ADVERTISEMENT

Still Blaming Officiating?

Like to see him in the middle of a 2 - 3 zone every once and awhile. Could stop the high post pick that has been killing us lately!
Never happen with Painter. Great coach that needs to be as creative on defense as he is on offense.

Are you ok? Do you need a hug?

Your statement above is just silly. In addition to the 'common knowledge' that players can wear down during the season, there's been scientific research to show that that's the case.

I'm not saying that's why this team is missing shots but saying that college players 'don't get tired legs' is simply not true.
If after 28 games they're not in good enough shape to give maximum effort for 30-35 minutes, while having an entire week off to rest, then maybe this team is collectively out of shape and that's why they're in a collective shooting funk (or.....maybe they're just not very good at shooting......?)

Can you cite your scientific research?

Career: 54% from the field 36% from 3. Not too bad for a 6-10 player. I'd gladly take 36% from 3 for the team the rest of the year. In fact, I'd go so far to say that if we hit 36% from 3 in the tournament we don't lose. It's what is either going to propel us to the FF or an early exit.
I'd much rather have Furst shooting a 3 than Morton.

I meant to say Woodson is younger, that’s what I thought.
Also, I agree with Woodson, Purdue had a week off, these kids legs aren’t tired, some are slumping, Fletcher is also shooting in bad luck, he had 3 shots go in and out on him, I bet his over 10.5 points, I was getting irritated lol. Thankfully, he scored 14, his win evened out my Purdue money line bet.

Tired legs in January when they shot 15% from 3 against Maryland? After that they shot 41, 45, 33, and 37% well into February .They played Michigan MSU, PSU, and IU in those games. Then later in February they shoot 18% against Northwestern and 15% against Maryland ( again). But wait, after those tired legs in the previous two games they play crappy Ohio State shooting 43%. Next game against IU they shoot 21%. Maybe it’s the competition, more than tired legs. I expect good shooting against Wisconsin.

Reactions: bonefish1
If after 28 games they're not in good enough shape to give maximum effort for 30-35 minutes, while having an entire week off to rest, then maybe this team is collectively out of shape and that's why they're in a collective shooting funk (or.....maybe they're just not very good at shooting......?)

Can you cite your scientific research?
Are we citing scientific research on this board now? I wasn't aware that we'd started that :)

There's a difference between being in good shape and just being worn down, if you haven't experienced it I'm not sure I can explain it. Attached is the study I had seen, there are others.
Link: Let me know if you need that hug

PS - I agree, this team may just not be very good at shooting. Being bad shooters and being worn down are not mutually exclusive.

Reactions: Schnelk
Anyone gonna blame another loss on officiating? We have issues at guard and making shots, that is why we have lost, not officials. Plus our defensive stopper cannot ever stop Hood.

I hope we get one of next 2 and claim the Big 10, but we will be lucky to get by 2nd game of NCAA.
REfs are always in play...sometimes very little and sometimes a lot. Basically IU shot very well from the field. I have not seen IU play anywhere near as good as they did all year and schifino had the best game he had all year. Watching Zach at the line you couldn't help but notice the gap...not a scratch, but a gap where he was clawed at Northwestern.

A general defensive game plan against Purdue starts with Zach since teams know he his going to see the ball and Purdue plays off him. They also know that when he is doubled he generally passes out. So teams want to be physical with Zach in positioning especially if the refs allow them to be. If they can move Zach out just a bit farther from the bucket, then the defensive player defending the ball on Zach's side has the ability to dig on the ball and also have a "shorter" closeout...all due to pushing Zach out. If Purdue gets the ball really deep, then the teams can just foul Zach and if not in the bonus (could do 6 times each half)...no problem, just take the ball out. If a foul is called and Zach was prevented from scoring then he goes to the line were he shoots 70% on the bonus or 2 shot fouls. Unfouled he probably hits 70% for 2 points. Fouled he has 70% chance for each FT or only 49% chance he hits both for 2 pts if he gets a two shot foul. So yeah...every single game Purdue plays, what post defense is allowed is important...especially since this one position only has a few seconds of clock and that the entire Purdue offense is built around Zach. This has been the game plan for a few games and has been obvious some of the intentional fouls...makes mathematical sense as well. 49% to make two from the line if called and 70% from the field if not fouled...and something lower if fouled, but not called. It is a key D against Purdue every game. That said there were other obvious means that led to Purdue losing, but make no mistake these teams that have beaten Purdue lately have employed similar approaches on D.

I've been busy and haven't looked at the stats and see there are 23 items since last Saturday morning of some reaction to something? IU shot very well and I haven't seen a better game out of IU this year and that goes for Schfino as well. Were there things Purdue could have done to change things? I believe so, but don't we all? Not sure what all could be done on the O other than we have some players that shouldn't shoot the 3 ball which has been true for some time, and some players that maybe should shoot a couple more. I would like to see Brandon get a start against Wisconsin. They play position D and Brandon wouldn't see the same pressure as some teams...and Brandon was much better on D than Ethan. Brandon's upside has more growth available and getting him some more minutes might be a spark that is needed. I might have rode Zach when TJD went out a bit, but we know why Matt took him out when TJD went out. Still you need to hit FTs when you get a chance and hit some FGs as well.

Defensively Purdue could have done a few things different I believe are far as adjustments. I have no problems with the initial approach. I like the early coverage on TJD, but Purdue went to the well too often and got burnt by the 3 ball. IU doesn't shoot as well and that looks like a great approach. I liked Caleb on TJD and Zach on Race or the other guy (freshman). I thought Purdue would force Schifino more baseline, but Brandon was the only one that gave a bit of a problem to Schifino with that and Schifino just basically went towards the baseline and came back up to get one of the two screeners to get into the lane. Schifino basically just used his size and the gap for a short floater that he was hitting at a high clip. This is another example that maybe in a given game the longer 2 doesn't find its level, but would over a season. I only recall him hitting one 3 ball. Could PUrdue have just went under the screens and see how his shooting was a bit farther? I mean he was deadly at 8 feet. What I would have like to have seen...perhaps not knowing any bette, was whether Caleb having about 4 inches on Schifino and pretty quick, could play him loose enough to contain a bit of the dribble enough that his length stopped those floaters and was still close enough for the boards...unless Schifino was scoring behind the arc...which there was no sign he could be as effective out there. He had no need to try that since he was effective at 8 feet and I suppose the thought was his floaters would find the level...even if they didn't.

There were baskets left on the court, not being strong with the ball, poor shooting, maybe doubling more than what was needed...but the single biggest problem was Schifino hitting mid-range floaters...and perhaps thinking the longer two would find its level, but didn't...

I've asked the question many times before without a response and there is no correct answer, but at what point if any point does a coach think the data in a given game is not following the metrics and goes by gut and possibly cuts out too early, or doesn't go by statistics and doesn't cut out with both possibly being wrong at different times... ;) I'll see what Matt had to say tomorrow hopefully

Last edited:
Are we citing scientific research on this board now? I wasn't aware that we'd started that :)

There's a difference between being in good shape and just being worn down, if you haven't experienced it I'm not sure I can explain it. Attached is the study I had seen, there are others.
Link: Let me know if you need that hug

PS - I agree, this team may just not be very good at shooting. Being bad shooters and being worn down are not mutually exclusive.
Do you think Purdue is any more worn down than any other team at this point in the season? If that were the case, then every teams would be shooting 20% from 3, unless they've got some magical conditioning program no one else knows about.
It's more likely that water is finding it's level and teams know how to defend Purdue.

Do you think Purdue is any more worn down than any other team at this point in the season? If that were the case, then every teams would be shooting 20% from 3, unless they've got some magical conditioning program no one else knows about.
It's more likely that water is finding it's level and teams know how to defend Purdue.
Yes, I think that 180 pound freshmen guards who have yet to spend a year in a Big Ten strength and nutrition program are much more apt to be worn down at this point than older guys who have been through it before or guys like JHS and Sensibaugh who have pro bodies as freshmen.

Again, I agree with your point that the shooting woes are by no means solely, or even primarily, due to fatigue.

Yes, I think that 180 pound freshmen guards who have yet to spend a year in a Big Ten strength and nutrition program are much more apt to be worn down at this point than older guys who have been through it before or guys like JHS and Sensibaugh who have pro bodies as freshmen.

Again, I agree with your point that the shooting woes are by no means solely, or even primarily, due to fatigue.
Every team has players banged up at this point. Purdue has been really lucky that the only person to miss any time were Gillis and I think Furst was sick for a game.
Again, the team had an entire week of probably relatively light practices leading up to the iu game. I think what you're seeing is other coaches employeeing defense that they've seen works on film because our guards don't handle it well (tight, physical, on ball D) and that's what's working.

Every team has players banged up at this point. Purdue has been really lucky that the only person to miss any time were Gillis and I think Furst was sick for a game.
Again, the team had an entire week of probably relatively light practices leading up to the iu game. I think what you're seeing is other coaches employeeing defense that they've seen works on film because our guards don't handle it well (tight, physical, on ball D) and that's what's working.
Edey, Newman, Morton.
I believe all due to sickness.
But Purdue has been fortunate this year and had any serous injuries.
I hope I didn't jinx us??

Edey, Newman, Morton.
I believe all due to sickness.
But Purdue has been fortunate this year and had any serous injuries.
I hope I didn't jinx us??

Wouldn’t make a difference if you did jinx us. Didn’t you hear? Injuries to key players don’t make a difference in the tournament. Good coaches win Nattys no matter who is injured.

Reactions: mathboy
That wasn't your question, you asked if I think that we're more worn down than other teams and I told you that I think that Braden and Fletcher are likely more worn down than more physically mature freshmen and older players.

Yes, agree that we've been fortunate (knock on wood) to avoid any major issues. Also agree that opposing coaches are generally having their players be as physical as possible with our guards because we've struggled to handle it. Again, not mutually exclusive to our freshmen being worn down. Hopefully the time off in front of the IU game and playing three games in 18 days prior to the BTT helps guys who need it rejuvenate. I'd hope that these guys are spending a lot of time on the PT room getting treatments over the next couple of weeks.

Mike Woodson was asked about whether he was worried TJD was being overused and getting tired after carrying the team in the B1G tourney last year,

Interviewer: "Trayce Jackson Davis, even though he played pretty heavy minutes yesterday, he responded with what I assume were pretty tired legs."
Woody: "Well hell, he's 20 years old. Shit, he should be able to respond. He's a young man."

Now mentally tired because it's a lot for a young player that hasn't been through it before? Yes, that I agree with.
Shows how senile Woodson is. TJD is actually 23! 😉

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Before the elite eight run Carsen Edwards shooting slump was partially attributed to a back issue, information that was kept close to the program until he had the time to recover - he had one of the most prolific tournaments in recent history. Y’all might not believe in tired legs, but dudes play with lingering injuries all season and it affects their play. Pretty silly to think it isn’t possible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT