ADVERTISEMENT

Trayce Jackson Davis

Just because Purdue was in the top 6 doesn’t mean Painter was heavily involved. Hall was above board but Zeke’s final list was a who’s who of true dirtiest programs out there, other than Purdue, that was quite an outlier.
Delusional. Someone is always cheating when they beat Purude for a recruit lol.

No, but that would probably get us a new coach.
I'm sure it would. I noticed you didn't say it would get us a better coach. BTW, I have talked to CMP and he was very personable.....and passionate about basketball in general.

He said staying home was one of the most important factors in his decision. Wonder why him and Keion seem so big on representing the state and staying in state but don't even bother to take at least an official visit with us. We are the more successful program in recent years but just can't seem to be the sexy option for these high rating in state kids.
Check his shoes.

No I dont, but I also dont expect anything major to come from the FBI investigation. Louisville and Arizona have top 5 classes next year.
I'm not talking about consequences. I'm talking about hands out, and you know it. This is happening. And it is only the tip of the iceberg.

Reactions: indy35
I've seen nothing to suggest IU is paying recruits, and I'll leave it at that.
I'll leave it at that as well. I don't like how the Romeo deal went down with his pop...….but as disgusting as it may be, it is considered ok. And that, to me, is the problem. Where does it stop?

I'll leave it at that as well. I don't like how the Romeo deal went down with his pop...….but as disgusting as it may be, it is considered ok. And that, to me, is the problem. Where does it stop?
Idk, but as long as it's legal, it's fine with me.

I hear you. We are just on different sides of this issue. I'm catholic, and in my heart abortion is wrong......so legal means nothing to me. But to others? well you get the idea.

I hear you. We are just on different sides of this issue. I'm catholic, and in my heart abortion is wrong......so legal means nothing to me. But to others? well you get the idea.
I'm with you on abortion. When it comes to tax loopholes I'm all for it. Depends on the issue for me.

With Archie at IU Purdue has no chance of doing better than they have the last 10 years. It will be almost impossible to even sustain since Archie is getting all the best in state talent and Purdue can’t recruit nationally. Purdue is in real trouble going forward and that’s just the truth. You can no longer get the type of players like Phinisee that you got before. Purdue basketball is in real trouble. Have fun this year. It’s your last at having any chance of doing something special.

A lot could have been said about swanigan and his connections to Barnes. I wasnt around so dont remember what all people said about that. I am confident that nothing shady went down there as i believe Barnes had nothing but the best interest of swanigan in mind, but that is recruiting and when a kid chooses another school it isnt always something shady going down. Sometimes it is but not always, i just wish the Purdue fanbase would not always go to that card when a kid chooses another school. When you go after top talent you go up against big time schools. I cant figure out why purdue doesnt land some of these kids. Purdue is a top 25 program eventually painter will not have to find the diamonds in the rough

I mean seriously how does Purdue not have 1 NCAA title in basketball? A big ten school in the basketball rich state of Indiana. Quite frankly its pathetic.
Hey Monkey Pox. First you need to get vaccinated for that and second you sure seem to have a hard on for Purdue and Purdue recruiting. Quite frankly it's pathetic.

So what does an assistant coach, recruiter, do to get these players...…..and their parents? Money talks, bullshit walks? Seriously, how is this assistant supposed to "smooth" over CMP's straight talk? Seems to me like CMP and co. need to open up that wallet....something I'm against of course.
I also heard Davis' family was split a few ways on where he should go...…..I wonder what up with that? Not that it matters.

"I also heard Davis' family was split a few ways on where he should go...…..I wonder what up with that? Not that it matters."

Basically just family dynamics- pretty common. Step Dad Ray grew up in LA and played football at Wast St- so he is basically a "West coast" guy. He also liked Izzo,and the idea of Trayce going away (out of state) for college because he felt it would be good for him to get away from Mom and "grow up".

Mom liked Archie and the idea of Trayce being an hour away. Similar to the way Brandon Newman's family wanted him close by, due to his Mom's health issues.

Family dynamics often play a role in recruiting. Being close to home is why IU will likely ultimately land Brooks, despite UNC making a major push and surpassing UK for a top 2 spot based on the family's trip to Chapel Hill.Some kids just want to stay close to home for college,whether they are Division 1 athletes or not...

One thing IU did a great job of with both recruits is recruiting the entire family. Ray likes Archie,he just felt it would be a good idea for Trayce to maybe head North. And Brooks has often commented on how much attention IU paid to everyone in his family,and how they all felt included. The IU staff is great at building relationships. Not just Schilling and Archie but Ostrom and Flint as well...

The press recruits for IU. I thought the Knight mystique would RUB off by now. It hasn't.
FYI under the masterful Knight, our beloved Keady held a winning record against IU. Purdue's dominance over IU in all sports except mens soccer, continues.
IU has had some runs over the years but the dominance is obvious in the head to head record. And it isn't a fluke.

I've been around a while. I rooted for PU in the '66 Rose Bowl,and also for them in their lone NC game appearance vs UCLA in '69. The game was over at halftime,and IIRC that was the most lopsided NCAA Championship game up until UNLV demolished Duke in their first meeting. At that point (in '69) IU had already won 2 NC's, prior to '55 when I was born.

You really have to divide the 100+ yrs of collegiate basketball into the pre and post NCAA eras. PU's heydey in the B1G and in the head to head with IU basically encompasses their dominance in the pre NCAA days. While PU has a winning overall record vs every B1G team and had the most Conference Championships (at least up until recently) the fact is that the rest of the League (including IU) assumed more of a prominent National role post 1939.

By the time PU got to their only NC game appearance in '69, 7 Big 10 schools had already been to the FF4. Wisc and MSU had been once,but IU,OSU,Ill,Iowa and Mich had all made at least 2 trips. IU and OSU had each won NC's, with OSU going to 7 or 8 FF4s themselves...

Safe to say the Big 10 was no longer "Purdue's Conference"...In those days (up until '76) only the Conference Champion participated in the NCAA tourney,and from 1940 till 1969 Purdue only won a single Big 10 Championship (1969). That demonstrates the dominance of Purdue in the pre NCAA days in terms of Conference Championships and head to heads with virtually every other team because 13 of Purdue's total of 23 Big 10 basketball titles came in 1940 or earlier.

Check his shoes.

???? Trayce and Keion both played on the Indy Heat AAU team, in the Nike EYBL. Last I checked, Purdue was a Nike school and IU an Adidas school. I guess you’re still gonna say that Archie and Adidas payed Trayce to come? Even though he doesn’t have any affiliation with Adidas? Whatever man, you’re stuck on that narrative, even when it doesn’t fit.

Reactions: buttnoles and ulrey
Just because Purdue was in the top 6 doesn’t mean Painter was heavily involved. Hall was above board but Zeke’s final list was a who’s who of true dirtiest programs out there, other than Purdue, that was quite an outlier.

His list was dirty. Just missing Louisville, Oregon, and OK State......

I don't think Zeke was paid off, but it is naive to think kids coming from wealthy families don't have their hands out either. Some of the wealthiest people I know make EVERY decision based on how much more money they can make off the result.

Reactions: PU pit bull
Dale wanted Purdue. His step dad wanted MSU. His mom wanted IU.

Trayce wanted IU as well, and that's all that matters.
so many times the most knowledgeable about the game want Purdue...soooo many times emotions win out and the players go elsewhere. In the beggining the only hope Purdue had was that others would defer to his (Dale) knowledge, but that didn't happen. He should have some nice years at IU...but replacing Morgan very quickly is quite a step even with the tools he currently has

Reactions: indy35
I am an IU fan( like Painter) but really wonder why some are over here flaming. Purdue has been pretty darn good year in year out. It's not going to change ,Painter like Keady will get his share.

Agree. I like to give boilers the business as well as any but coming over here to trumpet a verbal is poor form. Like grade school shit.....

McHoop

Reactions: Opie75
Another conversation I had the other day at dinner in addition to my brother-in-law asking if IU people still thought Brad Stevens was coming back to coach IU, was Romeo's father's payment (s). I told him it was a loophole to funnel money to people of influence to steer players in a direction of desire and he gave that deer in the head light look and said, "that's legal?" No doubt his mind raced to the time Brad Stevens asked him how Hinkle recruited him and Brad said, "I'd give anything if it were like that today!"

Nothing to do with anything in this topic but a sister was talking about a tour in Louisville and the Brown Hotel specifically. He then recanted a story that he "thought" it was the Brown hotel where the Celtics were staying, but that "they" refused to serve the blacks and Auerbach talked to Russell and Bill didn't want to play in an exhibition game and the white players followed suit and so they didn't. He said in the early 60s many black players did not want drafted by the Celtics as Boston was very racial. I asked about Philly and New York and he didn't know.

Lastly, we all know cheating is going on in many places and we all know the NCAA really doesn't care. Jerry's words, " Tarkanian's rolling mantra was that the NCAA had a double-standard for enforcement, that it picked on smaller schools but protected the sugar-daddy power programs. This produced variations of his most famous quote: "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky they gave Cleveland State two more years of probation." The reality is that fans of many stripes have asked for this situation inadvertently, and so they got it. Guess Tre and Dow need to work on their game...

Agree. I like to give boilers the business as well as any but coming over here to trumpet a verbal is poor form. Like grade school shit.....

McHoop
fully understand what you are saying...for me I don't care because there are still a lot of questions on just how good he gets and the effects of it. However, many people do in fact think the game is over just by getting a recruit that is valued with potential. He or she was happy...and probably young as well. Still, you are correct in that it is "poor form"... ;)

Corrupt=Corruption. So, if I have an opportunity to cheat on my wife and get away with it. I definitely see that regardless it's still wrong and you know it. So, even though the NCAA are letting big programs get away with it...it's still wrong. Ethics comes into play in many forms.

Reactions: PU pit bull

The NCAA owes everybody some clarity on deals like Bagley and Langford had. They’ve not done anything about them (yet)....is that an implicit acknowledgement that shoe companies can funnel money to recruits’ parents through things like AAU programs?

Winning the tourney is hard and they’ve had bad coaches for a while but Archie is good, it’ll just take a little time. I think IU wins the big 10 and gets to at least the sweet 16 this year. This is the last year that Purdue has a chance to do anything. You can’t recruit with Archie and he’s a good coach. Archie dominates the conference along with OSU and MSU starting next year...maybe this year...time will tell
Deja vu. Again, same old same old. We have heard this same line since RMK left. The only thing that has panned out is that every year IU out-recruits Purdue and every year the IU fans come to the Purdue board whining, "You just wait 'til next year!"

Saying IU can’t win the conference is dumb. There’s no great team in the B10. There is 4 or 5 teams that have a legit shot and IU and Purdue are in that group.
Hasn't seen Michigan.... Or doesn't know Michigan is part of the BIG. Funny.

Deja vu. Again, same old same old. We have heard this same line since RMK left. The only thing that has panned out is that every year IU out-recruits Purdue and every year the IU fans come to the Purdue board whining, "You just wait 'til next year!"
If IU wins the B1G this year as he says. Man, the B1G is in serious trouble. Shows the gap between elite programs and supposedly the top B1G team.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
I know I’m going to get banned for saying that but it’s the truth. How are you going to compete with MSU, IU and OSU when they’re all getting great recruits every year. I’m forgetting about Michigan too. They have the best coach and he’s starting to land some better recruits although he was winning withou

he is a kid and it’s not like he’s the number 1 recruit. He’s a kid with a lot of potential but I don’t see him as a OAD.
This isn't the IU board. You don't get banned for making uneducated statements. So let me ask: Are you in junior high? Did you just start watching basketball? Historically Purdue finishes between 4 and 8 in recruiting among B1G teams. Very, very rarely are they in the top 2. This is nothing new. Yet Purdue has the most B1G championships.

You wishing for a different result because you just discovered Purdue doesn't get the top recruits makes you seem clueless.

A lot could have been said about swanigan and his connections to Barnes. I wasnt around so dont remember what all people said about that. I am confident that nothing shady went down there as i believe Barnes had nothing but the best interest of swanigan in mind, but that is recruiting and when a kid chooses another school it isnt always something shady going down. Sometimes it is but not always, i just wish the Purdue fanbase would not always go to that card when a kid chooses another school. When you go after top talent you go up against big time schools. I cant figure out why purdue doesnt land some of these kids. Purdue is a top 25 program eventually painter will not have to find the diamonds in the rough
"His connections to Barnes"?! Barnes was his legal father since he was 13 years old. He is supposed to influence his decisions. There is absolutely no difference -- legally, morally, or ethically -- between Barnes influencing Swanigan's decision and Davis' mother influencing his decision.

It's always interesting when the peegsty insanity comes creeping into this board.

This isn't the IU board. You don't get banned for making uneducated statements. So let me ask: Are you in junior high? Did you just start watching basketball? Historically Purdue finishes between 4 and 8 in recruiting among B1G teams. Very, very rarely are they in the top 2. This is nothing new. Yet Purdue has the most B1G championships.

You wishing for a different result because you just discovered Purdue doesn't get the top recruits makes you seem clueless.
Exactly this for why Painter is such a good coach. He consistently gets more out of lesser rated recruits. He may need a better recruiter on staff but that doesn't change the fact he is an excellent coach highly respected across the nation by people that matter. None of us give a crap about what IU fans think of him. You can come on here and brag about your recruits but it doesn't change the fact that during Painters tenure, IU has not done better than Purdue even with higher rated recruits. Is this next group "The Movement 2"?

so many times the most knowledgeable about the game want Purdue...soooo many times emotions win out and the players go elsewhere. In the beggining the only hope Purdue had was that others would defer to his (Dale) knowledge, but that didn't happen. He should have some nice years at IU...but replacing Morgan very quickly is quite a step even with the tools he currently has
The 5 spot at Purdue is very full right now with Haarms, EB, Williams, and Dow. Yes, he would likely start over those guys, but most of those guys will be getting PT next year.

The 5 spot at Purdue is very full right now with Haarms, EB, Williams, and Dow. Yes, he would likely start over those guys, but most of those guys will be getting PT next year.
I figured he like so many wanted to move to teh four spot?

Been saying this forever, but some here still think otherwise. You don't have to cheat to be good recruiter. This should be priority #1 for Painter.

College Basketball recruiting is all going to change very soon. When they get rid of that One and Done rule. Also with the NBA D league changes offering more money etc... BTW not a criticism of Purdue just fact. Out of the 4 major programs in Indiana. I have been to all 4 schools campus. Just for atmosphere and location. Sorry Purdue is 4th. IU has Brown County and the lake. Notre Dame has a beautiful designed campus. Butler is in the biggest city in Indiana not far from Broad Ripple and Purdue is in West lafayette. Majority of grads from Purdue end up leaving the state. Both my brothers are Purdue engineering grads and live outta state. Purdue does not have the fan base of IU. The John Purdue Club is no bigger then NC State booster club.

Frankly I laugh at some of these boosters. These people who show up at a kids signing press conference. Adults cheering like lil boys is hilarious. Look at the guy who was charged with threatening to burn down Brohm's High School if he did not sign with Louisville. Just hilarious....

That’s a good pickup for the Hoosiers because they will need scoring to replace Morgan and Langford next year.

Yeah, Painter needs lessons from Archie and Crean on how to be sexy. :D

Come up with an actual counter argument. At the end of the day, top 50 recruits continue to go to IU and not to Purdue on a consistent basis. Yes, IU does have the advantage of the IU ‘brand,’ which makes it all the more important for a school like Purdue to hire a coach who top kids want to play for. That’s not the case with CMP.

National Championships:
IU-24 team/141 individual
PU-3 team/13 individual
Per Wilkipedia
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT