ADVERTISEMENT

A quiet "rant."

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
I dropped by here for the first time in a week. I have lost a TON of interest in what is going on with Boiler Basketball. Not due to my loss of any allegiance or loyalty or passion. I am a Boiler until I die!!! But due to a combination of "it's summer" and of "we are going to buy players." I both hate the implications and love the philosophy. Will it cause me to have less joy the next few winters? I'm sure it will. I wish two leagues would be created. Those schools with over $X dollars in the NIL account and those who didn't have that much. Kind of a semi-pro league and a college basketball league. But that won't happen. So, my boilers will play some semi-pro teams and I will watch ... and accept that we are still a college basketball team.

I dropped by here for the first time in a week. I have lost a TON of interest in what is going on with Boiler Basketball. Not due to my loss of any allegiance or loyalty or passion. I am a Boiler until I die!!! But due to a combination of "it's summer" and of "we are going to buy players." I both hate the implications and love the philosophy. Will it cause me to have less joy the next few winters? I'm sure it will. I wish two leagues would be created. Those schools with over $X dollars in the NIL account and those who didn't have that much. Kind of a semi-pro league and a college basketball league. But that won't happen. So, my boilers will play some semi-pro teams and I will watch ... and accept that we are still a college basketball team.
I think everyone feels the same on this issue. With all the rule changes (making the game more like the NBA and less like college ball), I've been watching less & less every year. While I will still follow next years team, it may be my last. I expect more schools to take the Miami route next off season & be able to offer high dollar to players. With that, I expect almost everyone to enter the portal next year... why wouldn't you if you were a college player that could get high dollar. When that happens, I'm out.

I'd honestly love to see something like that, and my support/interest in Purdue wouldn't drop off if they were a step down from the big boys.

Reactions: indyogb
We may have a down year this season but we have some really good players who will be wearing Gold and Black the next few years who will probably make you feel better.

Exactly. For example Purdue Twitter just posted Caleb Furst was only Freshman in country to shoot 50/40/70 and score 100 points and grab 100 rebounds last year. The fact he did it all on a bad foot after news he is out for the summer with foot surgery makes it even more impressive.

Next year will surely be a step back, but the cupboard is far from bare. Need an additional ball handler or two to supplement Smith and Morton and it will be fun to sit back and watch this next wave of talented Boilermakers step up and develop over the course of the season.

The version of "NIL" that's been discussed this past month isn't going to be the version going forward. IMHO, Purdue athletics saw the writing on the wall for future NIL rules / laws and chose not to participate in the free-for-all that is has been after the tournament. I, finally, got to watch the Goodman / Hummel / Painter / Dickinson video and came away from it further cemented that Painter knows changes in rules are coming.....but doesn't know how or who from. Too many important people have to get upset first and we are right in the process of seeing the "right" people being vocal against the free-for-all, pay for play.

It will all shake out in the next year and we will continue to get great kids that are excellent athletes that want a Purdue degree.

The version of "NIL" that's been discussed this past month isn't going to be the version going forward. IMHO, Purdue athletics saw the writing on the wall for future NIL rules / laws and chose not to participate in the free-for-all that is has been after the tournament. I, finally, got to watch the Goodman / Hummel / Painter / Dickinson video and came away from it further cemented that Painter knows changes in rules are coming.....but doesn't know how or who from. Too many important people have to get upset first and we are right in the process of seeing the "right" people being vocal against the free-for-all, pay for play.

It will all shake out in the next year and we will continue to get great kids that are excellent athletes that want a Purdue degree.
Just sit right back and watch the enforcement arm of the NCAA go to work...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
That's great!

It will have to come from people higher up than Officer Fife. At the end of the day, universities are for higher education. If the idea is to give these athletes "market rate" bonuses, then leagues already exist for that purpose and those interested in supporting athletes financially can simply do so outside of the educational environment. It's going to change as too many entities are going to get screwed worse than how it was before.

That's great!

It will have to come from people higher up than Officer Fife. At the end of the day, universities are for higher education. If the idea is to give these athletes "market rate" bonuses, then leagues already exist for that purpose and those interested in supporting athletes financially can simply do so outside of the educational environment. It's going to change as too many entities are going to get screwed worse than how it was before.
A lot of programs might get screwed over, but it is the ones on top of the heap who hold the power. Or else they will split from the NCAA and take their money with. University presidents of the schools with high value athletic departments have already made their peace with the separation of academic pursuits and athletic revenue interests.

A lot of programs might get screwed over, but it is the ones on top of the heap who hold the power. Or else they will split from the NCAA and take their money with. University presidents of the schools with high value athletic departments have already made their peace with the separation of academic pursuits and athletic revenue interests.

Essentially, the $$$$$$ got too big to avoid the inevitable schism. I really don't know where exactly this is headed or where it will end up, but the momentum is starting to take over. It's a different world now.

Exactly. For example Purdue Twitter just posted Caleb Furst was only Freshman in country to shoot 50/40/70 and score 100 points and grab 100 rebounds last year. The fact he did it all on a bad foot after news he is out for the summer with foot surgery makes it even more impressive.

Next year will surely be a step back, but the cupboard is far from bare. Need an additional ball handler or two to supplement Smith and Morton and it will be fun to sit back and watch this next wave of talented Boilermakers step up and develop over the course of the season.
"Need an additional ball handler or two to supplement Smith and Morton and it will be fun to sit back and watch this next wave of talented Boilermakers step up and develop over the course of the season."

There I fixed it for you.

Essentially, the $$$$$$ got too big to avoid the inevitable schism. I really don't know where exactly this is headed or where it will end up, but the momentum is starting to take over. It's a different world now.

How is it going to be any different than the way it is now? The pay-for-player programs just get to be open with it now, that's the only real difference.

Reactions: Schnelk
as it was pointed out earlier. if our younger players play up to their hype, there will be some other school offering NIL money to lure them away. Why play for only a scholarship when you can make $1 million?

as somebody else said, a lot of the elite players won't stay long enough to get a degree, so why stay at a tough academic school like purdue?

Isn’t that the best part of it all? I love to watch the players grow from game to game and season to season. The team may change some but we have some really nice pieces over the next three classes that can grow into quite a team.

How is it going to be any different than the way it is now? The pay-for-player programs just get to be open with it now, that's the only real difference.

Perhaps - but of course, the NCAA states it's not supposed to be pay-to-play. ;)

I was thinking more about the change in balance for institutions concerning resources for athletics and academics. Early returns seem to indicate it will definitely lean more to athletics - it already has with collectives and other actions - even though that $$$$ is coming from outside, it is still associated with the institution through athletes. To the extent Purdue creates an environment for fostering resources, I expect it will be deliberate in its assessment, IMHO.

I expect the "rules" will continue to evolve......the enforcement? who really knows for sure....

giphy.gif

I honestly think part of this will include a restructure/reimagining of the NCAA. The president is already on his way out, and I think the conference commissioners will have more of a say going forward. I'd also love to see them bring in more of those that actually understand the games involved ... coaches and past players especially.

Painter even mentioned this in the interview ... that he was one of the only ones on the commission for the transfer rule that actually had any idea of how it would impact the coaches and players specifically. The rest were all probably more worried about potential lawsuits and couldn't really put themselves in those shoes.

Personally I see a bigger issue with the one-time transfer vs. NIL. I also think the 'collectives' are more troubling vs. NIL deals from big boosters (or their companies) that would feed the money under the table anyway. Collectives just give a 'legal' avenue for those that either didn't want to do that, or didn't have enough money to do it ... so just extra money available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT