ADVERTISEMENT

Time to move on

HUD628

Senior
Apr 11, 2007
I’ve generally been a fan of Brohm but that is over as of today. Today’s game should be to Brohm what that Minnesota game was to Hope.

It’s all too much to ignore. Losing games early for the dumbest reasons to now just being completely humiliated twice, this one coming off a bye. He’s taken this team from promising to just flat out terrible.

It’s not even just his coaching either. He obviously can’t recruit either. The players are bad and they don’t seem to care. All on Brohm.

I had to laugh on the 2nd play of the 3rd quarter. They have that stopped at the Los but you have a 7th year LB out there who looks like he’s fixing the game he’s so laughably bad. arguably the most pathetic play I have ever seen by a LB.

So what are the locker room rumors that I saw referenced in the game thread? Feels like there has to be something behind closed doors.

I’ve generally been a fan of Brohm but that is over as of today. Today’s game should be to Brohm what that Minnesota game was to Hope.

It’s all too much to ignore. Losing games early for the dumbest reasons to now just being completely humiliated twice, this one coming off a bye. He’s taken this team from promising to just flat out terrible.

It’s not even just his coaching either. He obviously can’t recruit either. The players are bad and they don’t seem to care. All on Brohm.

I had to laugh on the 2nd play of the 3rd quarter. They have that stopped at the Los but you have a 7th year LB out there who looks like he’s fixing the game he’s so laughably bad. arguably the most pathetic play I have ever seen by a LB.

So what are the locker room rumors that I saw referenced in the game thread? Feels like there has to be something behind closed doors.
the lack of rectuiting LB's have been a problem for awhile. How you can't any speedy guys w/ the type of O we got is a head scratcher too.

You can’t fire him in a bowl season coming off a 9 win season. But the shine has come off. If a school like Louisville wants to fork over the buyout, I’m not losing sleep.
This team is completely broken and I am not convinced there will be a bowl. I know they won’t fire him but they probably should. This has the look of a disaster moving forward

Reactions: purduepat1969
the lack of rectuiting LB's have been a problem for awhile. How you can't any speedy guys w/ the type of O we got is a head scratcher too.
The WRs are a head scratcher for sure. I thought we’d be totally fine there coming into the season and that’s with no expectation on Jones. I’m still not completely sure of those guys are all really bad or if AOC is making them look much worse than they are.

The WRs are a head scratcher for sure. I thought we’d be totally fine there coming into the season and that’s with no expectation on Jones. I’m still not completely sure of those guys are all really bad or if AOC is making them look much worse than they are.
almost can't wait for next year to see a different QB that's not locked in on one guy. We do well w/ slants and crossing routes but see too many low % go routes. Also Payne had only 2 catches today. Don't know why Alaimo wasn't given the 4th quarter.

maybe we should follow the UW and Iowa philosophy of placing our recruiting priorities on offensive linemen rather than at skill positions. maybe we should place some emphasis on actually developing our players like iowa and uw do. maybe we should stop predicting our team's success based on inaccurate recruiting class rankings. maybe we should stop blaming hazell for our current failures. maybe we need to stop recruiting so many players at the same position. we always talk about lack ofdepth, yet we have the same amount of players other teams do. why don't we have depth? we redshirt too many players because they were not ready to play when they arrived. and after a year of redshirting, very few of them have really improved, and some have regressed. it's all about development. our best players were great before they arrived and didn't redshirt or need development. how much coaching development did GK, Moore and bell actually receive from our coaches? and how much better could they have been if they went elsewhere?

i believe the key to success at Purdue is player development. Unfortunately, i have not seen very much of it. and i know what people say about redshirting. the problem is at other schools when a player redshirts, they also learn and develop. what do our players do besides hit the weight room and gain weight? I just don't see any benefit or improvement or development taking place.

red shirting has a purpose. I just don't believe Purdue's athletes are benefiting from being red shirted. i see very little development . it's as if the only real difference is they are a year older.

Reactions: Fugs

I will agree with Devin Gardner.....Purdue needs more speed at wide-out.....or at least on the field if it's on the roster.

I think Brohm is a good coach, but our talent level is pretty bad and it's starting to show. AOC isn't terrible, but it's obvious guys like Bell and Wright made him look way better than he actually is. No difference makers on either side, and team speed as a whole is lacking. Going to have to start forking out some nil money to get some better players.

I think Brohm is a good coach, but our talent level is pretty bad and it's starting to show. AOC isn't terrible, but it's obvious guys like Bell and Wright made him look way better than he actually is. No difference makers on either side, and team speed as a whole is lacking. Going to have to start forking out some nil money to get some better players.
great post

Reactions: Boiler8285
I will agree with Devin Gardner.....Purdue needs more speed at wide-out.....or at least on the field if it's on the roster.
and in the secondary and at LB and RB. Few if any big play makers on either side of the ball. We need young coaches that can hit the recruiting hard instead of a staff of old washed up journeymen. What does our offensive coordinator actually do?

I don’t know. How many of our current wideouts have you seen turn on the jets and torch a defense?
Charlie Jones this year...188 yards and a TD at Syracuse...132 yards 2 TDs vs Nebraska.

If you're looking for David Bell torchings, you're not gonna find them this year. But remind me. How fast is David Bell? Oh that's right, he ran a 4.65 40 at the combine.

Speed is not the issue. Bell just covered up a lot of AOCs deficiencies...

Reactions: drewjin
Chuck didn’t leave to play with a contender, he left for the stats. As a hawk fan I’m happy for him but he knew he would be playing in front of 30k instead of 70k by leaving for a pretender of a team
Speaking of pretender. That was Iowa last year when you were ranked #2 going into our game. Ross-Ade was a sell out again at 61k plus today.

Chuck didn’t leave to play with a contender, he left for the stats. As a hawk fan I’m happy for him but he knew he would be playing in front of 30k instead of 70k by leaving for a pretender of a team
Congrats on the win and all.
But what the hell is Iowa competing for this year?
And attendance, sell out, 61,320. Try not to make yourself look stupid.

Charlie Jones this year...188 yards and a TD at Syracuse...132 yards 2 TDs vs Nebraska.

If you're looking for David Bell torchings, you're not gonna find them this year. But remind me. How fast is David Bell? Oh that's right, he ran a 4.65 40 at the combine.

Bell had Milton Wright on the other side of the field. Jones has Sheffield..

Reactions: Bippus33

Charlie would be a nice #2 or 3 option. But he's clearly a few steps down in talent from guys like Moore and bell. Doesn't have the blazing speed and elusive ability of Moore, or the route running and sticky hands of bell. Those guys were true difference makers. Jones is a nice, steady player who is not a #1 guy on any team that's wants a truly explosive offense.

Reactions: LGEND24
Speaking of pretender. That was Iowa last year when you were ranked #2 going into our game. Ross-Ade was a sell out again at 61k plus today.
Truth.
I thought JB abandoned the running game oddly at times today. I don’t watch Purdue much but based upon Iowa games I’d think they would be contending consistently. The last two games are a real head scratcher to me.

Charlie would be a nice #2 or 3 option. But he's clearly a few steps down in talent from guys like Moore and bell. Doesn't have the blazing speed and elusive ability of Moore, or the route running and sticky hands of bell. Those guys were true difference makers. Jones is a nice, steady player who is not a #1 guy on any team that's wants a truly explosive offense.
Yet he's #8 in receiving yards in college football this season, well ahead of anyone else in the B1G.

And with 9 TDs, he's tied for fourth in receiving touchdowns.

But keep talking out of your ass if you enjoy it...

Brohm, in my opinion, should never have been hired. His tenure has not produced anything close to what he's being paid. It's time to relieve him of his duties, regardless of the asinine buyout.

The Iowa and Wiscy games leads me to two observations.
1. This team has a real lack of depth. It shows up with injuries and it shows up when you have to trot out the same guys who are not performing every week because you trust the back-up even less. Other than the defensive line we have no real depth. It's like we have 22-30 players, period. We do not seem to be developing players and seem to have a pretty high miss rate on recruits judging by how few players seem to ever see the field.

2. I do not see any type of "program" building. It's like we make up a new plan every year. We have the same deficiencies year after year nor do we seem to be able to build upon our supposed strengths. I just don't see any sort of real plan or identity. I guess our plan is to miraculously have every thing sort of come together every 3-5 years. Last time we had the beginnings of a program was with Tiller, and Morgan Burke pretty much screwed that up.

I just don't see this getting better, this season or in the future. It's pretty depressing.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin and Roeder
Brohm, in my opinion, should never have been hired. His tenure has not produced anything close to what he's being paid. It's time to relieve him of his duties, regardless of the asinine buyout.
Who was your "better choice" and why? After going 9-39 during the Hazell era after 22-27 under Danny Hope coaches weren't exactly falling over themselves to come to Purdue.

Yet he's #8 in receiving yards in college football this season, well ahead of anyone else in the B1G.

And with 9 TDs, he's tied for fourth in receiving touchdowns.

But keep talking out of your ass if you enjoy it...
Probably wouldn’t even start for osu. He's the best receiver in a Brohm offense that gets the lead receiver an insane amount of targets, so obviously he'll put up big numbers. He won't be drafted and isn't near the talent level of past receivers. You wouldn't recognize talent if it smacked you in the face.

Reactions: LGEND24
I'm not an NFL GM, but unless Charlie Jones runs like a 4.65, he seems to be at least a mid round pick.

4.6 40 according to this website, which seems about right. I'm not saying he doesn't have talent, he does. But a big part of his stats are being a product of brohms system. He's a good college receiver, but nothing jumps out to me that says he's an NFL level guy.

Probably wouldn’t even start for osu. He's the best receiver in a Brohm offense that gets the lead receiver an insane amount of targets, so obviously he'll put up big numbers. He won't be drafted and isn't near the talent level of past receivers. You wouldn't recognize talent if it smacked you in the face.
You're probably one that said Bell wouldn't get drafted because of his speed...

How do all these WR recruits get 4 stars if they don’t have speed?
That's easy. GBI made them 4 stars. GBI was just formed to sugar coat Purdue sports, and they NEVER told the truth. Just fake news.

Do you always make up random stuff and apply it to posters here who never said those things?
So let's go back to your original response. Let's say Purdue has Egbuka from OSU playing in place of Charlie Jones. What would Egbuka do that Charlie hasn't that would help this team? Does he get more TDs than Charlie? More yards? More receptions? Please elaborate since I can't recognize talent.

And a receiver with 1,000+ yards with sub 4.40 speed. Yeah, no way an NFL team will look at that. What a f'ing moron.

"Probably wouldn’t even start for osu. He's the best receiver in a Brohm offense that gets the lead receiver an insane amount of targets, so obviously he'll put up big numbers. He won't be drafted and isn't near the talent level of past receivers. You wouldn't recognize talent if it smacked you in the face."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1
We will know more next spring......
dunno.gif

I could see CJ as a value pick 5th-7th rounder. Very good hands and route runner, decent enough straight-on speed and good awareness....hard to predict NFL GM's these days. I could certainly see him go undrafted as well. JMHO

Regardless, I've enjoyed seeing him play for Purdue this year.....don't think he would have had this kind of exposure if he remained with the Hawkeyes. It also would have been interesting to see him with Bell last year....oh well.

This team is completely broken and I am not convinced there will be a bowl. I know they won’t fire him but they probably should. This has the look of a disaster moving forward
Y'all have 5 wins and still play Indiana. Trust me, you'll be going bowling. I think Tom Allen believes if we keep losing we can draft CJ Stroud and the rest of Ohio State... No one wants to tell him that's not how it works.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT