ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone who says Morton shouldn’t play and Colvin should play more….

…should watch tape of this game on replay until they understand.

Morton put on a clinic on Christie in the second half and Colvin struggled mightily during their first half onslaught.

Both are tools to use. Both can play.

Morton, as I said multiple times. was fantastic tonight. CMP needed that, & Morton responded. Great game. There are players he can NOT guard, but tonight, tremendous!

Morton, as I said multiple times. was fantastic tonight. CMP needed that, & Morton responded. Great game. There are players he can NOT guard, but tonight, tremendous!
Most of the time I hear Morton didn’t guard so and so it’s an offense player nobody on the team can stop. The player does blow by Morton sometimes but he also gets stopped, multiple times, shot blocked or turned over. Great offensive players are hard to shut down, Painter knows that. They can be slowed down, taken out of their rhythm , that’s what Morton does most of the time. That’s what Painter is looking for. Tonight, Morton was even better, he shut Christie down.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Christie would be riding the pine for us . His defense wasn’t very good and we all know Painters’ view about defense and playing time
Lol as someone not afraid to criticize Painter, that's just kinda silly. Ivey didn't play great defense. I'm not sure Carson did either. You get players like that, Painter is playing em because of course he is. He's not a moron who is going to sit that level of talent.

Morton put on a clinic on Christie in the second half and Colvin struggled mightily during their first half onslaught.
Morton was absolutely a reason we won this game. He shut down Christie.

Morton was absolutely a reason we won this game. He shut down Christie.
Yeah…that first half tho…

Not mad about it as we adjusted and completely took him out of the game but he was also allowed to go completely unconscious from 3 for a bit and most of that was with Morton on him.

Not mad about it as we adjusted and completely took him out of the game but he was also allowed to go completely unconscious from 3 for a bit and most of that was with Morton on him.
Scoring plays in the first half:

18:00 2 on Loyer
15:02 3 on Loyer off the curl
7:29 3 on Heide off the curl
6:06 3 on Heide playing too far off him

incorrect, only 1 of Christie's 3's came with Morty on him.

I was going to write a long riff about why Morton wasn't player of the game after Smith score 16 points, had 8 rebounds, 9 assists and 4 steals but I stopped because I just don't care as long as Morton's minutes are limited to about 8-10 minutes per game. At this point there isn't another guard coming off the bench that is going to give us much more on either end of the floor in those minutes and he's clearly not going to replace any of the starters.

I'll follow up by saying Heide and Colvin played 12 minutes and took one shot. Does it really matter that they are better scorers if they are only going to take one shot between them?

The “so called onslaught” was not due to ineffective defense by Colvin. Twice Christie hit two 3 ptrs against Heide and a jumper on Loyer. Garcia scored 5 pts, once due to TKR not playing any defense. TKR decided to leave Garcia alone and camped in the lane. Another time Garcia hit a 3 ptr against TKR. The one time that Colvin was scored on was on a secondary break and Mitchell hit a three. Prior, Smith threw a crap pass for a turnover, forcing Colvin to guard Minn PG who was jumping out of bounds and threw a pass to Mitchell. Mitchell was being guarded by Smith and hit a 3. Colvin did not struggle on defense.

I saw no clinic by Morton in the second half. Yes he had a deflection but also got beat off the dribble 2-3 times, one leading to a two ptr by Garcia. Morton’s defense is highly overrated.

Most of the time I hear Morton didn’t guard so and so it’s an offense player nobody on the team can stop. The player does blow by Morton sometimes but he also gets stopped, multiple times, shot blocked or turned over. Great offensive players are hard to shut down, Painter knows that. They can be slowed down, taken out of their rhythm , that’s what Morton does most of the time. That’s what Painter is looking for. Tonight, Morton was even better, he shut Christie down.

I have been one of the biggest Morton critics on the board, but I recognize Morton is a nice tool to have. Used well by CMP. Will need him alot in NCAAT in situations he can be successful.

My fear is he makes the offense stall when it 5 on 4. Sure was NOT the case last night. Might be against more experienced coaches though

The “so called onslaught” was not due to ineffective defense by Colvin. Twice Christie hit two 3 ptrs against Heide and a jumper on Loyer. Garcia scored 5 pts, once due to TKR not playing any defense. TKR decided to leave Garcia alone and camped in the lane. Another time Garcia hit a 3 ptr against TKR. The one time that Colvin was scored on was on a secondary break and Mitchell hit a three. Prior, Smith threw a crap pass for a turnover, forcing Colvin to guard Minn PG who was jumping out of bounds and threw a pass to Mitchell. Mitchell was being guarded by Smith and hit a 3. Colvin did not struggle on defense.

I saw no clinic by Morton in the second half. Yes he had a deflection but also got beat off the dribble 2-3 times, one leading to a two ptr by Garcia. Morton’s defense is highly overrated.
If you don't think Colvin wasn't a factor in the scoring outburst, you should keep watching on repeat. It's not always the guy guarding the guy who scores who initiated the breakdown.

I mean technically no on the "onslaught" but I can easily point out three plays where Colvin wasn't where he should be on help defense.

Your second paragraph is just...I'm going to try and be nice and say challenged.

Morton destroyed Christie who was scoring at will against everyone else. Period.

I get Christie is perhaps projected as an NBA player, but he averages less than 14pts per game. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like Morton played great defense. That's wonderful, but if I only read this thread, I would think Morton shut down Kobe

I will give Morton credit because he put the clamp on Christie in the second. Think I saw he and the other guy had like 4 in the second.

I also give major credit to our coaches for changing the defense we were playing on them. We started forcing them into later shots and harder shots.

I don’t think Colvin did terrible but he got caught flat footed a few times. I was surprised when our offense stalled that we didn’t run anything to get him a look. Painter mentioned that the rut we got into offensively was due to too much dribbling.

Anyways, Morton, Heide and Colvin will all need to be critical pieces for us to go far in March.

I will give Morton credit because he put the clamp on Christie in the second. Think I saw he and the other guy had like 4 in the second.

I also give major credit to our coaches for changing the defense we were playing on them. We started forcing them into later shots and harder shots.

I don’t think Colvin did terrible but he got caught flat footed a few times. I was surprised when our offense stalled that we didn’t run anything to get him a look. Painter mentioned that the rut we got into offensively was due to too much dribbling.

Anyways, Morton, Heide and Colvin will all need to be critical pieces for us to go far in March.
Colvin actually made a nice pass into the post ( Edey) may be a first for him. If he wants to play when Edey is in the game he needs to do that sometimes. And surprise, that pass may come back to him as a wide open shot.

The discuss was not not to play Morton but to give Colvin more time. He did not score vs MN but he played well. No major gaffs. He's getting valuable experience. Painter's comments after were favorable.

I get Christie is perhaps projected as an NBA player, but he averages less than 14pts per game. I didn't watch the game, but it sounds like Morton played great defense. That's wonderful, but if I only read this thread, I would think Morton shut down Kobe
No. He just shut down the player that no one else could stop when they were beating us. And it's not the first time this year.

Reactions: tjreese
If you don’t want to rewatch the game, Ant Wright did it for you.

CMP has to get him on the RIGHT guys, like this game. An 8-15 minute defensive assassin is great when needed. Just have to keep him off quick guards. Btw, if Morton is 6-7" so am I. As long as he doesn't stall the offense, I am ok. Even though I am not a Morton fan, I have recognized his great play several times this season. How could you watch the game and NOT see this??

CMP has to get him on the RIGHT guys, like this game. An 8-15 minute defensive assassin is great when needed. Just have to keep him off quick guards. Btw, if Morton is 6-7" so am I. As long as he doesn't stall the offense, I am ok. Even though I am not a Morton fan, I have recognized his great play several times this season. How could you watch the game and NOT see this??
Yep. Morton struggles against smaller, quick guys. But guys who are more savvy than quick, he does well against.

Nope, just shut down the college kid that killed us in the 1st half. The word you're neglecting is "appreciation".

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Yep. Morton struggles against smaller, quick guys. But guys who are more savvy than quick, he does well against.
True he does better against slower guys. Of course he struggles against smaller quick players, they are usually the best quickest scorer on that team who are killing every boiler ( except Jones) who plays against them. So he will get blown by a few times, but sometimes they get a step, but his height allows him to still disrupt, get a block or force a turnover. Early in the year he did that to Sears, getting a few stops and also getting blown by, blocked a potential winning three by Tennessee etc. The key is getting a few stops while Jones is out, but as Mark Jackson used to say great offense players are going to get their scores.

There are players on every team that some Purdue players can't guard. Every Purdue player has a weak area. I thought Cam was well ahead on D versus his O, but not sure he never gave up more baskets to Christie than Fletcher. Been there and done that experienc, sometimes makes up for less physical attributes IMO. Lance provides a bit more versatility as does Ethan on D, but each has players they will have difficulty with, but they may be the best on that side of the ball that Matt can choose...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT