ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue lands Marian transfer Ella Collier

I understand. There is one statistic that is a direct comparison between different levels of basketball...FTs. In 2023-2024 season, there was only one other player (only 80 FTs) in DI, DII, DII, or NAIA besides Collier who hit 95+% of her FTs. Collier's was at 96.1% (146-152). I realize this is only one aspect of the game, but her shooting stroke is incredibly consistent. This will be my last post on her FTs...I promise. lol!
And she was a 50 40 90 in high school also ( at least her sophomore year) before attaining that feat 4 years in a row at Marian. I can’t find her line for that stat for her junior and senior years, but five 50 40 90 out if 8 is still pretty dang good. I am excited to see how she does at d-1 level. Boiler up!
Juan

Reactions: tomgloe
I guess Collier will be a really good litmus test to see if Gearlds knows what kind of talent it takes to be a good D1 player. I will frankly be shocked if Collier lives up to half this hype.
I don't think there's been that much hype around Ella Collier. Gearlds just said she's a great natural shooter. I'm sure she is. At the same time, everyone acknowledges she'll be making a huge jump up from NAIA to the B1G. We'll see how she does at this level. I'm not expecting her to be all-conference

I can see being disappointed if you're looking for Gearlds to land a program-changing transfer. Collier probably isn't that.

Reactions: z_one and jbvazq234
I don't think there's been that much hype around Ella Collier. Gearlds just said she's a great natural shooter. I'm sure she is. At the same time, everyone acknowledges she'll be making a huge jump up from NAIA to the B1G. We'll see how she does at this level. I'm not expecting her to be all-conference

I can see being disappointed if you're looking for Gearlds to land a program-changing transfer. Collier probably isn't that.
"Katie Gearlds was quoted in the latest Mike Carmin article that Ella Collier is the best shooter she's ever seen. She said if she gets her feet set it's almost automatic. She also compared her court awareness to Cass Hardin & Madison Layden. She said Ella sees things earlier than others."

This is the hype Gearlds is putting on her that I am talking about. Frankly I call bullshit, if she were that great a shooter, she would not have been bargain basement clearance in the portal. Unless you know our coach never watched our games with Iowa the last three years...........

"Katie Gearlds was quoted in the latest Mike Carmin article that Ella Collier is the best shooter she's ever seen. She said if she gets her feet set it's almost automatic. She also compared her court awareness to Cass Hardin & Madison Layden. She said Ella sees things earlier than others."

This is the hype Gearlds is putting on her that I am talking about. Frankly I call bullshit, if she were that great a shooter, she would not have been bargain basement clearance in the portal. Unless you know our coach never watched our games with Iowa the last three years...........

Two thoughts on that.

First, all those things probably are true of Collier to this point in her career. It's an open question if she'll be able to do it against B1G defenses.

Second, of course Gearlds is praising a player she just signed. I mean, what did you expect her to say? "Well, this is the best we could find. She's a hope and a prayer."

I'm not sure I see any hype or BS since Gearlds is referencing only shooting. I've posted this before, but I guess it takes a bit to sink in. Last year she shot 96.1% (146-152) of her FT's. That is the best percentage of the thousands of men's or women's DI, DII, DII, or NAIA players last year. Its also 5% higher than the Purdue women's all time record set by Abbey last year. That's hype and BS?

I'm not sure I see any hype or BS since Gearlds is referencing only shooting. I've posted this before, but I guess it takes a bit to sink in. Last year she shot 96.1% (146-152) of her FT's. That is the best percentage of the thousands of men's or women's DI, DII, DII, or NAIA players last year. Its also 5% higher than the Purdue women's all time record set by Abbey last year. That's hype and BS?
FTs is a tiny part of the game, the best all around shooter I have ever seen is named Caitlyn Clark, and I REALLY doubt Collier can sink them in games the way CC did/does. And if she IS that good and KG is planning on bringing her in off the bench, our coach is an idiot.

FTs is a tiny part of the game, the best all around shooter I have ever seen is named Caitlyn Clark, and I REALLY doubt Collier can sink them in games the way CC did/does. And if she IS that good and KG is planning on bringing her in off the bench, our coach is an idiot.

Collier did sink them in games, to the tune of 50 + 40+ 90+ her four years at Marian plus at least her sophomore year in high school. Will she duplicate that in the huge ten? Nobody knows. But I expect she will sink some. And if she were able to do that at Purdue she will not be coming off the bench for very long, if at all. Boiler up!
Juan

Reactions: z_one
Come on Michael. Coach could announce that Paige Bueckers is transferring in and you would find a reason to bitch. Lol. Relax my friend....enjoy the game. Coach Gearlds knows that last year sucked and they need to win more.....lots more. It's her job on the line. The next season or two will tell the story on her Purdue coaching career. Win more and she'll be here long term. If we see more of last year.....her seat will start to get warm....very warm.

Come on Michael. Coach could announce that Paige Bueckers is transferring in and you would find a reason to bitch. Lol. Relax my friend....enjoy the game. Coach Gearlds knows that last year sucked and they need to win more.....lots more. It's her job on the line. The next season or two will tell the story on her Purdue coaching career. Win more and she'll be here long term. If we see more of last year.....her seat will start to get warm....very warm.
For her seat to get warm Bobinski would have to start caring about wbb, and with her big raise and extension it once again appears he doesn't even pay attention to how we are doing.

For her seat to get warm Bobinski would have to start caring about wbb, and with her big raise and extension it once again appears he doesn't even pay attention to how we are doing.
He cares. Does he care about wbb as much as mbb or fb? No, of course not. Those two sports support all the other sports. But he cares about wbb too.

You should like him.....he got rid of the coach you were complaining about for over a decade didn't he?

He cares. Does he care about wbb as much as mbb or fb? No, of course not. Those two sports support all the other sports. But he cares about wbb too.

You should like him.....he got rid of the coach you were complaining about for over a decade didn't he?
Only after a scandal broke so big he couldn't avoid it anymore, v remember he'd extended her once too.

One could argue Collier or alot of other players we're better set shooters than Clark, CC only shot over 40% from 3 one time in her college career. Now don't get me wrong, Clark is transcendent, and her percentage is certainly higher if she didn't have every eye on her, and if she didn't take so many contested and deep shots. The numbers are what they are though and a miss is a miss.

You don't see Clark take too many mid range shots either so who knows how that would stack up against Collier who I believe does take more mid range jumpers based on limited video I've seen of her.

All of this to say, I don't think CKG was saying Collier is the next coming of CC, just that she's a very good shooter when she gets an open look and has her feet set. Let's not blow this out of proportion.

Reactions: Boiler Up Time
One could argue Collier or alot of other players we're better set shooters than Clark, CC only shot over 40% from 3 one time in her college career. Now don't get me wrong, Clark is transcendent, and her percentage is certainly higher if she didn't have every eye on her, and if she didn't take so many contested and deep shots. The numbers are what they are though and a miss is a miss.

You don't see Clark take too many mid range shots either so who knows how that would stack up against Collier who I believe does take more mid range jumpers based on limited video I've seen of her.

All of this to say, I don't think CKG was saying Collier is the next coming of CC, just that she's a very good shooter when she gets an open look and has her feet set. Let's not blow this out of proportion.
Precisely! She was only referring to pure shooting, nothing else. The fact that Collier has the best FT percentage of any college player at any level along with her other high shooting statistics is ample evidence to support such a statement. I have as many doubts as anyone on whether Gearlds will be successful, but the post characterizing her statement as BS is in fact BS with a high dosage steroids itself. lol!

Reactions: tomgloe
Only after a scandal broke so big he couldn't avoid it anymore, v remember he'd extended her once too.
I dont think thats right. Didnt CSV get a sweetheart deal from the Burke as he left. Now I will grant you I dont think he cares enough to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars for someone to not coach a game.

As for collier, I wouldnt put too much stock into ft pct. To shoot fts you have to be in a position to get fouled going to the basket, which I think there are several better players for that on the team - A Reynolds, Jones, Swanson, smith, Lombard, etc.

The number I hope transfers is three pt pct. This is a team that needs a three pt presence on the court at all times and it barely had it until Swanson got going in February.

I dont think thats right. Didnt CSV get a sweetheart deal from the Burke as he left. Now I will grant you I dont think he cares enough to spend a couple hundred thousand dollars for someone to not coach a game.

As for collier, I wouldnt put too much stock into ft pct. To shoot fts you have to be in a position to get fouled going to the basket, which I think there are several better players for that on the team - A Reynolds, Jones, Swanson, smith, Lombard, etc.

The number I hope transfers is three pt pct. This is a team that needs a three pt presence on the court at all times and it barely had it until Swanson got going in February.
A 90+ Free throw shooter is extremely valuable when you’re trying to hold on to a lead at the end of games. And in women’s bb with no longer any one and one’s, a player like collier will give you two points almost every single time. Boiler up!
Juan

A 90+ Free throw shooter is extremely valuable when you’re trying to hold on to a lead at the end of games. And in women’s bb with no longer any one and one’s, a player like collier will give you two points almost every single time. Boiler up!
Juan
Assuming she is a good enough ball handler to not turn it over under intense pressure end of game, and can defend well enough to be a game finisher in place of Jones or Swanson. I doubt it very much.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
Assuming she is a good enough ball handler to not turn it over under intense pressure end of game, and can defend well enough to be a game finisher in place of Jones or Swanson. I doubt it very much.
At end of games the trailing team has two enemies: the leading team and the clock. Depending on how many possessions they trail by, will dictate whether they try to create a turnover or foul immediately. If she is good enough to get open on inbounds I’d rather have her to receive the ball and get fouled than anyone else. I have never seen her play, but she was a core all star as a junior and an all star as a senior with great numbers throughout her career. You dismiss her right off because of where she chose to play her college basketball. That’s like saying “ nothing good comes out of Nazareth.” If you turn out to be right and she falls on her face, an eight year long string if success succeeding success will be snapped. So we’ll see. Boiler up!
Juan

Reactions: z_one and Russ Ford
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT