ADVERTISEMENT

Shephard leaving?

Bumping this back to the top. Any news at all? Seems odd that rumors were running, then nothing came up nor did anything get squelched.

Seems he decided to stay and tend to his flock

I'll see myself out
Notre Dame chose the WR Coach from Baylor (former player at Clemson who coached in NFL). Shepard was announced as moving to Washington shortly thereafter. He chose his safety school it seems.

Looks like a lateral move. Away from home. Likely not $$. That’s disappointing.
He got a $300,000 raise. Asst Head Coach. Some reports say he turned down ND which only offered $650,000. UW has gone to 3 NY6 bowls with 1 CFP in the last 5 years. Rose, Fiesta and Peach

He got a $300,000 raise. Asst Head Coach. Some reports say he turned down ND which only offered $650,000. UW has gone to 3 NY6 bowls with 1 CFP in the last 5 years. Rose, Fiesta and Peach
Not sure where you got these numbers but he was making about $450k at Purdue. I would expect Purdue would have matched $650k from Notre Dame which is probably more than $750k in Seattle with the cost of living out there. Hes 38 I doubt he would make this decision on that incremental amount when he has a long career ahead of him. The most believable reason I have seen here is his wife didn't like living in Indiana. You are going to base their program on a 3 year run 3 coaches ago and otherwise have done squat since they played us in 2001? How about they havent been to any bowl games the past 2 seasons and Purdue has been to 1? Did you see Washingtons recruiting class this year? A future with DeBoer is not a career enhancing move...

Reactions: Poprudy
Not sure where you got these numbers but he was making about $450k at Purdue. I would expect Purdue would have matched $650k from Notre Dame which is probably more than $750k in Seattle with the cost of living out there. Hes 38 I doubt he would make this decision on that incremental amount when he has a long career ahead of him. The most believable reason I have seen here is his wife didn't like living in Indiana. You are going to base their program on a 3 year run 3 coaches ago and otherwise have done squat since they played us in 2001? How about they havent been to any bowl games the past 2 seasons and Purdue has been to 1? Did you see Washingtons recruiting class this year? A future with DeBoer is not a career enhancing move...
And the fact USC is about to make a run at the top of the conference again. Utes and UCLA are going to be right behind, then probably a trailing Oregon program. I actually think Deboer is a proven coach. Huge uphill battle....time will tell.

That coach is long gone. Chris Peterson left and Washington was very poor since.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
This is good for shep. I hope he grows over the next few years and if brohm does end up leaving at some point.. shep is on the short list to replace him

This is good for shep. I hope he grows over the next few years and if brohm does end up leaving at some point.. shep is on the short list to replace him
If he was really head coach material no way we let him walk over $. If it’s brohm then it makes sense. But if his wife doesn’t like WL then no he wouldn’t be on the short list.

I just think this is a poor move. It’s like when a young engineer tells me he’s going to take the same job at another place that is not as high profile for 20% more. I look at him in the eye and tell him if it’s just about money we can work it out but 10 years from now he will regret the decision. Will working for DeBoer as a WR coach help him get closer to his ultimate goal (assume it’s a HC) easier than working under brohm who has a steady talent of WR and proven track record? Washington’s got a good QB in Huard but not exactly flush with 4 star WRs. Also DeBoer does not have the same track record as Brohm.

I just think this is a poor move. It’s like when a young engineer tells me he’s going to take the same job at another place that is not as high profile for 20% more. I look at him in the eye and tell him if it’s just about money we can work it out but 10 years from now he will regret the decision. Will working for DeBoer as a WR coach help him get closer to his ultimate goal (assume it’s a HC) easier than working under brohm who has a steady talent of WR and proven track record? Washington’s got a good QB in Huard but not exactly flush with 4 star WRs. Also DeBoer does not have the same track record as Brohm.
Shepard helped recruit a lot of the WRs here, and probably thinks he can do the same at UW.

If he was really head coach material no way we let him walk over $. If it’s brohm then it makes sense. But if his wife doesn’t like WL then no he wouldn’t be on the short list.
It’s probably that he can’t grow anymore here than he already has

Reactions: BoilerN
If deboer is not as capable as brohm or let’s shephard have more control than brohm would.. it’s a win for shephard

Also, we are gonna lose good coaches. I’d rather lose a couple now and have good replacements come in than have a 10 or even 11 win season at some point and if we keep brohm we lose almost all of them at once

He gets to work with Penix throwing to his receivers at UW.

Who said Purdue let him walk? Maybe he was ready to go? Especially considering he's a step closer to a head coaching job.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
Deboer has a great track record over the past few years. If staying with Brohm would get Shepherd an OC or HC job, then why hasn't he gotten one in 5 years? Deboer went to a non bowling iu for 2 years and ended up head coach of Washington 2 years later.

Reactions: BCfanatic2020
And the fact USC is about to make a run at the top of the conference again. Utes and UCLA are going to be right behind, then probably a trailing Oregon program. I actually think Deboer is a proven coach. Huge uphill battle....time will tell.
Oregon with NIL support (Phil Knight - Nike) is well known to support the Ducks at all costs. Look for a great recruiting class in the near future.

Taylor Stubblefield if he is good enough r/c coach at Penn State he is good enough to coach at Purdue where he was a player and a damm good one
Had the same thoughts earlier in this thread. See that Taylor has both Miami FL and Penn State WR coaching experience. What I remember most was his choo-choo train signaling on his TD run at ND when we thumped them. The other rememberance was he was quick and had knack for good technique in his route running to get separation...not top end speed, but quickness for sure.
Will be interesting to see whom gets tabbed the next WR coach.

Had the same thoughts earlier in this thread. See that Taylor has both Miami FL and Penn State WR coaching experience. What I remember most was his choo-choo train signaling on his TD run at ND when we thumped them. The other rememberance was he was quick and had knack for good technique in his route running to get separation...not top end speed, but quickness for sure.
Will be interesting to see whom gets tabbed the next WR coach.
And good train horn pulling technique while breaking away for a 97 yard TD.

If deboer is not as capable as brohm or let’s shephard have more control than brohm would.. it’s a win for shephard
I would agree with that but he’s third in line on the offense like he was at Purdue. What can be prove at UW that he can’t prove under Brohm? If he wants to be a position coach the rest of his career I would say this is a good move as they are marginally better program and he gets a refresh of 3-4 years min there. If he wants to be an OC why not just stay at Purdue and wait until he gets that opportunity?

Taylor Stubblefield if he is good enough r/c coach at Penn State he is good enough to coach at Purdue where he was a player and a damm good one
I am a big fan of hiring alum as at a mid level school guys aren’t going to bolt for marginally better jobs like Shep just did.

Deboer has a great track record over the past few years. If staying with Brohm would get Shepherd an OC or HC job, then why hasn't he gotten one in 5 years? Deboer went to a non bowling iu for 2 years and ended up head coach of Washington 2 years later.
Deboer left Fresno state because it was a big promotion to P5 OC. He left after one year for HC job. All expected movements. I could see Shep leaving Purdue to get OC job at a non P5 school. I can’t tell you why he hasn’t done ther yet, it’s probably a big pay cut but gets him play calling experience. My whole point is I don’t understand his motivation as this is a bit of an unusual move.

Deboer left Fresno state because it was a big promotion to P5 OC. He left after one year for HC job. All expected movements. I could see Shep leaving Purdue to get OC job at a non P5 school. I can’t tell you why he hasn’t done ther yet, it’s probably a big pay cut but gets him play calling experience. My whole point is I don’t understand his motivation as this is a bit of an unusual move.
Hes been at Purdue for 5 years. If he was gonna get one, he'd have gotten one. Now he gets a big pay raise and to be associate head coach and passing game coordinator under another great offensive mind. I don't understand how this is difficult. He left Purdue for a job that is better than Purdue looking at recent history and took a pay raise and a bigger title.

Nothing against Shepard, but Bell and Moore were going to be great no matter who was coaching them.

I did like what he did with Wright this year, helping him overcome his early struggles catching the football.

Hes been at Purdue for 5 years. If he was gonna get one, he'd have gotten one. Now he gets a big pay raise and to be associate head coach and passing game coordinator under another great offensive mind. I don't understand how this is difficult. He left Purdue for a job that is better than Purdue looking at recent history and took a pay raise and a bigger title.
IMHO nearly 24 hrs later, you have to be happy for Coach Shepard. He grew as a coach, had success with WRs & could recruit & teach them the skills for on field performance. It translates to this opportunity. I suspect he leaves Purdue with good memories and will speak highly of his time at Purdue. It sure as hell beats leaving with sour grapes.
At first pass, it will be tough to replace him. The next person will likely have similar skillset and could continue to build on his success. Purdue shouldn't have to beg WR's to look our way with Coach Brohm not being afraid to throw the ball early and often.
This is an excellent opportunity for another up and comer!

Last edited:
Nothing against Shepard, but Bell and Moore were going to be great no matter who was coaching them.

I did like what he did with Wright this year, helping him overcome his early struggles catching the football.
What he got out of the receivers his first year was absolutely outstanding. This is also true of the eventual weapons that Zico and Terry Wright became.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT