ADVERTISEMENT

Will the Boilers have a potent offense?

Woodsa

Redshirt Freshman
Jul 18, 2004
Building on last year and what we saw in the bowl game, what are your thoughts on how potent (based on yards or points) our offense will be?

I would love to see in game one, some 600 yards of offense with points to match. Having 100% red zone efficiency with most of that coming through touchdowns.

What say you.

Reactions: pboiler18
Would love to see 100+ yards of rushing on a regular basis. That has been a key to unlocking full offensive potential, having just enough ground threat to keep the defense honest. And just enough time of possession to keep OUR defense from being gassed in Q4.

I don't take much from the bowl game, as it was an exhibition against a team with a severely depleted defense. In most Big Ten games the yards will be harder to come by. There wasn't a single regular season game last year in which the offense eclipsed 600 yards of offense, not even the MSU outburst. 450 total ypg is a more realistic goal, which would have been good for #2 in the conference last season.

450 total ypg is a more realistic goal, which would have been good for #2 in the conference last season.
I'm with you. 600 yards would be an outlier. If a game is in hand with 14+ points in mid 4th quarter, I'd expect we'd see more 2nd team players than ever since Purdue is trying to develop players and has more of a full two deep B1G roster.
Only Joe Tiller would step on the neck and keep the pedal to the medal in games we could win. Helps when you have Drew Brees as your QB and are trying to pad stats for Heisman candidacy.

As stated in other posts, OL and running game will dictate our offense.

I am glad the Special Team coach left. I am hoping that Special Teams can help the offense out this year.

For the last few years, we seem to fair catch every punt, and the kickoff returns didn't do anything for us. I am hopeful the Iowa transfer can be a weapon this year in those areas.

If we could anything out of Special Teams, that can also assist our offense in better field position to score.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
As stated in other posts, OL and running game will dictate our offense.

I am glad the Special Team coach left. I am hoping that Special Teams can help the offense out this year.

For the last few years, we seem to fair catch every punt, and the kickoff returns didn't do anything for us. I am hopeful the Iowa transfer can be a weapon this year in those areas.

If we could anything out of Special Teams, that can also assist our offense in better field position to score.
Faircatches were more a function of return talent than scheme. We havent had a capable punt returner since frankie williams.

Faircatches were more a function of return talent than scheme. We havent had a capable punt returner since frankie williams.

I would argue that Rondale could have been pretty good. However, the blocking didn't seem so hot...

Good question. I could see us piling up huge yardage numbers but not as many points as we should.

As a side note: Provided he's healthy, I definitely see the single season Purdue passing yardage record going to Oconnell.
307 a game over 13 games gives him the purdue record.

Reactions: pboiler18
I'm with you. 600 yards would be an outlier. If a game is in hand with 14+ points in mid 4th quarter, I'd expect we'd see more 2nd team players than ever since Purdue is trying to develop players and has more of a full two deep B1G roster.
Only Joe Tiller would step on the neck and keep the pedal to the medal in games we could win. Helps when you have Drew Brees as your QB and are trying to pad stats for Heisman candidacy.
So you do not think Brohm will consider AOC’s Heisman aspirations when determining who plays in a blowout?

So you do not think Brohm will consider AOC’s Heisman aspirations when determining who plays in a blowout?
I don’t. Think the key is to get the comfortable lead, get the win, keep AOC and some other key starters healthy to make it to the next game. Plus, our 2’s and 3’s will need all the game reps they can get. Just my opinion.

Reactions: boilermaker75
I don’t. Think the key is to get the comfortable lead, get the win, keep AOC and some other key starters healthy to make it to the next game. Plus, our 2’s and 3’s will need all the game reps they can get. Just my opinion.
Well, Jack Mollenkopf was not a former QB, and was essentially a defensive minded coach, but when he had three Heisman candidates in four years he generally let them play most of the game regardless of the score.

Wasn’t sure if this was TIC but he’s not even in the conversation currently. Vegas has odds on 14 QBs in the hunt and Aidan ain’t one of ‘em.

If Purdue goes 10-2 he is in the hunt. How high do you think Burrow was in Vegas? He was not in the top 28 in preseason and odds were 200-1
10-2 won't get him the Heisman. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen. The Heisman is Stroud's or Young's to lose. Just the way it is.

Reactions: Abugabby
RE: O'Connell Heisman

I dont know. 10-2 with gaudy numbers and a GREAT back story. He'd certainly be in the conversation IMO.
Brees put up gaudy numbers and led Purdue to the first Rose Bowl in decades. And he wasn't really in serious consideration for the Heisman. Yeah, he got to go the ceremony. But he was never gonna win it.

I’d say 4-1 are the actual odds for him to make it to NY. Call it the Kenny Pickett slot but if we go 10-2, win the west and he puts up crazy numbers he could end up with enough votes to get a free NYC trip.

Hopefully with loss of Bell and Wright, the receivers play well to get good numbers for O’Connell!

Brees put up gaudy numbers and led Purdue to the first Rose Bowl in decades. And he wasn't really in serious consideration for the Heisman. Yeah, he got to go the ceremony. But he was never gonna win it.
Not intending to argue, but Purdue was only 8-3 and got their ass handed to them @MSU 2nd to last game of the year.

Reactions: bonefish1
Building on last year and what we saw in the bowl game, what are your thoughts on how potent (based on yards or points) our offense will be?

I would love to see in game one, some 600 yards of offense with points to match. Having 100% red zone efficiency with most of that coming through touchdowns.

What say you.
Having Milton Wright would have helped. I'm still amazed, that a guy who had serious NFL potential and the opportunity to earn millions $, can't figure out a way to manage a bunch of C- grades in a bunch of cupcake classes.

10-2 won't get him the Heisman. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen. The Heisman is Stroud's or Young's to lose. Just the way it is.

I think 10-2 definitley gets you in the team picture, but you need to have big games against big teams and win those games on National TV.
Putting up 600 yards and 6 TDs vs Little Sisters of the Poor won't do it.
Also depends on if the front runners lay a few eggs with bad games at the right time.

Also, if the Purdue Ath Dept thinks AOC has any shot (Brohm probably knows better than anybody), then they need to get the PR machine in high gear. It's part popularity/beauty contest as well as performance.

I’d say 4-1 are the actual odds for him to make it to NY. Call it the Kenny Pickett slot but if we go 10-2, win the west and he puts up crazy numbers he could end up with enough votes to get a free NYC trip.
Those odds seem really optimistic. 4-1 might be the number if Purdue goes 10-2, which itself is maybe a 20-1 shot. There is a much better chance that Purdue wins <9 games, the offense sputters against good defenses, inclement weather rains on the Brohm-fense, etc. Based on history, the odds of a starting QB not making it through the season healthy is much greater than the odds of Purdue winning 10 games.

Gotta love the offseason. Hope springs eternal..

Reactions: Boiler Addict
4:1 odds he is one of the 4 finalists? You know there are actually Vegas odds on the heisman and he is +10000 and there are 34 players with better odds. If all you all really believe he has a chance you’re not putting your money where your mouth is.

4:1 odds he is one of the 4 finalists? You know there are actually Vegas odds on the heisman and he is +10000 and there are 34 players with better odds. If all you all really believe he has a chance you’re not putting your money where your mouth is.
I’ve got a $50 ticket with those odds @MGM that he wins. The other 2 books I went to wouldn’t make odds on him making NY.

I am confident in my assertions.

there’s this thing called being underrated. Being a Purdue fan I thought you’d understand! Don’t sound like the guy who thought Ivey wasn’t a top 5 or even a lottery pick!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT