purdue is in a tough situation with Gillis right now. If his injury is as severe as some think, would they move on from here and part ways?

Sasha
Hunter
Thompson
Gillis
Franklin
Newman
I think all teams for the last several years are 3 out and 2 under or 4 out and 1 under. In those 3 out you would prefer two to be at least 6'4" ...prefer...Franklin and Newman would work fine with Thompson and Hunter.and there would be minutes. Get Franklin, Newman and Hall and Purdue is sitting pretty. Wonder how Gillis recovers. I "think" Sasha could do limited minutes as a 4 if needed, but a more natural 3 with limited 2. Nojel, if at Purdue may not be there but another year . Tre a
honor their commitment ... it will provide dividends in the future ... and recruit over him ... it's part of the job.
yes...others will use it against Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT