ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from a lifelong Die hard :(

At the end of the day, you are what you produce and stats don't lie.
Pursue is a poor 3pt. Shooting team. Poor FT Shooting team and prone to TO's..... As a group, we lack athleticism.....
This is 100% wrong. We were an average 3 pt shooting team, mostly because it fell off later in the season, a pretty good ft shooting team and only prone to TOs on the press later in the season. We were one of the best rebounding teams in the nation which typically requires a pretty decent level of athleticism, since blocking out is a lost art anymore.

Do you think an organization that allows complete dirt all cheaters like, Samsung, Pitino, Self and Miller at Xavier, to continue coaching is above it? The tournament is only as popular as it is because of the many upsets that happen, most of which would never happen during the regular season, even on a neutral court. If the best teams won every year, the common fan would lose interest. The NCAA is a completely corrupt organization, who acts like it cares about the education of student athletes, when it really only cares about money and big upsets bring in more money. It’s an over bloated bureaucracy and 100% of those are corrupt.
So, how’s it rigged? Did the reds give FDU the game?

This is 100% wrong. We were an average 3 pt shooting team, mostly because it fell off later in the season, a pretty good ft shooting team and only prone to TOs on the press later in the season. We were one of the best rebounding teams in the nation which typically requires a pretty decent level of athleticism, since blocking out is a lost art anymore.
I love your blind loyalty, but you seriously lack any objectivity.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
You do realize Painter has choked to a 13, 15 and 16 seeds in the tourney the last 3 years, right?

Painters teams are built to win the Big 10 rock fights because the league doesn’t value athleticism and up tempo basketball. It values slow paced, possession type games. Which is also why a B10 team hasn’t won the NC in over 20 years.
I agree with you.

However, the 2019 Cline / Edwards team won the BT rock fights

(Big Ten Championship) and played March Madness basketball that only kept

Purdue from the Final Four by 1 miracle pass from Virginia.

2010 before Hummel injury was in the same mold, too.

Painter (or whoever is Purdue's coach) needs to recruit players like the 2019

Boilers and 2010 Boilers year after year. Purdue does this, and they get a NC.

I wish Cuonzo Martin would come back because he recruited that 2010 team

which is still Painter's best (before Hummel went down).

I do wish Purdue was in a more fast paced basketball conference, too.

If UCLA can join the Big Ten, surely Purdue can change conferences. Go Boilers!

Reactions: BoilerDeac
At the end of the day, you are what you produce and stats don't lie.
Pursue is a poor 3pt. Shooting team. Poor FT Shooting team and prone to TO's..... As a group, we lack athleticism.....
Our shooting was better early season, and it will be better in the future (including Loyer), but in general I agree this applies to the team we’ve seen lately. Despite being top 5 and even despite winning games leading up to the NCAA tourney, I think all parties involved including the team knew we had some weaknesses and problems we were struggling to meaningfully address. I have never seen a 1v16 game where the 1 team was so tight and afraid early. I agree we need more athleticism; we also need more guys who are unflappably confident. I thought that was Smith, but I think some underwhelming performances planted the doubt seed in his head.

You do realize Painter has choked to a 13, 15 and 16 seeds in the tourney the last 3 years, right?

Painters teams are built to win the Big 10 rock fights because the league doesn’t value athleticism and up tempo basketball. It values slow paced, possession type games. Which is also why a B10 team hasn’t won the NC in over 20 years.
So you want Painter to build a team to lose the B1G rock fights?

Our shooting was better early season, and it will be better in the future (including Loyer), but in general I agree this applies to the team we’ve seen lately. Despite being top 5 and even despite winning games leading up to the NCAA tourney, I think all parties involved including the team knew we had some weaknesses and problems we were struggling to meaningfully address. I have never seen a 1v16 game where the 1 team was so tight and afraid early. I agree we need more athleticism; we also need more guys who are unflappably confident. I thought that was Smith, but I think some underwhelming performances planted the doubt seed in his head.
Great post. We were never a real top
10-15 team, had a couple of nice November wins over 2 talented young teams that didn’t have it all put together yet, and then benefited from an easy schedule against a relatively crappy B1G conference, as it turns out.

So you want Painter to build a team to lose the B1G rock fights?
Someone mentioned the binary thinking in another thread and here is another example. If you build a team with the talent to win in March, they will win enough rock fights to get there. See also: Izzo, Thomas. You and I may not like it, but there he is again still dancing

Reactions: Boiler8285
No changes need to be made at all, players just need to make plays. His coaching philosophy put his team in position to win every game but one, the game at Maryland. The other 5 games we lost, we were in position to win, we just didn’t execute, be it missing FTs, bad passes on the press or missing wide open 3s. Painter builds his teams around the talent he gets, it just so happens he has had luck recruiting bigs because they trust him and his coaching staff’s ability to develop them.
I don't want Painter to be fired as that would be a disaster for Purdue, but you really don't think Painter needs to evaluate what he's doing that leads to embarrassing Tourney losses? For starters, how about not adapting in game to the fact your team is bricking over 20 3's and try SOMETHING different? I don't care how open FDU was leaving the 3 point line. It was their plan because the 2nd half of the season proved we can't hit 3's. The B1G is built for slow and physical teams to succeed. That fits Painter to a tee and why he probably gets away with NEVER doing anything different, ie., motion offense and man to man half court D EVERYTIME down the court. As we're painfully seeing, that crap doesn't work in the Tourney. He literally just got schooled by a FIRST TIME D1 coach who made the mistake of publically saying what he knew was true. Collapse on Edey, let us brick 3's all game, and FDU had a great chance of winning.

It's not a coincidence the 1 time Painter was able to win a Sweet 16 game and was a fluke play away from the Final Four he had Guards that could push the tempo, create their own shot, and bury 3's.

Someone mentioned the binary thinking in another thread and here is another example. If you build a team with the talent to win in March, they will win enough rock fights to get there. See also: Izzo, Thomas. You and I may not like it, but there he is again still dancing
Yeah, Painter needs some NIL money to go buy a couple studs in the portal. We all know this.

Read Moneyball. We’re the A’s, not the Yankees…

Reactions: Bippus33
Cheaters win. Self had just got caught cheating, red handed, and then is up on the stage with that NCAA quizling Emmert giving him the trophy a few months later.
Of course it's possible to cheat and get away with it. But, to call the tourney rigged is silly. Or, are you trying to convince me that cheaters win the title every year? Or, are you dragging out the exception to claim it's the rule?

Reactions: clankhan
Of course it's possible to cheat and get away with it. But, to call the tourney rigged is silly. Or, are you trying to convince me that cheaters win the title every year? Or, are you dragging out the exception to claim it's the rule?
You think Scott Drew is clean?

Tourney is not rigged.

But NCAA has no desire to punish any brand name schools, see Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc etc.

But hey they took a principled stand against the Miami women’s team !!!

Reactions: Boiler8285
You think Scott Drew is clean?

Tourney is not rigged.

But NCAA has no desire to punish any brand name schools, see Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc etc.

But hey they took a principled stand against the Miami women’s team !!!
I was the one who used rigged, but what I meant by it is that it is setup to create upsets. I have officiated enough games in my life to know that while it may not be purposeful, officials get caught up in the moment when an upset is possible and subconsciously try to make sure they don't interfere with it. Take the two poor calls/no call at the end of the game. 1st one, the official is looking directly at the play and the ball obviously went out on the FDU player, but he didn't even hesitate to call it out on us. Then it took them ten minutes to change the call, when Stevie Wonder could have looked at the replays and figured it out in 30 seconds. They were trying to figure out a way not to change it. Then the no call when the defender blew right through an absolutely stationary Loyer, was ever more egregious and it was right out in the open for all to see.(And dumbass Steratore said good no call) I don't believe in coincidences and those were just two of many questionable calls and no calls. They only called 3 fouls on FDU in the last 10-11 minutes and I went back and watch the replay(painful) of the last 11 minutes and they missed at least 10 fouls they committed, several against Edey, of course. We didn't get any close call except the one they eventually changed and it wasn't close.

I stayed away for a couple of days hoping the keyboard warriors would be done by now, guess I should have waited for a week. What I see is not passionate fans, I see a bunch of the entitlement clan trying to undermine a coach who they’re not qualified to judge. That’s what bothers me and yeah I am going to call it out. Good thing is the AD nor Painter gives a crap what any of us thinks.
I can respect that opinion. Yes, u want the coach to run a clean program and develop players to be good players and people and be exemplary representatives of Purdue. That is important which I think Painter does better than most programs. However with that being said, the bottom line is the coach has to win games and unfortunately with college basketball, like it or not what most people care about and remember is what u do in the tournament. Fans and boosters are the ones that pay the tickets, buy the merchandise, and give donations that help support the program. Thus, when he is paid over $3 million a year, I think we are “entitled “ to voice our displeasure if we feel he is the cause of multiple years of tournament underperformance (and unfortunately national embarrassment recently). Again, I personally don’t want him fired…..just hoping he sees that what he has been doing is not working in March and is willing to consider some philosophical changes.

No changes need to be made at all, players just need to make plays. His coaching philosophy put his team in position to win every game but one, the game at Maryland. The other 5 games we lost, we were in position to win, we just didn’t execute, be it missing FTs, bad passes on the press or missing wide open 3s. Painter builds his teams around the talent he gets, it just so happens he has had luck recruiting bigs because they trust him and his coaching staff’s ability to develop them.
Matt you have other things to be doing right now...

• Haha
Reactions: clankhan
Great post. We were never a real top
10-15 team, had a couple of nice November wins over 2 talented young teams that didn’t have it all put together yet, and then benefited from an easy schedule against a relatively crappy B1G conference, as it turns out.
I was at the game when we played Davidson in Indy early in the year and that game concerned me..... It seemed like our opponents scemes and game plans surged ahead of the growth rate of our young guards....
With that, why didn't Painter lean on Jenkins more.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT