ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers 2018

So, you're saying that even with a healthy Haas and Vince, Purdue had zero change of reaching that FF even though many who know the game both in the media and from withing the coaches box had PU winning it all. Sorry, but PJ has become too much of a whipping boy when in reality he did a very good job at running this team.
My opinion was that we did not have enough athleticism on the starting five and not enough productive depth off the bench with or without Haas to be a final four team. It would have been tough to get by TexasTech with Haas and my opinion we would could not beat Villanova even at full strength.
PJ is a great guy and nice story but he was not a point guard that was going to take this team to the final 4. You can’t have a point guard that cannot create offense for himself or his teammates, playing an average of 33 minutes a game and be 5th on the team in assists.

My opinion was that we did not have enough athleticism on the starting five and not enough productive depth off the bench with or without Haas to be a final four team. It would have been tough to get by TexasTech with Haas and my opinion we would could not beat Villanova even at full strength.
PJ is a great guy and nice story but he was not a point guard that was going to take this team to the final 4. You can’t have a point guard that cannot create offense for himself or his teammates, playing an average of 33 minutes a game and be 5th on the team in assists.
I agree beating Nova with Haas would have been super tough. But I would’ve loved the chance. But just because we couldn’t beat Nova doesn’t mean we weren’t a FF capable team. The draw did us no favors.

Reactions: ChuckJr
Sounds like Ryan Taylor has a soft spot for his old hometown of Gary, IN. Outside of Northwestern, we are the closest program. It would be a great get for us if we landed both Taylor and Boudreaux. If that happened, my guess is that the PG position turns into a competition between Nojel and Hunter, as Hunter has played point quite a lot in HS. That would leave us with the following lineups, based upon the CMP lineup model from the Hammonds/Swanigan year:

PG - Nojel, Hunter, Boogie (in a pinch)
2G - Boogie, Sasha
WG - R. Taylor, Cline, Wheeler
PF - Boudreaux, Trevion, Eifert
C - Haarms, Dow, Jacquil

Now that CMP will have a PF/C combo that can do up and down screens and switch between high and low post - with all players able to hit from some distance - I think Painter will return to the offensive model from Swanigan's first year, except that this lineup will have better post shooters, and multiple guards who can not only hit from 3, but will be able to drive. It will also give our other younger players a little more time to develop.

I hope he brings in Taylor and Boudreaux on the same weekend. This could end up being more of a reload than a rebuild.

JMHOAU

...and I can't stand fans who are choose one or two variables and make comments like you have. Ask Painter if he would bring back PJ? Bet he would say yes in a heartbeat. Did he have limitations? Yes, all players not named MJ or Lebron do....did he have other intangibles that offset those...heck yeah. I'd take PJ back every day of the week....

Why? You really believe PJ is a good enough starting PG to lead a team to a FF?

Reactions: PUQBMan.
six short, concise comments.

Stats are not always a useful tool to measure a player's real talent. it's nice to have 3 steals a game, but who did Fordham play against?

second comment. Some of these guys look nice, but I'd prefer the guys who started for big name successful programs. I also prefer to add players from winning programs over players from losing ones. There's a reason Illinois had a bad year this year. their players had talent, they just didn't use it, and now they want to transfer.

third comment. We've complained a lot about Purdue not having athletic players. I say go after an athletic player rather than another really slow efficient one.

fourth comment. We need a wing and forward more than we need another guard. and we have enough players under 6-2.
fifth comment. With Ewing's departure, Purdue has 3 scholarships to use. it appeared Painter was still trying to add at least one more freshman. My thought is to add one freshman and two grad transfers.

sixth comment. Rather than looking for players to add depth, go for the gusto and reach out to the best players who could possibly start and beat out our current players. because those are the players who will be hungry and want to contribute. and if the y don't beat out our current players, they will provide the quality depth we lacked this year. it would be great to add a player who would be better than Cline, Wheeler and Tre, because it would make those three work even harder to gain a starting role. .

Reactions: samcboiler
This kind'a reads like nothing about Purdue is really "great" in your perspective. It sounds like a self-esteem issue. Not trying to be a dick, but I think you might need recalibrate your measuring stick.

I think the word "great" is thrown around too easily these days. Granted, we all have differing opinions on 'greatness' and it's very subjective.
For example, if you think all 5 of Purdue's starting 5 were 'great' this year, I would want to know your definition of great.
As for Bird, IMHO, I just believe that with todays athletes in the 6'7-6'9 range, Bird's craftiness wouldn't make up for his lack of athleticism in getting open looks, points in the paint, etc

Have you ever seen Bird play? Or, better yet, ever seen a basketball game?

Several times, back in the 70's, early 80's, especially during the legendary Sixers/Celtics matchups.
I'm not saying Bird wasn't great in his day. I just don't think he'd be the same today.

Here are a few that I found interesting on another site:

Ryan Taylor: 6'5 G Evansville
A transfer from Purdue's backyard, Taylor grew up in Gary and transferred to Evansville after a year at Ohio. Has blossomed in to a scoring threat averaging 21.2 points this season while shooting 42.1% from behind the arc. A bit high on the TO mark at 2.3 per game BUT I would be confident in CMP and staff to correct that. Has great length and if paired with Nojel and Wheeler...could from an incredibly long 2-4 for the Boilers that would give fits to opposing teams on both ends of the floor. This is the one transfer that I want at Purdue for next season.

Miles Reylonds: 6'2 G Pacific
The Chicago native may look to getting closer to home after being on the west coast for a season after transferring from St. Louis. Graduated from one of the best high school programs in the mid-west in Whitney-Young. He averaged 13.3 points per game this season and shot a respectable 37.7% from three. He would provide instant depth at a place of need following the graduation of PJ and Dakota.

Bird would have a tough time in today’s game. He’d be similar to Cardinal. Good, not great.

I disagree completely. If you’ve ever watched Bird play, he was a superior shooter and passer even against athletic defenses. His turnaround shot is legendary. He could hit contested shots from anywhere on the court. He would literally tell opposing teams what he was going to do, and did it.

Michael Cooper, one of the greatest defenders of all time, called Larry Bird tougher to defend than Michael Jordan.

Bird was one of the greatest players to ever live. To compare him to Brian Cardinal is an insult.

Here are a few that I found interesting on another site:

Ryan Taylor: 6'5 G Evansville
A transfer from Purdue's backyard, Taylor grew up in Gary and transferred to Evansville after a year at Ohio. Has blossomed in to a scoring threat averaging 21.2 points this season while shooting 42.1% from behind the arc. A bit high on the TO mark at 2.3 per game BUT I would be confident in CMP and staff to correct that. Has great length and if paired with Nojel and Wheeler...could from an incredibly long 2-4 for the Boilers that would give fits to opposing teams on both ends of the floor. This is the one transfer that I want at Purdue for next season.

Miles Reylonds: 6'2 G Pacific
The Chicago native may look to getting closer to home after being on the west coast for a season after transferring from St. Louis. Graduated from one of the best high school programs in the mid-west in Whitney-Young. He averaged 13.3 points per game this season and shot a respectable 37.7% from three. He would provide instant depth at a place of need following the graduation of PJ and Dakota.
From another who-knows-how-smart site:

Evan Boudreaux- Dartmouth

Boudreaux is a 6-foot-8 power forward who can step out and hit the three. He has a nice mid range jumper and has a high basketball IQ. He can finish around the rim with both hands. He’s undersized for the power forward position but makes up for it with his strength and overall knowledge of the game. In two years at Dartmouth, Boudreaux scored 17.6 points per game, shot 37.4% from three, and shot 77% from the free throw line. Early Favorite: Purdue

Ryan Taylor- Evansville

Taylor is a 6-foot-6 shooting guard that loves to shoot. In fact the only player in the country that attempted more shots per game was Trae Young. Taylor is actually fairly efficient for such a high volume scorer. He made 42% of his field goal attempts and three pointers. He’s a high volume shooter with range that requires no space and uses his length to shoot over defenders. When opponents tried to keep him off the three point line, he would drive to the basket fearlessly. Taylor is not a good defender, ranking dead last on Evansville in defensive plus/minus (-1.7). Early Favorite: Indiana

Speaking of Larry Bird, the guy played against great players and was one of the best ever. To say he wouldn't do well now , makes me wonder who the people that think this, think he was playing against as a Celtic.

Boudreaux is a 6-foot-8 power forward who can step out and hit the three. He has a nice mid range jumper and has a high basketball IQ. He can finish around the rim with both hands. He’s undersized for the power forward position but makes up for it with his strength and overall knowledge of the game. In two years at Dartmouth, Boudreaux scored 17.6 points per game, shot 37.4% from three, and shot 77% from the free throw line. Early Favorite: Purdue

Ryan Taylor- Evansville

Taylor is a 6-foot-6 shooting guard that loves to shoot. In fact the only player in the country that attempted more shots per game was Trae Young. Taylor is actually fairly efficient for such a high volume scorer. He made 42% of his field goal attempts and three pointers. He’s a high volume shooter with range that requires no space and uses his length to shoot over defenders. When opponents tried to keep him off the three point line, he would drive to the basket fearlessly. Taylor is not a good defender, ranking dead last on Evansville in defensive plus/minus (-1.7). Early Favorite: Indiana

What concerns me most about Boudreaux has nothing to do with his game. He has two years and we have 3 scholarships. He would count against the '19 scholarships. Painter has in the mix wth a lot of talented wings/forwards for the '19 class. Of all of them, Okoro would be choice one for me. Then KBJ, Timmie, Gillis, and Hall (in no particular order).

If Purdue could have Bourdreaux playing as a 3, that would be ideal, not to mention he could really help next year. I don't think Timmie, Gillis, and Hall are one and done players, so I would rather have them for 2-4 years over Boudreaux for just the '19 year. However, there are no guarantees, so the sure thing is better than a hope and a prayer. The perfect example of this is Painter passing on Bane hoping for some big names in the '17 class. He whiffed on the top targets, but did manage to get some nice pieces.

If you could tell me we what the '19 class would look like now, my choice would be easier. I don't think we have anybody that would transfer out early although if Eastern makes the sophomore jump or Carsen shows he can translate to a PG in the NBA and yes his average up around 25 ish ppg, there could be some early exits and Purdue would greatly benefit from Boudreaux. I think if I had the ability to see the future, I would be checking out some lotto numbers.

Reactions: Roeder
What concerns me most about Boudreaux has nothing to do with his game. He has two years and we have 3 scholarships. He would count against the '19 scholarships. Painter has in the mix wth a lot of talented wings/forwards for the '19 class. Of all of them, Okoro would be choice one for me. Then KBJ, Timmie, Gillis, and Hall (in no particular order).

If Purdue could have Bourdreaux playing as a 3, that would be ideal, not to mention he could really help next year. I don't think Timmie, Gillis, and Hall are one and done players, so I would rather have them for 2-4 years over Boudreaux for just the '19 year. However, there are no guarantees, so the sure thing is better than a hope and a prayer. The perfect example of this is Painter passing on Bane hoping for some big names in the '17 class. He whiffed on the top targets, but did manage to get some nice pieces.

If you could tell me we what the '19 class would look like now, my choice would be easier. I don't think we have anybody that would transfer out early although if Eastern makes the sophomore jump or Carsen shows he can translate to a PG in the NBA and yes his average up around 25 ish ppg, there could be some early exits and Purdue would greatly benefit from Boudreaux. I think if I had the ability to see the future, I would be checking out some lotto numbers.
I want Boudreaux for a couple of reasons, primarily his leadership. He can shoot from outside, so a spread 4 - in the offense I predict we run, that is about the same as a 3 who can rebound - YAY!

Is your hesitance that his being her would cause Okoro/Gillis/Timme to think he would take their time?

Reactions: Zaphod_B

Evan Bordeaux- Dartmouth

Ryan Taylor- Evansville

So basically Boudreaux is a similar player to Cardinal or a Matt Howard and Taylor is a clone of James Blackmon Jr.

Edited to add: Since when is 6'8" undersized for a forward in college? Maybe the nba but not college.

So basically Boudreaux is a similar player to Cardinal or a Matt Howard and Taylor is a clone of James Blackmon Jr.

Edited to add: Since when is 6'8" undersized for a forward in college? Maybe the nba but not college.
It may be an inch or so for a PF (4) ... they're getting big out there. I think they (whoever they are) like to see 6' 10" for a 4

Speaking of Larry Bird, the guy played against great players and was one of the best ever. To say he wouldn't do well now , makes me wonder who the people that think this, think he was playing against as a Celtic.

I never said he wasn't great. What I said was that I question whether he'd as great today, (with today's athletes, 6'9 guys who play like 6'1 guys) as he was 40 years ago.

I want Boudreaux for a couple of reasons, primarily his leadership. He can shoot from outside, so a spread 4 - in the offense I predict we run, that is about the same as a 3 who can rebound - YAY!

Is your hesitance that his being her would cause Okoro/Gillis/Timme to think he would take their time?

Okoro, Bourdreaux, Williams, Dowuana, Haarms, Gillis/Timmie, Wheeler

That's very Forward/Center heavy -

Meanwhile the guards would be Eastern and Carsen (assuming they don't leave early), Sasha, Hunter, Thompson... would be a little light at the guards.

Reactions: OldNavyBoiler

I think it is because his 247 profile lists him as 6'5" 180. Everywhere else he is listed 6'8" and around 230.

I just watched some tape of Boudreaux...Sorry, the guy is not a B10 level athlete. He's a below the rim 6'8 player. He might be player, but when a decent player goes against other decent players who also happen to be good athletes, it doesn't end well.
Purdue has had enough of them in the past, don't need to add another to the list.

Two more replies to others comments in this thread.

1. Do you believe PJ was good enough to lead Purdue to the FF?
Yes, he was good enough to beat a FF team twice and get Purdue ranked #2 at one point in the season.

2. We would have been hard pressed to beat Villanova with Haas.
I would have liked our chances with Haas against Nova. He had 22 points in 20 minutes against them last year.

Okoro, Bourdreaux, Williams, Dowuana, Haarms, Gillis/Timmie, Wheeler

That's very Forward/Center heavy -

Meanwhile the guards would be Eastern and Carsen (assuming they don't leave early), Sasha, Hunter, Thompson... would be a little light at the guards.
I meant one, maybe two, from the "slashed" set ... oops

I just watched some tape of Boudreaux...Sorry, the guy is not a B10 level athlete. He's a below the rim 6'8 player. He might be player, but when a decent player goes against other decent players who also happen to be good athletes, it doesn't end well.
Purdue has had enough of them in the past, don't need to add another to the list.
This my friends is what basketball knowledge that would fit in a thimble looks like. Of course, the Bird comments even top this.

Boudreaux is now a BOILER!!

Reactions: hoosierdog1
and the beat goes on ....

I think it was smart to get him. Maybe it puts pressure on Okoro/Hall to commit early. Have some very good incoming guards in Hunter and Thompson, but neither are really in the PG mold, not that our system particularly needs it, would love to add a strong passer/ball handler that can defend, shoot and make good decisions who is preferably over 6 feet. Don't think I am asking for too much really.

I think it was smart to get him. Maybe it puts pressure on Okoro/Hall to commit early. Have some very good incoming guards in Hunter and Thompson, but neither are really in the PG mold, not that our system particularly needs it, would love to add a strong passer/ball handler that can defend, shoot and make good decisions who is preferably over 6 feet. Don't think I am asking for too much really.
?? Joseph Chartouny ??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT