ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Memories - Mason Gillis

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
I think separate threads for each senior would be best. Painter’s 2019 class had Newman, Thompson and Gillis. Gillis RS 2019.

What’s some of your best / most fun memories?

I’m sure everyone will remember his Mackey record (9) 3’s against Penn St. and had 29 total points.

What about shooting 4 straight FT’s to finish out NW this year (Collin’s tech).

I don’t know where the clip is, but I believe it’s Izzo talking about Gillis, how he’s so tough, so good and wants him on his team.

Separately, I remember Painter talking before a game (the previous game Gillis got hurt) and the reporter asked if Gillis would play, Painter’s response was indicative of Mason’s personality, “I’m sure Mason will play, even if he’s hurt” or something to that effect.

Can’t forget Loyers sound bite to Painter (it was a lob pass to Edey) about the defender being “all up in Mason’s …”

Very solid and tough player in every sense. Voted a captain. Has helped bring this team to unprecedented “poll heights” by being a good floor spacing complement to Edey.

Very smooth shot. I wouldn’t be surprised if he plays in the G league or professionally in some capacity. A couple inches taller and who knows where he ends up.

Seems like Mason has had more “phantom” fouls called on him than legit fouls.

Don’t forget he had injuries in HS. I wonder if that had an impact on his career / development.

Last edited:

Purdue Bio:​

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Group Huddle Team

Mason Gillis

Maui Invite Champions

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Phil Knight Legacy Champs

Mason Gillis

Team Huddle

Team Huddle Celebration Group

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Hall of Fame Champions

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

MASON GILLIS
  • Position: Forward
  • Height: 6-6
  • Weight: 225
  • Class: Senior
  • Hometown: New Castle, Ind.
  • High School: New Castle

2023-24
Will become 3rd Purdue player to shoot 180 from all 3 levels. Currently at ~186 (51%, 48%, 87%)

2022-23
• Named to Jon Rothstein’s “All-Glue Guy Team” for the second straight year.

2021-22
• Shot 49.6 percent from the field, 41.4 percent from long distance and 85.0 percent from the free throw line, narrowly missing becoming Purdue's 3rd player to combine to shoot 180 from the three levels (Jaraan Cornell - 1998; Troy Lewis - 1988).

• Named to Jon Rothstein's "All-Glue Guy Team" after giving maximum effort every time he steps on the floor.

• Was 1-of-9 players nationally to shoot at least 48.0 percent from the field, 40.0 percent from 3-point range and 85.0 percent from the free throw line, while averaging at least 6.0 points per game.

HIGH SCHOOL
• A four-star recruit, Gillis was ranked No. 122 in the 247Sports rankings and No. 132 by Rivals.
• Verbally committed to Purdue on June 24, 2018.
• Averaged 21.6 points, 12.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game as a junior, helping New Castle to a Class 3A Regional title. Gillis shot 59.5 percent from the floor and made over 45.0 percent of his 71 3-point attempts.
• Missed his senior season with a knee injury suffered during the summer following his junior campaign. Is back to 100 percent for his freshman season at Purdue.
• Extremely versatile player that will work very well in Purdue’s motion offense. Can play anywhere from the shooting guard to power forward position.
• Was an Indiana Junior All-Star following his junior season.
• Turned down offers from Ohio State, Butler and Xavier.
• Was also one of the state’s top baseball players, Gillis has opted to give up baseball and focus on basketball.

Purdue Bio:​

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Group Huddle Team

Mason Gillis

Maui Invite Champions

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Phil Knight Legacy Champs

Mason Gillis

Team Huddle

Team Huddle Celebration Group

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Hall of Fame Champions

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

Mason Gillis

MASON GILLIS
  • Position: Forward
  • Height: 6-6
  • Weight: 225
  • Class: Senior
  • Hometown: New Castle, Ind.
  • High School: New Castle

2023-24
Will become 3rd Purdue player to shoot 180 from all 3 levels. Currently at ~186 (51%, 48%, 87%)

2022-23
• Named to Jon Rothstein’s “All-Glue Guy Team” for the second straight year.

2021-22
• Shot 49.6 percent from the field, 41.4 percent from long distance and 85.0 percent from the free throw line, narrowly missing becoming Purdue's 3rd player to combine to shoot 180 from the three levels (Jaraan Cornell - 1998; Troy Lewis - 1988).

• Named to Jon Rothstein's "All-Glue Guy Team" after giving maximum effort every time he steps on the floor.

• Was 1-of-9 players nationally to shoot at least 48.0 percent from the field, 40.0 percent from 3-point range and 85.0 percent from the free throw line, while averaging at least 6.0 points per game.

HIGH SCHOOL
• A four-star recruit, Gillis was ranked No. 122 in the 247Sports rankings and No. 132 by Rivals.
• Verbally committed to Purdue on June 24, 2018.
• Averaged 21.6 points, 12.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game as a junior, helping New Castle to a Class 3A Regional title. Gillis shot 59.5 percent from the floor and made over 45.0 percent of his 71 3-point attempts.
• Missed his senior season with a knee injury suffered during the summer following his junior campaign. Is back to 100 percent for his freshman season at Purdue.
• Extremely versatile player that will work very well in Purdue’s motion offense. Can play anywhere from the shooting guard to power forward position.
• Was an Indiana Junior All-Star following his junior season.
• Turned down offers from Ohio State, Butler and Xavier.
• Was also one of the state’s top baseball players, Gillis has opted to give up baseball and focus on basketball.
Right now I remember the way that he helped close out last night’s game with a couple huge threes, a great pass to Zach from the top of the key, and another rebound tip to Zach that might have been the play of the game.

Right now I remember the way that he helped close out last night’s game with a couple huge threes, a great pass to Zach from the top of the key, and another rebound tip to Zach that might have been the play of the game.

Quintessential Mason Gillis play...... he has brought the lunch pail to the job doing all of the "little" things and the "dirty work" for four years......a guy who started a large part of the games for his first three years and willingly accepted his role off the bench. Guys like him that lay it all on the line, literally, can put a team over the top in these days where the margins are very slim at the end of the year.

Gonna real miss The Masonator. Wish him the very best when his time is done at Purdue - on and off the court.

Oh by the way, he currently holds the Mackey Arena record for 3-pt FG's in a game with nine.

8hv1xz.gif

Last edited:
I always admire people that speak softly and carry a big stick.
Never a tantrum, always a class act.
We'll miss his strength next year.
Maybe, one never knows, maybe he returns? Players leave, might see someone cut out, it happens everywhere, if that’s the case I see no reason why Painter wouldn’t want him back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT