ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Hall and Bill Keller

I liked Keller and Sichting. I will admit I only knew Keller as a pro and not his college days. Parkinson was 2 years before I arrived. He was not the same after his injury because his role had changed upon his return with Parker and Sighting. When he returned, it was very hard to get maximum usage and efficiency from all three guards. Parkinson just didn’t mesh with Parker and Sighting and the other new players.

Last edited:
Ricky Hall out of Ft. Wayne Concordia was Cat Quick.....still one of my all-time favorite Boilers. He could guard for sure and got better on offense. Braden Smith can do it all on offense and can certainly produce on defense - has some of the best anticipation I have seen in a while.

All great Boilers - and appreciated.

Before my time - wish I could have seen Billy Keller play - glad to see he's still connected to the program after all these years.

Billy Keller was such a great player and would have had a much higher scoring average if he had not passed so often to Mount, Herm, and underneath.. All eyes were often glued to what Mount would do next, but the 3 gourd combo of Keller, Mount, and Gillium is the best 3 guard group I have seen in college.

Billy Keller was such a great player and would have had a much higher scoring average if he had not passed so often to Mount, Herm, and underneath.. All eyes were often glued to what Mount would do next, but the 3 gourd combo of Keller, Mount, and Gillium is the best 3 guard group I have seen in college.
I remember a comment after Purdue beat North Carolina 92-65 in the 1969 FF semi-final game, that Keller would wow you with his outside shooting on any team that didn’t have Mount,

Ricky Hall out of Ft. Wayne Concordia was Cat Quick.....still one of my all-time favorite Boilers. He could guard for sure and got better on offense. Braden Smith can do it all on offense and can certainly produce on defense - has some of the best anticipation I have seen in a while.

All great Boilers - and appreciated.

Before my time - wish I could have seen Billy Keller play - glad to see he's still connected to the program after all these years.
I didn’t consider defense a strength of Smith’s until recently, but I think that he is becoming a very good defender. His ability to anticipate and understand what is happening on the court appears to really be translating to defense as well as offense. I thought that he was great against Walker and MSU. Just like Hall developed into a very good offensive player to go with his defense, I see Smith developing into a very good defensive player to go with his offense.

I didn’t consider defense a strength of Smith’s until recently, but I think that he is becoming a very good defender. His ability to anticipate and understand what is happening on the court appears to really be translating to defense as well as offense. I thought that he was great against Walker and MSU. Just like Hall developed into a very good offensive player to go with his defense, I see Smith developing into a very good defensive player to go with his offense.
Agreed. I feel the on ball defense was his “greatest weakness”, as he was great off the ball in anticipation of where the ball may be going and being able to create havoc/steals. However, if he can continue to play defense vs guards in March like he did against Walker, then he will make it very tough for opposing teams to beat Purdue. Hope we see it again tonight and moving forward!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT