ADVERTISEMENT

Armaan is now on the Clock

I think we need to get a little creative here. We need to think outside the box. How can we get both of these guys +Hall ? Could Isaiah play next year as a walk-on, or maybe Isaiah or Gillis red shirt? If there's a will there's a way. That would be an incredible recruiting class if Painter can make it happen.

I think we need to get a little creative here. We need to think outside the box. How can we get both of these guys +Hall ? Could Isaiah play next year as a walk-on, or maybe Isaiah or Gillis red shirt? If there's a will there's a way. That would be an incredible recruiting class if Painter can make it happen.

It is highly likely that CE goes pro so noschollie problem .....

A. We will have 5 scholarships open assuming Carsen goes pro.

B. If we did not, why would PJ or his parents have to pay his way for a year? That's just dumb.

C. Redshirts still count towards the 13 scholarship limit, so that would have no affect.

D. It doesn't appear it's realistic to get both Franklin and Newman.

Last edited:
Did you study under the dumbasses at the PeegStye? Sounds like their thinking pattern.

B. If we did not, why would PJ or his parents have to pay his way for a year? That's just dumb.

C. Redshirts still count towards the 13 scholarship limit, so that would have no affect.

E. Hall, IT, Franklin, and Gillis would be a really good class. The reason Hall is a must get is because a class of IT, Franklin, and Gillis would be average at best.

What a nice thing to say...…..

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Oh ok I forgot ,you're the exper.

Why the dickish response? The only way Purdue is going to sign 5 guys in 2019 is if they have 5 available scholarships? At the present point we have 4, but there’s a large possibility that Carsen leaves giving us 5. In 13 years I’ve never seen Painter oversign one of his classes and I don’t envision that starting anytime soon. Painter has 1 scholly for Newman or Franklin and one for Hall unless Hall commits elsewhere

Take it FWIW, but there is Franklin to IU chatter out there. IU's insiders are holding at 50/50. We will all find out tomorrow.
Yeah, heard this too.

What I'm hearing from what I was told were the variables in play. Some we already know.

- AF is making "his own decision". His mom and aunt are the other two players here, but they are "advising and not pushing" him one way or another. The Aunt (PSU Women's coach) is the basketball advisor while the mom is more focusing on the college/academic side.
- The aunt was VERY impressed with IU in terms of how they run practices and the other features of the program. I was told that could weigh heavy as AF definitely listens to what she says about basketball matters. This was cited as why some are thinking IU might be the choice.
- PU has a big pull in terms of current players vs IU. He's friendly with Dez Anderson, but he has many more friends on the PU side.
- PU has simply spent more time with him and there is more familiarity there. There may be some concern about AF being "recruited over" at IU. They may get Ramsey and are in on some good guards in 2020 and 2021 as well.
- It's been long discussed that AF is not a "big campus" guy and some of the attractions that often pull some kids to Bloomington may not play the same way with AF.
- While not a decisive draw, the possibility of playing with some kids like TJD and Brooks is something that I was told not to ignore.

Folks I've talked to were VERY confident about AF to Purdue a few weeks back. Same folks are now much more hesitant. The sense is that PU "may" still be the pick, but there are some things that came out of the Bloomington visit that have raised some serious thoughts that IU may well be the pick.

It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

Last edited:

Scholarships must not be a problem since Painter gave one to Luce.

One IU insider I follow a lot is almost hinting that it could be IU but then said his “gut” is Purdue.

He usually is never wrong and in this case.... who knows!

We heard for the longest time that Eastern didn’t want to play with Bowen so it was one or the other. Which was prettt much considered fact. That is, of course, until his mother got on the board and said that was hogwash.

I am not saying they end up playing together, but you better believe I think Painter is trying to land both. They have visited together and played (very well together). I think they would be an incredible combo at the next level. They already have a very good chemistry as well.

I think Painter will be happy with either one, but Newman is a more polished shooter, which means he can contribute sooner. I think Newman would get the slight nod of the pair, but both will be good at the next level.

Hall, Newman, IT, and Gillis is a well rounded class and would likely have more success than the ‘14 class. But I still think Gillis’ offer will depend on his knee. If he can’t ever play again, hopefully Purdue can honor is scholarship and not have it count against them. Gillis seems like a real good kid and I certainly he comes back better than ever.
Agree with everything you said here, except for the first couple thoughts on Gillis. It is way too early to even speculate/mention this stuff about him and it's not fair to him or his family to keep bringing it up on this board. I've seen it mentioned several times in recent weeks, like honoring his scholarship and so on, and it bugs me a little bit. Even bringing up anything regarding him not playing again is ridiculous. It doesn't seem like anyone truly knows how serious it is or what's going on. Sounds like he could play at some point this coming season. He might not. But he can also redshirt his freshman season at Purdue too if he needs to. We're gonna have some solid depth. There's so much time between now and when he might first step on the court at Purdue.

Yeah, heard this too.

What I'm hearing from what I was told were the variables in play. Some we already know.

- AF is making "his own decision". His mom and aunt are the other two players here, but they are "advising and not pushing" him one way or another. The Aunt (PSU Women's coach) is the basketball advisor while the mom is more focusing on the college/academic side.
- The aunt was VERY impressed with IU in terms of how they run practices and the other features of the program. I was told that could weigh heavy as AF definitely listens to what she says about basketball matters. This was cited as why some are thinking IU might be the choice.
- PU has a big pull in terms of current players vs IU. He's friendly with Dez Anderson, but he has many more friends on the PU side.
- PU has simply spent more time with him and there is more familiarity there. There may be some concern about AF being "recruited over" at IU. They may get Ramsey and are in on some good guards in 2020 and 2021 as well.
- It's been long discussed that AF is not a "big campus" guy and some of the attractions that often pull some kids to Bloomington may not play the same way with AF.
- While not a decisive draw, the possibility of playing with some kids like TJD and Brooks is something that I was told not to ignore.

Folks I've talked to were VERY confident about AF to Purdue a few weeks back. Same folks are now much more hesitant. The sense is that PU "may" still be the pick, but there are some things that came out of the Bloomington visit that have raised some serious thoughts that IU may well be the pick.

It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

How are they able to evaluate how the teams practice since the season hasn't started yet? I know they are aloted some time for team and individual workouts, but I'm guessing what they do varies day to day in the off season. Not trying to get into an argument, just curious. Thanks for all of that info!

How are they able to evaluate how the teams practice since the season hasn't started yet? I know they are aloted some time for team and individual workouts, but I'm guessing what they do varies day to day in the off season. Not trying to get into an argument, just curious. Thanks for all of that info!
No that's a completely fair point. I was under the impression they give an elaborate presentation on the kinds of drills they run, complete with video. That being, they are able to show what they do in ptactice without conducting a real, live practice.

Reactions: Roeder
Agree with everything you said here, except for the first couple thoughts on Gillis. It is way too early to even speculate/mention this stuff about him and it's not fair to him or his family to keep bringing it up on this board. I've seen it mentioned several times in recent weeks, like honoring his scholarship and so on, and it bugs me a little bit. Even bringing up anything regarding him not playing again is ridiculous. It doesn't seem like anyone truly knows how serious it is or what's going on. Sounds like he could play at some point this coming season. He might not. But he can also redshirt his freshman season at Purdue too if he needs to. We're gonna have some solid depth. There's so much time between now and when he might first step on the court at Purdue.

His knee is going to either heal or it won’t. Talking about it doesn’t change that fact and this is a fan board. I am sorry if it bugs you are you think it is a shot at him, but it isn’t. How many times did we talk about Hummel’s knee, Robinson’s back, or pick your Taylor injury. Gillis may come back better and stronger and I am surely hoping that is the case. I don’t think there was anything in that post to suggest otherwise.

Maybe Franklin and Newman wont commit to the same school, maybe they will.

Just remember, the person saying they wont also said DJ Carton was down to Indiana and Michigan. Carton, youll remember, picked Ohio State shortly after that lolproclamation.

Maybe Franklin and Newman wont commit to the same school, maybe they will.

Just remember, the person saying they wont also said DJ Carton was down to Indiana and Michigan. Carton, youll remember, picked Ohio State shortly after that lolproclamation.

That's true, things can always change. It's my understanding that Carton was basically down to IU and UM until he visited OSU again and they made a heck of a sell. After that visit, the chatter changed. In this case the visits are done and over, nothing left to influence him any further.

That being said, I can't say that I believe or put much faith in any of the comments that they won't play together either. As far as I can tell, those notions aren't based on much.

I'm torn on this recruitment from an IU perspective. I would be happy to see a commitment from a top 150 Indiana guard, and I think Franklin can develop into a really nice player. However, if getting him means we have less chance with Newman, Ramsey and others....I would rather have one of the others. I just think they have more potential, from what I've seen. But....I wouldn't want to miss out on Franklin and then not get any of the others either. Franklin is better that coming up empty. Like I said, I'm torn. But I will be happy with whoever the coaching staff thinks is a good fit.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
That's true, things can always change. It's my understanding that Carton was basically down to IU and UM until he visited OSU again and they made a heck of a sell. After that visit, the chatter changed. In this case the visits are done and over, nothing left to influence him any further.

That being said, I can't say that I believe or put much faith in any of the comments that they won't play together either. As far as I can tell, those notions aren't based on much.

I'm torn on this recruitment from an IU perspective. I would be happy to see a commitment from a top 150 Indiana guard, and I think Franklin can develop into a really nice player. However, if getting him means we have less chance with Newman, Ramsey and others....I would rather have one of the others. I just think they have more potential, from what I've seen. But....I wouldn't want to miss out on Franklin and then not get any of the others either. Franklin is better that coming up empty. Like I said, I'm torn. But I will be happy with whoever the coaching staff thinks is a good fit.

I get the impression most IU fans do not want Franklin, and hope he picks Purdue so they get a clearer path to Newman or another higher rated prospect to fill Romeo's minutes at the 2.

I think either would be a great fit for Purdue. Can't think of a recruitment like this in the past. Should be fun to watch it play out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT