ADVERTISEMENT

Woodson making a splash in the old transfer pool!

True true.

Sparks is already an excellent addition for IU, but IU needs some guys. More returning than some Big10 teams though-UM, PSU, Iowa, Illinois, Minny, are really hurting.

Anyway, for the OP; going to a rival board to brag about chickens that haven’t hatched yet is risky bad form. Posts like the one that started this thread tend not to age well.
You're assuming the OP is a member of ANY board.

True true.

Sparks is already an excellent addition for IU, but IU needs some guys. More returning than some Big10 teams though-UM, PSU, Iowa, Illinois, Minny, are really hurting.

Anyway, for the OP; going to a rival board to brag about chickens that haven’t hatched yet is risky bad form. Posts like the one that started this thread tend not to age well.

B1G could be historically bad next year.

Purdue will obviously be strong again in regular season if Edey returns.

MSU could be good if they get some of those COVID SRs to return to mesh with that Freshmen class.

Maryland, OSU, Rutgers might be decent if they play to their talent.

Not sure who NW, WISKY have back with Covid years, but neither will be anything to be scared of if Booie, Wahl, etc are done.

IU, ILL, MICH, Iowa have a ton of work to do in the portal.

*references tons of posts on this board about “talented but lazy” Trayce Jackson Davis.
Maybe. Did Dana Altman say that about TJD? Stats done lie though

Here is a non KHC take:

NBA draft experts took notice. You can bet scouts did, too. To wit:

“Ware’s freshman season has been a disaster since losing his spot in the starting lineup in mid-December,” wrote ESPN’s Jonathan Givony earlier this month. “He hasn’t been able to bring the competitiveness or intensity needed in games or practices to earn any trust or momentum from coach Dana Altman, and his feel for the game has been severely lacking. Ware will need to perform very well in the pre-draft process, especially in interviews, to combat the significant negativity that is currently surrounding him off the court.”

Reactions: Poprudy
B1G could be historically bad next year.

Purdue will obviously be strong again in regular season if Edey returns.

MSU could be good if they get some of those COVID SRs to return to mesh with that Freshmen class.

Maryland, OSU, Rutgers might be decent if they play to their talent.

Not sure who NW, WISKY have back with Covid years, but neither will be anything to be scared of if Booie, Wahl, etc are done.

IU, ILL, MICH, Iowa have a ton of work to do in the portal.
Still a lot of time to go in the portal - if no big moves happen in the portal, I 100% agree the B1G will be historically bad.

Maybe. Did Dana Altman say that about TJD? Stats done lie though

Here is a non KHC take:

NBA draft experts took notice. You can bet scouts did, too. To wit:

“Ware’s freshman season has been a disaster since losing his spot in the starting lineup in mid-December,” wrote ESPN’s Jonathan Givony earlier this month. “He hasn’t been able to bring the competitiveness or intensity needed in games or practices to earn any trust or momentum from coach Dana Altman, and his feel for the game has been severely lacking. Ware will need to perform very well in the pre-draft process, especially in interviews, to combat the significant negativity that is currently surrounding him off the court.”
That’s accurately quoted, but a very different view than the opinion ( which ur entitled to) that
“He’s a guy with no motor. You cannot change that. Enjoy Hanner 2.0”

Besides, Perea’s problem wasn’t motor, it was terrible hands and balance no matter how hard he played.

Btw, Ware hasn’t committed to IU yet. Sparks has, and his calling card is his motor.

Last edited:
That’s accurately quoted, but a very different view than the opinion ( which ur entitled to) that

Besides, Perea’s problem wasn’t motor, it was terrible hands and balance no matter how hard he played.

Btw, Ware hasn’t committed to IU yet. Sparks has, and his calling card is his motor.
I watched Sparks play in person 7 or 8 times last year and 3 or 4 times the year before and IU is getting a great kid attitude wise and he does have a motor- plays hard. Has a good body , but not real big for a center- 6'8" I would say actually, he can throw down dunks, but has no ball skills in passing, shooting or dribbling. He is a bigger version of Geronimo for you.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
I watched Sparks play in person 7 or 8 times last year and 3 or 4 times the year before and IU is getting a great kid attitude wise and he does have a motor- plays hard. Has a good body , but not real big for a center- 6'8" I would say actually, he can throw down dunks, but has no ball skills in passing, shooting or dribbling. He is a bigger version of Geronimo for you.
I suppose that kind of lunch pail, great kid in the locker room, banger profile translates better to Sparks' projection as 15 minutes a game in the post. Geronimo had better athleticism than Sparks but was only about 6'5" and 25 pounds lighter. They tried him away from the post and as you said, with lousy ball handling, passing, and decision making it did not go well. Sparks won't ever see the perimeter. May be my crimson glasses hoping though.

In any event, Geronimo was probably poorly utilized at IU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed in a different program with a different system.

Last edited:

Btw, Ware hasn’t committed to IU yet.
Looks like he’ll be a IU commit, good hit for them, anyone that says otherwise is wrong. He’s likel
I suppose that kind of lunch pail, great kid in the locker room, banger profile translates better to Sparks' projection as 15 minutes a game in the post. Geronimo had better athleticism than Sparks but was only about 6'5" and 25 pounds lighter. They tried him away from the post and as you said, with lousy ball handling, passing, and decision making it did not go well. Sparks won't ever see the perimeter. May be my crimson glasses hoping though.

In any event, Geronimo was probably poorly utilized at IU. Wouldn't be surprised to see him succeed in a different program with a different system.
Sparks will be a better player than Geronimo for IU, he’s a nice 20 minute a game player. I could see a 12 and 7 guy.

Looks like he’ll be a IU commit, good hit for them, anyone that says otherwise is wrong. He’s likel
Sparks will be a better player than Geronimo for IU, he’s a nice 20 minute a game player. I could see a 12 and 7 guy.

12 and 7 in 20 minutes? That's Zach Edey level production in his sophomore year (which was one of the most efficient, if not the most efficient, in CBB that year).

I would put him around 8 and 5, he's a below the rim player in a physical league now.

Reactions: purduedavie
IU will have trouble replacing TJD and Scitfino production, middle of the BT at best! Ware checks in at 210 lbs! Hard to battle with that body, 6' Smith weights in @ 180!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
12 and 7 in 20 minutes? That's Zach Edey level production in his sophomore year (which was one of the most efficient, if not the most efficient, in CBB that year).

I would put him around 8 and 5, he's a below the rim player in a physical league now.
My bad on that, if he’s 12 and 7 he’ll play more than 20 minutes.

IU will have trouble replacing TJD and Scitfino production, middle of the BT at best! Ware checks in at 210 lbs! Hard to battle with that body, 6' Smith weights in @ 180!
Agreed, Purdue/MSU the favorites as of now it looks like. I see Tyson Walker returned for a 5th year.

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Why are IU fans pinning all their hopes on a 7 footer who averages 6 points per game? He scored 2 points in 15 minutes against Wisconsin.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

At very best be could be a Zed Key, but he is the exception, not the rule for undersized centers in the B1G. IU really needs Reneau to make the sophomore leap.

Why are IU fans pinning all their hopes on a 7 footer who averages 6 points per game? He scored 2 points in 15 minutes against Wisconsin.
He also scored 17 against UCONN. Not sure how good he’ll be, however, if they get him it’s a good move on paper. Portal guys are crap shoots, getting the #2 ranked one isn’t a bad thing.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
He also scored 17 against UCONN. Not sure how good he’ll be, however, if they get him it’s a good move on paper. Portal guys are crap shoots, getting the #2 ranked one isn’t a bad thing.

Idk, UCONN won that game by 20+. Is scoring 17 in a blowout loss worth noting?

He could end up playing well, but IU just had another 5* big that mustard up 1 win in 2 seasons in the tournament and underachieving in the B1G under Woodson.

I can tell you one thing with certainty. If Zach were in the portal, IU fans would swear up and down they'd want this guy from Oregon over him because Zach isn't really any good, he's just tall. I mean, if he were 6' 4", no way he'd be consensus NPOY. :rolleyes:

He could end up playing well, but IU just had another 5* big that mustard up 1 win in 2 seasons in the tournament and underachieving in the B1G under Woodson.
Look, I know most hate IU, I really don’t care much about them but as a kid I was diehard IU, loved Isiah Thomas lol. Anyway, getting the #2/ former burger boy on paper helps them, I have no clue how good he’ll be, didn’t watch much Oregon, their court drives me crazy.

Reactions: Middawg
Look, I know most hate IU, I really don’t care much about them but as a kid I was diehard IU, loved Isiah Thomas lol. Anyway, getting the #2/ former burger boy on paper helps them, I have no clue how good he’ll be, didn’t watch much Oregon, their court drives me crazy.
"Could" and "no clue" are what will need answered under Woodson. I'm just just telling the facts under his leadership as of now.

I can tell you Painter has successfully made under recruited players better(NPOY, all-B1G freshmen, B1G Championship and B1G tourney champs) Does or has that equated in the tournament as of late? Not really. "Could" that change? We will find out.

Are you suggesting that TJD did not thrive under Woodson? I have no idea whether Ware will improve and live up to his potential but the idea that TJD was anything less than great under Woodson is absurd.

Are you suggesting that TJD did not thrive under Woodson? I have no idea whether Ware will improve and live up to his potential but the idea that TJD was anything less than great under Woodson is absurd.
I think TJD was great the last third or so of the season. Whether that was a function of Woodson or a function of his nasty letter...or just realizing he needed to step it up to get to where he wanted to go I don't know. However, it seemed to come together after the letter as far as timing. It isn't just the coaches, but the players have to do the things others don't want to do to reach his or her ceiling. Dale's genes gifted TJD with the potential and then TJD needed to apply it...which he did I'm thinking the last third of so of the season. He was really good before, but went to outstanding at the end.

Ok, then how? Was it growth of a typical athlete 5*? Was there a huge gape between his sophomore year and his senior? Did he develop a mid range shot?

What makes you think he made this huge jump in 2 years under Woodson? He was a senior 5* athlete projected to be B1G POTY and preseason NPOTY and a player ranked #436 out paced him.

Ok, then how? Was it growth of a typical athlete 5*? Was there a huge gape between his sophomore year and his senior? Did he develop a mid range shot?

What makes you think he made this huge jump in 2 years under Woodson? He was a senior 5* athlete projected to be B1G POTY and preseason NPOTY and a player ranked #436 out paced him.
Referencing Edey's ranking is silly. Edey is an enormous talent. Painter has done a great job developing him but let's not pretend like Edey isn't a uniquely talented kid.

As for TJD, he doubled his per game assists totals this past year, increased his per game points, boards, blocks and steals, all the while decreasing his per game fouls. You don't have to like Woodson, TJD or IU to objectively recognize the growth in TJD's play as a senior.

Again, none of this means that Ware will succeed at IU but acting like TJD didn't develop under Woodson is just head in the sand stuff.

I think TJD was great the last third or so of the season. Whether that was a function of Woodson or a function of his nasty letter...or just realizing he needed to step it up to get to where he wanted to go I don't know. However, it seemed to come together after the letter as far as timing. It isn't just the coaches, but the players have to do the things others don't want to do to reach his or her ceiling. Dale's genes gifted TJD with the potential and then TJD needed to apply it...which he did I'm thinking the last third of so of the season. He was really good before, but went to outstanding at the end.
Exactly, I'm not sure it was Woodson's coaching vs TJD just being flat out good/great for most of his career. I personally think he played to his recruitment as a player and personally think under a better coach he should've boosted his playing ability to a first round. IMO

Referencing Edey's ranking is silly. Edey is an enormous talent. Painter has done a great job developing him but let's not pretend like Edey isn't a uniquely talented kid.

As for TJD, he doubled his per game assists totals this past year, increased his per game points, boards, blocks and steals, all the while decreasing his per game fouls. You don't have to like Woodson, TJD or IU to objectively recognize the growth in TJD's play as a senior.

Again, none of this means that Ware will succeed at IU but acting like TJD didn't develop under Woodson is just head in the sand stuff.
Exactly right. Edey isn't uniquely talented, but TJD is. That's why a better coach would've/could've gotten more out of TJD. He had potential to develop a mid range shot and I never seen that in his game and that is the knock on Woodson's coaching. TJD was going to be all-B1G without Woodson...so, what did Woodson do for his game that wasn't already established?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT