ADVERTISEMENT

Rob Phinisee has named his top two schools

Dandelion1972

Sophomore
Aug 24, 2002
West Lafayette
I somewhat even hate to post this and so you don't have to read all the tripe:

"But whether anything close to that happens again or not, his top two options of Butler and Cincinnati should have told you all you need to know about the man who hit two of the biggest game-winners for IU in the last decade.

And that he’ll be a Bulldog or Bearcat — and not a Boilermaker — should make pulling for him next season go from impossible to easy."

If you want to torture yourself:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/rob...-top-two-schools-and-who-they-are-says-a-lot/

"But whether anything close to that happens again or not, his top two options of Butler and Cincinnati should have told you all you need to know about the man who hit two of the biggest game-winners for IU in the last decade.

And that he’ll be a Bulldog or Bearcat — and not a Boilermaker — should make pulling for him next season go from impossible to easy."

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/rob...-top-two-schools-and-who-they-are-says-a-lot/
The fact that he is choosing Cincinnati or Butler over Indinia tells you all you need to know.

I am glad Phinisee is not considering Purdue. He had his chance to play for the Boilers but he chose IU. I remember reading several months ago that Painter offered the last Purdue scholarship to Hunter and Phinisee, who ever wanted it first. Phinisee had his chance.
He’ll be choosing from among two schools that offered him an opportunity to play there. ‘Nuff said. Good luck to him.

it tells me he'd rather play basketball than actually pursue an academic education/degree. he's picking 2 schools for a chance to play more basketball verses their graduate programs.

it tells me he'd rather play basketball than actually pursue an academic education/degree. he's picking 2 schools for a chance to play more basketball verses their graduate programs.
Butler has an excellent academic reputation. I can't speak to Cincinnati, but others here think it's good too. However, when you think about it, why would he not go to one of these two schools? I'm not sure he would start for Purdue, and if we get Pack, Phinny might not see the floor.

Depends on his major. IU to Butler or Cinci is likely a sideways move, academically. Unless he's a music major. If he gets a degree in a marketable major, gets decent grades while participating in major college athletics, he'll do fine.

He is a good/nice kid...no doubt had his reasons for leaving home to go to Indinia...the fact that he has the chance to continue to play and end his career somewhere that he feels will be best for him is great.

I know that Painter was a big fan, and, remains one....that is enough for me to lend credence to what I had said initially.

Reactions: Dandelion1972
Literally impossible to know that, but, the idiocy of the statement aligns with the fact that he was never appreciated there to the extent that he should have been.
I recall how much the IU fans crowed about Phinny, and how he was going to be great. He was an important part of their off-season championship season last summer. Too bad he fell to this level in the eyes of at least these ungrateful fans

I agree with Dandelion'a assessment.

Personally I think he is a good player and will be missed at IU.

Last edited:
Neither will Pack. He’s not a true point guard but he can shoot it. Jury still out wether he can run a team at the lead point.
Does "the jury's" answer include being a complete douche on the floor at all times...leading a walkout from the team hotel the night before a game to get high...and, driving recklessly at close to 100 mph after drinking and then trying to lie repeatedly about it?

Does he need to know how to spell "wHether", or, maybe you were even more confused and were trying to say "weather"?

Here is something the jury is not still out on...whether or not Purdue owns Indinia in basketball...the verdict is in on that.

Reactions: Level 42
Does "the jury's" answer include being a complete douche on the floor at all times...leading a walkout from the team hotel the night before a game to get high...and, driving recklessly at close to 100 mph after drinking and then trying to lie repeatedly about it?

Does he need to know how to spell "wHether", or, maybe you were even more confused and were trying to say "weather"?

Here is something the jury is not still out on...whether or not Purdue owns Indinia in basketball...the verdict is in on that.
Why be emotional? I’m not or will not argue about any of what you posted. Sure I misspelled whether. Nice catch. I would love to have a shooter like pack that’s not debatable. Him being a point guard is though.

Sorry, sorry, sorry!! You are not the ungrateful IU fans I was posting about. I agree with your assessment!

Original post now corrected.

Thanks! Not sure what I was missing, but I thought I was criticizing the typical Indinia homer boys. I'm fairly neutral toward Phinnie.

Literally impossible to know that, but, the idiocy of the statement aligns with the fact that he was never appreciated there to the extent that he should have been.
As an IU fan, I very much appreciated Rob. He's one of my favorite players because he busted his butt every day and gave all he had to help the team. He fought through a lot of injuries too, and that may have played into his results on the court. He seems like a great kid off the floor.

That being said, he never turned into the starting PG that most thought he would. He was too hesitant and didn't have the quickness or quick decision making needed to break down a defense. He showed sparks that always got me excited about what he could be....but it was never consistent. Xavier was by far our best PG last year, and next year I prefer Hood-Schifino get minutes behind X so he can develop. Rob simply was not going to get as many minutes as he wants, so I hope he gets it at Butler or Cincinatti and has a fantastic year.

Reactions: 5 to 0
Those two schools do offer degrees…. His major was sports marketing. Let’s not pretend he’s leaving an MIT engineering curriculum.

He is a good/nice kid...no doubt had his reasons for leaving home to go to Indinia...the fact that he has the chance to continue to play and end his career somewhere that he feels will be best for him is great.

I know that Painter was a big fan, and, remains one....that is enough for me to lend credence to what I had said initially.
But not enough of one to offer him this time around……?????

But not enough of one to offer him this time around……?????
I/we don't know that he didn't...they expressed interest I know. Maybe it was not reciprocated.

My point was simply that Painter liked some of his skills and traits in HS, and, during his time at Indinia...I shared that for the most part.

All a moot point now.

I/we don't know that he didn't...they expressed interest I know. Maybe it was not reciprocated.

My point was simply that Painter liked some of his skills and traits in HS, and, during his time at Indinia...I shared that for the most part.

All a moot point now.
If Purdue offered him this time around, he’d already have accepted. You can take that to the bank.

Reactions: DAG10

Wow! DAG10 must be so smart, but not smart enough to hide the fact that Indiana clearly owns significant space in his mind.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Wow! DAG10 must be so smart, but not smart enough to hide the fact that Indiana clearly owns significant space in his mind.
You realize you posted that while on a Purdue forum right? And get it right, it's "Indinia"

One thing hasn't changed since I was last year and that is IU's obsession with what we think here. How many times you been banned?

If Purdue offered him this time around, he’d already have accepted. You can take that to the bank.
This is correct. He and MP spoke, and RP is choosing from two schools where he has an opportunity. Had the opportunity existed at Purdue, the choice would’ve already been made. Glad a good kid is getting the chance for a fresh start, if only for a year. Hope he goes into a winning culture.

You realize you posted that while on a Purdue forum right? And get it right, it's "Indinia"

One thing hasn't changed since I was last year and that is IU's obsession with what we think here. How many times you been banned?
I have never been banned because I don’t bash Purdue. Purdue is a great school, has a solid men’s basketball program and I really like Matt Painter.

I am curious on the thoughts from Purdue fans about their basketball program. I don’t really care what Purdue fans think about Indiana basketball. The insecurity of some of the posters on this forum is embarrassing, but it is comical how some posters are so bitter and ate up.

This is correct. He and MP spoke, and RP is choosing from two schools where he has an opportunity. Had the opportunity existed at Purdue, the choice would’ve already been made. Glad a good kid is getting the chance for a fresh start, if only for a year. Hope he goes into a winning culture.
I think it's kinda like that, but probably a little different:

Opportunity certainly currently exists for a player with Rob's skillset at Purdue, but I would speculate that CMP and the Phinisee family also discussed whether the spotlight of moving from IU to Purdue would be a wise decision for him when he can get equal opportunity at other P5 schools, without all the rivalry in-state drama.

Reactions: DAG10 and 5 to 0
I think it's kinda like that, but probably a little different:

Opportunity certainly currently exists for a player with Rob's skillset at Purdue, but I would speculate that CMP and the Phinisee family also discussed whether the spotlight of moving from IU to Purdue would be a wise decision for him when he can get equal opportunity at other P5 schools, without all the rivalry in-state drama.
No, it was like I stated. Your speculation really doesn’t have legs. Much more realistic speculation is that, as much as he enjoyed his time at IU, he would’ve said ”yes” a little quicker four and a half years ago. He’s not a backward looking guy and I wouldn’t say he is regretful, but . . .

Hope he’s able to get to a program that values and practices a winning culture.

Reactions: DAG10
No, it was like I stated. Your speculation really doesn’t have legs. Much more realistic speculation is that, as much as he enjoyed his time at IU, he would’ve said ”yes” a little quicker four and a half years ago. He’s not a backward looking guy and I wouldn’t say he is regretful, but . . .

Hope he’s able to get to a program that values and practices a winning culture.
For sure I am speculating-trying to piece the logic together.

The part of your post that I bolded is interesting. Do you think his Purdue offer was pulled 4 1/2 years ago when someone else committed? I've never heard that his Purdue offer was pulled before. Or, do you have a connection to the Phinisee family that makes you sure your take is more realistic speculation?

For sure I am speculating-trying to piece the logic together.

The part of your post that I bolded is interesting. Do you think his Purdue offer was pulled 4 1/2 years ago when someone else committed? I've never heard that his Purdue offer was pulled before. Or, do you have a connection to the Phinisee family that makes you sure your take is more realistic speculation?
There was one GIA available and two players under consideration. One person was ready to make a commitment, and did. The other person was unsure and not able to commit. Nothing was “pulled” and that was never implied. Sorry you made that inference, as it isn't accurate.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT