ADVERTISEMENT

Fletcher Loyer is the real deal

We had another pretty good player from Peru, John Garrett.

He was really good at Purdue. How did Peru come up with a skilled 6'11" kid back then? :)

Gotta think those pronunciations a way to differentiate from the countries they're named after. Sure wouldn't want Russiaville in the 50's. And then the weirdness of them leading to new generations not wanting to use that pronunciation. ???? Any linguists here?
How Do they say "ver sie" ? "ver sails"?

Last edited:
I love Hoosier vernacular and pronunciation; learned it from my West Point, IN, native parents and extended family.

I am really looking forward to what sort of progress Ivey, Edey, Newman, Gillis, and Morton will make as southmores.

I expect they'll be ready. Better be because "WESSconsin" and "ELLAnoise" are going to be tough again. :)

Lol, howjsay.com is one of my favorite websites, search a word and it will pronounce it for you

They have a special addendum for Versailles

Reactions: GregJM24
He was really good at Purdue. How did Peru come up with a skilled 6'11" kid back then? :)

Gotta think those pronunciations a way to differentiate from the countries they're named after. Sure wouldn't want Russiaville in the 50's. And then the weirdness of them leading to new generations not wanting to use that pronunciation. ???? Any linguists here?
How Do they say "ver sie" ? "ver sails"?
It's fun to hear some announcers pronounce Terre Haute. I remember one saying "ter-uh how-tee".

It's fun to hear some announcers pronounce Terre Haute. I remember one saying "ter-uh how-tee".

Town pronunciation is how I can always tell whether the newest people on the local news stations are from Indiana or not. First time they say "car-MEL" or "leb-a-NON" you just know that they "ain't from hereabouts". One that even in state folks get wrong is Vevay, Indiana(pron: Vee-Vee, being named for Vevey, Switzerland).

I like how Purdue basketball broadcaster Rob Blackman pronounces Illinois (like many that live in Indiana) Ellinois instead.

I suspect wild turkeys dropped from a helicopter might not fly much better than domestics.
Damn gravity 😳. Wild ones certainly can fly but only for short distances normally. I've had a few close calls with quite a few of them on the back roads of southern Indiana - they came from the ground up though, not from some "Big Guy" in a helicopter.

Reactions: GregJM24
Lol, howjsay.com is one of my favorite websites, search a word and it will pronounce it for you

They have a special addendum for Versailles

Chauncey - know any folks named Spaetti down your way? Have an in-law from that family.

Damn gravity 😳. Wild ones certainly can fly but only for short distances normally. I've had a few close calls with quite a few of them on the back roads of southern Indiana - they came from the ground up though, not from some "Big Guy" in a helicopter.
I've seen them fly a couple hundred yards across water or when busted from a cornfield by my old Lab.

Jan Smithers was HOT. Had that girl next door friendliness but made me warm. Ginger over Marianne though. Can't resist curves. Wild Turkeys sure have made a comeback! for most of my life we never saw them, even in farm land (not living there, driving). But now see them a time or two every year. Sometimes in nice sized flocks of 20 or so.

Reactions: Purdue85
Jan Smithers was HOT. Had that girl next door friendliness but made me warm. Ginger over Marianne though. Can't resist curves. Wild Turkeys sure have made a comeback! for most of my life we never saw them, even in farm land (not living there, driving). But now see them a time or two every year. Sometimes in nice sized flocks of 20 or so.
Marianne was my favorite on Gilligan's Island, but Tina Louise in God's Little Acre... no comment.

Marianne was my favorite on Gilligan's Island, but Tina Louise in God's Little Acre... no comment.
iu

My dad taught at Peru HS. I spent a couple of summers in the gym rebounding Macy's free throws - very boring job. I barely moved.
Kyle was a player described by some as being on skates. His movement was so smooth AND deceptively quick. I know a coach that coached freshmen basketball there right out of college and Bob told him to coach his "personality" and not try to be someone else which was popular at the time. Kyle was very good and maybe had an 84% FT average?????

Peru - that place is a real circus(but a pretty nice town actually).
Home of Cole Porter and the Ringling Brothers... ;) Here is Jewell doing "Anything Goes" from Cole Porter

Last edited:
Reactions: jindy
I did some searches for John Garrett on Twit and saw where he may have been a tavern owner in Mentone a decade ago? Learned that Mentone is the egg basket of the Midwest and it has an Egg festival, good times. Also saw this gem from some Schmoe from Kokomo. Purdue fans are pretty nice ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT