ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move on

JB, as it regards Iowa, was very good at exploiting specific weaknesses in defense. Two games come to mind where Purdue won. 2021 wasn't a surprise for anyone paying attention. 2021 was a very unusual game from the perspective of scheduling and what transpired the week before. That's football. I had mentioned it before, but Purdue caught lightning in a bottle at least twice against Iowa. It's part of football, and it's way I mentioned none of this happens in a vacuum.

I base some of what I post on what I've witnessed in Purdue victories, and also base it on the unlikely probability it continues. This said, Iowa still has o line issues, so it's quite possible the Purdue winning trend continue for 1-2 more seasons. I don't see it after that based on depth. I go into 2-3 deeps to make my analysis. Iowa has a 2-3 deep issue at CB and OL. Various reasons, but players leaving early is one. CB is evidenced in last year's loss to Nebraska. CB 4-5 & 6 isn't where any team wants to be against any WR, and that WR will play on Sunday. One of JB's victories against Iowa was a CB 5 situation.

It's the Jimmy's and Joe's, and it ain't ever the starters exclusively, it is also depth. Iowa began the process of remedying the situation several years ago. A slow but consistent process that was change in the middle due to NIL. Purdue isn't close in terms of depth or NIL. Going back over historical winning records shows which team has done a better job at both, and a quick look at NIL money, and depth 3-4 deep are revealing. I state 3-4 deep as a 2 deep at Iowa, and a lot of other colleges, is a defacto starter. Two players in the 1st round drafted never started a game. Those schools were Iowa and Notre Dame I believe. 2 deep -v- starter is essentially meaningless at these schools. The drop there is between 2 and 3-4. The drop at Purdue is between 1 and 2. Long term the die is cast. Doesn't mean Purdue can't change that, but it also doesn't mean it can be quickly changed.

But, and again, based on your posts, I watch and understand college football at a different level then you do.
I’m not reading all that.. from anyone here. Cliff notes

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
JB, as it regards Iowa, was very good at exploiting specific weaknesses in defense. Two games come to mind where Purdue won. 2021 wasn't a surprise for anyone paying attention. 2021 was a very unusual game from the perspective of scheduling and what transpired the week before. That's football. I had mentioned it before, but Purdue caught lightning in a bottle at least twice against Iowa. It's part of football, and it's way I mentioned none of this happens in a vacuum.

I base some of what I post on what I've witnessed in Purdue victories, and also base it on the unlikely probability it continues. This said, Iowa still has o line issues, so it's quite possible the Purdue winning trend continue for 1-2 more seasons. I don't see it after that based on depth. I go into 2-3 deeps to make my analysis. Iowa has a 2-3 deep issue at CB and OL. Various reasons, but players leaving early is one. CB is evidenced in last year's loss to Nebraska. CB 4-5 & 6 isn't where any team wants to be against any WR, and that WR will play on Sunday. One of JB's victories against Iowa was a CB 5 situation.

It's the Jimmy's and Joe's, and it ain't ever the starters exclusively, it is also depth. Iowa began the process of remedying the situation several years ago. A slow but consistent process that was change in the middle due to NIL. Purdue isn't close in terms of depth or NIL. Going back over historical winning records shows which team has done a better job at both, and a quick look at NIL money, and depth 3-4 deep are revealing. I state 3-4 deep as a 2 deep at Iowa, and a lot of other colleges, is a defacto starter. Two players in the 1st round drafted never started a game. Those schools were Iowa and Notre Dame I believe. 2 deep -v- starter is essentially meaningless at these schools. The drop there is between 2 and 3-4. The drop at Purdue is between 1 and 2. Long term the die is cast. Doesn't mean Purdue can't change that, but it also doesn't mean it can be quickly changed.

But, and again, based on your posts, I watch and understand college football at a different level then you do.

Yes, the OL is the reason Petras was airmailing passes over the heads of receivers the past few seasons and why Brian and his daddy kept playing him...

You're delusional about your own knowledge of football. And you're delusional about how well respected Brian Ferentz is as an OC. He's been the laughingstock of the college football community. Even a large chunk of Iowa fans have been calling for his head and questioning the nepotism of Kirk. Why don't you take that "knowledge" you have and go back to the Iowa board so all of your Hawkeye buddies can enjoy it. It's not really helping anyone here...

Yes, the OL is the reason Petras was airmailing passes over the heads of receivers the past few seasons and why Brian and his daddy kept playing him...

You're delusional about your own knowledge of football. And you're delusional about how well respected Brian Ferentz is as an OC. He's been the laughingstock of the college football community. Even a large chunk of Iowa fans have been calling for his head and questioning the nepotism of Kirk. Why don't you take that "knowledge" you have and go back to the Iowa board so all of your Hawkeye buddies can enjoy it. It's not really helping anyone here...
"Yes, the OL is the reason Petras was airmailing passes over the heads of receivers the past few seasons and why Brian and his daddy kept playing him..."

It was some of the reason, not all of the reason, and I never stated this. To deny this is to be willfully uninformed.

"You're delusional about your own knowledge of football. "

lol

"And you're delusional about how well respected Brian Ferentz is as an OC.

I speak to BB, as well as others, on a somewhat regular basis in the summer. I'm assuming youre that connected also? lol

"He's been the laughingstock of the college football community. Even a large chunk of Iowa fans have been calling for his head and questioning the nepotism of Kirk"

While this is true anecdotally, it has nothing to do with what I've posted. What college football community are you referring to? Coaches and those of us that understand the business, or fans like yourself?

"Why don't you take that "knowledge" you have and go back to the Iowa board so all of your Hawkeye buddies can enjoy it"

The football acumen on the ON3 site is pretty decent, several former players and coaches, and fairly objective. There are homers also. This board has the latter. I'll do what I please in regards to where I post, but appreciate your input.

"It's not really helping anyone here..."

That is a "you" problem as I've given insight into Purdue's team. Whether you choose to believe it, or even understand it, I have no control over that. It's odd (not to me) that Purude's coaches, at least former coaches, comments align with my observations, rather than what is posted on here.

I've made several statement on here of a predictive nature. I'll be back when these come to fruition. You're welcome to do what you wish.

"Yes, the OL is the reason Petras was airmailing passes over the heads of receivers the past few seasons and why Brian and his daddy kept playing him..."

It was some of the reason, not all of the reason, and I never stated this. To deny this is to be willfully uninformed.

lol

I speak to BB, as well as others, on a somewhat regular basis in the summer. I'm assuming youre that connected also? lol

"He's been the laughingstock of the college football community. Even a large chunk of Iowa fans have been calling for his head and questioning the nepotism of Kirk"

While this is true anecdotally, it has nothing to do with what I've posted. What college football community are you referring to? Coaches and those of us that understand the business, or fans like yourself?

"Why don't you take that "knowledge" you have and go back to the Iowa board so all of your Hawkeye buddies can enjoy it"

The football acumen on the ON3 site is pretty decent, several former players and coaches, and fairly objective. There are homers also. This board has the latter. I'll do what I please in regards to where I post, but appreciate your input.

That is a "you" problem as I've given insight into Purdue's team. Whether you choose to believe it, or even understand it, I have no control over that. It's odd (not to me) that Purude's coaches, at least former coaches, comments align with my observations, rather than what is posted on here.

I've made several statement on here of a predictive nature. I'll be back when these come to fruition. You're welcome to do what you wish.

I don't give 2 rats asses who you "speak to" over the summer. Being "connected" has nothing to do with your "football knowledge" and name dropping (whomever BB is) is just a sign of an inflated ego.

If you haven't yet figured it out, the football media has been skewering him and his dad. This is just one example. But keep thinking your delusional thoughts are infallible...

lol

He's not even well respected at his own university. When the AD publicly calls you out and takes money away from you, you're not that well respected...

Based on offensive line as per my above post, and the addition of an all BIG QB and TE, the answer is obviously yes. But if there is no improvement in o line play, then it is an open question. But even if there isn't improvement on the o line the offense would still be improved based on the significant skill position upgrades. TE's at Iowa are skill positions. The one TE will almost be a WR. Except he can block, and receivers blocking downfield is a significant part of a running game in a zone blocking scheme.

You'd need to understand how much Purdue's offenses have made it more difficult on Purdue's defenses. More so than the defensive talent in the specific case of Purdue, and most teams that don't recruit to a high level.

It's pretty unclear how exactly Harrell dovetails into allowing more ball control for the defense.

Is Walters a long term solution? I think so. Is the OC? I'm not sure how that will work out. What do the head coach and offensive coordinator have to do with Purdue's defense? A lot as evidenced by past seasons and empirical data. You can't hang out a defense and expect much more than .500 in the B1G, which is where Purdue has been in recent history.

This debate about next season reminds me of the Indiana fans prior to the 2021 games. I tried to explain to them the missing pieces and the disconnect in schemes, but they refused to understand that there are 3-4 moving pieces on a football team, and they need to compliment each other, not work against each other.

All this is going to change going forward as Walters watched and learned with Bielema. Next season though? I'm not sure, but I suspect Purdue's success will be based on defense, not offense.
It's a big benefit that Walters had a two year tour through the Big before coming to Purdue.

It's a big benefit that Walters had a two year tour through the Big before coming to Purdue.
I don't disagree, and never said I disagreed. My points are it's not instantly going to be like be like Illinois based on depth and the offense Purdue (supposedly) is going to run. I susepct the offense might be different than a lot are anticipating though. We'll all find out eventually.

I don't disagree, and never said I disagreed. My points are it's not instantly going to be like be like Illinois based on depth and the offense Purdue (supposedly) is going to run. I susepct the offense might be different than a lot are anticipating though. We'll all find out eventually.
Your entire premise is pace. The pace of the Purdue offense, based on quicker possessions, would give Iowa more possessions and snaps. But that wouldn’t increase their effectiveness per possession or snap.

Also, what if bielema’s offense is outdated and if Purdue’s would just score more points in shorter possessions. What type of offense has Iowa done worse against? Air raid concepts or bielema ball?

• Haha
Iowa did fold llke a tent. Actually they didn't fold, the offensive line was never any good from day 1. I never said anything differently.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think (imagine) will have more players from the 2023 draft stick on NFL rosters, Iowa or Purdue? I'll even let you include practice squads.
I think AOC will have longevity for sure. QB's seem to always have longer careers. The hardest part is for them to make it and that's over.

Your entire premise is pace. The pace of the Purdue offense, based on quicker possessions, would give Iowa more possessions and snaps. But that wouldn’t increase their effectiveness per possession or snap.

Also, what if bielema’s offense is outdated and if Purdue’s would just score more points in shorter possessions. What type of offense has Iowa done worse against? Air raid concepts or bielema ball?
Remember that he is in iowa world where the team is lauded for winning with as few points as possible. Because you know that offensive touchdowns count less than defensive touchdowns. Like iowa fans wouldn’t kill for 2-3 offensive touchdowns per game. This whole garbage of an offense that scores having a bearing in the defense is just garbage.

Remember that he is in iowa world where the team is lauded for winning with as few points as possible. Because you know that offensive touchdowns count less than defensive touchdowns. Like iowa fans wouldn’t kill for 2-3 offensive touchdowns per game. This whole garbage of an offense that scores having a bearing in the defense is just garbage.
Go read Kirk ferentz’ wiki. These people think they created new chess theory lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Omg. I read that. They truly believe bad offense makes for great defense. Because, you know, ohio state and michigan are never scoring points so they must never win.
Golf probably missed the 03 Purdue Iowa game… I think Walters teams are going to look a lot like that 03 team IF he figures RT out.

• Wow
I have been thinking the same thing. I have been quietly thinking purdue is going to have an explosive offense with a stifling defense for the first time in a long time.

• Haha
But how did we win? We were playing right into iowa’s hands in that game by scoring points and by them having ball control offense. They only scored 14. That should have gotten them the most efficient victory because our offense wasn’t about game control. How could we possibly play defense when our offense keeps them out on the field so long. Why werent we winning games 5-2.

Last edited:
  • Haha
But how did we win? We were playing right into iowa’s hands in that game by scoring points and by them having ball control offense. They only scored 14, that should have been gotten them the most efficient victory because our offense wasn’t about game control. How did could we possible play defense when our offense keeps them out on the field so long. Why werent we winning games 5-2.
anthony chambers was not supposed to get open.

Also.. what was Iowa doing throwing that pass to beat LSU a couple years later

• Haha
The argument, actually the logic and fact, is that Illinois' offense helped Illinois' defense, just as Iowa's offence has helped Iowa's defense. Now reconcile Purdue's new offensive and defensive coordinators and predict how that's going to work in the first year. What your new defensive coordinator is walking into is a completely different thing than Illinois. And due to this, he will give up more points at Purdue than he did at Illinois. If he doesn't, he's coach of the year, maybe coach of the century.

Again, we can check back next December but you're missing something very, very significant to Purdue's defense next season. The schemes at Purdue do not compliment each other like the schemes at Illinois did. Could it work out eventually? Sure. But if you're basing your season on Purdue's defense being remotely close to what Illinois was last season, I think you're in for some disappointment.
Yup.

What sadist brought these old posts up again?
There was a bet. I indicated I'd be back to see who was correct in December. I'm a couple of days early. Purdue football will be fine, notwithstanding hte overreaction by the posters on this site.

Last edited:
It is interesting to see some of the same posters who liked a post complaining about talent level being low are now arguing the talent level is just fine and aghast when folks suggest this team has talent issues.
It’s relative my man.

We had the talent to win several games we blew this year. That was on the coaches. Just like it was on Brohm when we didn’t win those games before.

We aren’t high level, top 25 talented but we are and we’re talented enough to beat Syracuse, Nebraska, Fresno and others and blew it.

The schedule was “tough” - but we only played 2 teams we had no chance against. The rest were examples of poor scheming and coaching that so many of us were upset about.

Relying and waiting on Purdue to get more talented than the teams on its schedule is a fools errand. We have to have coaches that understand the talent limitations we will always have and coach to strengths instead of accentuating weakness with scheme.

I don’t doubt we can get MORE talented with good recruiting…but even with good recruiting at Purdue the Oregon’s, USCs, Michigans and OSUs will always be more talented. What are we doing to beat THEM?

It’s relative my man.

We had the talent to win several games we blew this year. That was on the coaches. Just like it was on Brohm when we didn’t win those games before.

We aren’t high level, top 25 talented but we are and we’re talented enough to beat Syracuse, Nebraska, Fresno and others and blew it.

The schedule was “tough” - but we only played 2 teams we had no chance against. The rest were examples of poor scheming and coaching that so many of us were upset about.

Relying and waiting on Purdue to get more talented than the teams on its schedule is a fools errand. We have to have coaches that understand the talent limitations we will always have and coach to strengths instead of accentuating weakness with scheme.

I don’t doubt we can get MORE talented with good recruiting…but even with good recruiting at Purdue the Oregon’s, USCs, Michigans and OSUs will always be more talented. What are we doing to beat THEM?
Lol that wasn't what the post you liked was remotely talking about but sure thing bud.

Lol that wasn't what the post you liked was remotely talking about but sure thing bud.
He likes Jeff. You should seen him in 2021. You had to be 1000% all Purdue or you were a maniac. Then he got lucky when a walk on that brohm didn’t choose to be the starter went on a run to being a NFL starter

I do t have days to go back and read posts from years ago. What I stated was how I feel.

This team was a big disappointment and my goals weren’t unrealistic

He likes Jeff. You should seen him in 2021. You had to be 1000% all Purdue or you were a maniac. Then he got lucky when a walk on that brohm didn’t choose to be the starter went on a run to being a NFL starter
Lucky. 9, 8 and 10 win seasons and the guy is lucky. Got it!

Old boy will pop off about how we had the talent to beat Nebraska, but Nebraska’s 14th ranked player on defense per pff is Luke Reimer at 68.4. Purdue has 5 players who rated better than that on defense. One is a backup and one is out for the year.

And I showed in another thread that very few players got materially worse. The only player who was that good last year and dropped below that on our defense was cam Allen

Lucky. 9, 8 and 10 win seasons and the guy is lucky. Got it!
I’d love to see our record with that sorry ass schedule brohm played lol. 6-5 Kentucky and it was all she wrote. He better not get a top tier SEC team in the bowl game cause you know what will happen

I’d love to see our record with that sorry ass schedule brohm played lol. 6-5 Kentucky and it was all she wrote. He better not get a top tier SEC team in the bowl game cause you know what will happen
Bowl games are crazy. I’d hate to have a coach who could take us to one.

Bowl games are crazy. I’d hate to have a coach who could take us to one.
I hated half the ones we went to. Nothing like a team taking their foot off the gas so they don’t score 154 points on Purdue.

But you’re the dope who thinks we have more talent than Nebraska, when the reality is frost brought in a lot of talent, he was just an idiot

I hated half the ones we went to. Nothing like a team taking their foot off the gas so they don’t score 154 points on Purdue.

But you’re the dope who thinks we have more talent than Nebraska, when the reality is frost brought in a lot of talent, he was just an idiot
Sorry, I watch with my eyes and don’t run to a website to tell me what to think.

Reactions: Bippus33
2022 pff ratings for this years receivers

Rice 61.2
Sheffield 59.5
Yaseen 53.2
Burks 51.4

Idiot18 - where’s the high octane passing game. Look at all that talent

Lol

To give you an idea of how god awful those ratings are, under Darrell hazell, anthony mahoungou was at a 67.2 as a sophomore

Sorry, I watch with my eyes and don’t run to a website to tell me what to think.
All of these sites from rivals to on3 post pff ratings. When they start asking your dumb ass what you think (and pay you money for it) I’ll defer to you too. Only the biggest Jeff brohm supporter looking to slam Walters simply because he’s not Jeff brohm.. thinks Burks, Yaseen, rice and Sheffield were good in BROHM’s last year here.

2022 pff ratings for this years receivers

Rice 61.2
Sheffield 59.5
Yaseen 53.2
Burks 51.4

Idiot18 - where’s the high octane passing game. Look at all that talent

Lol

To give you an idea of how god awful those ratings are, under Darrell hazell, anthony mahoungou was at a 67.2 as a sophomore
It’s not my fault we hired Harrell

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT