ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from a lifelong Die hard :(

Jan 4, 2007
Purdue alumnus and life long fan here. Have followed Purdue msg boards for years but rarely posted a msg. However after this loss, just felt I had to speak my mind and get things off my chest just for catharsis so here goes…

Realistically, we all know Painter will not be fired, at least not in the near future- esp not after winning the league, the BTT, and being #1 for multiple weeks with a team picked to be a conference middling. Losing to double digit seeds in multiple years with different teams would indicate the constant and issue is with the coach. So if things have to change but we keep the same coach, that means the coach has to change some of his philosophy….so what specifically does he have to change? Well, probably no simple answers otherwise he would have done it already. However here are just some thoughts which have been mentioned by others already:

Need to stop offense philosophy centered around the big man. We know basketball today is all about guard play. Therefore, can still recruit bigs but athletic 6’9-11” big guys who can jump, rebound, and rim protect. Purdue mostly needs to recruit athletic alpha guards who have handles, can penetrate, and create their own shots. It has been hard for Purdue to recruit such since its offense has been big man centric, but if Painter is willing to change to a guard centric offense, I suspect he’ll be able attract some good options.

Opponents know exactly what Purdue is going to do. Play man on man D and get it inside to the big man on O. Period. Makes preparation for Purdue a little easier. Therefore, Painter really needs to have some flexibility and be willing to make in game adjustments. Throwing in a zone once in a while especially against a team who has weak perimeter shooters (like Purdue), press once in a while especially if you have a deep bench (like Purdue had)- learning how to play zone and press means you can practice how to play against them as well (which Purdue obviously needed).

Anyway, I don’t think Purdue needs to tear everything down and start from scratch with a new coach. We all know that’s not going happen anytime soon anyway. Hopefully Painter can do some self reflection and have some sort of epiphany like he did after 2012-14. I know he is known to be stubborn/rigid but he has shown the ability to change before (after 2014)and hopefully can do so again. I know people say he will never be able to get Purdue to the Final 4 let alone a Nat Champ. However, despite many years of continual disappointments (since Keady- that 88 loss to K state still haunts me) which goes with being a Purdue die hard….I somehow still have that glimmer of hope that Painter still can be the guy- he has proven that he can evaluate talent, develop players, overachieve with no 5 stars and win conference titles despite that….and dare I say, when it comes to March, he has made it to 6 sweet 16s and 1 fluke play away from a final 4. So, I do feel that if he is willing to change his philosophy some (and he has shown he can coach and succeed with a guard centric team- ie Edward/Cline that again was 1 play from a final 4) and show a little flexibility,
the F4 (and dare I say the NC) is not out of the realm of possibilities. However, I’ll just settle for a F4 for now.

Lastly, as much as this loss hurts us fans, I can only imagine how much worse it is for Painter, the other coaches, and the players. Hopefully this helps to motivate Painter to make such changes. Can a repeat of Virginia happen next year? As is typical of a Purdue fan, I’m pessimistic, but always can hope.

Ok, I’ve said my peace. It feels good to get that off my chest….Here’s hoping Painter can similarly get that monkey (or more like a gorilla) off his back.

Well, if this happens again next year and don’t see any signs of him trying to change things at all, then I would probably have to let him go if I was the AD. As much as I would hate to do it bc he has done some great things here and runs a program the right way.

Purdue alumnus and life long fan here. Have followed Purdue msg boards for years but rarely posted a msg. However after this loss, just felt I had to speak my mind and get things off my chest just for catharsis so here goes…

Realistically, we all know Painter will not be fired, at least not in the near future- esp not after winning the league, the BTT, and being #1 for multiple weeks with a team picked to be a conference middling. Losing to double digit seeds in multiple years with different teams would indicate the constant and issue is with the coach. So if things have to change but we keep the same coach, that means the coach has to change some of his philosophy….so what specifically does he have to change? Well, probably no simple answers otherwise he would have done it already. However here are just some thoughts which have been mentioned by others already:

Need to stop offense philosophy centered around the big man. We know basketball today is all about guard play. Therefore, can still recruit bigs but athletic 6’9-11” big guys who can jump, rebound, and rim protect. Purdue mostly needs to recruit athletic alpha guards who have handles, can penetrate, and create their own shots. It has been hard for Purdue to recruit such since its offense has been big man centric, but if Painter is willing to change to a guard centric offense, I suspect he’ll be able attract some good options.

Opponents know exactly what Purdue is going to do. Play man on man D and get it inside to the big man on O. Period. Makes preparation for Purdue a little easier. Therefore, Painter really needs to have some flexibility and be willing to make in game adjustments. Throwing in a zone once in a while especially against a team who has weak perimeter shooters (like Purdue), press once in a while especially if you have a deep bench (like Purdue had)- learning how to play zone and press means you can practice how to play against them as well (which Purdue obviously needed).

Anyway, I don’t think Purdue needs to tear everything down and start from scratch with a new coach. We all know that’s not going happen anytime soon anyway. Hopefully Painter can do some self reflection and have some sort of epiphany like he did after 2012-14. I know he is known to be stubborn/rigid but he has shown the ability to change before (after 2014)and hopefully can do so again. I know people say he will never be able to get Purdue to the Final 4 let alone a Nat Champ. However, despite many years of continual disappointments (since Keady- that 88 loss to K state still haunts me) which goes with being a Purdue die hard….I somehow still have that glimmer of hope that Painter still can be the guy- he has proven that he can evaluate talent, develop players, overachieve with no 5 stars and win conference titles despite that….and dare I say, when it comes to March, he has made it to 6 sweet 16s and 1 fluke play away from a final 4. So, I do feel that if he is willing to change his philosophy some (and he has shown he can coach and succeed with a guard centric team- ie Edward/Cline that again was 1 play from a final 4) and show a little flexibility,
the F4 (and dare I say the NC) is not out of the realm of possibilities. However, I’ll just settle for a F4 for now.

Lastly, as much as this loss hurts us fans, I can only imagine how much worse it is for Painter, the other coaches, and the players. Hopefully this helps to motivate Painter to make such changes. Can a repeat of Virginia happen next year? As is typical of a Purdue fan, I’m pessimistic, but always can hope.

Ok, I’ve said my peace. It feels good to get that off my chest….Here’s hoping Painter can similarly get that monkey (or more like a gorilla) off his back.
No changes need to be made at all, players just need to make plays. His coaching philosophy put his team in position to win every game but one, the game at Maryland. The other 5 games we lost, we were in position to win, we just didn’t execute, be it missing FTs, bad passes on the press or missing wide open 3s. Painter builds his teams around the talent he gets, it just so happens he has had luck recruiting bigs because they trust him and his coaching staff’s ability to develop them.

Watching MSU. They drive hard to the basket with their guards. Then dish it out to the corners. Now we beat them this year. But it’s called tournament basketball.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
No changes need to be made at all, players just need to make plays. His coaching philosophy put his team in position to win every game but one, the game at Maryland. The other 5 games we lost, we were in position to win, we just didn’t execute, be it missing FTs, bad passes on the press or missing wide open 3s. Painter builds his teams around the talent he gets, it just so happens he has had luck recruiting bigs because they trust him and his coaching staff’s ability to develop them.
Meanwhile, Purdue is at home, and the team they beat twice during the less important regular season, is into the Sweet 16……again.

Well, if this happens again next year and don’t see any signs of him trying to change things at all, then I would probably have to let him go if I was the AD. As much as I would hate to do it bc he has done some great things here and runs a program the right way.
So a rigged one and done tournament is more important than clean recruiting and winning with high character kids, that graduate and represent the university with class and dignity. I’m not giving up on Painter, but I am getting pretty sick of much of the entitled fanbase.

So a rigged one and done tournament is more important than clean recruiting and winning with high character kids, that graduate and represent the university with class and dignity. I’m not giving up on Painter, but I am getting pretty sick of much of the entitled fanbase.
A rigged tourney? And, its not binary where you either cheat or lose. Sounds like you're saying every NC team was a cheater. You're totally un-serious.

Last edited:
You do realize Painter has choked to a 13, 15 and 16 seeds in the tourney the last 3 years, right?

Painters teams are built to win the Big 10 rock fights because the league doesn’t value athleticism and up tempo basketball. It values slow paced, possession type games. Which is also why a B10 team hasn’t won the NC in over 20 years.

Meanwhile, Purdue is at home, and the team they beat twice during the less important regular season, is into the Sweet 16……again.
Is your life affected by that? I’ve heard counseling can help, but have never needed it myself, as I don’t let things like this bother me. More important things in life.

You mean players that don’t get DUIs or caught with weed?

How is the tourney rigged?

Is your life affected by that? I’ve heard counseling can help, but have never needed it myself, as I don’t let things like this bother me. More important things in life.
Yet, here you are chastising people who expect more for our investment.

Yeah, let's petition to take down the scoreboards. Just play pickup ball and everyone gets a ribbon after the game. No more winners or losers. That way you feel better.

As I watch MSU guards dominate Marq. ....I can't agree with you and others more. Got to upgrade in a major way at the guards and get guys like LewJack, Moore, Grant, Kramer, Ivey, Cline and Edwards there. And have more than one which was one of the the problems with Ivey.

Colvin hopefully is a step in the right direction to add athleticism to the 2. Assuming he can D it up, (sometimes that is a big ask for a frosh) if he doesn't start from day 1 after seeing how Loyer ended the year....I won't know what to say.

Hopefully, Morton (& maybe Loyer) becomes a great bench player as the season is reviewed. I know a lot of people like his play. I did like his play early, but we are far from that play level now with him.....way, way more valleys than hills imo.

But the 1, as good as Smith is, needs a guy to take minutes..... because without Edey this team might get up & down the court more. Maybe Loyer backs up both the 1&2 if he tightens handle and gains strength?? Anyway an athletic combo or pt guard transfer would be welcomed.

Last edited:
When Purdue lays an egg it’s rigged. Please.

Painter is not going to change. The word Zone is not in his vocabulary. The last time I checked zone defense was a legitimate defense, and several teams use it quite effectively from time to time. Keady disciples do not use zone and never will.

Again, as I said in another post, too many Purdue fans have been happy with the BT Championship banners. I said it before, and I will say it here, I would rather have NCAA Tournament success than regular season success. Times have changed to where that is how coaches are judged on now more than ever.

That might not be right, because Painter is a good coach, but it was always the knock on Keady of not getting us to the FF, and it will be the shortcoming of Painter too, if he cannot translate his resume with a FF or better yet, a National Championship. Sorry, that is the way it is.

Don’t be a d!ck. No need to get personal.
So you don’t want me to get personal on here, but you’re fine with a bunch of dbag keyboard warriors getting personal with with Painter wanting him fired because he didn’t meet their entitlement complex expectations.

• Haha
Reactions: clankhan
I feel like this year was a perfect storm for this "historic" upset to happen.
1. Everyone always says preseason rankings don't mean squat. Purdue shot up the rankings because they beat a lot of teams early on that were highly ranked based on traditional success. Several of those teams were fresh off of seismic changes that needed adapting to.
2. Purdue maxed out. Probably better than most predicted, but not as good as those wins made it seem.
3. As those teams got things sorted out, those wins looked better and better for Purdue.
4. Throw in some more losses at the top, a wild Big Ten season, and the worst single game I've maybe ever seen Purdue play, and we got what we got.

I will still throw in some Zach Edey love, because what he did this season is nothing short of incredible. We are still a young team with tremendous upside that exceeded initial expectations. I just feel so conflicted, because we could win every game, the B1G, and the BTT next year...but, rightfully, no one will buy into the hype. It feels like nothing short of a national championship will make it go away.

This all sounded way more organized and ramble-y in my head...

Rigged. Wow. That's the most copium I've ever seen on here. Kudos.

I feel like this year was a perfect storm for this "historic" upset to happen.
1. Everyone always says preseason rankings don't mean squat. Purdue shot up the rankings because they beat a lot of teams early on that were highly ranked based on traditional success. Several of those teams were fresh off of seismic changes that needed adapting to.
2. Purdue maxed out. Probably better than most predicted, but not as good as those wins made it seem.
3. As those teams got things sorted out, those wins looked better and better for Purdue.
4. Throw in some more losses at the top, a wild Big Ten season, and the worst single game I've maybe ever seen Purdue play, and we got what we got.

I will still throw in some Zach Edey love, because what he did this season is nothing short of incredible. We are still a young team with tremendous upside that exceeded initial expectations. I just feel so conflicted, because we could win every game, the B1G, and the BTT next year...but, rightfully, no one will buy into the hype. It feels like nothing short of a national championship will make it go away.

This all sounded way more organized and ramble-y in my head...

If Edey leaves, and the right personell aren't added to help at guard, we might not have to worry about an early NCAAT exit next year. Might not be in it.

So you build your team around perimeter shooting when you have a team of lousy shooters. That is either amazingly stubborn or really stupid. Shutdown by one of the worst defenses in D1 and damn lucky the Big 10 sucked this year.

Painter is not going to change. The word Zone is not in his vocabulary. The last time I checked zone defense was a legitimate defense, and several teams use it quite effectively from time to time. Keady disciples do not use zone and never will.

Again, as I said in another post, too many Purdue fans have been happy with the BT Championship banners. I said it before, and I will say it here, I would rather have NCAA Tournament success than regular season success. Times have changed to where that is how coaches are judged on now more than ever.

That might not be right, because Painter is a good coach, but it was always the knock on Keady of not getting us to the FF, and it will be the shortcoming of Painter too, if he cannot translate his resume with a FF or better yet, a National Championship. Sorry, that is the way it is.
Just curious and I can't recall if a Keady/Painter assistant ever made it to the FF? The Keady tree roots seem to run deep but don't bear much fruit.

Rigged. Wow. That's the most copium I've ever seen on here. Kudos.
Do you think an organization that allows complete dirt all cheaters like, Samsung, Pitino, Self and Miller at Xavier, to continue coaching is above it? The tournament is only as popular as it is because of the many upsets that happen, most of which would never happen during the regular season, even on a neutral court. If the best teams won every year, the common fan would lose interest. The NCAA is a completely corrupt organization, who acts like it cares about the education of student athletes, when it really only cares about money and big upsets bring in more money. It’s an over bloated bureaucracy and 100% of those are corrupt.

I don't think or even want Painter to be fired. He does need to do some serious self reflection about his approach to the game. I am not opposed to playing thru a big post player as long as you have shooters to keep things honest. We did not have shooters the last 6 weeks of the season. I blame some of that on youth. I honestly feel Loyer was just worn down, no legs thus no shot. He had several great games early and mid year. Smith in my mind has a Kramer mentality. He is a competitor and a bulldog. He too is young. Painter may have gotten to a FF with a healthy Hummell and with a healthy Haas. He almost made it Carsen except for freak play. I am in no way apologizing for Painter. He has some adjustments to make.

Do you think an organization that allows complete dirt all cheaters like, Samsung, Pitino, Self and Miller at Xavier, to continue coaching is above it? The tournament is only as popular as it is because of the many upsets that happen, most of which would never happen during the regular season, even on a neutral court. If the best teams won every year, the common fan would lose interest. The NCAA is a completely corrupt organization, who acts like it cares about the education of student athletes, when it really only cares about money and big upsets bring in more money. It’s an over bloated bureaucracy and 100% of those are corrupt.
Is it rigged against Purdue in particular? Purdue, a well known school with a good history in a strong conference, finally ending its FF drought would seem to be a pretty good story line for them if they were so inclined.

Reactions: RossMackey
For someone who says they don’t let their life get affected by this stuff, you sure do post a lot.

I don't think or even want Painter to be fired. He does need to do some serious self reflection about his approach to the game. I am not opposed to playing thru a big post player as long as you have shooters to keep things honest. We did not have shooters the last 6 weeks of the season. I blame some of that on youth. I honestly feel Loyer was just worn down, no legs thus no shot. He had several great games early and mid year. Smith in my mind has a Kramer mentality. He is a competitor and a bulldog. He too is young. Painter may have gotten to a FF with a healthy Hummell and with a healthy Haas. He almost made it Carsen except for freak play. I am in no way apologizing for Painter. He has some adjustments to make.
The only thing he could have done differently would have been to sandbag during the B10 season and likely lose it. I am in the camp that the regular season is more important than the tournament, because I don’t live in the media bubble and I see things how they should be, not what a bunch of libtard media types try to tell me what they should be.

As I watch MSU guards dominate Marq. ....I can't agree with you and others more. Got to upgrade in a major way at the guards and get guys like LewJack, Moore, Grant, Kramer, Ivey, Cline and Edwards there. And have more than one which was one of the the problems with Ivey.

Colvin hopefully is a step in the right direction to add athleticism to the 2. Assuming he can D it up, (sometimes that is a big ask for a frosh) if he doesn't start from day 1 after seeing how Loyer ended the year....I won't know what to say.

Hopefully, Morton (& maybe Loyer) becomes a great bench player as the season is reviewed. I know a lot of people like his play. I did like his play early, but we are far from that play level now with him.....way, way more valleys than hills imo.

But the 1, as good as Smith is, needs a guy to take minutes..... because without Edey this team might get up & down the court more. Maybe Loyer backs up both the 1&2 if he tightens handle and gains strength?? Anyway an athletic combo or pt guard transfer would be welcomed.
How about the Kansas State guards? They looked pretty good too.

For someone who says they don’t let their life get affected by this stuff, you sure do post a lot.
I stayed away for a couple of days hoping the keyboard warriors would be done by now, guess I should have waited for a week. What I see is not passionate fans, I see a bunch of the entitlement clan trying to undermine a coach who they’re not qualified to judge. That’s what bothers me and yeah I am going to call it out. Good thing is the AD nor Painter gives a crap what any of us thinks.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
At the end of the day, you are what you produce and stats don't lie.
Pursue is a poor 3pt. Shooting team. Poor FT Shooting team and prone to TO's..... As a group, we lack athleticism.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT