ADVERTISEMENT

OT - NFL/Kneeling

state wants to make colts refund upset fans if colt players kneel.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...pset-fans-if-players-kneel-during-anthem.html

The joys of a short session. At least there will be a diversion from the school calendar and cursive curriculum bills I will be monitoring.

FYI - I know it is a bit “inside baseball” and wonky, but keep an eye on the school calendar stuff. I am hearing rumblings that a bill forcing 180 of school in to the 195ish potential school days between Labor Day and Memorial Day will be introduced. If nothing else there could be a shift from the current break schedule including school in to mid-June.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
Maybe they should refund! The players and the NFL do not practice diversity nor affirmative action! The lack of Asian/Oriental, Hispanic and transgendered players is appalling! Bigotry!:)

I agree, I think the NFL should have a quota system in place. Start with 1% female (They can be kickers or holders), 2% gay, 2% transgender, 2% Islamic, 5% Asian/Oriental, 20% Hispanic, 30% Black, 38% White. Numbers are based somewhat on the U.S. population.
The quota system should apply to all professional sport teams that take any tax payer money for facilities, same for public colleges.
And if you think this is ridiculous, try bidding a state or federal job.

Reactions: threeeputtt
The joys of a short session. At least there will be a diversion from the school calendar and cursive curriculum bills I will be monitoring.

FYI - I know it is a bit “inside baseball” and wonky, but keep an eye on the school calendar stuff. I am hearing rumblings that a bill forcing 180 of school in to the 195ish potential school days between Labor Day and Memorial Day will be introduced. If nothing else there could be a shift from the current break schedule including school in to mid-June.
Why the locality cannot set it's own calendar is so stupid. All this so more kids can farm and go to the State Fair. Then the "pools argument" where kids can swim until Labor Day. But they can't swim the whole month of June.

If a school wants to start in July, go nuts. If a school wants to start in September, go for it.

All this so more kids can farm and go to the State Fair.

Silly statement. If you wanted to tailor a school year to the cycles of the predominant farming practices in Indiana it would look like this:

School start - mid-May
Harvest Break - October to Thanksgiving (depending on region)
Winter Term - December to mid March
Planting Break - mid March to mid May

They already passed allow making all absences tied to the State Fair excused.

This is really being driven by business interests like Holiday World who want people to visit in August and need kids to staff the park.

wow 195 days in that time frame would barely allow for thanksgiving or christmas days off

Silly statement. If you wanted to tailor a school year to the cycles of the predominant farming practices in Indiana it would look like this:

School start - mid-May
Harvest Break - October to Thanksgiving (depending on region)
Winter Term - December to mid March
Planting Break - mid March to mid May

They already passed allow making all absences tied to the State Fair excused.

This is really being driven by business interests like Holiday World who want people to visit in August and need kids to staff the park.
I am just paraphrasing the argument every few years when this comes up. The current one is an entertainment play. Previous pushes were for "harvest" season and State Fair. What do you think the % of kids is who that would effect state wide? 20%? That is why they should leave it up to the locality. Want to set a calendar to farm? Go for it. Set it up to work Holiday World? Go for it. There should not be a one size fits all calendar

I am just paraphrasing the argument every few years when this comes up. The current one is an entertainment play. Previous pushes were for "harvest" season and State Fair. What do you think the % of kids is who that would effect state wide? 20%? That is why they should leave it up to the locality. Want to set a calendar to farm? Go for it. Set it up to work Holiday World? Go for it. There should not be a one size fits all calendar

Just because the argument was used doesn't mean it was a good argument. That's all I was pointing out.

Also, I am pretty sure I never said that there should be a one size fits all calendar.

I am interested in following the bill because it directly affects me and my family. For the first time in a number of years it appears that there is some actual traction to get something passed. I have met with a number of legislators and here is what I am finding:

1. There is a group of corporate interests pouring lobbying dollars in to a school calendar change.
2. Most of the legislature really doesn’t care and will end up agreeing to about anything so lobbyists, a small vocal minority and Jean Leising will stop pestering them about school start dates.

Just because the argument was used doesn't mean it was a good argument. That's all I was pointing out.

Also, I am pretty sure I never said that there should be a one size fits all calendar.

I am interested in following the bill because it directly affects me and my family. For the first time in a number of years it appears that there is some actual traction to get something passed. I have met with a number of legislators and here is what I am finding:

1. There is a group of corporate interests pouring lobbying dollars in to a school calendar change.
2. Most of the legislature really doesn’t care and will end up agreeing to about anything so lobbyists, a small vocal minority and Jean Leising will stop pestering them about school start dates.
I understand, I was just reiterating what I have heard and my opinion. I am sorry if you thought I was accusing you of something otherwise. My apologies.

That aside, what general area of the state are you in? What is your preference on the calendar?

As a kid we were Labor Day - mid June. By the time I graduated we were late August to early June. As an educator it has been mid August to Memorial Day and it is solid. Friends working balanced calendar notice more gains with that than three months off but the con is there is not adequate time for remediation.

Interesting what you found. If it passes people will get mad and then it will change back.

I understand, I was just reiterating what I have heard and my opinion. I am sorry if you thought I was accusing you of something otherwise. My apologies.

That aside, what general area of the state are you in? What is your preference on the calendar?

As a kid we were Labor Day - mid June. By the time I graduated we were late August to early June. As an educator it has been mid August to Memorial Day and it is solid. Friends working balanced calendar notice more gains with that than three months off but the con is there is not adequate time for remediation.

Interesting what you found. If it passes people will get mad and then it will change back.

East Central Indiana. Kids and wife are on balanced and my school runs early August to Memorial Day. We only have week breaks for Fall and Spring.

I really don't have a preference, I just hate the idiocy of the whole conversation.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
East Central Indiana. Kids and wife are on balanced and my school runs early August to Memorial Day. We only have week breaks for Fall and Spring.

I really don't have a preference, I just hate the idiocy of the whole conversation.
The extended breaks of a balanced, especially 2 for Spring like some would be nice if you travel. Honestly as a former coach breaks were null anyway.

Thanks for the update! I have contacted my representative but doubt it will help.

Actually, players do not have the right to kneel during the anthem. In 1991, a NBA player (Rauf) was suspended for an anthem protest.

While an employer cannot necessarily control what you do in your spare time, he can control what you do in the place of employment. Your job can require you to wear a uniform (UPS, Fedex, McDonald's) and even your personal appearance: contracts at the NY Yankees forbid beards.

Government workers are not allowed to wear political buttons on the job, though they can after leaving the office.

Focus groups (see JD Power, Rasmussen) have determined that political protests are the single-largest factor in declining NFL ratings. The networks are estimated to lose $200 million on their NFL broadcast revs in a report that I saw this week. When the NFL teams lose money from network fees and royalty from merchandise sales as well as ticket revs there will be a change. And don't forget that the stadiums are constructed with tax-free muni-bonds issued by government
I have been a die-hard NFL fan for years. I watched part of the Super Bowl last year. Didn't buy a ticket, didn't buy a Bear's item.....found a lot of other things to do on Sunday.

Reactions: SKYDOG
The fact that grown adult Americans actually have to be told to show simple respect and courtesy to the flag and our anthem, and then penalized if they don't is disgraceful IMO. Oh well, I won't rehash it all over again. My money and I have found better things to do since this all began.

Yup - I said when this all started with Kapaernick that the NFL had better get on top of this real quick or suffer the consequences. They didn't get on top of it and have a giant mess on their hands. Let this be a lesson to those business owners too afraid to stand up for what's best for their bottom line.

Told my wife today no more NFL Sunday Ticket, no more jerseys, no more tee shirts... what a stupid freaking issue. History will laugh it’s ass off at us, the number of children who go to bed hungry every night in this country is on very few citizens minds, genuflecting vs. standing for the anthem... that’s the issue this decadent nation is worried about.

Reactions: RegionWarrior101
Told my wife today no more NFL Sunday Ticket, no more jerseys, no more tee shirts... what a stupid freaking issue. History will laugh it’s ass off at us, the number of children who go to bed hungry every night in this country is on very few citizens minds, genuflecting vs. standing for the anthem... that’s the issue this decadent nation is worried about.

This is one of my all time favorite logical fallacies. The genuflect line is icing on the cake. Honestly, thanks for the laughs.

This is one of my all time favorite logical fallacies. The genuflect line is icing on the cake. Honestly, thanks for the laughs.
No problem, your sophistry gives me more laughs than you’ll ever know. Logical fallacies, based on most of your post, you’re funny as hell.

Reactions: Frankie611
No problem, your sophistry gives me more laughs than you’ll ever know. Logical fallacies, based on most of your post, you’re funny as hell.

As long as you are aware you are acting in bad faith, I guess that is the best we can do.

Have a good night.

As long as you are aware you are acting in bad faith, I guess that is the best we can do.

Have a good night.
Wow you are odd, bad faith? For saying what? Okay I’ll play your game for a moment, what’s the fallacy? Did I or did I not tell my wife tonight no more NFL Sun. Tk., no jerseys, no tees? Will history give a shit about this NFL nonsense more or less than inequality? Is taking a knee known as genuflecting, a sign of respect, or not?

Edit: I should I have referred to my wife with whatever that asinine term you found on line and used acting like you knew something about the area she grew up in, but I apologize, I forgot that ridiculous shit and just called her “my wife.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Beeazlebub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT