ADVERTISEMENT

Valparaiso - Purdue Game Discussion Thread

IT =
73108-EDC14556-6DC3-46D6-B203-BC24E51349CF-0-1482111250.gif
That would be a cool cucumber, right Pit? Boiler Up Bro!

Reactions: PU pit bull
Boilers escape! 68-61, with a 45-27 edge in the final stanza.

Sometimes you just got to pull it out with a struggle. Credit the Boilers for much better effort and play in the second half and finally hitting some FT's down the stretch. Won't be able to get away with a first half like that in conference play.

It's beverage time.
You're late. Make it a double. No, triple! BTFU!

IT played 36 minutes tonight. More than Newman and Edey put together. Thank goodness the veterans showed up tonight. The freshmen will be good this year, just not as consistent as the veterans.

Reactions: Boiler8285
IT played 36 minutes tonight. More than Newman and Edey put together. Thank goodness the veterans showed up tonight. The freshmen will be good this year, just not as consistent as the veterans.
I wouldn't call any of the veterans consistent, at all. But they got the job done tonight...

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
good teams find ways to win ugly. bad teams like to say their stats were better.

Wheeler needs to hit those open 3's, he does some little things, however, for a 4th yr in the program player he's been a disappointment.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
Wheeler may not be the best 3 point shooter but on a team of shooters he doesn't have to be. We need about 10 points a night from him but more importantly we need him to rebound and play aggressive and he has been doing that so far pretty much all season.

I know he is the forums whipping boy like Grady was and someone new will be once Wheeler leaves, but he has already shown a lot of improvement in a lot of different areas so far this season. Which only further indicates a lot of his woes were mental and impacted by a now removed cancer.

Wheeler may not be the best 3 point shooter but on a team of shooters he doesn't have to be. We need about 10 points a night from him but more importantly we need him to rebound and play aggressive and he has been doing that so far pretty much all season.

I know he is the forums whipping boy like Grady was and someone new will be once Wheeler leaves, but he has already shown a lot of improvement in a lot of different areas so far this season. Which only further indicates a lot of his woes were mental and impacted by a now removed cancer.
I remember the moaning about Grady at the beginning of his senior year. We need him to be that type of role player. Just needs to knock down 1 or 2 outside shots a game like Grady did that broke the back of our opponents. I liked what I saw last night. No turnovers and the boards were very good. Having Hunter back will also help with the offensive flow for the rest of the team while our young guards gain more experience.

Let's go Boilers tonight!
Great game for the Boilers!

Poorly played game by the boilers. Too tired last night to write anything and hope I’m not contradicted somewhere since the game was played. 😉 It was evident to me that Purdue was not focused coming out of the gate and consequently different players and different times were trying to do too much, but not on the same page as the rest of the team. When I see sloppy passes…passes without due care to place the ball close to the shooting pocket and instead between the knees and waist…you have your first sign of lack of focus. When you have people taking an early shot…out a bit farther and a bit of a force…you know that not enough things are going on correct that the players (more than one) are rushing a bit…and the preceding things the little things to produce a better shot were absent. When you see players “rushing things” or being in a hurry instead of just being quick, you see players trying hard, but in the tug of war pulling out of cadence.

Not surprised and expected. Sure Oakland and Clemson were different styles, but “I” believe that the focus was there for Oakland. Coming off a loss and facing a team that somehow took Michigan to OT had the attention of the Boilers. Beating Oakland as Purdue did allowed the young players to think the Valpo game would be easier and now the Boilers would just go out an dominate the team that hasn’t beat anyone. Purdue is not the first team to do this and something all coaches try to prevent, but humanity vices are imbued in all of us and not performing our best at all times is as common as death.

Beside the less practice this year, being short on players during practice…a few still sick or injured, the team that is VERY youthful will have some growing pains. One thing that perhaps others have noted that “MAY” be huge is the players separated from the coaches. We are all used to seeing coaches give tips to individual players while on the bench and those tips are more numerous with young players which Purdue has a lot. THAT didn’t happen and so the youth will only pickup in the general comments of the huddle and at halftime…not when things happen. This places players a bit on an island away from the coaches and the issues magnified in younger players. A senior going through his last year may find motivation on his own for his last year. More youthful players have the “time” that seniors don’t and so the urgency is not as ingrained in many players. Players HAVE to mentally prepare for war coming out of the gates as there is no Mackey crowd to intimidate some players on the opposing team, nor motivate the Purdue players. That motivation has to come from inside and has to be realistic in understanding that the other team has good players as well and upsets happen every year.

This game was good for Purdue. Now, we can watch and see if the team grows as a result…knowing there will be regression at different times through the year. We can hope the regression is short lived and less frequent as the season goes on. Some smart players on this team…some motivated players on this team, but the youth will always have to fight that urge for complacency after a big win.

I remember the moaning about Grady at the beginning of his senior year. We need him to be that type of role player. Just needs to knock down 1 or 2 outside shots a game like Grady did that broke the back of our opponents. I liked what I saw last night. No turnovers and the boards were very good. Having Hunter back will also help with the offensive flow for the rest of the team while our young guards gain more experience.
Exactly. With as many outside shooters we need more than Tre/Edy to be around the basket to rebound and Wheeler gives us that. As you said if he fills the same roll Grady did, it forces the defense to stay honest and opens everyone else up.

Last season Wheeler would of be jacking up threes. So far this season he isn't doing that, well, nearly as much. He had a very athletic steal and kept several shots "alive" around the rim. I hope he keeps it going as that type of play can be very helpful.

Great game for the Boilers!

Poorly played game by the boilers. Too tired last night to write anything and hope I’m not contradicted somewhere since the game was played. 😉 It was evident to me that Purdue was not focused coming out of the gate and consequently different players and different times were trying to do too much, but not on the same page as the rest of the team. When I see sloppy passes…passes without due care to place the ball close to the shooting pocket and instead between the knees and waist…you have your first sign of lack of focus. When you have people taking an early shot…out a bit farther and a bit of a force…you know that not enough things are going on correct that the players (more than one) are rushing a bit…and the preceding things the little things to produce a better shot were absent. When you see players “rushing things” or being in a hurry instead of just being quick, you see players trying hard, but in the tug of war pulling out of cadence.

Not surprised and expected. Sure Oakland and Clemson were different styles, but “I” believe that the focus was there for Oakland. Coming off a loss and facing a team that somehow took Michigan to OT had the attention of the Boilers. Beating Oakland as Purdue did allowed the young players to think the Valpo game would be easier and now the Boilers would just go out an dominate the team that hasn’t beat anyone. Purdue is not the first team to do this and something all coaches try to prevent, but humanity vices are imbued in all of us and not performing our best at all times is as common as death.

Beside the less practice this year, being short on players during practice…a few still sick or injured, the team that is VERY youthful will have some growing pains. One thing that perhaps others have noted that “MAY” be huge is the players separated from the coaches. We are all used to seeing coaches give tips to individual players while on the bench and those tips are more numerous with young players which Purdue has a lot. THAT didn’t happen and so the youth will only pickup in the general comments of the huddle and at halftime…not when things happen. This places players a bit on an island away from the coaches and the issues magnified in younger players. A senior going through his last year may find motivation on his own for his last year. More youthful players have the “time” that seniors don’t and so the urgency is not as ingrained in many players. Players HAVE to mentally prepare for war coming out of the gates as there is no Mackey crowd to intimidate some players on the opposing team, nor motivate the Purdue players. That motivation has to come from inside and has to be realistic in understanding that the other team has good players as well and upsets happen every year.

This game was good for Purdue. Now, we can watch and see if the team grows as a result…knowing there will be regression at different times through the year. We can hope the regression is short lived and less frequent as the season goes on. Some smart players on this team…some motivated players on this team, but the youth will always have to fight that urge for complacency after a big win.
Great write up., We are a very young team and I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) this is the first time in Purdue history we have a team with no seniors on it. Not sure if true or not, but if so then that just shows how young this team is.

It's going to be a very weird season with no team having that home court advantage really and the games having more of a "scrimmage" type feel to them. But if you're going to have a rebuilding year, this is the year to do it IMO.

Reactions: tjreese
Wheeler isn't even close to being the leader and player Grady wound up being. Not even close

Just stop. Wheeler is a career 29% 3 point shooter. Let’s not pretend otherwise.

Wow, not bad for someone with “no hands.” Amazing he can even get off four shots a game.

Did you finish counting all those “fumbles” yet, or did you have to put your shoes back on?

Great write up., We are a very young team and I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) this is the first time in Purdue history we have a team with no seniors on it. Not sure if true or not, but if so then that just shows how young this team is.

It's going to be a very weird season with no team having that home court advantage really and the games having more of a "scrimmage" type feel to them. But if you're going to have a rebuilding year, this is the year to do it IMO.
it was announced last night that it was the first time with no seniors

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT