ADVERTISEMENT

Why are some conservatives so against Ukraine?

BoilersRock

All-American
May 29, 2001
indiana
imgur.com
Is it because
  • we shouldn't be sending so much money over there to support them?
  • Is it because the Biden family is so intertwined with their leadership?
  • Ukraine simply isn't our problem?
  • Ukraine is far more wicked than we know (or admit)?
I don't think it's because they support Putin. So what is it? I would genuinely like to know.

Biden's handling of Ukraine and his leadership to further strengthen and unite NATO is a huge foreign policy win for him. Republicans are trying to reverse that, even if it means compromising US national security.

Is it because
I don't think it's because they support Putin. So what is it? I would genuinely like to know.
Well I'm not that conservative, but for me it's like this. We budget like 700 Billion, give or take, for defense annually. We pay for a standing Army. Why are we paying for all this if we aren't going to use it? The money spent on Ukraine is mostly unfunded. We could have curb stomped Russia the second they crossed the border into Ukraine. Now we are essentially arms dealers without positive control of the assets. It's risky, and expensive in the extreme, not to mention it drags out the suffering of the region.

Reactions: bonefish1
My thoughts are more in line with LedZep. It's mostly just to be adversarial, regardless of whether it helps or harms the USA. If the party tags were reversed, it would be the other party being anti-Ukraine.

Is it because
I'm very conservative and supporting Ukraine is the only thing Biden has done right. The only thing. If Ukraine falls, Putin will be emboldened to invade a NATO country.

Most of it is just the cost, which just keeps going up.

Add to that, we didn't initially send Ukraine what they asked for to help with defense, still haven't really, and you can't help but wonder, that if we had, this would be over.

So, it's a combination of just never-ending funding and mismanagement of the situation with regard to weapons support. Just seems like Biden thinks, if you throw enough money at it, it will fix itself. That's usually not a good strategy and rarely actually works.

Is it because
Because it has nothing to do with the US. Look at a map. Ukraine is not a NATO member.

And yet, despite that, our incompetent administration has us in position to suddenly be in a direct conflict with a nuclear power - again, for something that has nothing to do with the US.

Mostly 1 and 4. Also because Putin is crazy and might go nuclear and I have no faith that this administration will respond in a way that is beneficial to America.

But LedZep is speaking mostly nonsense. A "strong" NATO relies mostly on a strong US, so supporting a non-NATO country is irrelevant to making NATO "strong". Ukraine does not make NATO stronger if added, it just spreads out US obligations even further.

Mostly 1 and 4. Also because Putin is crazy and might go nuclear and I have no faith that this administration will respond in a way that is beneficial to America.

But LedZep is speaking mostly nonsense. A "strong" NATO relies mostly on a strong US, so supporting a non-NATO country is irrelevant to making NATO "strong". Ukraine does not make NATO stronger if added, it just spreads out US obligations even further.
Good point, except the NATO countries have multiples of the wealth of Russia and can afford their own NATO if they want it, without the US in it.

It should be clearer now than ever that Russia does not have the military capability to invade the NATO countries. We should get out of the NATO scam - not that there is any chance we will since it creates a great market for our corrupt mil-industrial-foreign policy establishment.

I am of the mind that as our military goes, so does our hegemony and economy. Also, any chance to beat back our chief adversary is always a good thing. Maybe that comes from growing up during the Reagan years.

I saw a stat this morning that the amount of money that’s been sent to Ukraine is double what the U.S spends, annually, on roads, bridges, and other transportation infrastructure.

Where'd you see that stat? Pillow man feeding you fake information again?

Did mommy give you some extra electronic time today? How cute
What's the matter? Are you going to find that "stat" again? I'll give you some more of the same advice as before, you need to vet your sources better and don't believe everything you hear and want to believe as true.

I am of the mind that as our military goes, so does our hegemony and economy. Also, any chance to beat back our chief adversary is always a good thing. Maybe that comes from growing up during the Reagan years.
What? You think Russia is our chief adversary?

What's the matter? Are you going to find that "stat" again? I'll give you some more of the same advice as before, you need to vet your sources better and don't believe everything you hear and want to believe as true.
It will never not be funny that jr thought the MyPillow guy was going to get the election overturned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT