ADVERTISEMENT

Will Heide displace Loyer in the long run?

Schmedly_Whiplash

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2022
No not directly. But it's obvious that Lance Jones needs to be on the floor for this team. His defense is a game changer and so is his speed and desire to push the ball to the hoop on offense. Not sure I've ever seen a guy go so fast and hard to the hole. He doesn't seem to slow at all and puts the ball hard (fast) off the backboard. Almost overshot a couple but it's obvious it's planned for and practiced. He's been a revelation (as I predicted very early on, after the scrimmage) and while I don't know that we can count on the shooting of last night, he sure brings a lot to the table. While it's mentioned backing up Braden, he's been his best WITH Braden.
Ok, but he's already been starting so what's the issue?
Cam Heide is the issue. Also taking a large step forward has been Mr. Heide and I really like what I see out of him. Soft shot, good rebounder and athlete, energetic and enthusiastic. Seems to have the growth potential and "all phases" ability that sure feels like you want him on the court as much as possible.
It's way early but his outside shot, rebounding help and hops reminds me of my all time favorite before his knee injury.
None of that is a dis on Fletcher, who's played just fine and looks to have the touch that we all expected last year. He's also not getting pushed around as much. While he's not jacked (yet) he's certainly much more solid than last year. But still going to get worked over defensively by faster guards and there's the rub. If Lance and Cam give you as much offense, they have higher ceilings in other areas. Lance for D and team speed and quickness. Cam for rebounding and being bigger and stronger.
So if Lance/Cam makes the TEAM stronger in multiple ways than Fletch/Lance does, well..........
Of course there's also chemistry and putting the right pieces together on the reserves as well, so might be more of another case of who's finishing the games versus starting.
I still think Fletcher is a guy we all love down the road, but he might be losing some pt THIS year.

Last edited:
No not directly. But it's obvious that Lance Jones needs to be on the floor for this team. His defense is a game changer and so is his speed and desire to push the ball to the hoop on offense. Not sure I've ever seen a guy go so fast and hard to the hole. He doesn't seem to slow at all and puts the ball hard (fast) off the backboard. Almost overshot a couple but it's obvious it's planned for and practiced. He's been a revelation (as I predicted very early on, after the scrimmage) and while I don't know that we can count on the shooting of last night, he sure brings a lot to the table. While it's mentioned backing up Braden, he's been his best WITH Braden.
Cam Heide is the issue. Also taking a large step forward has been Mr. Heide and I really like what I see out of him. Soft shot, good rebounder and athlete, energetic and enthusiastic. Seems to have the growth potential and "all phases" ability that sure feels like you want him on the court as much as possible.
It's way early but his outside shot, rebounding help and hops reminds me of my all time favorite before his knee injury.
None of that is a dis on Fletcher, who's played just fine and looks to have the touch that we all expected last year. He's also not getting pushed around as much. While he's not jacked (yet) he's certainly much more solid than last year. But still going to get worked over defensively by faster guards and there's the rub. If Lance and Cam give you as much offense, they have higher ceilings in other areas. Lance for D and team speed and quickness. Cam for rebounding and being bigger and stronger.
So if Lance/Cam makes the TEAM stronger in multiple ways than Fletch/Lance does, well..........
Of course there's also chemistry and putting the right pieces together on the reserves as well, so might be more of another case of who's finishing the games versus starting.
I still think Fletcher is a guy we all love down the road, but he might be losing some pt THIS year.
I believe Fletcher deserves 20(+?) minutes a game on most nights. I also think 20-25 is plenty and hopefully saves a bit of day in and day out wear and tear on his body to pay benefits as the year goes on. I believe the combination of 3 players will ultimately cut into his PT because of what they bring to the table. Jones, Colvin and Heide offer talents to the team that Fletcher can’t match. Finding the right mix is going to be the challenge and very probably will vary from game to game.

I believe Fletcher deserves 20(+?) minutes a game on most nights. I also think 20-25 is plenty and hopefully saves a bit of day in and day out wear and tear on his body to pay benefits as the year goes on. I believe the combination of 3 players will ultimately cut into his PT because of what they bring to the table. Jones, Colvin and Heide offer talents to the team that Fletcher can’t match. Finding the right mix is going to be the challenge and very probably will vary from game to game.
Well said. And I think Fletch may lead us in scoring some games still. (ok, probably 2nd). Hoping that less beating on and more rest = that drop dead shooter we know he can be.

I agree that Fletcher got wore down at the end of the season and this depth will keep him rested for later in the season when it counts. Letting all of them (Colvin, Loyer, Jones, and Heide) rotate in and out for 15-25 min per game as needed will give Painter match up options and keep everyone including Smith and Morton fresh.

Painter can make that decision. Who is practicing better, who matches up better, play the hot hand or the better defender. Whatever is needed most.

Maybe Fletcher could come off the bench as an instant offense type of guy ! A lot of final 4 teams had that 6th man who could come into the game and drain a few threes And provide a spark or keep the team going at the same level and giving starters a rest. There have been a few 6th men who were first round picks in the nba. The 6th man on Villanova was a first round pick of the bucks. He’s filling the same role in the nba that he filled at Villanova

Reactions: Gemini95

Fletcher Loyer deserves PT his production dictates. But after last game he better step it up, or some other player will replace him. I think he steps up.

I agree that Fletcher got wore down at the end of the season and this depth will keep him rested for later in the season when it counts. Letting all of them (Colvin, Loyer, Jones, and Heide) rotate in and out for 15-25 min per game as needed will give Painter match up options and keep everyone including Smith and Morton fresh.

Painter can make that decision. Who is practicing better, who matches up better, play the hot hand or the better defender. Whatever is needed most.
I think you're right. Matchups and other factors will generally dictate who gets minutes and who starts in any given game. Jones gives us a much different dimension, so I love seeing him on the court. He also seems better equipped at breaking the press.

I see fletcher competing with several players for both minutes and his shots. Many posters believe Miles will force his way into the starting lineup. Who is miles most likely going to replace to gain that starting role? It’s not going to be smith, or jones or Edey. Heidi is also going to make a push for playing time.

Listening to posters here, when Catchings arrives, he’s going to be an instant starter. His most likely spot will be the 3 spot. While he may not be taking liter’s spot, he will most likely take the shots and plays currently designed for Loyer. Being honest, Purdue only takes x amount of shots. With the addition of Catchings, the % of those shots that Loyer will take will decrease. Last year Loyer was among our top 3 offensive options. Going forward with the addition of Catchings, miles, Heide and others, will Loyer remain one of our top 3 scoring options? And if Tkr actually does something and if Harris arrives? Loyer is really going to have to step up his game to remain a starter and also continue to be one of our top 3 scoring options.

Purdue is in an enviable position that it has several players currently on the team and coming to the team next year that want to become that alpha dog.

When Edey leaves, Who is going to take over as that alpha dog? Catchings? Smith? Tkr? Loyer? Heide? Miles? In the past, Purdue has usually had a trio of top scoring option with 2 players usually in a supporting role. Going forward, I’m not sure who those top 3 scoring options will be, who will be the role players And who will force their way to become starters and who will accept coming off the bench.

I look to the future and I look at the present. Will Gillis start? Or does he accept and play a reduced role this year? I read don’t know. How much will Morton play? That will depend on how well Heide and Miles perform.

A lot of posters here are very high on miles and Heide. But Loyer is also pretty good. Benter is pretty good Furst and Tkr are supposed to be good.

There are just too many variables this year to make a prediction. The only prediction I would make is the player who plays the best defense will earn more minutes. And if a player drains all 5 of his 3 point shots and hits 90% of his free throws. He will force his way into increased playing time.

Who will that player be? We shall see

With the exception of Smith, I believe every guard on the roster is susceptible to loosing minutes if they can't hit shots. Newman, Wheeler and Stephens are all guys who showed great promise but lost minutes due to prolonged shooting slumps.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
I see fletcher competing with several players for both minutes and his shots. Many posters believe Miles will force his way into the starting lineup. Who is miles most likely going to replace to gain that starting role? It’s not going to be smith, or jones or Edey. Heidi is also going to make a push for playing time.

Listening to posters here, when Catchings arrives, he’s going to be an instant starter. His most likely spot will be the 3 spot. While he may not be taking liter’s spot, he will most likely take the shots and plays currently designed for Loyer. Being honest, Purdue only takes x amount of shots. With the addition of Catchings, the % of those shots that Loyer will take will decrease. Last year Loyer was among our top 3 offensive options. Going forward with the addition of Catchings, miles, Heide and others, will Loyer remain one of our top 3 scoring options? And if Tkr actually does something and if Harris arrives? Loyer is really going to have to step up his game to remain a starter and also continue to be one of our top 3 scoring options.

Purdue is in an enviable position that it has several players currently on the team and coming to the team next year that want to become that alpha dog.

When Edey leaves, Who is going to take over as that alpha dog? Catchings? Smith? Tkr? Loyer? Heide? Miles? In the past, Purdue has usually had a trio of top scoring option with 2 players usually in a supporting role. Going forward, I’m not sure who those top 3 scoring options will be, who will be the role players And who will force their way to become starters and who will accept coming off the bench.

I look to the future and I look at the present. Will Gillis start? Or does he accept and play a reduced role this year? I read don’t know. How much will Morton play? That will depend on how well Heide and Miles perform.

A lot of posters here are very high on miles and Heide. But Loyer is also pretty good. Benter is pretty good Furst and Tkr are supposed to be good.

There are just too many variables this year to make a prediction. The only prediction I would make is the player who plays the best defense will earn more minutes. And if a player drains all 5 of his 3 point shots and hits 90% of his free throws. He will force his way into increased playing time.

Myles

Not worried about a “top dog” but let’s worry about this year first. Heide will replace Loyer if he plays better defense and can score better. If he doesn’t , then Loyer or whomever the best at the position is, should play.

With the exception of Smith, I believe every guard on the roster is susceptible to loosing minutes if they can't hit shots. Newman, Wheeler and Stephens are all guys who showed great promise but lost minutes due to prolonged shooting slumps.
Newman lost minutes because he was a horrible passer and took bad shots.

I for one would like to see more Heine tonight
heineken.gif

• Haha
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

FYI.....for future reference, you can edit the title of a thread easily. This might be a time to practice that, unless that was intentional? Heine? Laughed when I saw that btw. 😎

Fletcher Loyer deserves PT his production dictates. But after last game he better step it up, or some other player will replace him. I think he steps up.
This.

I want to believe that all these guys are competitors and they understand the concept of meritocracy….

Do your job at both ends — if you want regular playing time!

Lore did just fine. He plays fast, and smart, and he is a good passer. If Heide is going to replace anyone of the starters, I vote for TKR.
:cool:
Yeah, I started getting bummed about TKR last night. Has he shot a shot that WASN"T a backed in, half hook over the left shoulder???????? Cuz that's ALL I see happening there.
WHERE is the mid range jumper that he showed early. Now he gets the ball 10' from the basket and open, but he drops down, puts a shoulder into his defender and backs his way into the lane. Same as always.
WHERE is the dynamic beast that played in the inter squad scrimmage and destroyed Caleb Furst?
Where is the impressive play that lead all the coaches and team to mention him when asked 'who is flashing'?
WTF has happened to him? He's last year at this point.
And that' ain't cutting it.
Was no coincidence who played 2nd half.

Yeah, I started getting bummed about TKR last night. Has he shot a shot that WASN"T a backed in, half hook over the left shoulder???????? Cuz that's ALL I see happening there.
WHERE is the dynamic beast that played in the inter squad scrimmage and destroyed Caleb Furst?
Where is the impressive play that lead all the coaches and team to mention him when asked 'who is flashing'?
WTF has happened to him? He's last year at this point.
And that' ain't cutting it.
Was no coincidence who played 2nd half.
I agree…saw such huge improvement from him and it hasn’t translated to the games at this point. Hopefully, that changes. Wonder what CMP is going to do going forward.

Many may not be aware, but Heide was the higher recruit out of Smith, Loyer and himself . Injuries were just a problem for him.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash
FYI.....for future reference, you can edit the title of a thread easily. This might be a time to practice that, unless that was intentional? Heine? Laughed when I saw that btw. 😎
Poor Heide will continue to be the victim of spell corrections. I hope "Heine" doesn't become the next "Tacos".

Will Heide replace Loyer? I sure hope so! Those skinny, frail Jeff Hornacek types are fine as a 6th man spark, as Wolegib suggests, but give me athletes.

I think Colvin is in the mix to replace Loyer or Smith to be honest, not only Heide, they both look fantastic to me, Heide is more active on offense, but Colvin can flat out shoot and is so athletic.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
I think Colvin is in the mix to replace Loyer or Smith to be honest, not only Heide, they both look fantastic to me, Heide is more active on offense, but Colvin can flat out shoot and is so athletic.
The offense would be in absolute shambles if Smith were replaced by Colvin. Have you seen the offense when smith is out? Colvin is looking to be realllly good, but he wouldn’t play point. He’d take mins away from Fletch or Lance….but he isn’t playing the 1.

As was stated by others, you don’t get much more safe than Smith is right now. His offensive play is tremendous. He and Edey are a nightmare combination to defend this season.

Loyer is also pretty safe, in my opinion. It’s the 3 and 4 positions that are pretty much up in the air right now. The two players who are making a case with their play for expanded minutes are Colvin and Heide. It should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Reactions: Lee3370
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT