ADVERTISEMENT

Fletcher Loyer is the real deal

I know he is only a junior but would he be the a leader for Mr. Basketball next year?

I know he is only a junior but would he be the a leader for Mr. Basketball next year?
This game certainly set the stage for him being a favorite. Pre-game it had a lot of media hype because of all of the D-1 athletes in the game. Homestead has Loyer (Purdue) and Goode (Illinois), while LN has DJ Hughes (Butler) and CJ Gunn (who the IUStar is certain will accept an IU scholarship). LN's highly rated quarterback (signed with IU) is their starting PF. If Loyer was a secret before, he isn't any more. He's more than just a 3-pt shooter. I also watched Homestead beat Blackhurst (with Caleb Furst) last week. Loyer plays PG for Homestead, and even though he is not considered a great athlete, he makes great decisions finding the open man. Very high basketball IQ. Besides being an excellent shooter, he is not shy about driving to the basket and either hitting the shot, getting fouled, or both. He leads the nation in FT% at 95%. His current stats are 24.8 ppg, 4.8 assists, 5.3 rebs, 2.1 steals, and 0.9 blocks.

It will be interesting to see how he does next year when Goode is gone and doesn't draw a lot of the attention from the opponent's defense.

Watched Homestead knock off #1 Lawrence North of Indy in OT. Illinois commit Luke Goode had an off game for Homestead, so Loyer had to step up. 27 of the team's 55 points and his court vision won the game. He will be another fan favorite.
Goode definitely had an off night. The night before he had 41 points and 10 threes. Loyer stepped up. With that 1-2 punch, they are an excellent team.

Goode definitely had an off night. The night before he had 41 points and 10 threes. Loyer stepped up. With that 1-2 punch, they are an excellent team.
LN is very quick, big, and physical. They clearly worked hard to keep Goode out of the game. But he didn't seem as agressive as what I have seen in the past. He wasn't crashing the boards and he missed shots he normally makes. I wondered if he might be fighting a bug. But every time I see him play, I think that the Illini got a good one. He's the type of player Purdue usually recruits hard.

Reactions: MLB007
I would think Jalen Washington is considered the favorite heading into next year.
The last Mr. Basketball to come out of the region was Bryce Drew in 1994. I would doubt that Washington would get the votes for that award.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
That's true. Used to clean up recruits in the Region!
Used to? We currently have Sasha and Newman. But historically, Da Region has been kind to Purdue. At the top of my head, I can think of 4 from East Chicago, At least 6 from Gary. 3 from Crown Point. 1 from Chesterton. At least 4 from Valpo, if you include Macy and Martin that transferred. I may be missing a few more from the area.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Used to? We currently have Sasha and Newman. But historically, Da Region has been kind to Purdue. At the top of my head, I can think of 4 from East Chicago, At least 6 from Gary. 3 from Crown Point. 1 from Chesterton. At least 4 from Valpo, if you include Macy and Martin that transferred. I may be missing a few more from the area.
Kyle Macy played for the Peru Tigers....not really the Region.

IIRC, E'Twaun Moore hosts summer basketball camps in East Chicago. I wonder if Washington has attended them. Brandon Brantley and Kenneth Lowe are both on the Purdue coaching staff, so I'm sure they are using their influence.
Kenny Lowe is currently on the Miami of Ohio coaching staff.

Reactions: DAG10 and Schnelk
LN is very quick, big, and physical. They clearly worked hard to keep Goode out of the game. But he didn't seem as agressive as what I have seen in the past. He wasn't crashing the boards and he missed shots he normally makes. I wondered if he might be fighting a bug. But every time I see him play, I think that the Illini got a good one. He's the type of player Purdue usually recruits hard.

Are you in Ft area? I often wonder how many of the nay sayers or pre arrival touters have really seen these kids other than highlight reels. Very happy to have Loyer coming. But I'd take Goode in a heartbeat. We're doing very well overall and in state recruiting. But the "big boys" still keep taking some of the cream off the top. Thank God Indiana's being prolific at developing young talent.

Absolutely! I grew up calling it that AFTER visiting and hearing everyone there call it PEE-ROO.

Soo..
On Monday evening, that PEE-ROO sound awfully close to BEE-ROO..
I will take a Nama Bee-Roo (Japanese for the draft beer) on any Monday night!

Boiler Up!!

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
Are you in Ft area? I often wonder how many of the nay sayers or pre arrival touters have really seen these kids other than highlight reels. Very happy to have Loyer coming. But I'd take Goode in a heartbeat. We're doing very well overall and in state recruiting. But the "big boys" still keep taking some of the cream off the top. Thank God Indiana's being prolific at developing young talent.
I'm in Lafayette. Three of Homestead's games have been on cable this year. If you can get it, check out channel CN81. They will rebroadcast the game with Lawrence North on Jan 31 at 3:00 PM. It was a great game.

Absolutely! I grew up calling it that AFTER visiting and hearing everyone there call it PEE-ROO.
Yep. Had an aunt that lived north of Logan that had an aint that lived in Peeroo. Drove by the sign for Peru on my way back from Michigan last Monday and thought of that.

Reactions: TX4GB
Just saw that class of 2023 SG Isaac McKneely (Rivals #57) has Purdue in his final 8 (along with Virginia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisville, UNC, West Virginia, and IU) and he will be announcing his choice Saturday. He lives in Virginia and Rivals predicts he'll choose UVA.

I found it interesting that Purdue already had commitments for that class from Loyer and combo guard Jameel Brown long before McKneely announced he still had Purdue in his final 8.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned but We are the only school in B1G history to have 4 freshman get the "freshman of the week" award. Wow! That is awesome and makes me want those 2 IU trolls to come back and explain this🤣🤣
It's really quite simple. Painter's players become poorer with more time under his coaching while Archie's freshman develop over time. Oh, wait.

I just saw this on the Peru Wiki:

Elderly Hoosiers commonly use the archaic pronunciation of /ˈpiːru/PEE-roo.

That's the way you pronounce if you grow up in the Kokomo area

And it's Roooooshiaville on the way to Purdue on 26

Rossville is just Rossville

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT