ADVERTISEMENT

Loyalty...our team didn't lose anyone unexpected to the portal

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
The fact that we didn't lose any of our up-and-coming stars to the portal says a lot about the character and makeup of our team, from the head coach all the way down to the student managers. It lends credence to the "family" footing that Coach Painter has taken with regards to our program.

The NPOY came back because of loyalty and camaradarie.

There have been reports that teams were throwing big $$ numbers at Braden Smith and he didn't budge. Loyalty.

Our freshman athletes must have had the kitchen sink thrown at them from other coaches/boosters/players and no one budged. That's loyalty.

We have upper classmen that were starters last year and barely saw the floor this season but they didn't complain or enter the portal. Loyalty.

I love our team, our coach and our program. We didn't go out and buy hired guns like other teams (*ahem...looking down south). They can celebrate any success they find using that approach, but I like our approach better. I feel like buying an entirely new team every year will have recruiting and culture consequences in the long run.

We have been able to weather the new NIL and Transfer Portal rules for the last 2 to 3 years. I think that is due to Painter getting team players who except their roles, not players that have to be the main star.

However, as college athletics continues to get bigger tv contracts and other forms of revenue, it will eventually start to effect our program too. For some kids in the future, the money will be too big of a factor to say no to and who can blame them.

We need a big booster to add a lot to NIL. Players will end up wanting money over program success. I don't totally blame them. But if they can get both that's what they really want.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
However, as college athletics continues to get bigger tv contracts and other forms of revenue, it will eventually start to effect our program too. For some kids in the future, the money will be too big of a factor to say no to and who can blame them.

Our NIL leadership knows, or should know this, and be ready for the moment.

I applaud the team culture, the coach and the NIL leadership here for making it happen. Most of all those returning Boiler brothers who want to stay together and fight for another B10 championship.
Boiler up!

Loyalty would have been Smith taking a million plus in the portal and donating half to Purdue basketball NIL, thus tripling the budget to take care of Purdue players this season.

• Haha
Reactions: Schnelk
What would a fan of Indinia know about loyalty? Have you taken a look at your team lately?
Hey maaaan. They just won the off season...again!

Middawgs seen more offseason championships than he has seen IU win actual tournament games/meaningful games so let him have his day.

Lose Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BoilerAndy
I like how Painter talks in terms of the players doing what's right for them for the next 50 years, not just the next 4 years. That includes getting a degree from Purdue and all that comes with being a former player that gave his blood, sweat, and tears to the program for 4 years. Thinking long term. Tough to do at age 18, but I'm sure it resonates with many of their parents.

There’s more to this sport than chasing money and individual paydays.

Some kids still want to win and play team ball. Painter has proven you can get good players and win too without breaking the bank.

I am happy that more programs DONT go this route. Less competition for the kids that do want to come here, get better and play winning ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT