ADVERTISEMENT

Armaan is now on the Clock

Or courtsidein Mackey the year before when the Boilers thrashed the Hoosiers and secured the Big Ten championship. It was raining Black and Gold Confetti after that beat down.

Reactions: Schnelk
I mean playing time is definitely more available at IU immediately.

Purdue is kind of loaded at guard with Hunter, IT, Nojel Eastern

Indiana has Devonte Green, who isnt good, Al Durham, who is more of a reserve quality player in the B1G right now, and Phinisee who is a pure point guard, who probably isnt a starting caliber B1G player for 2 years.

Immediate playing time, maybe even starter minutes, does seem to exist for Franklin at Indiana whereas he for sure is not going to start or play big minutes at Purdue as a freshman unless hes just really good right away and surprises.

I think that is an accurate talking point for Archie to use and a fair recruiting angle that is clean and not dirty whatsoever IMO. Not surprised that its reported hes using it as a selling point that Indiana is thin at guard and Purdue has very talented guards.

Immediate playing time, maybe even starter minutes, does seem to exist for Franklin at Indiana whereas he for sure is not going to start or play big minutes at Purdue as a freshman unless hes just really good right away and surprises.

He’d be taking Isaiah’s minutes...Especially for a kid who can play SG with a little PG there’s plenty of minutes to be had at Purdue...I wish it were that simple to point to

He’d be taking Isaiah’s minutes...Especially for a kid who can play SG with a little PG there’s plenty of minutes to be had at Purdue...I wish it were that simple to point to

Huh? Franklin will not be taking IT's minutes if he commits to Purdue. That is an absolute certainty.

Huh? Franklin will not be taking IT's minutes if he commits to Purdue. That is an absolute certainty.

They’re in the same class...can handle the ball next to nojel...and Franklin would be better defensively from the jump...why would IT play before him?

Indiana has Devonte Green, who isnt good, Al Durham, who is more of a reserve quality player in the B1G right now, and Phinisee who is a pure point guard, who probably isnt a starting caliber B1G player for 2 years.

I think that is an accurate talking point for Archie to use and a fair recruiting angle that is clean and not dirty whatsoever IMO. Not surprised that its reported hes using it as a selling point that Indiana is thin at guard and Purdue has very talented guards.
Im guessing your tune on Franklin will change if he commits to Purdue.

I think people forget we also will have Eric Hunter who is reported to be impressive in the summer workouts. There is also nothing written in stone that Carsen will leave. I think we all expect him to jump but you never know. Just like we all assume Romeo will leave but that can change in an instant particularly if there is something like injuries. Not that I hope that for any kid but you can bet his advisors have mentioned either or both not making the jump.

They’re in the same class...can handle the ball next to nojel...and Franklin would be better defensively from the jump...why would IT play before him?

IT is a ball handler who can play off the ball and catch and shoot or be a creator as the primary ball handler in PnR. That is basically what Matt Painter wants out of a point guard offensively down to a T.

Im guessing your tune on Franklin will change if he commits to Purdue.

If Franklin chooses Purdue, he is likely a strong redshirt candidate as a freshman, which Im sure is something Archie Miller has relayed to him. On the other hand, he would probably start or at the very least play immediately at Indiana.

When you consider things from that reality, it makes sense that everyone who had him as a Purdue lock is now backtracking and calling it 50/50. Everything playing time related seems to make more sense to him at IU when you really think about it.

A blowout between two non tournament teams in January sold Franklin on IU?? Dont think I buy it...
Recruiting has little to do with what team they played. It is all about getting to know the kids already committed to the school.

If Franklin chooses Purdue, he is likely a strong redshirt candidate as a freshman, which Im sure is something Archie Miller has relayed to him. On the other hand, he would probably start or at the very least play immediately at Indiana.

When you consider things from that reality, it makes sense that everyone who had him as a Purdue lock is now backtracking and calling it 50/50. Everything playing time related seems to make more sense to him at IU when you really think about it.

Indiana guards
Green SR
Phinisee SO
Durham JR

Purdue guards
Eastern JR
Hunter SO
Thompson Fr

I don’t see too much of a difference in available playing time between the two if you’re Franklin...

Reactions: Montana48

You think he’d start at the two over Langford? Kids that aren’t one of the best in their conference almost always stay awhile.
:cool:

Reactions: cosmickid
Where is Damezi Anderson in this mix? They have a ton of forwards so someone there is shifting to the backcourt. I thought everyone was touting him as a possible 2.

Reactions: Schnelk
Indiana guards
Green SR
Phinisee SO
Durham JR

Purdue guards
Eastern JR
Hunter SO
Thompson Fr

I don’t see too much of a difference in available playing time between the two if you’re Franklin...
You left out Staponovich on the list of Purdue guards.

Knowing the kind of coach Painter is, he's not going to oversign (unless Hall doesn't commit). Have a strong feeling Painter is holding 1 scholarship open for Newman/Franklin and the other for Hall. Unless Carsen comes to Painter early and tells him this is his last year no matter what, or if someone decides to transfer mid-year, I see Painter treating this like a 4 man class. I've just yet to see Painter ever oversign on a class in 13 years and I don't expect this year to be any different.
Painter is absolutely treating this as a 5 man class, as he should. We have Gillis and IT committed. Painter would accept commitments from Franklin, Hall, and Timme and honestly that is the dream scenario IMHO. Carsen is gone after this year.

Where is Damezi Anderson in this mix? They have a ton of forwards so someone there is shifting to the backcourt. I thought everyone was touting him as a possible 2.

DA is a 3 who could play some at the 2. Doubtful he sees time this year with Romeo, Hunter, and McRoberts. He will definitely help next season though. Supposedly Hunter looks just as good as Romeo in practice and the staff thinks he's a potential one and done too.

DA is a 3 who could play some at the 2. Doubtful he sees time this year with Romeo, Hunter, and McRoberts. He will definitely help next season though. Supposedly Hunter looks just as good as Romeo in practice and the staff thinks he's a potential one and done too.
What's funny is that no matter how good some kid named Hunter looks for iu in practice - Purdue owns iu...always have...always will.

Half the hoosier lineup is held together by wet paper mache and elmer's glue. I don't see how they can keep many of their "star" players healthy through this season.

Half the hoosier lineup is held together by wet paper mache and elmer's glue. I don't see how they can keep many of their "star" players healthy through this season.

What in the heck is that supposed to mean? That they're fragile? That you think they'll have injuries this year? What is your problem? This post constitutes a new low for this board. No matter how much I dislike Purdue as a rival, I would never wish or assume that they will have injury problems that derail the team.

Reactions: Montana48
What in the heck is that supposed to mean? That they're fragile? That you think they'll have injuries this year? What is your problem? This post constitutes a new low for this board. No matter how much I dislike Purdue as a rival, I would never wish or assume that they will have injury problems that derail the team.

Relax bubby! I wish no harm to any player, just pointing out that several of the hoosiers marquee names have been subject to ongoing injuries which have affected them significantly these past few seasons. It's not like I'm comparing Romeo's recruitment to child rape as we've seen on this board before. That was well below what I've stated.

You really read entirely too much in to that post.

Relax bubby! I wish no harm to any player, just pointing out that several of the hoosiers marquee names have been subject to ongoing injuries which have affected them significantly these past few seasons. It's not like I'm comparing Romeo's recruitment to child rape as we've seen on this board before. That was well below what I've stated.

Joel Embid/Derrick Rose/Sam Bowie? Yes.
Jerry Sandusky? No

Got it. :rolleyes:

Agreed, the child rape comment was an all time low, forgot about that one. Sorry, I probably overreacted, it just seemed like an unnecessary comment to make, thinking the team won't be able to stay healthy. Also, not really on topic at all, so it seemed like a low down comment for no reason. I would think it similar to me saying, "Purdue will be good this year, but will fall short of expectations when one of their star players gets injured right before the tournament".

Agreed, the child rape comment was an all time low, forgot about that one. Sorry, I probably overreacted, it just seemed like an unnecessary comment to make, thinking the team won't be able to stay healthy. Also, not really on topic at all, so it seemed like a low down comment for no reason. I would think it similar to me saying, "Purdue will be good this year, but will fall short of expectations when one of their star players gets injured right before the tournament".

No problem, we’ve come to expect the untimely injury derailing our season

Last edited:

Unfortunately, the hypothetical prediction to which you have referred has been all to common in Purdue's history and also correct. It should be expanded to "... just prior to or during..." in order to be totally accurate.

The comment was not a wish by the poster but rather an observation regarding caution. That is different from the celebration of Hummel's injury and also Haas' that was found on the other site.

I think that you read too much into it and overreacted.

Reactions: Statey and Purdue85
It appears Franklin is headed to iu now. Kind of an odd situation as all of the iu fans were ok with Franklin going to Purdue as they thought Newman was the better player and would then commit to iu. Now that Franklin is apparently going to iu and its been reported that Newman will not attend the same school as Franklin, Purdue could be a favorite for Newman. Could this be a case Purdue winning by losing? And I have no doubt that iu fans will now suddenly say that they preferred Franklin all along.

No, I favored Newman because of his outside shooting. They are both great players but have different strengths.

Franklin won't start at IU for the first two years and he wouldn't redshirt at Purdue.

It appears Franklin is headed to iu now. Kind of an odd situation as all of the iu fans were ok with Franklin going to Purdue as they thought Newman was the better player and would then commit to iu. Now that Franklin is apparently going to iu and its been reported that Newman will not attend the same school as Franklin, Purdue could be a favorite for Newman. Could this be a case Purdue winning by losing? And I have no doubt that iu fans will now suddenly say that they preferred Franklin all along.
As an IU fan I think both have about the same upside but I do think Newman is more ready to contribute now. I would rather have Newman but am very happy with franklin. Both are the 4 year foundational pieces that placed with the right pieces can really make a difference. Both are Indiana kids and would hate to play against them but hope they go to IU/ PU. I hate OSU and don’t want them to be any good.

Reactions: echs86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT