ADVERTISEMENT

Hofstra v. Purdue Game Thread

Purdue Grad in Texas

All-American
Mar 22, 2010
This evening, it's the #4th-ranked Purdue Boilermakers hosting the Hofstra Pride in Mackey Arena. Tip is scheduled for 7:00 pm (Eastern time), and television coverage is available on BTN+. Hofstra is 6-3 and coming off a tough 81-77 (OT) loss @ George Mason. Purdue is 8-0 and most recently beat Minnesota last Sunday at home, 89-70.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Hofstra - Nelson Boachie-Yiadom, Jaquan Carlos, Darlinstone Dubar, Tyler Thomas, and Aaron Estrada

Purdue - Caleb Furst (MG still sidelined with a minor back issue), Zach Edey, Ethan Morton, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Aaron Estrada is Hofstra's best player and leads them from the back-court. He could be one of the tougher guard match-ups the Boilers see all season. The senior guard has been a dominant force for the Pride and is coming off back-to-back strong outings. In a 72-70 win over Quinnipiac, Estrada scored 29 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out six assists. He followed that up with 31 points, five rebounds and two assists in the loss to George Mason. For the year, he is averaging 21.7 points, 5.3 rebounds, four assists and 1.6 steals.

Expect Purdue's defensive efforts and backcourt to focus on Estrada - try to limit his opportunities and make him work for scores. On offense, it's no secret Purdue will try to establish Zach Edey in the paint and work inside out. He joined a quartet of former Boilermakers with a game of at least 30 points and 20 rebounds for Purdue, with his 31 points and 22 rebounds against the Golden Gophers last Sunday. They should get some good looks early, but can the Boilers buck the trend from the last few games and get off to a better start. It's take them a little while to get going the last several games. It should be a little easier the second time around for Caleb Furst to adjust to the starting role - Mason Gillis is out again tonight with a minor back issue. Trey Kaufman-Renn should get extended minutes as well, and look for Purdue's front court to try and establish an edge on the glass again as they did last time out against Minnesota.

The rest of the game plan should be similar - it will come down to how the Boilers execute, especially if the long-range shots aren't falling. Last game, Purdue was 7-17 from deep, which I think is close to the ideal range for what Matt Painter wants for attempts when Zach Edey is also getting his opportunities. Fletcher Loyer is coming off a 20 pt/8 assist effort against Minnesota. Can he and the rest of the Boilers continue the momentum tonight?

We shall see starting in a little more than an hour or so.

Boiler up, my friends.

i
i

Well I took the $15 hit don't really want to miss a game in what could be one of the best seasons ever for Boilers

ADVERTISEMENT