ADVERTISEMENT

7 pts.........

PU pit bull

All-American
Dec 4, 2011
2 losses to 2 top 20 teams. Away from home. 7 games in...……..let's slit our wrists. Wasn't the opinion that this younger team would have a rocky road this season? Correct some shaky play, get past some shaky officiating, and you have an undefeated season. But let's throw them under the bus. Makes sense. Who can't handle these games? the team...…..or some of the "fans"?

2 losses to 2 top 20 teams. Away from home. 7 games in...……..let's slit our wrists. Wasn't the opinion that this younger team would have a rocky road this season? Correct some shaky play, get past some shaky officiating, and you have an undefeated season. But let's throw them under the bus. Makes sense. Who can't handle these games? the team...…..or some of the "fans"?
I have said all along not all Purdue fans or alumni are the same...…

I used to say hello and speak with all of them...….not anymore.

Now they have to prove they are positive supporters of Purdue and our student athletes for me to even acknowledge them.....too many sore losers and whiners and fair weather fans and alumni.

This is a young team finding it's way and we need games like this to find out more about who can contribute and who cannot...…

Miss a few less free throws, few less turnovers and we win on the road against a ranked team.

We found out Sasha can contribute with his 3pt shot, defensive length and always 110% effort.

Now we just need Hunter, Wheeler and Williams to catch up to game speed and we will have more options.

Excited to see this team grow......Boiler Up!

This was one in many tough losses that I have witnessed over the span of many years. Sure, I'm disappointed in the outcome of the game. I even got into a bottle of scotch I had hidden in the house.. But look, I knew that from the beginning of the year that there would be games like this. Doesn't make it any less painful . It all goes away after the next victory.

NOW LETS GO UP THERE AND BEAT MICHIGAN !

The issue is that we currently have no signature non conference wins. That basically means we have to win at Texas in order to get one. Not having this type of win in march could cost us a tournament appearance.

The issue is that we currently have no signature non conference wins. That basically means we have to win at Texas in order to get one. Not having this type of win in march could cost us a tournament appearance.

With 20 conference games this year, there are fewer opportunities for this type of win. I'm not overly concerned about it with the apparent strength of the Big Ten this year. Seven teams are ranked in the top 25 for the first time since the late 90s, with 3 more receiving votes... That's absurd. We will have plenty of opportunities for signature wins.

Reactions: studed and Roeder
The BIG 10 was NOT looking good last night. While we had 7 teams ranked in the top 25, I doubt after last night that we have 4 ranked next week. Purdue was NOT the only ranked BIG 10 team to lose last night. As the non-conference losses by BIG 10 teams increases, the supposed strength and reputation of the BIG 10 will decrease. and this will make our conference games basically meaningless.

At some point in time , we need all of our BIG 10 teams to start winning meaningful non-conference games. If not, we will become like the MVC and have several teams with 20 wins and being on the outside looking in much like last year.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
With 20 conference games this year, there are fewer opportunities for this type of win. I'm not overly concerned about it with the apparent strength of the Big Ten this year. Seven teams are ranked in the top 25 for the first time since the late 90s, with 3 more receiving votes... That's absurd. We will have plenty of opportunities for signature wins.
A lot of those ranked teams fell last night. Even then, there would still be no good non con wins. The committee factors that in. Given how much tougher our conference schedule is than other teams, we need as many signature non con wins as we can get.

The BIg 10 was NOT looking good last night. While we had 7 teams ranked I n the top 25, I doubt after last night that we have 4 ranked next week. Purdue was NOT the only BIG 10 team to lose. As the non-conference losses by BIG 10 teams increases, the supposed strength and reputation of the BIG 10 will decrease. and this will make our conference games basically meaningless.

At some point in time , we need all of our BIG 10 teams to start winning meaningful non-conference games. If not, we will become like the MVC and have several teams with 20 wins and being on the outside looking in much like last year.

Michigan is doing its part, and to one of your points.....ranked Big Ten teams losing in the challenge (Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, and Maryland - two on their home court - two to unranked teams). The Boilers still have some good non-conf opportunities left......we shall see. I think the conference top-to-bottom is better, but who knows when it all shakes out come tournament time - maybe they get one more team in the field than last year......way to early to tell. There seem to be more up-and-down teams this year, but it appears more competitive.

The Boilers have their work cut out for them. I'll be really interested in how they play Saturday in Ann Arbor.

It's dumb to moan and groan. We're coming off a season we lost 4....basically 4 year starters. To act like we're just gonna go on and play like an experienced team is a joke.

How we lost is certainly frustrating, but guess what....we have inexperienced guys out there because we don't have 4 senior starters. Inexperience typically doesn't equal clutch.

It's dumb to moan and groan. We're coming off a season we lost 4....basically 4 year starters. To act like we're just gonna go on and play like an experienced team is a joke.

How we lost is certainly frustrating, but guess what....we have inexperienced guys out there because we don't have 4 senior starters. Inexperience typically doesn't equal clutch.

The problem is that many key mistakes were made by our two most experienced players in Carsen and Cline. Most are on Carsen - you just can't have 8 turnovers as a NPOY candidate, and they were bad turnovers in the first half especially.

Cline had a great game other than the end when he went into fetal position as though there were 3 seconds instead of 16. Really poor thought process there & you expect better out of a senior.

This is still a good team & much further along than I thought they'd be at this point, but we need to win at least 2 of the next 4 if we want to make the tournament.

This was one in many tough losses that I have witnessed over the span of many years. Sure, I'm disappointed in the outcome of the game. I even got into a bottle of scotch I had hidden in the house.. But look, I knew that from the beginning of the year that there would be games like this. Doesn't make it any less painful . It all goes away after the next victory.

NOW LETS GO UP THERE AND BEAT MICHIGAN !

I actually don't think the timing of the Michigan game is a bad thing. Purdue is coming off a tough loss and Michigan is coming off a big win. Plus, Carsen has to be a little salty after not putting that game away at the FT line. Might be a good time to steal one.

The problem is that many key mistakes were made by our two most experienced players in Carsen and Cline. Most are on Carsen - you just can't have 8 turnovers as a NPOY candidate, and they were bad turnovers in the first half especially.

Cline had a great game other than the end when he went into fetal position as though there were 3 seconds instead of 16. Really poor thought process there & you expect better out of a senior.

This is still a good team & much further along than I thought they'd be at this point, but we need to win at least 2 of the next 4 if we want to make the tournament.

Look, I said it going into this season a million times. As good as Carsen is, he wasn't "the man" last season - he had 4 guys around him that could all be double-digit scorers. He's in a very different position this year. He has to learn how to adjust to being the focus of teams - he's racked up assists, but other times he makes some very poor decisions/forced things. He may be racking up a good number of points but it's certainly not efficient.

That being said, his teammates have to step up. 1. We need a 3rd guy who can score. Carsen and Cline are the two guys doing that and they are the only real experienced guys. Until we get a guy or two that steps up, it's going to be touch and go. 2. Our defense isn't bad, but it's not great. This will come with time - and technically, both should.

As for Cline, I'm not going to point a finger at him because he's far exceeded my expectations so far this year and really is the reason we haven't lost other games. He's stepped up and provided consistent scoring. We really need one other guy to step up and if Ryan keeps it up, it will really take some pressure off of Carsen.

Reactions: SKYDOG and BBG

The frustration I think is these 2 were winnable games. NCAA reseme building games that slipped away... from a team that might need those if they end up as a possible bubble team.

The frustration I think is these 2 were winnable games. NCAA reseme building games that slipped away... from a team that might need those if they end up as a possible bubble team.

I agree. It is a fine line. But in no way is this team as bad as some say 7 games in. I understand that there are those who have agendas on here...….and that will never change. But, damn, a few more shots, FTs, less TOs, better officiating, etc. and this team is undefeated. This is a good team, so far, and to say otherwise is just not logical. It is frustrating, but this was to be expected, and everyone accepted that notion preseason. Fast forward, and now you have the bashers out in full force....smh.

Again, like someone else said, we knew there are going to be games like this. I even remember someone saying teams will focus on Carsen more and we have to figure things out. Seems that is what we are doing. How can you be dissapointed in a loss on an away court, against a number 15 and the bogus call at the end?

Again, like someone else said, we knew there are going to be games like this. I even remember someone saying teams will focus on Carsen more and we have to figure things out. Seems that is what we are doing. How can you be dissapointed in a loss on an away court, against a number 15 and the bogus call at the end?
Bogus call?

I get there will be growing pains. That doesnt change that we need a signature non conference win to make the tournament. If we dont beat Texas or Notre Dame, we might as well put all of our focus on winning the BTT.

Bogus call?

I get there will be growing pains. That doesnt change that we need a signature non conference win to make the tournament. If we dont beat Texas or Notre Dame, we might as well put all of our focus on winning the BTT.

Pretty sure they called a foul against Carsen and then took that away . We should of been at the line.

Pretty sure they called a foul against Carsen and then took that away . We should of been at the line.
We should have been at the line anyways if our Senior guard didnt get tied up.

There are a lot of "What Ifs" that could have happened. They didnt.

It wasnt a bad loss by any means. It could have been a desperately needed win.

I have said all along not all Purdue fans or alumni are the same...…

I used to say hello and speak with all of them...….not anymore.

Now they have to prove they are positive supporters of Purdue and our student athletes for me to even acknowledge them.....too many sore losers and whiners and fair weather fans and alumni.

This is a young team finding it's way and we need games like this to find out more about who can contribute and who cannot...…

Miss a few less free throws, few less turnovers and we win on the road against a ranked team.

We found out Sasha can contribute with his 3pt shot, defensive length and always 110% effort.

Now we just need Hunter, Wheeler and Williams to catch up to game speed and we will have more options.

Excited to see this team grow......Boiler Up!

Thank you for the positive post! I completely agree 100%.

We should have been at the line anyways if our Senior guard didnt get tied up.

There are a lot of "What Ifs" that could have happened. They didnt.

It wasnt a bad loss by any means. It could have been a desperately needed win.

WOuld of been a nice win for sure, but as upset as I get sometimes, they fought their way back and they showed what they can do. I think Sasha might have earned a starting spot.

I actually don't think the timing of the Michigan game is a bad thing. Purdue is coming off a tough loss and Michigan is coming off a big win. Plus, Carsen has to be a little salty after not putting that game away at the FT line. Might be a good time to steal one.

But I thought tough team get hungry after tough loss.. just like Ohio St lose to Purdue in football

Look, I said it going into this season a million times. As good as Carsen is, he wasn't "the man" last season - he had 4 guys around him that could all be double-digit scorers. He's in a very different position this year. He has to learn how to adjust to being the focus of teams - he's racked up assists, but other times he makes some very poor decisions/forced things. He may be racking up a good number of points but it's certainly not efficient.

That being said, his teammates have to step up. 1. We need a 3rd guy who can score. Carsen and Cline are the two guys doing that and they are the only real experienced guys. Until we get a guy or two that steps up, it's going to be touch and go. 2. Our defense isn't bad, but it's not great. This will come with time - and technically, both should.

As for Cline, I'm not going to point a finger at him because he's far exceeded my expectations so far this year and really is the reason we haven't lost other games. He's stepped up and provided consistent scoring. We really need one other guy to step up and if Ryan keeps it up, it will really take some pressure off of Carsen.
It probably could be 2 others that can help put points on the score board but if you watching the games those 2 are not involved in the offense enough. Run plays for others maybe there will be 4/5 guys in double figures most nights.

It probably could be 2 others that can help put points on the score board but if you watching the games those 2 are not involved in the offense enough. Run plays for others maybe there will be 4/5 guys in double figures most nights.

I'd like to see Boudreaux get more minutes and Haarms more involved - I think they can take off some defensive pressure from Carsen (who doesn't have height) particularly who's having turnover problems. Having Vince/Haas last year really cleared the way for Carsen.

You seem to be blaming the coach - players are getting opportunities, but they also have to put themselves in those positions to. We have a freshman reserve (7th man) who shot three 3 pointers last night. And look at Boudreaux - the guy is coming off the bench and had good contributions in both the FSU/VA Tech games. He had 8 rebounds - 3 offensive in 18 minutes, drew a ton of fouls and had 0 turnovers. Again, he's the most experienced guy after Cline/Carsen, so the experience is definitely still a factor and I expect it to improve over time.

We had 20 turnovers last night - 16 of them from 3 players - 8 from Carsen, 4 from Cline and 4 from Eastern. We aren't going to win many games against ranked opponents with 20 turnovers either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT