ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee -4.5

Not sure what logic you are attempting to use. I said previously in this thread I thought at full strength this would be a good game. With our two best players out it would shock me if we won.

I was not the one talking down to another program who was right behind my team in the standings ir saying a team isn’t even good enough to be in my teams conference despite the fact that they had finished ahead of my team 6 out of 10 times and was the best team in the east twice in that timeframe.

Nothing I said was about this season or this game.

A.) You’re zooming out to improve your argument

B.) They haven’t been worth a shit since Pinkel retired

C.) TN has won 5 of the last 7

D.) Our basketball and baseball programs are exponentially better than theirs

So yeah man, Mizzou sucks

A.) You’re zooming out to improve your argument

B.) They haven’t been worth a shit since Pinkel retired

C.) TN has won 5 of the last 7

D.) Our basketball and baseball programs are exponentially better than theirs

So yeah man, Mizzou sucks
And where has tenn finished in the standings the last 7? Above or below? If mizzou sucks, so do you. That’s all I am saying. For the record I didn’t say either sucked.

And head to head proves little. Purdue beat Ohio St a few years back. Were we better than them even that year?

Also I am not talking about basketball or baseball.

And where has tenn finished in the standings the last 7? Above or below? If mizzou sucks, so do you. That’s all I am saying. For the record I didn’t say either sucked.

And head to head proves little. Purdue beat Ohio St a few years back. Were we better than them even that year?

Well, this is likely the worst decade in Tennessee history, so I would say we have sucked.

I sure as hell wouldn’t trade program trajectory with Mizzou right now though.

I was referencing other programs when I said Mizzou doesn’t belong in the SEC. They’re definitely more competitive in football than anything else.

As mentioned before...the last decade has been the worst in the history of Tennessee football. With that being said, to respond to the question.

2021 - above MIZZOU
2020 - below MIZZOU
2019 - above MIZZOU
2018 - below MIZZOU
2017 - below MIZZOU
2016 - above MIZZOU
2015 - above MIZZOU

So, in the last 7 seasons UT has finished above Missouri 4 times and below them 3. In the history of Tennessee football, there have been 9 seasons with 7 or more losses (eight 7-loss seasons and one 8-loss season) . 3 of those 7+ loss seasons were in this 7 year stretch...all 3 of which, UT finished below Missouri in conference standings.

As mentioned before...the last decade has been the worst in the history of Tennessee football. With that being said, to respond to the question.

2021 - above MIZZOU
2020 - below MIZZOU
2019 - above MIZZOU
2018 - below MIZZOU
2017 - below MIZZOU
2016 - above MIZZOU
2015 - above MIZZOU

So, in the last 7 seasons UT has finished above Missouri 4 times and below them 3. In the history of Tennessee football, there have been 9 seasons with 7 or more losses (eight 7-loss seasons and one 8-loss season) . 3 of those 7+ loss seasons were in this 7 year stretch...all 3 of which, UT finished below Missouri in conference standings.
Again for the cheap seats. I am not saying Tennessee sucks. I do not think they do. I was responding to someone who repeatedly said Missouri sucks and doesn’t belong in the SEC. I responded by saying if that is the case the Tennessee is in a similar situation. The last 10 years (I chose that because that’s how long they have been in the SEC) Missouri has been better than Tennessee. If you disagree with that, then call them even. Tennessee certainly has not been better overall than Missouri since they have been in the SEC.

I personally don’t think either team sucks. I just think it’s ridiculous for a couple Tennessee fans to be that critical of a team that imo has been better than them since coming to the SEC.

Again for the cheap seats. I am not saying Tennessee sucks. I do not think they do. I was responding to someone who repeatedly said Missouri sucks and doesn’t belong in the SEC. I responded by saying if that is the case the Tennessee is in a similar situation. The last 10 years (I chose that because that’s how long they have been in the SEC) Missouri has been better than Tennessee. If you disagree with that, then call them even. Tennessee certainly has not been better overall than Missouri since they have been in the SEC.

I personally don’t think either team sucks. I just think it’s ridiculous for a couple Tennessee fans to be that critical of a team that imo has been better than them since coming to the SEC.
Since Missouri joined the league, they are 5-5 head to head vs Tennessee. Historically, Tennessee is a much better program...but Missouri's ceiling and Tennessee's basement have overlapped this past decade. For perspective:

In the history of the program (120 years), Missouri has had 6 season where they have won 10 or more games. Of those 6 seasons, 2 have been in the last 10 years (since joining the SEC). Missouri has had 40 seasons where they have lost 7 or more games. They have 6 seasons where they have lost 10 or more.

In their 117 year history, Tennessee has had 9 seasons where they have lost 7 or more games (Tennessee has had one 8 loss season and has never lost more than 8 games). Of those 9 seasons, 4 have been in the last 10 years (since Missouri joined the SEC). Tennessee has had 19 seasons where they have won 10 or more games with at least one in ever decade from the 1930s through the 2000s (with the exception of the 1960s). UT did not have any 10 win seasons in the 2010s or yet in the 2020s...

Their thought process (albeit possibly flawed) is that UT and Missouri will both return to the mean of what their programs have been historically...UT will return to being a very good (but not elite) program. Missouri will return to being a slightly below average program (and that the current 3 game winning streak that UT has over Missouri is a glimpse into what direction both programs are heading).

I will add that, personally, I like Missouri. I'm just trying to show the argument that a lot of UT fans have regarding the current state of their program. As for UT...coaching hires post Kiffin (until Heupel) have been a disaster. Josh Dobbs bailed Butch Jones out of the fire so many times...without him, UT has been garbage (for the most part) since 2007. Take out the '15 and '16 seasons where Dobbs was a 1 man show...and Missouri has definitely been the more stable program.

The people who say Missouri doesn't belong in the SEC are similar to Big-10 fans who would say that Rutgers and Maryland (or Nebraska, for that matter) don't belong in your conference. They are people who are stuck in 1980s mindsets of what conferences are or what they should be. Expansion has happened, and will happen again. The old farts have to just accept it and embrace the new normal.

Reactions: Beorik

Tennessee was one of the original teams in the SEC. it has nothing to do with the wins and losses of the last 10 years. Missouri is a transplant.

Not getting your money's worth?!

It's going to be a blast once TX and OK join.
Tennessee is in a bit of a slump, but we'll manage. Still top 10 in college football winning percentage (.671), top 10 in total wins for FBS programs, top 15 in attendance. It's a lot like Purdue's basketball program from the 2000-01 through the 2005-06 seasons (82-98 overall; 34-100 in conference). I'm sure when you were losing to Miami of Ohio, things probably seemed pretty bleak for the future of the program...but they were able to turn things around. We believe we can turn things around, too.

Reactions: VFL1970
Tennessee is in a bit of a slump, but we'll manage. Still top 10 in college football winning percentage (.671), top 10 in total wins for FBS programs, top 15 in attendance. It's a lot like Purdue's basketball program from the 2000-01 through the 2005-06 seasons (82-98 overall; 34-100 in conference). I'm sure when you were losing to Miami of Ohio, things probably seemed pretty bleak for the future of the program...but they were able to turn things around. We believe we can turn things around, too.
Hey, it's the season of "believing", so why not.

Adding TX and OK will help with that.

Reactions: pboiler18
Hey, it's the season of "believing", so why not.

Adding TX and OK will help with that.
Things are getting better. There was a time recently when we dropped so low that we had lost 5 games to Vanderbilt over 8 seasons (2011-2018). Could you imagine losing to an in state conference rival that you had a history of dominating 5 times in 8 seasons?

It got so bad that, in 2013, we only finished one spot ahead of them in recruiting rankings. So, at least we were beating them at something...but Could you imagine how much it would suck to have a losing streak and be out recruited by your in state conference rival? That was truly the low point of our program. Could you imagine? So...yes, we believe it will get better, as I'm sure other programs who struggle.

With that being said...Texas has had one 10-win season in the last 12 seasons. Do you think they were struggling because the Big-12 is so tough top to bottom? They are 2-4 against the SEC over the last 8 seasons. I'm sure that is what they needed to be successful.

Oklahoma is a contender year in and year out...but Texas has been a paper tiger since they won the NC in 2009 with 6 losing seasons since then. I was going to say that adding Texas to the SEC now is pretty similar to adding Nebraska to the Big-10 in 2011...but Nebraska had 3 10 win seasons in the 5 seasons leading up to them joining the Big 10.

Things are getting better. There was a time recently when we dropped so low that we had lost 5 games to Vanderbilt over 8 seasons (2011-2018). Could you imagine losing to an in state conference rival that you had a history of dominating 5 times in 8 seasons?

It got so bad that, in 2013, we only finished one spot ahead of them in recruiting rankings. So, at least we were beating them at something...but Could you imagine how much it would suck to have a losing streak and be out recruited by your in state conference rival? That was truly the low point of our program. Could you imagine? So...yes, we believe it will get better, as I'm sure other programs who struggle.

With that being said...Texas has had one 10-win season in the last 12 seasons. Do you think they were struggling because the Big-12 is so tough top to bottom? They are 2-4 against the SEC over the last 8 seasons. I'm sure that is what they needed to be successful.

Oklahoma is a contender year in and year out...but Texas has been a paper tiger since they won the NC in 2009 with 6 losing seasons since then. I was going to say that adding Texas to the SEC now is pretty similar to adding Nebraska to the Big-10 in 2011...but Nebraska had 3 10 win seasons in the 5 seasons leading up to them joining the Big 10.
Yeah, I get all that.

TX will eventually get their act together, just like you hope UT will.

Adding TX and OK won't help.

Not only was Tennessee one of the original teams...the initial meetings held to form the SEC were held in Knoxville. It is the birthplace of the SEC.
Purdue is an original member of what became the BIG conference and the Purdue President at the time, President Smart, initiated the discussions that led to the formation of the league in Chicago.

"...OK."

That's good. not sure you should be "worried" about anyone. Those additions aren't going to be any help restoring the luster to that UT brand. In fact, it would seem to be quite the opposite.
We will see how well they do when they start playing in the SEC. We play Bama and UGA every year. They are a lot tougher to play than Texas or OK.

OK.

Texas has the pick of the litter in a football rich state. I doubt they stay where they are. They've had their own d@mn network.

Again... Time will tell, and this should be interesting to watch.
The network failed. And they’re not even the best recruiting team in their own state. They hired a known bum as a HC and already has a few mini scandals 11 months in.

OK.

Texas has the pick of the litter in a football rich state. I doubt they stay where they are. They've had their own d@mn network.

Again... Time will tell, and this should be interesting to watch.
They won’t be the king of the SEC like they have been the big 12. They aren’t the best team in their own state.

Iowa and Michigan St were both frauds. Neither deserved being anywhere close to the top 10.

I’m regards to to TN/Bama, Ohio St/Purdue… to me the big difference there is TN/Bama was a legit ball game in the fourth quarter. A couple turnovers and going for it in our own territory is what led to Bama blowing the game wide open late.

Purdue/Ohio St was the exact opposite of that.

Frankly, I don’t make much of either, any comments I made on those games were in response to other posters.

As far as “my angle” is concerned, I don’t have one. I find it amusing that most retorts are filled with conjecture about the SEC being superior and me somehow being a conference pride homer. Im well aware of where Tennessee is on the National landscape and haven’t elevated them in any in-factual way. There’s a little-brother mentality that permeates our most recent B1G opponents (Iowa, NW, Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue).
Hey buddy, where ya been recently?

hey speaking of frauds how’s the mighty SEC doing in these bowl games? That’s why everyone has said to gtfoh with your SEC pumping. The SEC is perceived as good because they get the media coverage, which leads to more exposure for recruiting. If it weren’t for ESPN the SEC would be just another conference. And as we’re seeing they’re nothing special so far. Give us Karlaftis and Bell and we beat you by 10+. To bad we won’t get to see it. But I’m still not counting out a very short handed at this point Purdue

hey speaking of frauds how’s the mighty SEC doing in these bowl games? That’s why everyone has said to gtfoh with your SEC pumping. The SEC is perceived as good because they get the media coverage, which leads to more exposure for recruiting. If it weren’t for ESPN the SEC would be just another conference. And as we’re seeing they’re nothing special so far. Give us Karlaftis and Bell and we beat you by 10+. To bad we won’t get to see it. But I’m still not counting out a very short handed at this point Purdue
10+? So would you be willing to bet Purdue +11 since you believe those two are worth a 15 point swing?

10+? So would you be willing to bet Purdue +11 since you believe those two are worth a 15 point swing?
I would
And to be fair I think those two only are probably a 10 point swing. I think the other two receivers, the defensive lineman and the corner are probably worth 5.
Straight up -100 or what are you thinking?

I would
And to be fair I think those two only are probably a 10 point swing. I think the other two receivers, the defensive lineman and the corner are probably worth 5.
Straight up -100 or what are you thinking?
So you believe that Purdue loses (close) and it’s only just because those two aren’t playing?

I wouldn’t necessarily say +11 is a close loss. However yes I do believe Purdue keeps it within 11 and I do believe that with both Bell and Karlaftis it’s a Purdue win by 10 as I said

Lol

SEC now 0-3 after Texas Tech ass whoopin of Miss St. But that’s just another one we all saw coming, right?

Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT