ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers 2018

in his defense, I think the athleticism comment was maybe less a personal viewpoint, and more about others opinions.

some posters keep pointing out purdues lack of athletes vs the opposition. how athletes trump skill players. even compared to "lesser" teams like a Texas tech who has endured coach instability , less $, less tradition, etc. does he fit the criteria that others have been clamoring for... may be the better worded question/observation. or is that 1 criteria being weighed a bit too heavily / out of proportion.
But then there are those, like me, who believe that Purdue didn't lose to TT because of a lack of athleticism. They lost because their dominant center went down to an injury.

But then there are those, like me, who believe that Purdue didn't lose to TT because of a lack of athleticism. They lost because their dominant center went down to an injury.
A shockingly simple and accurate explanation of the game. Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Reactions: Purdue85
Care to make a friendly wager?

If he works out- we can negotiate terms of success - you have to remain silent for 12 months on here. No negative postings.

If he doesn’t meet our negotiated criteria the. I will tAke 12 months off.

Deal!

What’s the criteria?

Who cares what his offers were a handful of years ago? That's meaningless. He's obviously improved and is a different player. In the past few months he's been offered by Xavier, Colorado, Butler, Illinois, Wisconsin, NC State and it sounds like Louisville. I don't know how good he will be. At the very least it gives us some depth at the 4 that we didn't have as of last week. But it takes a special kind of troll and awful poster to try to diminish him as a player by looking at his offer list out of high school rather than the past few months.

Heck, look at Carsen Edwards' offer list out of high school: Arkansas State, Baylor, Kansas State, Houston, Lamar, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech. Do you judge him right now as a player based on those offers several years ago or do you look at what he is today? Obviously the latter. If Carsen transferred, he'd be offered and pursued heavily by all the blue bloods. I'm not saying this guy is Carsen, not even close, but sometimes players go overlooked in the recruiting process. Those same overlooked players can also improve after several years of playing college ball. That combination can provide for someone like Boudreaux to manage the jump in competition.

Who cares what his offers were a handful of years ago? That's meaningless. He's obviously improved and is a different player. In the past few months he's been offered by Xavier, Colorado, Butler, Illinois, Wisconsin, NC State and it sounds like Louisville. I don't know how good he will be. At the very least it gives us some depth at the 4 that we didn't have as of last week. But it takes a special kind of troll and awful poster to try to diminish him as a player by looking at his offer list out of high school rather than the past few months.

I based my opinion off of the video I watched and after doing so, went to look at his offer list which pretty much confirmed my suspicion that this kid wasn’t recruited by many high major programs.
I would have rather seen Painter go the juco route and gotten an athletic wing.
Look, I’m not saying this kid will be a bust and for our sake, I hope he completely and utterly proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier than for this kid to be a huge piece of a FF run.

Looking back at the contributions of grad transfers verses juco players in both basketball and football, Purdue has had a lot better success with the grad transfers who have come here.

Heck, look at Carsen Edwards' offer list out of high school: Arkansas State, Baylor, Kansas State, Houston, Lamar, Tulsa, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech. Do you judge him right now as a player based on those offers several years ago or do you look at what he is today? Obviously the latter. If Carsen transferred, he'd be offered and pursued heavily by all the blue bloods. I'm not saying this guy is Carsen, not even close, but sometimes players go overlooked in the recruiting process. Those same overlooked players can also improve after several years of playing college ball. That combination can provide for someone like Boudreaux to manage the jump in competition.

Actually, I saw Carsen play in HS and made comparisons of him to Russell Westbrook. I got laughed at, but told people this kid would be special and that he was under recruited.
As for EB: does this team need a below the rim 6’8 forward? How does he help solve the rebounding problem? How does he make us more athletic? How does he help us against teams that have faster, more athletic players?

Actually, I saw Carsen play in HS and made comparisons of him to Russell Westbrook. I got laughed at, but told people this kid would be special and that he was under recruited.
As for EB: does this team need a below the rim 6’8 forward? How does he help solve the rebounding problem? How does he make us more athletic? How does he help us against teams that have faster, more athletic players?

I think the issue is this.

Most people are happy because Evan makes our current team better.

You are unhappy because Evan doesn’t improve our team as much as some amazing athlete that can shoot and defend.

The problem Is that there just aren’t many latter players like that out there.

In other words, you’d be unhappy with a 5% raise because it wasn’t 10%. And unhappy with a 10% raise because it wasn’t 15%.

PJ was fine, but really limited in what he could do. I gave him his props for the Butler game , but you can’t afford to have a starter with so many limitations and expect them to beat guys deep in the tourney.
Exactly the reason i thought it was a mistake to redshirt wheeler to play grady instead. Guys like pj and grady can help win games in the regular season. But we've seen time and again what happens the tourney. Specifically the s16 where painters avaerage margin of defeat is somewhere around 20 points.

I based my opinion off of the video I watched and after doing so, went to look at his offer list which pretty much confirmed my suspicion that this kid wasn’t recruited by many high major programs.
He was recruited by a lot of high major programs. Xavier, Butler, Illinois, Wisconsin, Louisville, NC State, Purdue. You're terrible at this.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I think the issue is this.

Most people are happy because Evan makes our current team better.

You are unhappy because Evan doesn’t improve our team as much as some amazing athlete that can shoot and defend.

The problem Is that there just aren’t many latter players like that out there.

In other words, you’d be unhappy with a 5% raise because it wasn’t 10%. And unhappy with a 10% raise because it wasn’t 15%.

How does he make this team better? What is unique about a 6’8 below the rim guy who’s an average athlete?
Maybe there’s something I didn’t see on film or that other great programs didn’t see but I just don’t see how this guy brings something to compete in the B10 and in the tourny.

Look, I’m not saying this kid will be a bust and for our sake, I hope he completely and utterly proves me wrong. Nothing would make me happier than for this kid to be a huge piece of a FF run.
An athletic juco wing like Ewing?

Reactions: samcboiler
Exactly the reason i thought it was a mistake to redshirt wheeler to play grady instead. Guys like pj and grady can help win games in the regular season. But we've seen time and again what happens the tourney. Specifically the s16 where painters avaerage margin of defeat is somewhere around 20 points.

I got hammered for 3 years for my call comments on PJ. He had a good game against Butler and I recognized him for it.
I think the same will happen with EB. He might have a 16/9 game here and there but he predict we’ll see a lot of 3/3 games against athletic teams. Dakota really struggled against better athletes as well even though he’s a solid player.

He was recruited by a lot of high major programs. Xavier, Butler, Illinois, Wisconsin, Louisville, NC State, Purdue. You're terrible at this.

I’m still waiting on the definition of success for him. I realize it pretty subjective but if he’s more Brian Cardinal than Evan Bade, that’ll be a positive.

Uh yeah, we need a productive forward because the only players at that position were Eifert and Wheeler. Boudreaux was a solid rebounder the past two years. He doesn't make us more athletic, he adds experience, skill and a scoring punch that we badly needed. Wheeler will give us athleticism at that spot.

Yeh? Ewing’s body and skill, different head.
Wait, you honestly think Eden Ewing was a skilled basketball player? Oh my. You're the kind of person who believes there's a Miles Bridges playing in the JUCO ranks, and even crazier, somehow Purdue is going to land that player without anyone else noticing.

I’m still waiting on the definition of success for him. I realize it pretty subjective but if he’s more Brian Cardinal than Evan Bade, that’ll be a positive.
He'll give us 2-3 more wins. So you're ready to admit that he did in fact get recruited by a bunch of high major programs? Or can you not even do that?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Personally, I'd rather see Wheeler at small forward and scrapping this entire idea of having 3 guards start. I would much rather see a guy like Cline come off the bench to add instant offense and just shoot a couple of threes than to see him start. I'd love to see a combo of Haarms/Dow at center and Tre/Boudreaux at PF with Wheeler at SF. with Eastern and Edwards as guards with Sasha, Hunter and Cline off the bench.

That's a solid rotation of 10 players. Throw in Grady and Taylor.

In my vision, you don't have as many 3 point shooters starting, but when they need to take a break, the level of play will remain high as our back-ups would offer a combo of experience and youthful athleticism.

there are still 2 remaining scholarships to address what I believe is a shortage at SF and PG.

Personally, I'd rather see Wheeler at small forward and scrapping this entire idea of having 3 guards start. I would much rather see a guy like Cline come off the bench to add instant offense and just shoot a couple of threes than to see him start. I'd love to see a combo of Haarms/Dow at center and Tre/Boudreaux at PF with Wheeler at SF. with Eastern and Edwards as guards with Sasha, Hunter and Cline off the bench.

That's a solid rotation of 10 players. Throw in Grady and Taylor.

In my vision, you don't have as many 3 point shooters starting, but when they need to take a break, the level of play will remain high as our back-ups would offer a combo of experience and youthful athleticism.

there are still 2 remaining scholarships to address what I believe is a shortage at SF and PG.
I don't disagree ... but where/who is talking about Wheeler being a PF and not a Wing/3

This is the distribution I most commonly see:
1. – Eastern – Boogie
2. – Boogie -- Hunter
3. – Wheeler – Cline -- Sasha
4. – Boudreaux – Tre -- Grady
5. – Haarms – JT – Dow

I don't disagree ... but where/who is talking about Wheeler being a PF and not a Wing/3

This is the distribution I most commonly see:
1. – Eastern – Boogie
2. – Boogie -- Hunter
3. – Wheeler – Cline -- Sasha
4. – Boudreaux – Tre -- Grady
5. – Haarms – JT – Dow

That is the combo I'd like to see. but many here believe and want Cline to start continuing to use the three guard line-up. and shifting Wheeler to be part of the frontcourt. I see Wheeler being part of the backcourt as a forward.

That is the combo I'd like to see. but many here believe and want Cline to start continuing to use the three guard line-up. and shifting Wheeler to be part of the frontcourt. I see Wheeler being part of the backcourt as a forward.
I must have them all blocked

You want a bar? How about 10-5 and a starter (or sixth man with 20+ minutes). Those are numbers that show a solid contribution. It would also give him numbers better than what he is taking the place of, Eifert at this point).

Unsuccessful would be never cracking the starting lineup and providing any meaningful stats.

Push would be coming off the bench and giving 5 -2. Not enough to write home about, but don't show a waste of a scholarship.

In his second year, the stats should be higher than previous year, obviously.

So Bonefish I ask you this. What would you consider unsuccessful? I feel I am setting the bar a bit high. If he can contribute and earn minutes, it was well worth the sign so long as he fits the offense. Stats can be skewed and not tell the whole picture. If Williams and Ewing come in as monsters and steal all the minutes, and I would be ok with that. His need would diminish and the bar would lower imo.

You want a bar? How about 10-5 and a starter (or sixth man with 20+ minutes). Those are numbers that show a solid contribution. It would also give him numbers better than what he is taking the place of, Eifert at this point).

Unsuccessful would be never cracking the starting lineup and providing any meaningful stats.

Push would be coming off the bench and giving 5 -2. Not enough to write home about, but don't show a waste of a scholarship.

So Bonefish I ask you this. What would you consider unsuccessful? I feel I am setting the bar a bit high. If he can contribute and earn minutes, it was well worth the sign so long as he fits the offense. Stats can be skewed and not tell the whole picture. If Williams and Ewing come in as monsters and steal all the minutes, and I would be ok with that. His need would diminish and the bar would lower imo.
I see better blocking out, thus a couple points from offensive put-backs that we would not have gotten. I see leadership in the locker room and huddle, intangible, but highly valuable. I see at least 10 points per game from him - no way to know how many more that is than who would get his minutes. I see another 4 points from others due to his needing to be closely guarded. I see the increased contributions from other players as valuable as from him ... and I see him drawing fouls from his drives that no one we now have would drawn.

Last edited:
I see some of y’all projected lineups that some projects it could be bit some of y’all only think my son is just a PG when In fact he’s extremely versatile basketball player that has the size to play and defend multiple positions. He is more than what the eye can see. The areas of concerned in his game are already getting fixed. He desires to play in the NBA like others do and being labeled just as a PG he isn’t he is a basketball player that is gotten nba interest. Can’t teach size and length for the PG position along with speed and strength that can play and guard 4 positions st the next level.

I see some of y’all projected lineups that some projects it could be bit some of y’all only think my son is just a PG when In fact he’s extremely versatile basketball player that has the size to play and defend multiple positions. He is more than what the eye can see. The areas of concerned in his game are already getting fixed. He desires to play in the NBA like others do and being labeled just as a PG he isn’t he is a basketball player that is gotten nba interest. Can’t teach size and length for the PG position along with speed and strength that can play and guard 4 positions st the next level.
That is great news. I just thought his desire was to mostly play PG. I doubt anyone will be unhappy if he plays any other position, as long as he's on the floor.

Unsuccessful? I’d say a guy who is clearly outclassed athletically, struggles on O and D because the guy he’s going against is faster/stronger. Is just a step slower.
I wouldn’t use Eifert as the bar because he’s a walk-on and while scrappy, was a liability on offense.
I would agree 10/5 is a high bar. You might have set some unrealistic expectations.

Unsuccessful? I’d say a guy who is clearly outclassed athletically, struggles on O and D because the guy he’s going against is faster/stronger. Is just a step slower.
I wouldn’t use Eifert as the bar because he’s a walk-on and while scrappy, was a liability on offense.
I would agree 10/5 is a high bar. You might have set some unrealistic expectations.

So you were relying your argument with the fact that nobody would define the bar and then you yourself didn't set a bar. Ok.

Yes, I am using Eifert as the bar because that is literally who he would be replacing in all likelihood. That is exactly where the bar should be placed. Is he better than what we have? If the answer is yes, it was a good signing. Expecting him to be All-Big isn't realistic, or necessary for him to fulfill a purpose.

As for 10-5, I would say that would exceed expectations while remaining attainable. If he can start or play meaningful minutes, again, it means that he is better than what Purdue had. That doesn't mean I would call anything less than 10-5 a failure, but it is around what I expect. Again, this is without knowing what Williams and Wheeler can do at the next level.

I would also point out that I wouldn't have gone the EB path, but also understood that it was a safe bet and you don't turn down what EB offers hoping you can land 2 top 100 kids at the same position of need in what would be his second year ('19).

Bottom line is that if he cracks meaningful minutes, he is a success. 10-5 is around what I expect. Didn't you also say you would go away for a year if he was "successful"?

I got hammered for 3 years for my call comments on PJ. He had a good game against Butler and I recognized him for it.
I think the same will happen with EB. He might have a 16/9 game here and there but he predict we’ll see a lot of 3/3 games against athletic teams. Dakota really struggled against better athletes as well even though he’s a solid player.
You are getting hammered now because you misrepresented evan’s high school offers, conveniently leaving out the best basketball programs. You also ignored the offers he had we he announced his intention to transfer. Again to the benefit of you position.

Right now I have a hard time believing anything you post. Now you tell us you discovered how good Carsen was before he came to Purdue. Sure you did.

Here's his offer list:
Dartmouth
Bucknell
DePaul
Iowa
Iowa State
Northwestern
Princeton
Yale
No mention of PSU (according to ESPN) and just because he talked to a Michigan coach one time, doesn't mean Michigan was recruiting him.
Like I said, he had offers from other programs in the B10 that love below the rim types (Iowa/NU), a crap Big East program (DePaul) a decent B12 team (ISU) and then a bunch of brain schools.
All I'm saying is that we constantly complain about our lack of athleticism and how we get beat by more athletic teams in the tourney. Then Painter goes out and gives a scholly to that exact type of player.
I predict Travis Carroll 2.0
Again, he had offers from Penn State and Xavier. You left those off. Please read my post more carefully.

We definitely know he is versatile. Mostly just talking starting lineups. I have seen some mention him at the 4 in small ball lineups. We know he can certainly play the 3, and will probably do so quite a bit with 2 of Carsen/Cline/Hunter in the game.

Seriously, what are your expectations of him? Is he just a warm body and 5 fouls or does he help Purdue win in the tourny? Or even get to it next year?

Late responding. Been traveling all day.

Okay, I'll play along. Here's what I think:
  • Seems to have decent basketball IQ
  • Brings maturity to a team with significant losses
  • Could see him pushing for PT as a starter early in the season, but giving way to underclassmen and still playing significant minutes
  • Reasonably athletic (much, much more than you give him credit)
  • In the videos, runs the floor well, even against P5 competition
  • Moves well without the ball
  • Has a decent outside shot
  • Could consistently provide 7-10 ppg
  • Could be outstanding for pick-n-pop
  • Crashes the rim well
  • Appears to be very coordinated with good hands, catching the ball, moving to the rim and finishing
  • Sets us up for significant mismatches, in our favor
  • Gives us the luxury of bringing along our underclassmen more deliberately (specifically Wheeler)
  • Sounds like he desperately wants to be a part of a tournament team
For you to characterize him like you have really gives people the impression you don't understand the game in the least. If you think he's just going to come in and give us 5 hacks before fouling out, that's beyond absurd.

The video focused on the offensive end. The key is going to be, can he defend. If he can, he plays. A lot. How much he plays also depends on the maturity and skill of A Wheeler.

Before Evan I thought we could push to make the NCAA tournament again, depending on the development of our underclassmen. With Evan, I see us as a top 5 finish in the B1G.

Then again, going into this season I didn't see us as a contender for the B1G, the B1G tournament, and certainly not a team that would be mentioned as the FAVORITE to win the NC.

If memory serves, you tried to compare him to Travis Carroll to smear his ability.

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
You are getting hammered now because you misrepresented evan’s high school offers, conveniently leaving out the best basketball programs. You also ignored the offers he had we he announced his intention to transfer. Again to the benefit of you position.

Right now I have a hard time believing anything you post. Now you tell us you discovered how good Carsen was before he came to Purdue. Sure you did.

This.

Not only this, but 'fish is completely dismissing the high-profile programs wanting him NOW. That is an omission in an attempt to talk down the value Evan brings. He's 3 years older and proven what he can do in college. There's nothing more irrelevant than the colleges recruiting him out of HS, yet that's 'fish's go-to argument.

I trust the judgement of these high-profile programs more than I trust 'fish's. MUCH more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT