ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Harrison Ingram

North Carolina has a strong academic reputation. I don't take individual college rankings particularly as gospel but both Forbes and US News have North Carolina ranked quite a bit higher than Purdue.

You might respond by pointing to their recent academic issues within their athletic programs but the reality is it is a good school and if an athlete wanted to get a quality education, he/she could get it at UNC. Its just like at Purdue. Most of Purdue's basketball players are majoring in Organizational Leadership which isn't the most challenging program at Purdue.

As someone pointed out in a previous post, his list includes some really good academic schools, I wonder what he is planning on majoring in?

My guess is an engineering/science field based on his school choice.

While this article is a bit dated, it gives an insight into the family and how academics have always been important. It doesn't say what he wants to major in, but it also probably shows why Purdue is on the list - Painter is the family's type of guy. Of course, it isn't the parents making the choice. I'm sure now that he's the prospect he is vs in 2017, it's a strong push/pull on what this article talks about and basketball.

https://theundefeated.com/features/...otential-pro-the-other-at-middlebury-college/

I wonder if Painter already knows whether Purdue still is a serious landing spot for Ingram?

My guess is an engineering/science field based on his school choice.

While this article is a bit dated, it gives an insight into the family and how academics have always been important. It doesn't say what he wants to major in, but it also probably shows why Purdue is on the list - Painter is the family's type of guy. Of course, it isn't the parents making the choice. I'm sure now that he's the prospect he is vs in 2017, it's a strong push/pull on what this article talks about and basketball.

https://theundefeated.com/features/...otential-pro-the-other-at-middlebury-college/

Thanks for the article. It gives more insight into his decision than anything else written in the thread. Seems like he comes from of a family that truly understands the value of a good education. The fact that his brother went to Middlebury College in Vermont and they are from Texas tells you a lot. For those of you that don't follow this type of thing, Middlebury is one of the best Liberal Arts Colleges in the country. They do their homework.

People give Painter grief for not landing the top guys but in this case it seems like the main reason Purdue would be part of this elite list of schools is Painter.

Reactions: Schnelk and mathboy
I wonder if Painter already knows whether Purdue still is a serious landing spot for Ingram?

I don't know but seems to be the dream recruit for Painter. He appears to take his education seriously and is still making his choice based in part on academics. Most guys rated this high are thinking one and done. Academics don't really matter.

Reactions: mathboy
I don't know but seems to be the dream recruit for Painter. He appears to take his education seriously and is still making his choice based in part on academics. Most guys rated this high are thinking one and done. Academics don't really matter.

I'm not sure it's the academic part that makes him a dream recruit for Painter (obviously if he is interested in engineering, it helps but as his final list shows - there's a lot of very good engineering schools, even just in the Big Ten). In the article, it paints a pretty clear picture that the stereotypical AAU scene is not their cup of tea - I think that makes him more of a Painter recruit than academics.

Reactions: SCBoiler1

I'm sure every recruit is very different.

There's recruits that narrow lists to 5 but there's really only 2 legit contenders. I think those coaches typically know if they are or aren't (i.e. if a kid is just sporadically getting back to you, do you think he's about to commit to you?). But there's truly kids that make up their mind the day they announce. No way those coaches know or not. And certainly there's kids that change their minds very quickly too. You could be the top choice at the beginning of the week, and 3 days later you're not. Hello, teenagers!

I'm sure every recruit is very different.

There's recruits that narrow lists to 5 but there's really only 2 legit contenders. I think those coaches typically know if they are or aren't (i.e. if a kid is just sporadically getting back to you, do you think he's about to commit to you?). But there's truly kids that make up their mind the day they announce. No way those coaches know or not. And certainly there's kids that change their minds very quickly too. You could be the top choice at the beginning of the week, and 3 days later you're not. Hello, teenagers!

It's interesting that none of his 5 are close to home and within driving distance for friends/family to be able to see him play.
But then again, there's been a bunch of recruits from Indy, Ft Wayne or the Region that turned down Purdue so maybe proximity to home doesn't matter.

It's interesting that none of his 5 are close to home and within driving distance for friends/family to be able to see him play.
But then again, there's been a bunch of recruits from Indy, Ft Wayne or the Region that turned down Purdue so maybe proximity to home doesn't matter.
Or maybe, it matters to some and not others. Stop trying to think every recruit is the same and thinks in a vacuum.

Reactions: mathboy
Painter's tell is that he usually offers a kid out of the blue that plays the same position, in the same year group, as the blue chip we are vying for.

(i.e. Carsen Edwards for Zay Simpson, Matt Haarms for Malik Williams)

I haven't seen any new 2021 wing offers.

Last edited:
Painter's tell is that he usually offers a kid out of the blue that plays the same position, in the same year group, as the blue chip we are vying for.

(i.e. Carsen Edwards for Zay Simpson, Matt Haarms for Malik Williams)

I haven't seen any new 2021 wing offers.

Maybe Painter feels that Kaufman (or Wesley) would be next in line if Ingram commits elsewhere.

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13
Maybe Painter feels that Kaufman (or Wesley) would be next in line if Ingram commits elsewhere.

I know I'm wildly speculating, but usually Painter makes a new off-radar offer late in decision timeline if he feels he is losing out. Kaufman was offered pretty early, so that doesn't concern me with respect to Ingram.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I know I'm wildly speculating, but usually Painter makes a new off-radar offer late in decision timeline if he feels he is losing out. Kaufman was offered pretty early, so that doesn't concern me with respect to Ingram.
Seems like he would be happy pairing any of Wesley, Kaufman, or Ingram with Furst, and doesn’t need to reach with the scholarship if he misses on all 3, based on the talent already on the roster. Which also might mean he likes where he stands with 2022 recruits.

Purdue has more to offer than just engineering in terms of STEM education but the list of accolades are too numerous to dive into, just have to hope that he doesn’t want to pursue liberal arts or social science programs if the decision comes down to academics.

Recent update on Kaufman. Going to be a dogfight but if we can sell him on the combo of him and Furst playing side by side.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-trey-kaufman
I think the big thing is selling them on big minutes as Freshmen. After their Freshmen year, Tre will be gone, so Furst can play the 5 and Kaufman can play the 4. I think you have to try to sell Kaufman on playing the 3 as a Freshman.

We could start Hunter, Ivey, Kaufman, Furst, and Tre. As the game goes on, Kaufman would slide to the 4 when either Furst or Tre are out, and then we could go 3 guards when one of those 3 are out as well.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think the big thing is selling them on big minutes as Freshmen. After their Freshmen year, Tre will be gone, so Furst can play the 5 and Kaufman can play the 4. I think you have to try to sell Kaufman on playing the 3 as a Freshman.

We could start Hunter, Ivey, Kaufman, Furst, and Tre. As the game goes on, Kaufman would slide to the 4 when either Furst or Tre are out, and then we could go 3 guards when one of those 3 are out as well.

I am really high on Sasha's development, so it's hard for me to see Kaufman starting over a 5th year Sasha in Painter's 3 guard set.

Well laid out argument.

Do you think the AD or Admin reply to the question of why they don't invest more in the BB is because they don't have the money?
And if it really is a money issue, do you think it's because PU alumni don't support athletics financially?
Or is that with the big money coming in from BTN, that more of that money is disproportionately allocated to football?
Do we know if any of the BTN money goes outside the AD? (I know there were rumors that Cordova used BTN money for things other than athletics).

If the case is that not enough alumni provide $ support, then is the school not doing a good job of building interest in PU athletics while people are students so that they'll develop a love of and financially support PU athletics when they graduate?

Bingo!!!! My wife and I are both Purdue grads but have never given a penny to support Purdue sports. When we give, we support the Music organizations, academic programs, and Purdue’s cancer research center! My thoughts are Purdue sports should be supported by Purdue athletes and the BIG 10 network. If we were to support Purdue sports, it would be for a new indoor track facility!

With Eastern now committed to Howard, and almost certainly having to sit one to play one in '21-'22, I wonder if that will influence Ingram's decision at all? They could certainly play together as they would assuredly be the two most talented players on the team, assuming Maker is a one and done.

With Eastern now committed to Howard, and almost certainly having to sit one to play one in '21-'22, I wonder if that will influence Ingram's decision at all? They could certainly play together as they would assuredly be the two most talented players on the team, assuming Maker is a one and done.

Unsubscribe. o_O

Reactions: Schnelk
Sasha was 21/54 (39%) inside the arc last season. He was 64/167 (38%) from 3. I didn't miss anything. He isn't good inside the arc.
Hope you don’t mind, but I do disagree with your opinion. Sasha did not drive that often, but when he did he was pretty quick and very crafty in his moves. I think the stat you are looking at is influenced by some end-of-shot-clock heaves that were inside the arch, but not drives. I can’t prove that. It is just as good as your opinion, but with a little less statistical evidence.

:cool:

39% seems respectable.
39% from 2 is terrible. It’s a good percentage from 3, but dreadful from 2.
Hope you don’t mind, but I do disagree with your opinion. Sasha did not drive that often, but when he did he was pretty quick and very crafty in his moves. I think the stat you are looking at is influenced by some end-of-shot-clock heaves that were inside the arch, but not drives. I can’t prove that. It is just as good as your opinion, but with a little less statistical evidence.

:cool:
I don’t recall Sasha taking last second heaves from inside the arc. He just isn’t good in that area.

He’s a shooter (a really good one). Not so great at anything else.

Sasha was 21/54 (39%) inside the arc last season. He was 64/167 (38%) from 3. I didn't miss anything. He isn't good inside the arc.

I know SS gets compared to Mathias a lot, but SS definitely has a little bit more of a dribble penetration to his game than Mathias. I didn't say he was Carsen Edwards, I just said he had a little more diversity in his offensive game than Mathias.

I know SS gets compared to Mathias a lot, but SS definitely has a little bit more of a dribble penetration to his game than Mathias. I didn't say he was Carsen Edwards, I just said he had a little more diversity in his offensive game than Mathias.
Mathias was better inside the arc than Sasha. As a true sophomore Mathias went 20/43 (47%) from inside the arc. As a 3rd year in the program player (like Sasha last year), Dakota was 46/92 (50%) from inside the arc. There really is no comparison.

Sasha is much closer to Cline than he is to Mathias.

I remember in one of the articles he talked about not wanting to attend a school that cheats. If that's the case North Carolina is not in the mix anymore. I still say Kaufman is going to be the better player go a 110 on him

Mathias was better inside the arc than Sasha. As a true sophomore Mathias went 20/43 (47%) from inside the arc. As a 3rd year in the program player (like Sasha last year), Dakota was 46/92 (50%) from inside the arc. There really is no comparison.

Sasha is much closer to Cline than he is to Mathias.

Unless you want to chart out easy open looks versus contested shots it’s pretty hard to say that someone is good or not from 2 pt range, Dakota may be better but he got a lot of easy looks from 2 and 3 off of low post doubles.

Btw, comparing Sasha last year to Dakota as a junior is weak sauce.

Unless you want to chart out easy open looks versus contested shots it’s pretty hard to say that someone is good or not from 2 pt range, Dakota may be better but he got a lot of easy looks from 2 and 3 off of low post doubles.

I've seen Sasha play for two years now. I watched Mathias for 4 years. The eye test says Sasha is not good inside the arc. The stats back my opinion. Unless I've missed something in this thread, no one has provided evidence to back up their opinion that Sasha was good inside the arc. The evidence doesn't exist. 39% from inside the arc is horrid no matter the basketball player. That equates to .78 points per possession. Anything under 1 point per possession is a bad shot.

Weak sauce to compare them from the same point in their Purdue careers?

I've seen Sasha play for two years now. I watched Mathias for 4 years. The eye test says Sasha is not good inside the arc. The stats back my opinion. Unless I've missed something in this thread, no one has provided evidence to back up their opinion that Sasha was good inside the arc. The evidence doesn't exist. 39% from inside the arc is horrid no matter the basketball player. That equates to .78 points per possession. Anything under 1 point per possession is a bad shot.

I don't post often, and there's a reason for that. I'd typically rather read others thoughts than share my own. But sometimes somebody takes something too far for me to remain quiet.

You must be the most negative Purdue fan on this board that I have not yet put on ignore.

YOU may believe that comparing a redshirt sophomore to a true junior is "the same point in their Purdue careers", but I doubt you will convince many posters here that they should believe that statement. There is no substitution for true game experience. No, a redshirt sophomore and true junior are NOT at the same point in their Purdue careers.

Your eye test is fine, obviously you’re welcome to your opinion. You’re not showing any data that’s useful and neither is anyone else, so your opinion is as valid as anyone’s.

Unless Mathias had two years left after his junior year under no objective measure was he at the same point in his Purdue career as Sasha is.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Don’t want to start a new thread, but has AAU been playing? How or what did Trey Kaufman do to jump some 40 spots in the rankings. He’s basically in Furst territory now.

I tend to agree with this. I loved Dakota’s game, but he had the luxury of being very selective of when he attacked the rim because he always played with prolific offensive threats (Carsen, Haas, Swanigan, Vince, and Hammons) and on very balanced offenses. Sasha really didn’t have that last year.

I don't post often, and there's a reason for that. I'd typically rather read others thoughts than share my own. But sometimes somebody takes something too far for me to remain quiet.

You must be the most negative Purdue fan on this board that I have not yet put on ignore.

YOU may believe that comparing a redshirt sophomore to a true junior is "the same point in their Purdue careers", but I doubt you will convince many posters here that they should believe that statement. There is no substitution for true game experience. No, a redshirt sophomore and true junior are NOT at the same point in their Purdue careers.
Negative, because I think Sasha is a really good shooter, but not as good of a basketball player as Dakota Mathias?

Do you also consider it unfair to compare Sasha's redshirt sophomore year to Dakota's true sophomore year? The only way you could think those were comparable is if you think Sasha got nothing out of his redshirt season. Regardless, Mathias was still significantly better as a true sophomore than Sasha was a redshirt sophomore.

Being realistic about players and the team doesn't make someone a negative poster.

Your eye test is fine, obviously you’re welcome to your opinion. You’re not showing any data that’s useful and neither is anyone else, so your opinion is as valid as anyone’s.

Unless Mathias had two years left after his junior year under no objective measure was he at the same point in his Purdue career as Sasha is.
So using each player's stats from inside the arc to show which player was better from inside the arc isn't useful data?

Do you think Sasha got nothing from his redshirt year? Wouldn't a redshirt sophomore have a leg up on a true sophomore due to having an extra year in the program? Help me understand your logic, because it doesn't make sense. Both had been in the Purdue system for 3 years with the stats I used.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT