ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Harrison Ingram

That and the Weingarten kid put out an article saying he could decide “any day now”

Well, factually could that be true? Sure. But is it actually based on actual information that he's actually imminently going to announce? Or just it seems like it could be any time this month, i.e. any day. I'm not sure that's clear.

Reactions: Bulldog6969
He is saying 5 Ryan Clines would run away with the natty. And would probably win 4 straight

Ok. I guess I'm getting caught up in semantics, because he said a team of 5 Ryan Clines would win a natty before our team. I guess that's the part I don't/didn't get. If we get one of those two, it would increase our chances greatly - obviously, I get that. But what did he mean by they would win before our team?

Ok. I guess I'm getting caught up in semantics, because he said a team of 5 Ryan Clines would win a natty before our team. I guess that's the part I don't/didn't get. If we get one of those two, it would increase our chances greatly - obviously, I get that. But what did he mean by they would win before our team?
I’m saying a team of 5 Ryan clines would be better than our 2020-2021 team.. just look at what Villanova does

BG, you clearly need your sarcasm meter running.

Or you need to look at bulldog's posting history.

247 just put up an article titled "Five-star Harrison Ingram is closing in on a decision". No idea what it says as it is behind their pay wall, but looks like we could know his choice fairly soon.

MGoBlog says it's down to Mich and Purdue:

A source close to the recruitment tells me that Michigan is one of two teams at the top along with Purdue. The parents (Mom) really like the Stanford option, but the on-court situation in Palo Alto isn’t appealing enough to Harrison at this time. North Carolina is stronger than accepted wisdom, but trailing the Wolverines and Boilermakers.

Juwan Howard and staff have done a phenomenal job of making Ingram a top priority to the extent of perhaps being in pole position. The holdup? The same source tells me Harrison may have questions about his role in the offense come 2022 when Jett Howard comes aboard if he’s not a one and done.

Never could I have imagined that Jett Howard, a top 50 prospect that is likely best suited playing off-ball, would potentially be a roadblock for a 2021 5-star that is an elite shot creator. Such is life in recruiting.

IMO, if Stanford and their academics are off the table, Purdue should be the leader.

No questions here about playing time and has a longer relationship with CMP.
I don't know that you can say for certain that there are no questions here about playing time. We currently have 6 guards on the roster and none of them are seniors. So next year we would have 7 players for 3 spots. Ingram is a 5* and shouldn't be worried about anyone, but he likely wont get more than 28-30 minutes max here.

I don't know that you can say for certain that there are no questions here about playing time. We currently have 6 guards on the roster and none of them are seniors. So next year we would have 7 players for 3 spots. Ingram is a 5* and shouldn't be worried about anyone, but he likely wont get more than 28-30 minutes max here.

From what I've read, he could play the 1 through 4. I think Matt will find a way to give all his stud all he can handle, but 30 minutes seems to be as much as any freshman can expect.

Reactions: northside100
If Michigan lands him and not Purdue that will be a smack in the face By Michigan once again. That would be 2 5 star recruits that we was in on 1st and they got . Well 1 borderline 5 star.

If he makes his decision within the next 5 days I would say the coach that is getting Him already knows .

From what I've read, he could play the 1 through 4. I think Matt will find a way to give all his stud all he can handle, but 30 minutes seems to be as much as any freshman can expect.
I think it would be a stretch to play him at the 4. He's 6'6' and only around 210 lbs. We will have Furst, Gillis, and Wheeler all getting minutes at the 4. He's more of a 1 or 2.

Just looking at rosters of the top 3, we are probably in the worst shape as far as playing time goes with Stanford being the school with the most to offer in that department.

Purdue:

Hunter(SR)/IT(JR)
Ivey(So)/Newman (So)
Sasha(SR)/Morton (SO)

Michigan

Jackson(SO top 100 4*)/Collins(FR top 75 4*)
Bufkin(FR top 75 4*)/Howard(SO ranked in the 400s 3*)
Wagner (Jr - Assuming no NBA)/Barnes(FR top 150 4*)

Stanford

Silva(FR top 30 4*)/
Wills(SR)/
O'Connell(SO top 100 4*)/Taitz(SO top 200 3*)

Ziaire Williams is going to be a 1 and done.

Reactions: Boilermaker24
T
I think it would be a stretch to play him at the 4. He's 6'6' and only around 210 lbs. We will have Furst, Gillis, and Wheeler all getting minutes at the 4. He's more of a 1 or 2.

Just looking at rosters of the top 3, we are probably in the worst shape as far as playing time goes with Stanford being the school with the most to offer in that department.

Purdue:

Hunter(SR)/IT(JR)
Ivey(So)/Newman (So)
Sasha(SR)/Morton (SO)

Michigan

Jackson(SO top 100 4*)/Collins(FR top 75 4*)
Bufkin(FR top 75 4*)/Howard(SO ranked in the 400s 3*)
Wagner (Jr - Assuming no NBA)/Barnes(FR top 150 4*)

Stanford

Silva(FR top 30 4*)/
Wills(SR)/
O'Connell(SO top 100 4*)/Taitz(SO top 200 3*)

Ziaire Williams is going to be a 1 and done.
Those are almost Gillis' measurements exactly, so why don't you think he could play the 4??

T

Those are almost Gillis' measurements exactly, so why don't you think he could play the 4??
1. Gillis appears to have more muscle than Ingram. However, it remains to be seen if Gillis is too undersized to play the 4. Having a 6'6' player at the 4 is not ideal.

2. As I stated, we have Furst, Gillis, and Wheeler who will be getting minutes at the 4. There are no minutes left up for grabs there.

Could Ingram play there in a pinch? Sure. It's not likely he would get consistent playing time there however given our roster makeup.

In this age of load-management, is that really a bad thing? That's about all the superstars want to play nowadays anyway, seems like.

No offense to Sasha or IT, but Ingram shouldn't be taking a back seat to them. If he is, then I'm sure CMP has made that clear to him.

The recent posts compare Ingram playing the 4 compared to the 1 or 2. What about the 3?
I agree with you, but you are going to have 2-3 guys who are not freshman getting little to no playing time with 7 guards and only 3 spots.

I definitely think he can play the 3 and likely would.

IMO starters

Hunter
Ivey
Ingram
Furst
Williams

Assuming Hunter, Ivey, and Ingram are all getting 25-30 mpg, that only leaves 30-45 mpg for the remaining 4 guards.

Dont get me wrong, I definitely want Ingram. I just didn’t agree with the poster who said picking Purdue would be the smartest choice as far as path to high minutes.

I can see Ingram playing the 3. I can also see some transfers. a top 30 basketball player doesn't come off the bench or redshirt. and if he can't beat out Sasha or It, then obviously he's not as great as you people say he is. Versatility is nice, but I don't see Ingram taking minutes away from either Furst or Williams, or Ivey or Hunter, so where are those extra minutes realistically going to come from? It's one thing to say a player will play a bunch of minutes because of his versatility, but you must consider the overall composition of the team before you suggest he will play other positions. the thing is, we have many quality players at each position.

as for academic standing, if a player is going to only play 1-2 years, do you truly believe academic standards will even be a factor? I can see it if the player is going to stay at school for 4 years, but for a 1 or 2 and done? I also believe and most academic people will agree, Michigan is as good academically as Stanford is, and better than Purdue. and that's like choosing between IU and Purdue. How many basketball athletes actually admitted to picking one school over the other based on their academics? Did somebody choose Purdue over IU because of our academics? if so, what was his name? admittedly Sindelar picked Purdue because of its engineering programs. But he was also planning on being at Purdue for 4 years. How many elite basketball players see themselves being at a school for 4 years? I'm not talking about the typical 3 star player. I'm talking about that elite top 25.

i vividly remember that center who wanted to be a computer science major. and then he chose Oregon and their awesome computer science program over Purdue. I have to believe it was Oregon's academics that was the final deciding factor.

I'm also kind of tired of hearing about Villanova. yes, they played a lot of seniors. but unlike Purdue, their seniors actually had talent. take a look at their seniors verses Purdue's seniors. Where are Mathias, Haas and Cline playing? Ours weren't even drafted, while their 6th man was a first round draft pick. Their team enjoyed success, because their players were talented, not just because they were experienced seniors. I'm a firm believer talent beats experience.

I have nothing but praise for Michigan's academic programs. If i could have afforded it, i would have gone to northwestern, and dated Shelly Long.

if Kaufman and Ingram choose Purdue, that will be great. but i won't lose any sleep if they go elsewhere. as for a team of 5 Clines, I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I'm not a huge fan of Cline. and i hate the small ball concept.

I can see Ingram playing the 3. I can also see some transfers. a top 30 basketball player doesn't come off the bench or redshirt. and if he can't beat out Sasha or It, then obviously he's not as great as you people say he is. Versatility is nice, but I don't see Ingram taking minutes away from either Furst or Williams, or Ivey or Hunter, so where are those extra minutes realistically going to come from? It's one thing to say a player will play a bunch of minutes because of his versatility, but you must consider the overall composition of the team before you suggest he will play other positions. the thing is, we have many quality players at each position.

as for academic standing, if a player is going to only play 1-2 years, do you truly believe academic standards will even be a factor? I can see it if the player is going to stay at school for 4 years, but for a 1 or 2 and done? I also believe and most academic people will agree, Michigan is as good academically as Stanford is, and better than Purdue. and that's like choosing between IU and Purdue. How many basketball athletes actually admitted to picking one school over the other based on their academics? Did somebody choose Purdue over IU because of our academics? if so, what was his name? admittedly Sindelar picked Purdue because of its engineering programs. But he was also planning on being at Purdue for 4 years. How many elite basketball players see themselves being at a school for 4 years? I'm not talking about the typical 3 star player. I'm talking about that elite top 25.

i vividly remember that center who wanted to be a computer science major. and then he chose Oregon and their awesome computer science program over Purdue. I have to believe it was Oregon's academics that was the final deciding factor.

I'm also kind of tired of hearing about Villanova. yes, they played a lot of seniors. but unlike Purdue, their seniors actually had talent. take a look at their seniors verses Purdue's seniors. Where are Mathias, Haas and Cline playing? Ours weren't even drafted, while their 6th man was a first round draft pick. Their team enjoyed success, because their players were talented, not just because they were experienced seniors. I'm a firm believer talent beats experience.

I have nothing but praise for Michigan's academic programs. If i could have afforded it, i would have gone to northwestern, and dated Shelly Long.

if Kaufman and Ingram choose Purdue, that will be great. but i won't lose any sleep if they go elsewhere. as for a team of 5 Clines, I'm sorry, I just don't see it. I'm not a huge fan of Cline. and i hate the small ball concept.
Ingram is better than every guard on our roster. He won’t have trouble starting and getting minutes. He is a better prospect than Furst as well.

Yeah...Biggie came in with AJ, Vince and Haas already on the roster... and still played a bunch right away.
Sort of my point. Vince was a 4 until Biggie got here. And Biggie did play some 5 as a freshman too.
The difference between that scenario and this one is that we are already 2 deep at each of the guard spots. None of the guards can shift positions down to the 4 like Vince could to the 3. Additionally, Haas only got 14 mpg that year.

Ingram will definitely come in and play right away, but it will make our already huge log jam at guard even worse. This year there will be a guard who doesn’t play very much. Next year assuming no transfers and we get Ingram there will be 2 or 3 guards getting zero or not many mpg.

The difference between that scenario and this one is that we are already 2 deep at each of the guard spots. None of the guards can shift positions down to the 4 like Vince could to the 3. Additionally, Haas only got 14 mpg that year.

Ingram will definitely come in and play right away, but it will make our already huge log jam at guard even worse. This year there will be a guard who doesn’t play very much. Next year assuming no transfers and we get Ingram there will be 2 or 3 guards getting zero or not many mpg.

There's definitely going to be an odd man out or two. It's Painters job to continue to try and get the best possible talent in recruiting every single year and that's regardless of what he's got on the current roster. He can't worry about how a current player will feel about being recruited over and potentially lost playing time.
Every single team in college faces the same challenge.

My 3 cents.....

Still hard to not see Stanford as best choice for best combo of academics and basketball.

Michigan....ugh. Teske, Simpson, and Livers were nice upperclassmen to inherit. Beilein was elite at player development and building a team. Will be interesting to see how Howard builds a team with his own guys the next few years. Ingram is obviously being pitched to be center piece of that. I think the NBA connections from Howard carry a lot of weight here too. I get why they are attractive option, but they are the last place I want to see him go since they are in the B1G.

Purdue....I don't see the minutes next year as an issue. He will play an important role for a Sweet 16 and beyond caliber team. He is most likely a 2-3 year player in college, so his NBA stock will be based on playing a leading role with core of Morton, Ivey, Newman, Gillis, and Furst his So/Jr years. If Purdue wins out it comes down to relationship and trust with coaching staff that doesn't BS recruits and how well he fits with the core of guys listed above on what could be some very good basketball teams.

And you can never relax when UNC is involved, lol.

Good luck to Harrison on whatever he decides. Seems like a great kid who will do well wherever he goes.

There's definitely going to be an odd man out or two. It's Painters job to continue to try and get the best possible talent in recruiting every single year and that's regardless of what he's got on the current roster. He can't worry about how a current player will feel about being recruited over and potentially lost playing time.
Every single team in college faces the same challenge.
Agree with this. Vince was one of the better players in the league at his position when Biggie came along. Aside from Tre, who do we have that we can say that about? There are some good kids and nice role players but excluding the true freshmen I’m not sure there are any rising stars.

Last edited:
Zion averaged 30 mpg. Seems like you’re

Agree with this. Vince was one of the better players in the league at his position when Biggie came along. Aside from Tre, who do we have that we can say that about? There are some good kids and nice role players but excluding the true freshmen I’m not sure there are any rising stars.

Agreed. Obviously it's easier said than done to recruit players in to teams that have well-established players. You look back at the Baby Boilers - I think that was a big challenge for Painter. He was a new coach that didn't necessarily have a long 'track record', he had 3 players that really firmly established themselves in their freshmen year (that were not 1 or 2 year players). And there weren't many players that would have "bumped" them. I think that was a tough situation to be in.

Now Painter has established himself nationally, people know he develops players and he maximizes their outputs. Do we have a team full of top 50 players? No, but we have a team that's rather deep with 4 star players - not a lot of teams have 4 star guys coming off the bench...and keeping them happy.

College basketball coaching is not easy these days with roster management - you have to keep players happy, but you also have to plan for almost constant defections, whether pro or transferring to get more minutes or what not. If you get a really deep team and then have a bunch of transfers, that can obviously be used against you in recruiting. There's just very little room for error.

My 3 cents.....

Still hard to not see Stanford as best choice for best combo of academics and basketball.

Michigan....ugh. Teske, Simpson, and Livers were nice upperclassmen to inherit. Beilein was elite at player development and building a team. Will be interesting to see how Howard builds a team with his own guys the next few years. Ingram is obviously being pitched to be center piece of that. I think the NBA connections from Howard carry a lot of weight here too. I get why they are attractive option, but they are the last place I want to see him go since they are in the B1G.

Purdue....I don't see the minutes next year as an issue. He will play an important role for a Sweet 16 and beyond caliber team. He is most likely a 2-3 year player in college, so his NBA stock will be based on playing a leading role with core of Morton, Ivey, Newman, Gillis, and Furst his So/Jr years. If Purdue wins out it comes down to relationship and trust with coaching staff that doesn't BS recruits and how well he fits with the core of guys listed above on what could be some very good basketball teams.

Good luck to Harrison on whatever he decides. Seems like a great kid who will do well wherever he goes.
Stanford as the best combo? The basketball side leaves a lot to be desired. They play most of their games when America is headed to bed and 3,000 fans show up to their games. One of the worst atmopsheres in the country.

My 3 cents.....

He is ranked #8 nationally, he probably doesn't see himself as a 2-3 year player unless he decides he loves school.

Yeah I’m not sure where that idea that he is a 2-3 year player. IF Painter lands him- he’d easily be the most 1-and-done player that we have had in the Painter era.

Side Bar: what year does 1-and-done end?

Yeah I’m not sure where that idea that he is a 2-3 year player. IF Painter lands him- he’d easily be the most 1-and-done player that we have had in the Painter era.

Side Bar: what year does 1-and-done end?

Not official but the 2022 class should be able to go straight to the NBA

Reactions: IUhaterade
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT