ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody think Painter is contemplating a change at the 3?

After losing 4 out of the last 6 games...any coach, who has any Basketball Coaching IQ, would recognize and make a lineup change: Smith, Jenkins, Newman, Gillis/Furst, and Edey.

Painter STOP being so rigid in your coaching decisions!

Morton brings nothing, especially on the offense end...and he made clear last night can NOT guard athletic players...plus is offensively inept. Also, Purdue will not go far in the NCAA Tournament playing an all freshmen backcourt...hence Jenkins for Loyer.

I would agree he is stubborn. It would massively surprise the heck out of me if Newman starts. Or if he does start, is not quickly yanked from the starting line up. Even though Morton had the worst +/- in the last game and Newman had one of the best +/- on the whole team.

CMP loves him some Morton who was for sure, flat out brilliant at the start of the season, but his play has been up and down since.

But ridgid as CMP is, what he does works in the B10. 4 championships, consistent contenders, recruits great guys that work in his system. And a championship year where nobody had Purdue close to even consider competing for the crown. So trust him when it comes to the B10.

The NCAAT seems to be above his methods so far. I hope that changes in my lifetime. Hoped it for my Dad, a huge Purdue fan, but at 88, he might be running out of tourneys? But then again none of us knows our last day, so like my Dad, I am just going to enjoy the Boilers on one hand, and be ready for Eternity on the other. ,✝️

I would agree he is stubborn. It would massively surprise the heck out of me if Newman starts. Or if he does start, is not quickly yanked from the starting line up. Even though Morton had the worst +/- in the last game and Newman had one of the best +/- on the whole team.

CMP loves him some Morton who was for sure, flat out brilliant at the start of the season, but his play has been up and down since.

But ridgid as CMP is, what he does works in the B10. 4 championships, consistent contenders, recruits great guys that work in his system. And a championship year where nobody had Purdue close to even consider competing for the crown. So trust him when it comes to the B10.

The NCAAT seems to be above his methods so far. I hope that changes in my lifetime. Hoped it for my Dad, a huge Purdue fan, but at 88, he might be running out of tourneys? But then again none of us knows our last day, so like my Dad, I am just going to enjoy the Boilers on one hand, and be ready for Eternity on the other. ,✝️

Hey Buck, nice post. Really resonated with myself and guessing others too.
Really want to see them break through obviously and reach that mythical FF or NC. For all the players and coaches - past and present.

But on a more personal note - like you touched upon - for our aging parents or loved ones in the Purdue family and/or diehard fandom.

My father is 78. BS from Purdue, in 1962, drafted and served for Vietnam, and then returned to West Lala and finished his PhD in 1969, I believe it was. He's battling Leukemia and hanging in there but boy, I sure would like him to be able to see that FF / NC.

Do know he's got enough great Purdue memories to feel fulfilled regardless of sports...but yeah... ya know what I'm saying

LFG Boilers!

Hey Buck, nice post. Really resonated with myself and guessing others too.
Really want to see them break through obviously and reach that mythical FF or NC. For all the players and coaches - past and present.

But on a more personal note - like you touched upon - for our aging parents or loved ones in the Purdue family and/or diehard fandom.

My father is 78. BS from Purdue, in 1962, drafted and served for Vietnam, and then returned to West Lala and finished his PhD in 1969, I believe it was. He's battling Leukemia and hanging in there but boy, I sure would like him to be able to see that FF / NC.

Do know he's got enough great Purdue memories to feel fulfilled regardless of sports...but yeah... ya know what I'm saying

LFG Boilers!
I'm very sorry to hear that, GoldandBlack. Your dad sounds like a great guy. Best wishes to him and your entire family.

I'm very sorry to hear that, GoldandBlack. Your dad sounds like a great guy. Best wishes to him and your entire family.
Thank you Rg. He is a tremendous man, and even though I'm in my 40s, I still look up to him.

Aging parents battling illnesses - an unfortunate aspect of life that all of us have -or will go through - at some point. But he's still here now - so we just soak it all in and try and enjoy each and every game.

Thanks again!

I have never been a Morton fan. Can't believe he was Mr. BB in PA. terrible shooter and I would replace him with Newman. Newman just has more to offer. better rebounder, better shooter, just as good defense and hustler. The defense doesn't even have to guard Morton when he is away from the basket and sag in on Edey. Time to make a change before it is too late.

I've been saying for 4 years that Morton wasn't a B10 caliber player or athlete. People got all upset about that saying he was behind because of mono, this n that.
The knock on Morton was always that he dominated in his high school conference (must not be a lot of good basketball in that conference) but always struggled in AAU against better athletes and competition. His career has pretty much played out the exact same way. Hie's a try hard Johnny, but the weakest link.

Trust the system. Good teams never change strategies. Painter just needs time to implement his system.

Plus Morton allows JHS to play 40 minutes because he has to expend zero energy on defense. Double whammy.
Can we question Painter's system?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I've been saying for 4 years that Morton wasn't a B10 caliber player or athlete. People got all upset about that saying he was behind because of mono, this n that.
The knock on Morton was always that he dominated in his high school conference (must not be a lot of good basketball in that conference) but always struggled in AAU against better athletes and competition. His career has pretty much played out the exact same way. Hie's a try hard Johnny, but the weakest link.
I think his athleticism is fine. Just need more shooting ability at the 3.

Reactions: Boilermakerdad
Morton does play with all he has. When Ethan was recruited, Painter talked about what a great passer he was. He was a pretty good scorer in high school that hasn’t translated to the college game. It was implied he would be the facilitator of the offense. Unfortunately he doesn’t handle the ball that well and lately the player he is assigned to seems to be scoring at will. He is having a most difficult time trying to stay in front of most any offensive players currently. Again, he plays hard and gives it his all.

Reactions: DannyGranger
if painter stays the course with the lineup, then we will continue to struggle and could lose our last two games.
100%. These aren't knee jerk reactions from last weekend. Both losses to IU, the loss at Maryland, the 2nd half in the win against Maryland, the loss to Rutgers and the loss at Northewestern all have the same common theme. Not all starters on the perimeter could handle the physical and athletic pressure they were seeing. Loyer, Smith, or Morton can't be getting 30+ minutes of action when they can't handle the style of play in that game. If Newman and Jenkins can't either then we're toast, but some sort of adjustment has to be tried. I think this team is capable of a Final 4 run, but I also think it's totally dependant on who we draw and how that teams handles perimeter defense.

Last edited:
Morton does play with all he has. When Ethan was recruited, Painter talked about what a great passer he was. He was a pretty good scorer in high school that hasn’t translated to the college game. It was implied he would be the facilitator of the offense. Unfortunately he doesn’t handle the ball that well and lately the player he is assigned to seems to be scoring at will. He is having a most difficult time trying to stay in front of most any offensive players currently. Again, he plays hard and gives it his all.
Every player plays hard and gives it their all. Just because a guy plays like a spaz doesn't mean he's trying any harder than a guy who is smother or more athletic.

Reactions: DannyGranger
100%. These aren't knee jerk reactions from last weekend. Both losses to IU, the loss at Maryland, the 2nd half in the win against Maryland, the loss to Rutgers and the loss at Northewestern all have the same common theme. Not all starters on the perimeter could handle the physical and athletic pressure they were seeing. Loyer, Smith, or Morton can't be getting 30+ minutes of action when they can't handle style of play in that game. If Newman and Jenkins can't either then we're toast, but some sort of adjustment has to be tried. I think this team is capable of a Final 4 run, but I also think it's totally dependant on who we draw and how that teams handles perimeter defense.
Guards win in the tourney and unfortunately, right now, out weak spot is guard play. Every opposing team is going to try and exploit that and when we face a team that is long and athletic on the perimeter......good night.
We're seeing the results of missing out on a guard or two in the portal.

If Loyer has indeed been playing through an injury, why not rest him and let him get healthy? Maybe now that they have clenched the B1G title, we might see him get fewer minutes (if not just sit out a game) to get completely healthy before the big dance.

If Loyer has indeed been playing through an injury, why not rest him and let him get healthy? Maybe now that they have clenched the B1G title, we might see him get fewer minutes (if not just sit out a game) to get completely healthy before the big dance.

Is he? First I’ve heard.

Reactions: Schnelk
Ha ha. He's pretty much the mirror image of Morton, just better.
Yeah I thought they were similar players as freshmen, but Galloway’s shooting has really improved over the last 2 years.

Morton’s got better last year, but it’s regressed this year unfortunately.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yeah I thought they were similar players as freshmen, but Galloway’s shooting has really improved over the last 2 years.

Morton’s got better last year, but it’s regressed this year unfortunately.
Morton's ball handling has also gotten worse. I remember when we were playing Clemson? in some preseason tourney like, 3 years ago and IT couldn't bring the ball up against the pressure. Painter put Morton in (I think it was his first action off the redshirt) and he handled the pressure much better than IT. Not sure what happened since then.

CMP mentioned it on his radio show but it was kind of unclear if he had been or if he was still playing through it now.

Edit: it was a calf injury

Yikes, is that the one that he did today? Haven’t listened yet. Hope it’a something that can get fixed quickly. A calf issue would 100% affect shooting.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I definitely think that Morton is a better passer than Newman (as is Loyer), but I was impressed with Newman on Saturday and think that he may be worthy of the starting job now. We’ll find out what Painter thinks soon enough.

Reactions: Schnelk
Last night Newman ended up playing almost as many minutes as Morton and he finished the game. While no one could stop JHS it seemed Newman gave him more problems than Morton. While JHS scored against Newman, Newman really pressured the ball and ended up with 3 steals. Just watching the last few games it appears Newman's intensity has really picked up. and I'm starting to believe Morton's defense may not be good enough to offset his shortcomings on the offensive end of the court.

Anybody think Painter may be contemplation a change at the 3? I don't know if it would help. There is a fine line between panicking and pounding sand. For the first 22 games I was buying into this "glue guy" narrative but we've lost 2 out of the last 6. I think we'll win the B1G championship (most likely win out right) no matter who gets the minutes at the 3, but this ship is heading in the wrong direction as we approach tourney time.
I think so and included it insde this tome ;)

Galloway’s on court personality and body type have very little to do with Morton. Galloway has always been athletic and a get under your skin player who could hit floaters and finish at the rim. He used to be turnover and injury prone with a bad outside shot. He has improved his handle, decision making, and outside shot a lot.

Morton is a composed, much less athletic, very low turnover, previously pretty good low volume catch and shoot guy.

They’re both white, was that the reason for the comparison?

Reactions: mathboy
Guards win in the tourney and unfortunately, right now, out weak spot is guard play. Every opposing team is going to try and exploit that and when we face a team that is long and athletic on the perimeter......good night.
We're seeing the results of missing out on a guard or two in the portal.
I think that is part of it, but not all. I think those teams need a 5 that is a rim protector or at least someone that can effectively defend zach. I think no answer for zach and the young guards can get by. If a team is effective in defending zach, they have defended a lot of Purdue at this time.

Can we question Painter's system?
Not sure what his system is since he has had different looks at Purdue. Certainly, this team with the way the inside is being called is at a disadvantage since it all starts inside. I think you have seen Matt improve his recruiting because of his success in getting 5s that maybe other teams were not as interested, but improved Purdue which has now resulted in getting more good players. The baby boilers were a bit different. Carsen's last year was different. I think AJ, Haas and now Zach have been good enough that with the players Matt had that the team was centered a bit around them. That said, Matt does consider inside play important or he wouldn't double a 5 like he does. I think you see a bit more up and down whenever Zack leaves.

No matter what Zach does, next year Purdue will have two players more athletic than any playing right now. Purdue will have another 7'2" player, but probably a better shooter behind the arc than some playing today. The offense after Zach may be a bit more spread out. That said Caleb and Trey must improve their shooting at the FT line and beyond and both should develop a face up game. Trey did that once against IU and was effective in drawing a foul. Trey needs to do that a bit more..even when playing the 5 if going out a bit. So, I think you will continue to see Purdue build around what the majority of players do well, but with an inherent lean to inside play first until it is not...

I have no idea what Brian will do, but he is so much quicker now that he doesn't have the knee brace on and seems to be more comfortable than a couple of months ago. Not sure if he can get a medical shirt or not...or what his thoughts are concerning Purdue. We just know before the injury that the coaching staff thought he was a lot better than they originally thought...like Braden...

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Not sure what his system is since he has had different looks at Purdue. Certainly, this team with the way the inside is being called is at a disadvantage since it all starts inside. I think you have seen Matt improve his recruiting because of his success in getting 5s that maybe other teams were not as interested, but improved Purdue which has now resulted in getting more good players. The baby boilers were a bit different. Carsen's last year was different. I think AJ, Haas and now Zach have been good enough that with the players Matt had that the team was centered a bit around them. That said, Matt does consider inside play important or he wouldn't double a 5 like he does. I think you see a bit more up and down whenever Zack leaves.

No matter what Zach does, next year Purdue will have two players more athletic than any playing right now. Purdue will have another 7'2" player, but probably a better shooter behind the arc than some playing today. The offense after Zach may be a bit more spread out. That said Caleb and Trey must improve their shooting at the FT line and beyond and both should develop a face up game. Trey did that once against IU and was effective in drawing a foul. Trey needs to do that a bit more..even when playing the 5 if going out a bit. So, I think you will continue to see Purdue build around what the majority of players do well, but with an inherent lean to inside play first until it is not...

I have no idea what Brian will do, but he is so much quicker now that he doesn't have the knee brace on and seems to be more comfortable than a couple of months ago. Not sure if he can get a medical shirt or not...or what his thoughts are concerning Purdue. We just know before the injury that the coaching staff thought he was a lot better than they originally thought...like Braden...
I thought Painter should have considered putting Waddell on JHS when Morton couldn’t slow him down. He was the only one who could stay with the Marquette guy in the 2nd half.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I thought Painter should have considered putting Waddell on JHS when Morton couldn’t slow him down. He was the only one who could stay with the Marquette guy in the 2nd half.
He has not hit the court and I'm wondering if they are thinking medical, but that is strictly a guess. I have no info as such, but he is a 6'8" that can do a lot of things. Needs a couple more pounds maybe and to work on his shot, but he could be a huge surprise next year and Myles and Camden are very athletic as far as jumping and both have a big ten body. If Camden can shoot the ball well that would be a big plus and we know Myles is capable of scoring as well.

even with the poor defense, if we hit our free throws and make a decent number of our wide open 3s then we win. our shooting was horrible. i dont understand how loyer and gillis cant seem to hit 3s when we know they are good shooters. morton at this point is a liability at both ends of the court. he is nojel without the defense lately. need to change the rotation also. when we take edey and furst out, we are left with no inside game. i would start gillis over furst and then we would have a big man on the court all the time. tkr is not a 5 by any means and needs to play the 4.

I think that is part of it, but not all. I think those teams need a 5 that is a rim protector or at least someone that can effectively defend zach. I think no answer for zach and the young guards can get by. If a team is effective in defending zach, they have defended a lot of Purdue at this time.
The recipe that basically every coach will use is to double the post, make Zach kick it out, leave Morton open and let him shoot at much as he wants. Close out hard on the 3 pt line and force the Purdue guards to put it on the floor. Unless the team collectively gets out of their 3 pt funk, it'll be an short tourney run.

I think at this point it should be clear that we should NOT take video's of guys shooting in non game situations as ANY indication that they are going to be good shooters during games.
This is 3 years in a row (at least) that many of us (yes Me) thought we were going to have an outstanding shooting team and in fact we can barely shoot what feels like much of the time, outside of Zach

Reactions: Boiler8285

Painter is an avg recruiter. Look at where his recruiting classes rank. More often than not, outside the top 30. Stars matter.

Reactions: typeviic
I think at this point it should be clear that we should NOT take video's of guys shooting in non game situations as ANY indication that they are going to be good shooters during games.
This is 3 years in a row (at least) that many of us (yes Me) thought we were going to have an outstanding shooting team and in fact we can barely shoot what feels like much of the time, outside of Zach
It's also why you need to watch how guys perform in AAU. Yes, I realize AAU is sometimes glorified playground ball, but you're going to be facing a much higher caliber of athlete than you would in 90% of your high school career and these are the level of athlete you'll face in P5 teams. Morton is a really good example. Dominated his high schoool conference, struggled in AAU and that's pretty much held true at Purdue.

It's also why you need to watch how guys perform in AAU. Yes, I realize AAU is sometimes glorified playground ball, but you're going to be facing a much higher caliber of athlete than you would in 90% of your high school career and these are the level of athlete you'll face in P5 teams. Morton is a really good example. Dominated his high schoool conference, struggled in AAU and that's pretty much held true at Purdue.
Not all. I knew Braden was a player when I saw his AAU videos and he didn't disappear even when not scoring.
Certainly CE showed large in those games.
Matt's clearly stated that the bad years were when he went for the "better" players that had no stake in Purdue and acted like it.
He is and always will be a very paternal type coach and the reality is we usually get guys with a connection to the school in some way.
The loosiers have sucked for a decade and they STILL get 5 star guys dropping in their laps.
That doesn't happen here.

Trust the system. Good teams never change strategies. Painter just needs time to implement his system.

Plus Morton allows JHS to play 40 minutes because he has to expend zero energy on defense. Double whammy.
"Trust the system. Good teams never change strategies. Painter just needs time to implement his system."

Been 12 years w/that system

ADVERTISEMENT