ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move on and support the current roster.

PU52Chevy

All-American
Jul 18, 2006
Let's show our Purdue Pride and not talk about what was and move forward with what will be an awesome team Purdue will be this year and in the future.

Captains will be: Wheeler, Sasha and Hunter (TBD)
MVP: Tre or Hunter
Most Improved: Wheeler (He is going to kick some ass this year)
6th Man: Newman or Gillis
Top Newcomer: Morton

I am also excited to see Dow and Edey grow in practice and on the court.

Exciting stuff and couple that with Furst on the way and possibly Kaufman and Ingram.

Boiler Up!

I think the staff will need to grab a grad transfer capable of playing both the 4 and 5, similar to what Evan did. If anything you want another big body bang around in practice, and a bit of an insurance policy. Our 4 spot is really thin, one untimely injury to Gillis or Wheeler and you have basically Newman/Morton playing some 4 which isn't ideal.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think the staff will need to grab a grad transfer capable of playing both the 4 and 5, similar to what Evan did. If anything you want another big body bang around in practice, and a bit of an insurance policy. Our 4 spot is really thin, one untimely injury to Gillis or Wheeler and you have basically Newman/Morton playing some 4 which isn't ideal.

I will be surprised if we add anyone this year. As long as Tre can play and be effective in his 28-30 minutes and not wear down, we will be good. Dow and in some situations Wheeler can surely handle 10-12 minutes at the 5?

I will be surprised if we add anyone this year. As long as Tre can play and be effective in his 28-30 minutes and not wear down, we will be good. Dow and in some situations Wheeler can surely handle 10-12 minutes at the 5?
I think edey will see minutes at the 5 next year.

Wheeler at the 5??

Let's show our Purdue Pride and not talk about what was and move forward with what will be an awesome team Purdue will be this year and in the future.

Exciting stuff and couple that with Furst on the way and possibly Kaufman and Ingram.

Boiler Up!

Boiler Up indeed; can't wait to see this new team work with so many new faces.

Reactions: JRowdy20
Edey played against good competition I think at IMG. Haas was playing against Alabama HS teams before arriving and he did well as a freshman. Edey could be closer than we think to provide some minutes.

Edey played against good competition I think at IMG. Haas was playing against Alabama HS teams before arriving and he did well as a freshman. Edey could be closer than we think to provide some minutes.

Hope that is true...
If he is ready, would love to see him play. Just don't want a waisted year if he can't handle B10 competition.

Reactions: TX4GB
i am just hoping there will be a season to discuss. right now it doesnt look promising.for any college sports this year.i hope i am wrong.

Reactions: Schnelk
Haas averaged almost 8 pts and 4 rebs. No way Edey is close to that.

Hey Buddy, there is much more to it than points and rebounding. Edey is a little different in his back ground and make up. We will need him to rebound, set picks, play defense and not have turnovers, make his free throws and bring energy. I hope he does things like study scouting reports at a high level and learn quickly how to execute the plan that evolves from them. He already moves better than Haas did, so the 4 reb/g is not out of the question. We don't need him to score 8 pts/g. The court is a lot larger than that little square on the side of the lane. Opportunity is here. Let's wait and see.

You know, we might not be in bad shape. Especially if we are able to nab a grad transfer PF or C to spell Tre.

To be honest, we were going to have transfers eventually. There was not enough playing time to go around.

With our returning core (Tre, Sasha, Thompson, Hunter, Wheeler) - 5

+

Returning players coming off redshirt (Newman/Gillis) - 2

+

Incoming top 100 freshman (Morton/Ivey) - 2

+

Dow, who will likely play reserve minutes

= 10 players

With Haarms/Eastern returning, it was a clusterf*ck of 11-12 players which led to the question of who could redshirt.

This makes the redshirt question much clearer....guessing Edey is the only redshirt candidate now.

Reactions: Schnelk

Boiler Up!
Can't see Wheeler as a captain,he has enough problems of his own to try and figure out.

I will be pleasantly surprised at anything Wheeler contributes.

To be successful, I believe one of either Dow or Eden needs to play 20 minutes a game to spell Tre, and allow tre to switch back from the 4 and 5. I don't believe we have enough depth to allow Eden to redshirt. he did play for the Canadian national team, and is rather new to the game after switching over from playing hockey. he wasn't tremendous at IMG. but he was playing behind Duke's prized recruit. What can Dow give ? it will be his third year at Purdue. Hopefully it will be more than Matt Van Dunk gave us.

Not sure what to expect from Gillis. yes. he's fully recovered. but there's not that much cushion on his knees. Can he go 100% for an entire year without pain ? not sure.

I'm hoping one of either Ivey or Morton is talented enough to start. We have had freshmen start before, and they both have the talent. if one of those two proves talented enough to start, we will have an awesome backcourt.

I'd love to see IT be our 6th man. I say that because I truly believe all championship teams have great 6th men. Junior Bridgeman and Havlicek were 6th men. the 6th man from Villinova was a first round NBA draft pick by the Bucks.

Hunter and Sasha at the 3 ? It could work in the motion offense.

I believe our perimeter shooting will be vastly improved if only because eastern isn't part of it, and we will have guards not afraid to shoot the three.

the key will be the 4/5 position. a lot will be expected from Tre. and he will no doubt be double teamed every game forcing us to use our perimeter game to stop the sagging defense. that is where Wheeler or Dow or Eden or gillis has to be able to take some of the pressure off tre.

I'm lowering my preseason prediction to 20 wins, 4th in Big ten and making the NCAA tourney. I'm optimistic, but believe those are realistic goals to shoot for.

Reactions: jtanoos1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT