ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers 2018

I think Spike had a medical redshirt and had a year of playing eligibility when he came to Purdue. McIntosh never redshirted. Not sure about Dakich but it seemed he was around for a decade.

If Painter adds....I hope it's a great PG who can come in and run this team immediately. Replacing PJ is going to much harder than many believe.

Gotta disagree again...PJ is easily replaceable and it should be able to find a 6’3 guard who can hit an open 3 but also get his own shot, rebound and play some D (but isn’t 5’8).

Gotta disagree again...PJ is easily replaceable and it should be able to find a 6’3 guard who can hit an open 3 but also get his own shot, rebound and play some D (but isn’t 5’8).
Yeah people really overate PJ. He is pretty easily replaceable. The guy averaged less than 2 boards and 2 assists per game and was an overated defender. I think he didn't get nearly enough attention for his poor rebounding. And while he is a smart defender his lack of length and athleticism really limited his abiltity to contribute to the team defense.

I guess painter has a had a real hard time getting good point play but while PJ was reliable he is a real low bar to overcome. I would hope Eastern develops and I would guess guess Carson will want to play some point because thats the position he would have to play at the next level

With Eastern and Isaiah coming in, I’m not sure he’ll do that. Another option is for CE to play point. That’s where he realistically would need to play in the NBA. So why not give him the experience and put the ball in our best player’s hands?

Simple answer? That's not what Purdue needs.
Sure, it's great to balance a player's future (NBA?) with what the current team needs, but that's not what we need him doing.

PJ did a great job in the role that he was asked to fill. All players can eventually be replaced, but he was a solid player and a great representative of Purdue. He was a big part of the tremendous group of recruits that helped right the ship for our basketball program. Boiler Up

He can't shoot tho. 30% 3pt and 69% FT. We have seen what happens with too many guys who can't shoot.
My thoughts too ... he would need to have shooters all around him. Still, shooters often don't lead the nation in steals .... damn curses with the blessings.

Reactions: TX4GB
PJ did a great job in the role that he was asked to fill. All players can eventually be replaced, but he was a solid player and a great representative of Purdue. He was a big part of the tremendous group of recruits that helped right the ship for our basketball program. Boiler Up
And he was the most criticized...and I believe wrongly so....of all the players on the PU roster this year. Props to the short guy with the huge heart.

Yeah people really overate PJ. He is pretty easily replaceable. The guy averaged less than 2 boards and 2 assists per game and was an overated defender. I think he didn't get nearly enough attention for his poor rebounding. And while he is a smart defender his lack of length and athleticism really limited his abiltity to contribute to the team defense.

I guess painter has a had a real hard time getting good point play but while PJ was reliable he is a real low bar to overcome. I would hope Eastern develops and I would guess guess Carson will want to play some point because thats the position he would have to play at the next level
He didn't get enough attention for his poor rebounding??? If you expected PJ to be a major rebounder then I can't help you. On offense, Painter wanted two safeties for transition D, so unless PJ drove to the basket he was one of those charged with getting back when the shot went up. On defense Purdue switched so often that PJ was mostly on top. I'm guessing his man didn't rebound much either.

These people that only like to criticize those that give all they have really make me sick.

He didn't get enough attention for his poor rebounding??? If you expected PJ to be a major rebounder then I can't help you. On offense, Painter wanted two safeties for transition D, so unless PJ drove to the basket he was one of those charged with getting back when the shot went up. On defense Purdue switched so often that PJ was mostly on top. I'm guessing his man didn't rebound much either.

These people that only like to criticize those that give all they have really make me sick.
PJ let plenty of opposing guards have field days on the offensive glass rebounding is a team effort you don't get a pass because you were a guard. In the modern game point guards get more and more rebounds off long shots giving up offensive boards is bad.

I can't stand fans who are delusional. I don't dislike PJ but no one is above criticism

Reactions: PUQBMan.
My thoughts too ... he would need to have shooters all around him. Still, shooters often don't lead the nation in steals .... damn curses with the blessings.
The Arizona Wildcats have been in contact with Evansville graduate transfer Ryan Taylor, according to ESPN’s Jeff Goodman.

A 6-foot-5 wing, Taylor averaged 21.2 points and 3.8 rebounds per game this past season as a redshirt junior. The Gary, Indiana native shot 42 percent from the field, 42 percent from 3, and 86 percent from the free-throw line.

Evansville grad transfer Ryan Taylor has heard from Butler, Northwestern, Vandy, South Carolina, Ohio St, Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Illinois, Georgetown, Creighton, Minnesota, BC, Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Wake, Miami, Purdue, Baylor, Maryland & Missouri, source told ESPN.

So with both the Little Miller boys going after him, which one puts the most money in the envelope to get him?

PJ was fine, but really limited in what he could do. I gave him his props for the Butler game , but you can’t afford to have a starter with so many limitations and expect them to beat guys deep in the tourney.

Giving all you have doesn’t help when the guy you’re playing is 6’4, faster, quicker, can jump higher, etc.
I respect the effort but it’s really Painter’s fault in recruiting.

Spike Albrecht received a medical hardship waiver (from an injury in 2015/16 year), allowing him to play his final year, IIRC.

PJ let plenty of opposing guards have field days on the offensive glass rebounding is a team effort you don't get a pass because you were a guard. In the modern game point guards get more and more rebounds off long shots giving up offensive boards is bad.

I can't stand fans who are delusional. I don't dislike PJ but no one is above criticism

...and I can't stand fans who are choose one or two variables and make comments like you have. Ask Painter if he would bring back PJ? Bet he would say yes in a heartbeat. Did he have limitations? Yes, all players not named MJ or Lebron do....did he have other intangibles that offset those...heck yeah. I'd take PJ back every day of the week....

...and I can't stand fans who are choose one or two variables and make comments like you have. Ask Painter if he would bring back PJ? Bet he would say yes in a heartbeat. Did he have limitations? Yes, all players not named MJ or Lebron do....did he have other intangibles that offset those...heck yeah. I'd take PJ back every day of the week....
I would tak PJ back as a backup point guard that would play 10 minutes a game. Purdue was and will not be a final four caliber team with a point guard with the talent of PJ

I would tak PJ back as a backup point guard that would play 10 minutes a game. Purdue was and will not be a final four caliber team with a point guard with the talent of PJ
So, you're saying that even with a healthy Haas and Vince, Purdue had zero change of reaching that FF even though many who know the game both in the media and from withing the coaches box had PU winning it all. Sorry, but PJ has become too much of a whipping boy when in reality he did a very good job at running this team.

Simple answer? That's not what Purdue needs.
Sure, it's great to balance a player's future (NBA?) with what the current team needs, but that's not what we need him doing.

Why do you believe that’s not what we need him doing? Not trying to be critical of your opinion, just trying to understand. Carsen’s a bit undersized for a shooting guard and he’s probably the best ball handler on the team. Plus he can choose to drive to the basket, dish off, or create his own shot. And it doesn’t mean he can’t come off of a screen for an open 3.

I could see:
- Carsen/Eastern at the PG
- Sasha/Cline at the 2
- Wheeler/Eastern at the 3
- Williams/TBD at the 4
- Haarms/JT at the 5

Why do you believe that’s not what we need him doing? Not trying to be critical of your opinion, just trying to understand. Carsen’s a bit undersized for a shooting guard and he’s probably the best ball handler on the team. Plus he can choose to drive to the basket, dish off, or create his own shot. And it doesn’t mean he can’t come off of a screen for an open 3.

I could see:
- Carsen/Eastern at the PG
- Sasha/Cline at the 2
- Wheeler/Eastern at the 3
- Williams/TBD at the 4
- Haarms/JT at the 5

Simple answer: I think he's more effective coming to the ball, cutting, etc. And, I want him focused on going around screens, instead of bringing the ball up the court.

I don't think bringing the ball up the court against NCAA competition will in any way prepare him for being the point guard in the NBA, nor will his lack of NCAA experience affect his NBA ability.

In other posts I've railed on what I consider the outdated notion of 1-5 positions. Basketball has become so perimeter-oriented, those numbers/positions mean less and less. Give me a really good PG, 3 really good wing players, and an athletic big, and we could make a LOT of noise.

I’ll take something close to a Brian Cardinal type if Boudreaux is that type of player.

Simple answer: I think he's more effective coming to the ball, cutting, etc. And, I want him focused on going around screens, instead of bringing the ball up the court.

I don't think bringing the ball up the court against NCAA competition will in any way prepare him for being the point guard in the NBA, nor will his lack of NCAA experience affect his NBA ability.

In other posts I've railed on what I consider the outdated notion of 1-5 positions. Basketball has become so perimeter-oriented, those numbers/positions mean less and less. Give me a really good PG, 3 really good wing players, and an athletic big, and we could make a LOT of noise.

Don’t disagree with you on your last comment. That’s why I wouldn’t be that concerned with Carsen bringing the ball up the court. I think where we’ve struggle is not having athletic wing players, outside of Vince. I look forward to seeing Wheeler on the court next year.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT