ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee -4.5

GTFOH. Notre Dame has a “really good” offense. So does Michigan State. The score vs OSU was 59-31 and O’Connell had 423 passing yards (Purdue had like 480 yards total offense.). Offense vs OSU wasn’t the issue. It was defense. OSU is a significantly better team than Tennessee overall, despite the Michigan loss.
Sounds like you agree with my statement

Not concerned about the optics.
Apparently not based on coming over to another team's board waxing poetic about Tennessee and the SEC. The same Tennessee that hasn't been relevant in the SEC since, well, forever. At the same time talking about how Mizzou isn't really an SEC program. It's not just hypocritical. It's f'ing hilarious...

Reactions: pboiler18
Apparently not based on coming over to another team's board waxing poetic about Tennessee and the SEC. The same Tennessee that hasn't been relevant in the SEC since, well, forever. At the same time talking about how Mizzou isn't really an SEC program. It's not just hypocritical. It's f'ing hilarious...

Mizzou sucks at everything. Tennessee hasn’t been great at football but we did have a couple underachieving 9 win seasons under Butch. Our baseball team just made the CWS and our basketball team has made the Sweet 16 five times in the last 15 years.

That’s not “waxing poetically,” you’re just assuming I’m a stereotypically disillusioned SEC fan and you’re reading things that aren’t there.

I really hope you bet your retirement on such a sure thing. If not you might be the dumbest person alive. Who wouldn’t make free money on such a sure thing?!

I don’t gamble. But in all seriousness, on one side you have a “little brother” in-state school who has enjoyed a lot of success with an opportunity to knock off a name brand state school that has completely imploded and without a coach… not exactly rocket science.

Sorry my posts have plenty of supporting evidence that can be expounded upon. I’ll try to be more vague and shallow with my reasoning next time.
What exactly are you looking for in this line of discussion? You have an agenda - just spit it out. Do you want Purdue fans, on their own board, to bow down at the feet of the mighty Volunteers and say the Boilermakers have no chance? You’re arguing about mediocre SEC teams - as if they’re relevant to the Purdue vs Tennessee match-up. Individual games and results do not tell you much about our match-up. You may draw conclusions about the match-up based on full-season data, but week-to-week performance can vary wildly depending on injuries, issues within programs, mindset of teams based on previous weeks….A bunch of Vols fans say we played Alabama tough for three quarters - you still lost by 28 - the same margin we lost to OSU by at their place. We also beat #2 Iowa at Iowa and #3 Michigan State. Tennessee doesn’t have any wins close to being that good.

So what exactly is your angle here? You’ve been all over the place so far.

What exactly are you looking for in this line of discussion? You have an agenda - just spit it out. Do you want Purdue fans, on their own board, to bow down at the feet of the mighty Volunteers and say the Boilermakers have no chance? You’re arguing about mediocre SEC teams - as if they’re relevant to the Purdue vs Tennessee match-up. Individual games and results do not tell you much about our match-up. You may draw conclusions about the match-up based on full-season data, but week-to-week performance can vary wildly depending on injuries, issues within programs, mindset of teams based on previous weeks….A bunch of Vols fans say we played Alabama tough for three quarters - you still lost by 28 - the same margin we lost to OSU by at their place. We also beat #2 Iowa at Iowa and #3 Michigan State. Tennessee doesn’t have any wins close to being that good.

Iowa and Michigan St were both frauds. Neither deserved being anywhere close to the top 10.

I’m regards to to TN/Bama, Ohio St/Purdue… to me the big difference there is TN/Bama was a legit ball game in the fourth quarter. A couple turnovers and going for it in our own territory is what led to Bama blowing the game wide open late.

Purdue/Ohio St was the exact opposite of that.

Frankly, I don’t make much of either, any comments I made on those games were in response to other posters.

As far as “my angle” is concerned, I don’t have one. I find it amusing that most retorts are filled with conjecture about the SEC being superior and me somehow being a conference pride homer. Im well aware of where Tennessee is on the National landscape and haven’t elevated them in any in-factual way. There’s a little-brother mentality that permeates our most recent B1G opponents (Iowa, NW, Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue).

Iowa and Michigan St were both frauds. Neither deserved being anywhere close to the top 10.

I’m regards to to TN/Bama, Ohio St/Purdue… to me the big difference there is TN/Bama was a legit ball game in the fourth quarter. A couple turnovers and going for it in our own territory is what led to Bama blowing the game wide open late.

Frankly, I don’t make much of either, any comments I made on those games were in response to other posters.

As far as “my angle” is concerned, I don’t have one. I find it amusing that most retorts are filled with conjecture about the SEC being superior and me somehow being a conference pride homer. Im well aware of where Tennessee is on the National landscape and haven’t elevated them in any in-factual way. There’s a little-brother mentality that permeates our most recent B1G opponents (Iowa, NW, Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue).
Frauds? Last time I looked, Mich St was ranked in the top 10 all season. And Iowa in the top 15. Tennessee has ZERO wins against anyone in the top 15.

And with regard to the OSU game, a few Purdue players made critical mistakes in the first several minutes of the game. Otherwise it's a significantly closer game. In the end Purdue and Tennessee both lost the games to OSU and Bama, so not sure how any moral victories there are really relevant?...

Reactions: HarrysPostGame13

why does this dude remind me of the IU fans who post here and are so desperate for validation?

Next of kin?

Frauds? Last time I looked, Mich St was ranked in the top 10 all season. And Iowa in the top 15. Tennessee has ZERO wins against anyone in the top 15.

And with regard to the OSU game, a few Purdue players made critical mistakes in the first several minutes of the game. Otherwise it's a significantly closer game. In the end Purdue and Tennessee both lost the games to OSU and Bama, so not sure how any moral victories there are really relevant?...

I don’t care what their ranking says, neither team belongs in that tier.

Iowa has ZERO offense and Mich St’s defense is pretty bad.

Them not being complete teams has nothing to do with Tennessee.

Sorry my posts have plenty of supporting evidence that can be expounded upon. I’ll try to be more vague and shallow with my reasoning next time.
Yet here you are on Christmas defending your nonsense. I mean we get it, you're a UT fan so our expectations of you understanding what the difference between facts and hyperbole are already quite low, but at the moment you're making even IU fans look like Mensa members.

Reactions: Purdue85

Go easy on him. He's a UT fan so has trouble with simple math let alone anything factual.

Yet here you are on Christmas defending your nonsense. I mean we get it, you're a UT fan so our expectations of you understanding what the difference between facts and hyperbole are already quite low, but at the moment you're making even IU fans look like Mensa members.

Go easy on him. He's a UT fan so has trouble with simple math let alone anything factual.

Sagarin Power Rating (not to be confused with ranking) has Michigan St 26th and Iowa 20th.

Power ratings are a lot more useful because it ignores your record, because as previously discussed, records lie a lot in college football.

Not all of us scoreboard watch. I see Purdue having a problem with Tennessee’s offense. Ohio State was the only real good offense the boilermakers played all year, and they got completely dominated - damn near as bad as the Auburn bowl game. I just hope Purdue’s offense can perform like it did the second half of the season. With Purdue missing key receivers it’s gonna be tough. Vols 41, Boilers 31
I agree with this take. With what we will be missing, the main value of this game is likely how well it will help us prepare for next year. If I disagree with anything you said it’s more that i see us losing by 14-17 or so

Reactions: Bobtheboiler88
Sagarin Power Rating (not to be confused with ranking) has Michigan St 26th and Iowa 20th.

Power ratings are a lot more useful because it ignores your record, because as previously discussed, records lie a lot in college football.
If you want to discredit our wins against ranked teams that’s fine. I’d rather be on the side of those actual victories any day rather than saying we played Bama close for 3 quarters. This is nothing new to us. We deal with a similar fan base all the time seeking validation for stats that do not matter.

If anyone seems to have a “little-brother mentality” on here it’s you. You seem to have a large need for validation. Purdue has by far better wins this season than Tennessee does. We’ve also played a more difficult schedule overall too. Tennessee played no one close to Notre Dame or Oregon State in non-conference. We played against one of the toughest overall strength of schedules in Division 1 CFB.

Reactions: BBG
If you want to discredit our wins against ranked teams that’s fine. I’d rather be on the side of those actual victories any day rather than saying we played Bama close for 3 quarters. This is nothing new to us. We deal with a similar fan base all the time seeking validation for stats that do not matter.

I haven’t trumpeted the Bama game as any kind of moral victory. I simply replied and added some context to the game.

Iowa and Michigan St are good wins, just not top 5 wins in my opinion.

If anyone seems to have a “little-brother mentality” on here it’s you. You seem to have a large need for validation. Purdue has by far better wins this season than Tennessee does. We’ve also played a more difficult schedule overall too. Tennessee played no one close to Notre Dame or Oregon State in non-conference. We played against one of the toughest overall strength of schedules in Division 1 CFB.

Tennessee played Pitt who won the ACC and had a Heisman finalist at QB and the Belitnekof winner at WR.

We lost by a Touchdown.

Not mention 2 of the 4 CFP teams and an top ten Ole Miss.

Yes, Purdue played a solid schedule but to pretend it’s leaps and bounds above Tennessee’s is inaccurate.

Reactions: VFL1970
Tennessee played Pitt who won the ACC and had a Heisman finalist at QB and the Belitnekof winner at WR.

We lost by a Touchdown.

Not mention 2 of the 4 CFP teams and an top ten Ole Miss.

Yes, Purdue played a solid schedule but to pretend it’s leaps and bounds above Tennessee’s is inaccurate.
You lost. That is all that matters. To pretend anything else matters is inaccurate.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Only context that matters is the score and who wins. Everything else is weak spin of a moral victory. Sorry that bothers you so much.

What would Purdue’s record be with Cinci’s schedule?

Same team, better record.

Sorry this fact obliterates your argument.

What would Purdue’s record be with Cinci’s schedule?

Same team, better record.

Sorry this fact obliterates your argument.
Except that it doesn't. As I said you don't quite understand what the term "facts" means because with all that spin you're doing, UT is still only playing measly Purdue and not some big old ranked team. Sorry THAT fact obliterates your argument since the selection committee agrees with us. So sorry pumpkin.

But since we're playing without some of our best players, UT should beat us by 100 to 0 because of all your epic close losses. Anything less means you were full of it (which we already know you are) because context matters right?

Reactions: purduepat1969
Except that it doesn't. As I said you don't quite understand what the term "facts" means because with all that spin you're doing, UT is still only playing measly Purdue and not some big old ranked team. Sorry THAT fact obliterates your argument since the selection committee agrees with us. So sorry pumpkin.

But since we're playing without some of our best players, UT should beat us by 100 to 0 because of all your epic close losses. Anything less means you were full of it (which we already know you are) because context matters right?

It is a fact that if Purdue played Cinci’s schedule they would be better than 8-4… but they’re the same team.

This is what I’m saying. This is the context that matters. Records lie in college football.

I’m not using this a measuring stick for this match up, this is simply a talking point for a zoomed out view of the sport.

It is a fact that if Purdue played Cinci’s schedule they would be better than 8-4… but they’re the same team.

This is what I’m saying. This is the context that matters. Records lie in college football.

I’m not using this a measuring stick for this match up, this is simply a talking point for a zoomed out view of the sport.
If Tennessee played Purdue's schedule, they'd likely be 6-6 or 5-7. What's your point?

No, it's a theory. A talking point.

That word, "fact", it clearly does not mean what you think it means.

Purdue should win easily then. It would really be bad to lose to a team as bad as UT.
Not sure what logic you are attempting to use. I said previously in this thread I thought at full strength this would be a good game. With our two best players out it would shock me if we won.

I was not the one talking down to another program who was right behind my team in the standings ir saying a team isn’t even good enough to be in my teams conference despite the fact that they had finished ahead of my team 6 out of 10 times and was the best team in the east twice in that timeframe.

Nothing I said was about this season or this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT