ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the next three conference games

proudopete

All-American
Jan 26, 2010
1. Rutgers at home: Tough defense with a big who has given Edey troubles in the past.
These guys like to play bully ball and IMO the job they did against IU has people more worried than need be for Purdue. This Purdue team isn’t soft and I think they will simply punch back when they get hit. Edey has improved in so many areas that it’s hard to not think Edey comes out on top going against Omoruyi.
Keys to the game will be to protect the ball, keep it moving and to attack the scrambling defense. Good, deep touches for Z and an increasing in 3% will go a long way to securing a home win.

2. OSU on the road: Solid team with an undersized Key in the paint.
I see this as a big win for this team. I think the home court at OSU is minimal at best. I also see a chance for the Boilers to pick up a good road win as well as regaining a winning margin against all B10 teams. (Not sure about the newest teams??)
Keys to the game will be using our size advantage and feeding the ball inside early and often. Protect the 3 point line from guys like Sueing and rebounding at our normal rate.

3. PSU at neutral site: Hot shooting team with insider knowledge on what Purdue wants to run on offense.
This game worries me the most out of the three. Penn St is shooting lights out from 3 and from several different guys. They don’t have a ton of size however and will play four out against us. Edey should have another big game here and probably half of it from the line. Guards and wings need to know who are the shooters and make them out the ball on the floor.
Keys to this game would be 3 point defense along with using our size as an advantage. We are going to need to really shoot well in this game and to possibly play some small ball. Luckily this team has played some small ball this year and it appears we have the players to be able to pull it off if needed. I still see this game as a win.

Honestly, I am more confident at winning all three if you look at them as one game at a time than I am as a group. Each team will provide a tough matchup such as good shooters, bully type players or veteran squad but, Purdue will have advantages of its own in each game and those advantages all start with Zach Edey. Zach is just at another level than any other player so far this season. His hands are stronger, his lives are more deliberate and his conditioning is off the charts. We also have two of the best freshman in the league in Smith and Loyer. For me however, our strength as a team is our quality depth. I look for us to tighten the rotation a bit going into league play. Yet, I see a 7 deep squad with very little of any drop off. Take Zach out and TKR steps in and own them paint. Take Gillis out and Furst steps in and doesn’t miss a beat while adding to our size advantage. I do seeing us playing 8 however as Jenkins appears to be the only point guard we can put out there with Smith out of the game. All the same, Purdue has quality depth at all five positions. Add in a National player of the year and two hit Frosh and this team will continue to be a tough out for any team in the league.

This is about the time that we have to be realistic about wins and losses the rest of the way (after Thursday). All 3 of these games could go either way. We've had extremely close games with all 3 of them in recent years. Several last second shots involved.

One game at a time, keep improving as the season goes on. The fear is that maybe we peaked in Portland. We need balance, and a consistent go-to player not named Edey. Is that Loyer? TKR? Newman?

We know this team will out-hustle the opponent and play solid defense. Can they consistently produce from the outside and maybe even get some fast break points every now and then?

Rutgers - the shooting kinks are fixed and we get in a groove and maintain a double digit lead most the game. Late 2nd Rutgers claws it back to 10-11 but someone fouls out for them and that leads to a 5-6 point swing.

OSU - they start slow and we hang onto a slight lead heading into half. This goes back and forth and comes down to one of us hitting our free throws.

PSU - we are tired and PSU comes out hot from 3. Their small lineup disrupts our flow and it takes Painter until the under 8 to figure it out. We chip away at their lead but just can’t overcome and drop our first game and our #1 ranking.

Hope I’m wrong and we win all three.

Reactions: mathboy
1. Rutgers at home: Tough defense with a big who has given Edey troubles in the past.
These guys like to play bully ball and IMO the job they did against IU has people more worried than need be for Purdue. This Purdue team isn’t soft and I think they will simply punch back when they get hit. Edey has improved in so many areas that it’s hard to not think Edey comes out on top going against Omoruyi.
Keys to the game will be to protect the ball, keep it moving and to attack the scrambling defense. Good, deep touches for Z and an increasing in 3% will go a long way to securing a home win.

2. OSU on the road: Solid team with an undersized Key in the paint.
I see this as a big win for this team. I think the home court at OSU is minimal at best. I also see a chance for the Boilers to pick up a good road win as well as regaining a winning margin against all B10 teams. (Not sure about the newest teams??)
Keys to the game will be using our size advantage and feeding the ball inside early and often. Protect the 3 point line from guys like Sueing and rebounding at our normal rate.

3. PSU at neutral site: Hot shooting team with insider knowledge on what Purdue wants to run on offense.
This game worries me the most out of the three. Penn St is shooting lights out from 3 and from several different guys. They don’t have a ton of size however and will play four out against us. Edey should have another big game here and probably half of it from the line. Guards and wings need to know who are the shooters and make them out the ball on the floor.
Keys to this game would be 3 point defense along with using our size as an advantage. We are going to need to really shoot well in this game and to possibly play some small ball. Luckily this team has played some small ball this year and it appears we have the players to be able to pull it off if needed. I still see this game as a win.

Honestly, I am more confident at winning all three if you look at them as one game at a time than I am as a group. Each team will provide a tough matchup such as good shooters, bully type players or veteran squad but, Purdue will have advantages of its own in each game and those advantages all start with Zach Edey. Zach is just at another level than any other player so far this season. His hands are stronger, his lives are more deliberate and his conditioning is off the charts. We also have two of the best freshman in the league in Smith and Loyer. For me however, our strength as a team is our quality depth. I look for us to tighten the rotation a bit going into league play. Yet, I see a 7 deep squad with very little of any drop off. Take Zach out and TKR steps in and own them paint. Take Gillis out and Furst steps in and doesn’t miss a beat while adding to our size advantage. I do seeing us playing 8 however as Jenkins appears to be the only point guard we can put out there with Smith out of the game. All the same, Purdue has quality depth at all five positions. Add in a National player of the year and two hit Frosh and this team will continue to be a tough out for any team in the league.
I agree with "I am more confident at winning all three if you look at them as one game at a time". With the strength of the BT this year, that is what every team is going to have to do to be successful, one game at a time. If you look ahead on the schedule, and overlook your current opponent, this is probably not going to turn out the way we want it to turn out.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Are you forgetting Newman? 9 deep if you are including Jenkins. Waddell will be odd man out this year
Was going to post the same. Unless you want Smith playing 35+ mpg there’s no way this team goes to less than a nine man rotation.

Of the 3 I think OSU has the most talent and if they play to their ceiling it will be the toughest of the 3. The good thing is they are a patchwork of youth and transfers that haven't really meshed yet. Absolutely no answer for Edey either.

Rutgers is tough, but Purdue should win at Mackey.

I actually think this Purdue team is made different, and will actually play one of their BEST games of the year in an environment like the Palestra. Could be a game where you the home team is overhyped and the No 1 team comes in and rolls by 10-20 most of the game.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Because of our front line, we will be in almost every game. If we are hitting our 3's, we can blow out any team. The concern is that we go cold from 3 and the other guys get hot. Our front line 2's will get outrun by their hot shooting 3's. That is the way to beat us.

:cool:

Reactions: rjmpu82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT