ADVERTISEMENT

OT - NFL/Kneeling

These players are role models I don't want my kid to get this idea. That's the whole point, yes they have a right to sit i have a right not to watch i saw zero nfl today games conflicting schedule in the morning and just fed up with nfl period

I think you believe what you wrote because you, like most of us, live in a rural Indiana echo chamber of nonsense. It doesnt put you in any type of majority. The exponential increase in protests today shows that. And even if there was a majoroty of people who thought the protests were bad, that doesn't mean those people are right. The protesters are serving their purpose. They are opening a dialogue about policing murdering people in our country - predominantly black males. I suggest you make a genuine attempt to understand the view point of the players kneeling. It doesn't mean you hate police, or America, or anything other than trying to understand why these people will put their career on the line to do this. As this goes on, there will be fewer and fewer people standing with you on this.

you do realize that black males are murdering black males at a much higher rate than any policeman. It isn't even close.

The concern for loss of life among black males being murdered by other black males doesn't serve the narrative. There may be data, but I'm unaware that show black men being shot by police more than white men with the same or similar actions and situations. I know there are more white men shot than black men, but there are more whites in the population than black and so that must be taken with a grain of salt. I don't know, but wonder how black women compare in getting shot to white men..AND white women?

What is true is that we have a culture of death and a disrespect for life and are seeing some of the faces of that culture in a lot of areas.

These players are role models I don't want my kid to get this idea.

d835336b60135254c6d9f1277d65f69c43ba3517880d38971cf87e31e0c39d98.jpg

Your kid is your responsibility.

That is their workplace. Imagine if any of us tried that where we work, we'd be fired most likely on the spot.

I don't watch the NFL for this political crap and if those players want to do something, instead of going home to their mansions they should head down to the soup kitchen. Until then they are just a bunch of hypocrites.

d835336b60135254c6d9f1277d65f69c43ba3517880d38971cf87e31e0c39d98.jpg

Your kid is your responsibility.
Really? Unfortunately millions of kids look up to these players in the here and now and in the past. Do you believe one quote from Barkley makes your point?

If kneeling is so disrespectful then people are disrespecting Jesus every day. Be honest with yourselves and state that the real reason you dislike players kneeling for the anthem has nothing to do with the national anthem itself, servicemen who've given the ultimate sacrifice, or anything like that. It has to do with YOU being offended that someone with a different view point is making themselves noticed/heard.

Now let me address the ludicrous statement that "if players want to protest then there are many other ways to do it". Nowhere do these men have a better platform for their causes than during games. There is no protest that would capture more eyes and ears.

And most importantly, the president can't tell private citizens how to act or dictate how private companies are run (the NFL). Perhaps Trump needs a refresher course on the constitution of the country he heads?

These players are simply grandstanding and pandering to some of their people. They're simply making a spectacle of themselves because they're on TV but I would bet my paycheck that any of them are doing anything once they get off the field. I'm not talking about foundations, free camps and things like that. I'm talking about doing something more than running their mouths and bitching about how unfair life is.....Like putting some money where their mouth is.

Actually, players do not have the right to kneel during the anthem. In 1991, a NBA player (Rauf) was suspended for an anthem protest.

While an employer cannot necessarily control what you do in your spare time, he can control what you do in the place of employment. Your job can require you to wear a uniform (UPS, Fedex, McDonald's) and even your personal appearance: contracts at the NY Yankees forbid beards.

Government workers are not allowed to wear political buttons on the job, though they can after leaving the office.

Focus groups (see JD Power, Rasmussen) have determined that political protests are the single-largest factor in declining NFL ratings. The networks are estimated to lose $200 million on their NFL broadcast revs in a report that I saw this week. When the NFL teams lose money from network fees and royalty from merchandise sales as well as ticket revs there will be a change. And don't forget that the stadiums are constructed with tax-free muni-bonds issued by government

I think this is a pretty ignorant statement, which I'm not terribly surprised by. Most of these NFL players had no money prior to making the NFL - most of whom have been there less than 5 years. They didn't grow up rich or inherit millions of dollars. Many of them are the first people in their families to graduate college.

Are there some assholes in the NFL? Absolutely. But why is it ok for Trump and Mnuchin - both billionaires - to tell private companies to fire employees based on something they don't like - yet these players can't peacefully protest something? I don't think Trump's ever faced what they are protesting either. In fact, he's been held accountable for discriminating against people himself. Not sure he's the discrimination police.

My problem with these protests is that the protesters will often mention then name of some black guy shot by a white cop (by the way, more white guys are shot by cops annually, but that doesn't fit the narrative) but then when you look into the story a little further, you learn the guy was a gun toting drug dealer out on parole with a rap sheet a mile long.
I have little sympathy for criminals and I'm always going to give the benefit of the doubt to law enforcement because the perp has usually proven they have no interest in being a productive member of society. Choose to be a criminal, you choose to take curtain risks that come along with consequences.

Really? Unfortunately millions of kids look up to these players in the here and now and in the past. Do you believe one quote from Barkley makes your point?

The Barkley quote was more of a funny aside, but I absolutely believe that parents are responsible for their children and their values.

The Barkley quote was more of a funny aside, but I absolutely believe that parents are responsible for their children and their values.

to an extent...some children value the peer's opinions more...apparently an innate desire for acceptance among peers more than the parents that they know love them. John Dewey, the father of public education thought the social conditioning was more important than the academic for the mission of the public schools. When he returned from Prussia with his team of 12 he stated that social reform was the greatest goal of public education. Most children spend more time in school than with their parents...unless home schooled.

Don't discount the impact of schools on society. If that impact were not real there would not be multicultural reviews of all text books...math included...think on that one for a while. Sure parents are absolutely crucial, but the schools, assignments and texts are huge as well. Combine those two with social media and add media influence into the parents and there are a lot of people being programmed

to an extent...some children value the peer's opinions more...apparently an innate desire for acceptance among peers more than the parents that they know love them. John Dewey, the father of public education thought the social conditioning was more important than the academic for the mission of the public schools. When he returned from Prussia with his team of 12 he stated that social reform was the greatest goal of public education. Most children spend more time in school than with their parents...unless home schooled.

Don't discount the impact of schools on society. If that impact were not real there would not be multicultural reviews of all text books...math included...think on that one for a while. Sure parents are absolutely crucial, but the schools, assignments and texts are huge as well. Combine those two with social media and add media influence into the parents and there are a lot of people being programmed

Ok...

For speaking my mind and listing some of my accomplishments in the Air Force, I was harassed by a troll on this board looking for people to join his pay site. I didn't boast, Somebody asked me what I did, so I replied. Out of 2,000 posts, less than 100 are about my family and accomplishments. that's less than 5%. I don't consider that boasting or having a tremendous ego or a bunch of BS. .

I have problems with people who boo athletes, but buy and wear their jerseys and continue watching the games. How many of those patriots fans left the game? How many players is Jerry Jones really going to fire? if Prescott kneeled down, would he be fired? and how long would it take for another owner to sign him? I'm tired of the lies.

I also have problems with people who say things knowing full well how their statements will affect others. We have people trying to unite our country while some who are trying to create a greater divide.

I'm also very aware of political misdirection. We wave the flag to hide the injustices we accomplish each day. We have stated as bylaws of this forum to keep politics separate form sports. I didn't start this thread. I didn't start the reason for this thread. But we now have people on both sides of the issue using sports as their forum to talk about politics. and rather than talking Purdue Sports, we're talking about the NFL, NBA and POLITICS. and we're starting to take sides, build fences, and letting our emotions get the best of us.

I'm tired of trolls harassing me and my family. My response? My icon is a picture of my son. if you look hard enough, it will reveal everything I was saying was true. He's a product of racial strife in Alabama. I've tried all his life to teach him to take the high road and not allow our society's prejudices get under his skin. and it's been very hard when people in Illinois are just as bigoted as those in Alabama. I'm white, and I talk to bigots every single day about my son. They just don't realize he's my son, because he's Black. . All my son wants is a chance. He's smarter than the majority of posters here and he's also an athlete. Ohh, you're 6'5 and you're Black, so you must be an athlete and are great at playing basketball, right? He's tired of the stereotypes. He might be giving you the thumbs up, but in his mind he knows of the hatred, because he's experienced it all his life from the second he was born. The only reason he was up for adoption was because his mother knew he would not be welcomed in her home and would be despised by her father simply because of the color of his skin. His birth mother was White as were her parents. She wasn't raped, but his biological father is listed as unknown. he was an unwanted byproduct of a high school prom.

My ancestors were immigrants . they came from Germany and England. they fought in every war America was involved in. When you enter my house, you will see two U.S flags prominently displayed - one flown over Iraq, and one flown over Afghanistan. I also fly a Purdue flag on game days. Rather than hiding my beliefs, I share them. Teaching children is easy and fun - a lot easier than trying to teach ethics and morals to adults. What did I do this weekend? I led my Boy Scouts to conduct 2 flag ceremonies at a Hunting and Fishing Days gathering that drew over 40,000 people in Southern Illinois. My Boy Scouts are all under 18, but they've also experienced and seen a lot of hatred shown their way by others in the past decade. simply because they wear a scout uniform.

I will never boast about our country's hatred. I've lived in over 15 states from Florida to California and Wisconsin to Texas. I will state, whether others acknowledge it or not, that hatred and racial bias exists in every community I've lived in. And that's sad. and now its taking over national sports and politics. This is not what my ancestors fought for. And rather than using a gun to settle their differences , my ancestors tried to use a pen and oral communication to negotiate peaceful resolutions to conflict. I didn't join the Air Force to kill people. I joined the Air Force to DEFEND our country and its people from those that would. And sometimes it saddens me that some of those people killing Americans are actually Americans with no value for life itself. I don't know the stats, but I believe over the last two decades more Americans were killed by other Americans than any outside forces. And that needs to end ... . somehow.

Last edited:
I was so outraged by these players actions I only watched about 4 1/2 hrs of the NFL yesterday, then was barely able to sleep 8 hrs last night.
Very snowflaky response by some to the players protest

Reactions: Frankie611
Believe it or not, this country isn't as great to some people as it is to others. I get it, when some people see the flag they see this great place that has afforded them the opportunity to do whatever they want in life. For some others they've seen nothing but discrimination and suffering by just being unfortunate victim of just being born to a specific sexual orientation, skin color, or social class. They aren't kneeling because they are disrespecting the people who have served and died for the country. They are kneeling because all the virtues that the flag and anthem symbolize that those men and women died for don't apply to them equally. And honestly, when the leader of the country basically says you have to be patriotic or should suffer a penalty - you're heading toward fascism.

Believe it or not, this country isn't as great to some people as it is to others. I get it, when some people see the flag they see this great place that has afforded them the opportunity to do whatever they want in life. For some others they've seen nothing but discrimination and suffering by just being unfortunate victim of just being born to a specific sexual orientation, skin color, or social class. They aren't kneeling because they are disrespecting the people who have served and died for the country. They are kneeling because all the virtues that the flag and anthem symbolize that those men and women died for don't apply to them equally. And honestly, when the leader of the country basically says you have to be patriotic or should suffer a penalty - you're heading toward fascism.

One thing I'll always remember my Dad telling me: "Life aint fair, get used to it."
Regardless of the circumstances you're born into, regardless of the color of your skin, you have the opportunity to do anything from becoming President to making millions of dollars being a rapper to becoming very wealthy for being able to play a sport better than most others.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
the real underlying issue here is
freedom, personal liberty, and conservative principles remaining greater than any statist indoctrinations and tools whether it may be a pledge, anthem, flag, hand gestures, standing/sitting requirements, whatever else may become a norm (with those 'norms' additionally being altered and revised some over time).

citizens can be proud of the past & present who fought for us and others to be free from such requirements, while not ultimately succumbing to similar acts of fealty to government.
and also being able to focus on more pertinent issues and dilemma facing state and national legislature and reform.

Last edited:
Really hesitant to jump in the middle of this, but what you said really cuts to the heart of an issue. People either choose to ascribe the injustice they see TO the flag and/or anthem or they choose to see them as symbols of the good things this country represents. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.. written into the Declaration. Freedom of speech.. one of very few countries in the world that has speech as a constitutional right. Not that everything about the country is good. But generally the bad things are due to the flawed human condition (which is why you see these bad things happen all over the world - no country is immune to racism for example).
When we use these symbols and ceremonies as opportunities to unite instead of divide I believe we are all greater for it. Don't crap on the anthem. Own it as part of your cause. Sing it louder than the guy who you believe is not living up to the ideals that this country was founded on. The president is wrong - people should be allowed to kneel. But it does make them appear (to many) ignorant of what the flag and anthem represent.

Reactions: Bippus33
And to support that people are sick of this crap, ratings are down:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...n-amid-kneeling-protest/ar-AAsrVvF?li=BBnb7Kz

Also the sales of the jersey of the steelers player that came out on his own during the national anthem have skyrocketed.

The NFL players need to get the hint that the nation doesn't want to put up with your antics while you are paid millions to play a game. You don't want to put your hand on your heart during the anthem? Fine, stand there in silence like and other respectful adult does.

They aren't kneeling because they are disrespecting the people who have served and died for the country.

Complete BS. That is EXACTLY what they are doing. By your logic, the Westboro Baptist Church isn't really protesting any individual's funeral either just because they happen to be protesting at the funeral location during the funeral.

You can protest anything you want, anytime you want, and pretty much where ever you want. Where and when you choose to do that absolutely matters.

Curious - what do you think they’re trying to accomplish?

Between my husband and myself we gave 46 years of all active duty serviceto the US Navy just so these players might be able to have the freedom to kneel- so I have no problem with them wanting to draw attention to a cause whether I agree with it or not. But does anyone here really believe these kneeling players are doing this to unify us all?? Not all NFL players are mental giants but no one can convince me those players thought kneeling during the National Anthem would result in anything but anger and more racial division.
These multi millionaire players have been blessed with the ability to make a wonderful life for themselves by virtue of being the best at playing a child's game-which we grown up kids support with our $$$$. By virtue of their celebrity they have access to TV, radio, the press, and social media-all platforms to voice their concerns in an adult manner for hopefully positive discussions. That was not their choice....
So while the Colts, Saints and most other NFL teams knelt on the sidelines yesterday wanting to divide us there were thousands of young 18 year olds all over the world charged with the responsibility of maintaining millions of dollars worth of military equipment--earning less than a McDonald's employee. Ask them about institutional privilege...The NFL has gotten their last penny from me...

Last edited:
Regardless of the circumstances you're born into, regardless of the color of your skin, you have the opportunity to do anything from becoming President to making millions of dollars being a rapper to becoming very wealthy for being able to play a sport better than most others.
That's a wonderful sentiment we often use to urge our kids and others to try and excel... but we all know that it is ridiculous as well.
A fetal alcohol child with an IQ in the 80s who is 5'6" and lacks coordination and any special talent cannot be whatever he/she wants, nor for that matter can most of us. We all have the opportunity to be something but not necessarily something that anyone would relish or want for their children.
It is simply naive and unrealistic to suggest that birth circumstances have little to do with where we wind up in life. We have choices but they are are far from limitless nor all of our own making. Sometimes horrendous birth circumstanes are overcome but more often they are so limiting and debilitating that simply being a good person struggling successfully to just get by is the best outcome out there.

Here's the thing, though. The only reason we're even discussing this right now is because our president went out of his way to call it out in a political rally (1 year into his term really?), which led to even more players kneeling. Why aren't you complaining about cause instead of the effect? Our government is actively trying to divide the population even further and we're focused on a bunch of guys kneeling at a game.

Reactions: Frankie611
Yup - just heard his jersey is the number 1 selling jersey in the past 24 hours.
And he is an Army Ranger to boot. Glad he didn't cave in to this crap and the rest of the country seemingly isn't siding with the players for the most part either.

Reactions: TheBoris
Here's the thing, though. The only reason we're even discussing this right now is because our president went out of his way to call it out in a political rally (1 year into his term really?), which led to even more players kneeling. Why aren't you complaining about cause instead of the effect? Our government is actively trying to divide the population even further and we're focused on a bunch of guys kneeling at a game.

Nobody forced anyone to kneel. Look no further than Drew Brees for how a player who was disappointed in Trump's message should have reacted while still showing respect to the flag. Trying to pin this on Trump is a cop out even though I think it was a poor decision on his part. Each player still had a choice on how to react. They made their choice. In my opinion, those that chose to kneel made a very poor one.

Take 6.5 minutes to listen to this. This pretty well sums out how people feel and why the NFL owners are idiots for not addressing this as soon as the kneeling started.

https://www.facebook.com/Tatumbug34?fref=mentions
NFL really crapped the bed. They've had an entire year to work with the players and get on top of this. Put a podium on the sideline to "stand higher for justice" or something of that nature that gives them option to do something symbolic without offending half the audience.

NFL really crapped the bed. They've had an entire year to work with the players and get on top of this. Put a podium on the sideline to "stand higher for justice" or something of that nature that gives them option to do something symbolic without offending half the audience.
Or play the anthem before the players come back out of the locker room.

That's a wonderful sentiment we often use to urge our kids and others to try and excel... but we all know that it is ridiculous as well.
A fetal alcohol child with an IQ in the 80s who is 5'6" and lacks coordination and any special talent cannot be whatever he/she wants, nor for that matter can most of us. We all have the opportunity to be something but not necessarily something that anyone would relish or want for their children.
It is simply naive and unrealistic to suggest that birth circumstances have little to do with where we wind up in life. We have choices but they are are far from limitless nor all of our own making. Sometimes horrendous birth circumstanes are overcome but more often they are so limiting and debilitating that simply being a good person struggling successfully to just get by is the best outcome out there.

Clearly you've bought into the victimhood argument.....
But, I'll appease you: Yes, a kid born with fetal alcohol syndrome, a mental disability or other condition that literally prevents them from functioning cognitively at a high enough level to achieve basic learning is going to struggle an unlikely to become a doctor, but that's a very, very small % (<2%?) of the population. For the rest of us, whether born with a silver spoon, wooden spoon or no spoon, you still have the opportunity to succeed.
I know kids that are born in the hood are at a disadvantage compared to kids born into a nice suburban community, but there's success and failure stories that come out of both areas.
The point is, there's opportunity, t's what people do with that opportunity that matters.
Now, if you want to start discussing 'culture', I'm happy to have that discussion as well.

Between my husband and myself we gave 46 years of all active duty serviceto the US Navy just so these players might be able to have the freedom to kneel- so I have no problem with them wanting to draw attention to a cause whether I agree with it or not. But does anyone here really believe these kneeling players are doing this to unify us all?? Not all NFL players are mental giants but no one can convince me those players thought kneeling during the National Anthem would result in anything but anger and more racial division.
These multi millionaire players have been blessed with the ability to make a wonderful life for themselves by virtue of being the best at playing a child's game-which we grown up kids support with our $$$$. By virtue of their celebrity they have access to TV, radio, the press, and social media-all platforms to voice their concerns in an adult manner for hopefully positive discussions. That was not their choice....
So while the Colts, Saints and most other NFL teams knelt on the sidelines yesterday wanting to divide us there were thousands of young 18 year olds all over the world charged with the responsibility of maintaining millions of dollars worth of military equipment--earning less than a McDonald's employee. Ask them about institutional privilege...The NFL has gotten their last penny from me...

stalin had useful idiots. this started a couple of years ago and has been blessed by one side of the aisle. I don't think for a second that the man behind the curtain has just now thought racism was a problem. No doubt there are some sincere protesters involved and others just for politics. I don't watch professional sports and generally stay away from movies as well. People need to treat people how they want to be treated...

Reactions: BoilerGal74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT