ADVERTISEMENT

Will Heide displace Loyer in the long run?

I think Loyer should be displaced in the starting lineup, but I am begining to think Colvin should be the starter. Is Colvin's d that bad, or lack of ball movement? Its early and i got zero pre-season games and out here in AZ, but that shooting of Colvin's is legit AF. With Eddy getting so much attention underneath and Smith passing, just think he fits in nicely in the starting lineup.

Heide works well too, more of a true SF than a 3 guard offense, but at the college level the 3 guard offense works really well.

After watching the much hyped Purdue team of the late 70’s not come close to their preseason predictions Because they had too many guards and bozos taking perimeter shots rather than just feeding Joe Barry and being aggressive getting offensive rebounds!

One area that always bothered me is too many players either just stand there and watch their 3 point shot or they take the shot and run back on defense. And nobody ever follows up on their shot to get the offensive rebound . They just believe the shot will go in or that our center will be able to collect every missed shot. I look at the bulls championship teams! They always had two guys in the paint grabbing the offensive rebounds. They didn’t have 4 perimeter shooters. They just allowed their guards and pollen to take more shots. And guys like Rodman and grant and Cartwright and the other grant would be in the paint.

How about the last 4 ncaa tournament games where our 3 couldn’t make a shot? A talker 3 might have driven more to the basket, grabbed more rebounds rather than firing up air balls from the perimeter. If we had a taller 3, we would also play a different style of game. What’s wrong with having a twin towers?
That team in the late 70s was in the FF and placed #3 in the NCAA tournament. How is that not coming close to preseason predictions?

Technical or sophisticated are nuanced enough that it is hard to agree or disagree with "sophisticated". We do know that "sets" are less technical and sophisticated than full motion. However, the clock for the most part I think eliminates motion 100% due to the clock all game. STill, those sets come with reads and so it is just the general starting movement of the set that may differ from full motion I believe. All that said...many players and commentators have stated the massive numbers of sets Purdue has and so that number alone makes it a bit more technical and sophisticated. I think dribble drive...dribble drive with location replacement is simpler as is pushing the ball. There it is more about the players I believe. When Jones gets the ball at half court and races down for a layup, the only sophistication was for Braden to see that and get him the ball early in the half court. Take away the shot clock and let coaches coach the talent they have how they want and the technicality and sophistication differences will be much more obvious. When the rules try to make the game more one dimensional stacked with more similar player attributes, then the differences are more blurred IMO

Add to this that every "set" has multiple options based on what the D gives and takes away. In true motion offense, there is no set that runs from beginning to end in the same way. Nothing should be forced

giphy.gif

That team in the late 70s was in the FF and placed #3 in the NCAA tournament. How is that not coming close to preseason predictions?
I’m talking about the team of Jordan and company. - not the team after jordan, Parker walls and white left. Once Jordan and company left, the team with Joe Barry did a lot better! You are mistaking Joe Barry’s team with the one that received all the preseason hype! The Joe Barry team was 1980, not the late 70’s.

I think Loyer should be displaced in the starting lineup, but I am begining to think Colvin should be the starter. Is Colvin's d that bad, or lack of ball movement? Its early and i got zero pre-season games and out here in AZ, but that shooting of Colvin's is legit AF. With Eddy getting so much attention underneath and Smith passing, just think he fits in nicely in the starting lineup.

Heide works well too, more of a true SF than a 3 guard offense, but at the college level the 3 guard offense works really well.
You got a nice peak at some real freshman plays last night. Defense yes, and ball handling, yes. Gonna be an awesome player, but not quite yet. Not consistently anyway

Reactions: Lee3370
You saw Colvin and Heide play very scared tonite. They are not ready for big minutes yet, but hopefully will be.
There was one shot of the bench in the second half where Colvin's facial expression was definitely off - not sure what was going on, but it seemed like he was having an off night.

The key to starting on a Painter team is the ability and desire to play defense! Every player that comes to Purdue knows that Painter demands it and also as a coach, he develops it! Myles knew this when he came here! I believe he looks forward to the challenges ahead!

Reactions: rwenger
Yeah, he had to guard Knecht for a spell lol. Last night was a man's game and Myles wasn't quite ready is all.
And he also had that easy rebound he probably has brought down 100 times out of 100 go off his leg as he took his eye off it just for a second. Had a bad foul on the pocket 3, but it was good learning for the rook to
Understand what he still needs to work on so that he can get to the next gear. I hope we keep throwing him into the fire all year (and Heide too)

And he also had that easy rebound he probably has brought down 100 times out of 100 go off his leg as he took his eye off it just for a second. Had a bad foul on the pocket 3, but it was good learning for the rook to
Understand what he still needs to work on so that he can get to the next gear. I hope we keep throwing him into the fire all year (and Heide too)
It seemed like it all started snowballing on him. It all had been coming to easy for him and this was bound to happen. He’ll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT