ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody think Painter is contemplating a change at the 3?

Painter coached a horrible game. We were playing well up to the first TV timeout. And as he always does, replaced Furst. Furst was playing great. Four points, block, steal, couple rebounds, checking TJD. Seemed to loose the early mo at time. Then second half, allowed IU to go on a 12-0 run without calling a TO. Any good coach would call a TO after 8-0. Never let the opponent go 10-0. Painters substituting was terrible the entire game. Morton is completely useless. He is no defensive stopper or any kind of really good defense player. Gillis has not played well for several games. Getting too many minutes. Same with Morton.

Painter did not have them ready to start second half. Horrendous game management and adjustments. This loss is on Painter and no one else.
Gillis has not played well for several games, disagree with you there.

Painter is an avg recruiter. Look at where his recruiting classes rank. More often than not, outside the top 30. Stars matter.
Maybe we can take the iu approach and become "journeyman head coach University" with a revolving door of coaches. That must be the BESY way to land the 5-star athletic guards.......................

Reactions: depthcharge623
Maybe we can take the iu approach and become "journeyman head coach University" with a revolving door of coaches. That must be the BESY way to land the 5-star athletic guards.......................
Like every other business, the best way to procure the top product is cash on the barrel head…

Not all. I knew Braden was a player when I saw his AAU videos and he didn't disappear even when not scoring.
Certainly CE showed large in those games.
Matt's clearly stated that the bad years were when he went for the "better" players that had no stake in Purdue and acted like it.
He is and always will be a very paternal type coach and the reality is we usually get guys with a connection to the school in some way.
The loosiers have sucked for a decade and they STILL get 5 star guys dropping in their laps.
That doesn't happen here.
Does a player who leaves after 1 or 2 years for the NBA have a stake in Purdue?
Do you think Purdue will get back to a FF before iu does?

The recipe that basically every coach will use is to double the post, make Zach kick it out, leave Morton open and let him shoot at much as he wants. Close out hard on the 3 pt line and force the Purdue guards to put it on the floor. Unless the team collectively gets out of their 3 pt funk, it'll be an short tourney run.
Not sure what short tourney run is, but none of that is deadly unless the play on Zach is really physical where grabbing, pushing and holding make it difficult to catch and/or he gets pushed way out. Not calling it tighter inside takes a lot out of the Purdue O.

The recent OSU game shows a bit what happens if the inside is cleaned up. Part of the 3 ball shooting is that the wrong players are shooting "some" and in a close game that can make a difference. I've harped on it many times before. What is a good shot for some is not a good shot for everyone. Also, I want to believe that after playing Purdue once teams have a feel on what they need to do the next time. The losses are all similar with all the things you state AND a few more. No doubt all the losses will be studied in the tourney.

Braden showed none of the IU guards could prevent him from getting to the rim, but the problem was TJD was there to clean up the drive. I suspect that if Brandon gets increasingly more minutes by rebounding and solid D without throwing the ball away that his shooting % goes up as he gets more comfortable with more minutes. Throw out any percent comparions between Ethan and Brandon, because Brandon is a much better shooter who doesn't get the same looks as Ethan most of the time. There needs to be more out of the 3 and a little more consistenly out of the 4 offensively. I think an improvement in the 3, increases the chances for an improvement in the 2. Still, I wish that Purdue got more out of the 4 as well...however it is done...driving the ball, shooting open shots that are "for THAT person" a decent chance of a make...can you say Gillis only...

Do you think Painter's a good recruiter? Without even looking it up, I would bet that in his last 10 recruiting classes, he might have 1 in the top 20. Maybe 2. But, i bet at least 5 are ranked 30 or higher

Not sure what short tourney run is, but none of that is deadly unless the play on Zach is really physical where grabbing, pushing and holding make it difficult to catch and/or he gets pushed way out. Not calling it tighter inside takes a lot out of the Purdue O.

The recent OSU game shows a bit what happens if the inside is cleaned up. Part of the 3 ball shooting is that the wrong players are shooting "some" and in a close game that can make a difference. I've harped on it many times before. What is a good shot for some is not a good shot for everyone. Also, I want to believe that after playing Purdue once teams have a feel on what they need to do the next time. The losses are all similar with all the things you state AND a few more. No doubt all the losses will be studied in the tourney.

Braden showed none of the IU guards could prevent him from getting to the rim, but the problem was TJD was there to clean up the drive. I suspect that if Brandon gets increasingly more minutes by rebounding and solid D without throwing the ball away that his shooting % goes up as he gets more comfortable with more minutes. Throw out any percent comparions between Ethan and Brandon, because Brandon is a much better shooter who doesn't get the same looks as Ethan most of the time. There needs to be more out of the 3 and a little more consistenly out of the 4 offensively. I think an improvement in the 3, increases the chances for an improvement in the 2. Still, I wish that Purdue got more out of the 4 as well...however it is done...driving the ball, shooting open shots that are "for THAT person" a decent chance of a make...can you say Gillis only...
I like Furst at the 4. I'd like to see him be more aggressive on O. He runs well for a 6'10 guy and finishes well. Earlier in the year, he was getting out a lot more in transition. I realize we're not a transition team but we need all the easy buckets we can get right now.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
Do you think Painter's a good recruiter? Without even looking it up, I would bet that in his last 10 recruiting classes, he might have 1 in the top 20. Maybe 2. But, i bet at least 5 are ranked 30 or higher
He’s very good at recruiting within the rules.

It's also why you need to watch how guys perform in AAU. Yes, I realize AAU is sometimes glorified playground ball, but you're going to be facing a much higher caliber of athlete than you would in 90% of your high school career and these are the level of athlete you'll face in P5 teams. Morton is a really good example. Dominated his high schoool conference, struggled in AAU and that's pretty much held true at Purdue.
I don't have to watch anything other than Ethan shooting to know he is highly unlikely to be a legitimate threat behind the arc. Brandon I think can be a legitimate threat behinds the arc. I thought Brandon was the 3 man needed before the season. I see a capable shooter in Brandon and one that Matt has set up...was it NW to take a shot towars teh end of the game. He isn't setting up Ethan to do the same. Shooting percentages are not immune to other issues inside a team and inside a game. Ethan's best chance of scoring effectively is driving the ball even if playing below the rim.

I never watched an AAU game of Braden to know what he could do. I also don't think people understand the mindset in shooting when playing a 2 or a 3 "at Purdue" and that of a "1" at Purdue. When Zach leaves, I think we see an uptick in Braden's numbers as well since the wiring will be different. Can Purdue counter the D that was played in the losses...that is the question to be answered this season

Reactions: mryankee2397
I don't have to watch anything other than Ethan shooting to know he is highly unlikely to be a legitimate threat behind the arc. Brandon I think can be a legitimate threat behinds the arc. I thought Brandon was the 3 man needed before the season. I see a capable shooter in Brandon and one that Matt has set up...was it NW to take a shot towars teh end of the game. He isn't setting up Ethan to do the same. Shooting percentages are not immune to other issues inside a team and inside a game. Ethan's best chance of scoring effectively is driving the ball even if playing below the rim.

I never watched an AAU game of Braden to know what he could do. I also don't think people understand the mindset in shooting when playing a 2 or a 3 "at Purdue" and that of a "1" at Purdue. When Zach leaves, I think we see an uptick in Braden's numbers as well since the wiring will be different. Can Purdue counter the D that was played in the losses...that is the question to be answered this season
are you interchanging Brandon with Braden? Having a hard time following. But I agree, Newman needs more minutes. Morton's starting to deliver diminishing returns.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I like Furst at the 4. I'd like to see him be more aggressive on O. He runs well for a 6'10 guy and finishes well. Earlier in the year, he was getting out a lot more in transition. I realize we're not a transition team but we need all the easy buckets we can get right now.
THAT is his game...getting quick downs, garbage baskets off boards and passes from Zach out of a double. He needs more offensive skills as does Trey...who maybe drives the ball better? He needs to not turn his wrist sideways when he shoots sometimes, but he needs to be a much greater offensive threat. He was Mr. Basketball and he needs improved skills to really be a handful, because shooting 3 pt shots or living at the FT line is not a friend today...same with Trey.

are you interchanging Brandon with Braden? Having a hard time following. But I agree, Newman needs more minutes. Morton's starting to deliver diminishing returns.
Not all all...just pointing out that Braden can get to the rim against every team he has played...not every possession, but through picking and choosing mostly. Braden's shooting percent will go up when Zach leaves I believe. The 1 at Purdue has to have a different mindset than many 1s at other places and scoring is a last resort instead of a second or third resort. I'm more concerned at the 3 and 4 than I am at the 1 and 2. The three and 4 are older and should be providing more. If they do, I think we see the 2 improve in shooting as well.

That's an excuse. Do you think Jay Wright cheats? Tony Bennett?
Not an excuse. Facts. Educate yourself son.

Do you think Sean Miller and Will Wade are better recruiters than Painter? They have had higher ranked classes, so they must be.

Not an excuse. Facts. Educate yourself son.

Do you think Sean Miller and Will Wade are better recruiters than Painter? They have had higher ranked classes, so they must be.
If you look at the Top 20 recruiting classes over the last 10 years, what % of those coaches do you think cheated?

Yes, but that wasn't the question. I'm sure some do, but I don't think it's nearly as rampant as you'd like to believe. If it were, the coaches not cheating would be calling it out
Do you think schools are cheating with NIL money?

Do you think schools are cheating with NIL money?
I think the NIL money was such a screw up by the NCAA and that the lines between what is legal or illegal are so blurred that almost nothing and almost everything could be constituted as cheating.
For example, NIL money isn't supposed to be used as a recruiting tool or incentive, but I can guarantee, every school (including Purdue) knows the loopholes of how to use it for this purpose. It's essentially created a free agent market for top college players. And yes, I think coaches (including Painter) work with those private groups that control the NIL $ on how to allocate it.

Gillis has not played well for several games, disagree with you there.
This may sound like I am trying to make an excuse for Gillis (am not) but take it however you wish as it was reported as factual

Gillis either didn't practice all last week or very limited due to back pain / problem

Depends on who the coach is, and what system he has in place to "showcase" the kids talent.

Not w/the current, decades old "feed the post, kick it out" to an open shooter.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I think the NIL money was such a screw up by the NCAA and that the lines between what is legal or illegal are so blurred that almost nothing and almost everything could be constituted as cheating.
For example, NIL money isn't supposed to be used as a recruiting tool or incentive, but I can guarantee, every school (including Purdue) knows the loopholes of how to use it for this purpose. It's essentially created a free agent market for top college players. And yes, I think coaches (including Painter) work with those private groups that control the NIL $ on how to allocate it.
Proof ?

Start Gillis and Newman and there is nobody to double off of.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Actually, that was my starting five guess before the season. I thought Mason complimented Zach better than the other two. I thought Brandon did as well at the 3. When it didn't happen, I thought Matt was just trying to keep an offensive team with Brandon when subbed.

I also thought that playing Caleb and Trey might open up the court better for Ethan since I thought he would be able to drive the ball some in that lineup.

Reactions: proudopete

It does seem like Newman is shooting better than Morton right now (too lazy to look at the numbers), but do people forget how cold Newman was all of last year?

I don’t think Morton is a bad shooter, I think he’s just in his own head, similar to how Newman was last year.

It would probably make sense to give Newman more minutes right now and Morton less, but it won’t be a magical solution. Newman could get cold too, just like Morton could get hot.

It does seem like Newman is shooting better than Morton right now (too lazy to look at the numbers), but do people forget how cold Newman was all of last year?

I don’t think Morton is a bad shooter, I think he’s just in his own head, similar to how Newman was last year.

It would probably make sense to give Newman more minutes right now and Morton less, but it won’t be a magical solution. Newman could get cold too, just like Morton could get hot.
From 3 this season:

Morton - 28%
Newman - 33%

What lead you to believe Morton isn't a "bad shooter"? This is his third year at Purdue and he's made 72 baskets in 89 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonefish1

It’s not just shooting, it’s defense as well. While Newman didn’t stop Hood-Shifino by any means, he at least stayed with him and turned him over a couple times and seemed to make him give it up more than Morton. He also did a better job on Buie than Morton at NW. For being “Purdue’s best defender”, Morton has been giving up big numbers to a lot of guys this season and a few game winners on his watch too.

Brandon's mechanics are much better than Ethan's. Brandon has things in place that "offer an opportunity" to shoot better than Ethan should. Ethan is a better ball handler (passing and dribbling), but athleticism, rebounds and shooting belongs to Brandon and a potential increase in scoring is higher with Brandon. I can't speak to Brandon's off ball defense this year, but he has been solid on the ball. Whether Brandon improves his shooting % I don't know, but he can and offers some other things...just go to cut down needless errors with the ball as he sometimes gets in autopilot with the ball.

Reactions: Boileratthebeach

When has Morton ever gotten hot? What's his career high? Every coach in the B10 would love for Morton to put up 12-15 shots, knowing there's a high likelihood he misses most of them.

At least Newman's a threat to got 6-10 from 3 and put in 20+ pts, he's done it before.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
ADVERTISEMENT